Gaming No Man's Sky | 25th May New FREE Update: Leviathan

Shark

@NotShark
Despite the size of it, it doesn't really look like there's an awful lot of depth to the game.
If not for the size, I don't think this game would be getting any attention. It honestly looks like Minecraft with slightly better visuals. The ''creatures'' look like they'll offer absolutely nothing, but simply being there, generated from basically the same core mechanics.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Despite the size of it, it doesn't really look like there's an awful lot of depth to the game.
Thats my worry. Apart from explore the Universe and name stuff is there enough to keep me interested?. Trading etc?. I havent really found out enough information telling me what I can do in the game. it feels like all the excitment is mostly based around its size.

Eriku

It's not. It won't even be released in 2016 I think, if so then very late into 2016. They've been branding this for ages already with no firm release date or even release window, they will just keep working on it forever and eventually release it very late.
Maybe you're right, but a lot of things make no sense if that's the case. Why on earth did IGN First give them so much exposure over the summer? Why have they been trotting it out at a number of conventions AND at a bloody late night show? It just doesn't seem like something that would happen if the game were as far away as not even being out a year from now.

I really hope you're wrong.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Maybe you're right, but a lot of things make no sense if that's the case. Why on earth did IGN First give them so much exposure over the summer? Why have they been trotting it out at a number of conventions AND at a bloody late night show? It just doesn't seem like something that would happen if the game were as far away as not even being out a year from now.

I really hope you're wrong.
Maybe they really thought they would be able to finish it by now but stumbled upon some unexpected issues. It's not feasible IMO not to have a release date on 5th of October and then release a rather anticipated game before the end of year. It won't be a full price game as they don't intend to release it in box (at least at the beginning) but it won't be a €5 game either, it will most likely be priced around €25 and you cannot release games like that overnight out of nowhere, especially in a busy Winter period where games will have a lot to occupy themselves with. IMO they're nowhere near ready but want to hype up the game and they've done well at that.

Eriku

Maybe they really thought they would be able to finish it by now but stumbled upon some unexpected issues. It's not feasible IMO not to have a release date on 5th of October and then release a rather anticipated game before the end of year. It won't be a full price game as they don't intend to release it in box (at least at the beginning) but it won't be a €5 game either, it will most likely be priced around €25 and you cannot release games like that overnight out of nowhere, especially in a busy Winter period where games will have a lot to occupy themselves with. IMO they're nowhere near ready but want to hype up the game and they've done well at that.
We'll see... I saw a list of Hello Games' announcements and releases for games, and there seemed to be a good number of releases following hot on the heels of the announcement of the release date, like a couple of weeks. And even if a winter release seems unlikely due to the volume of games released in that period, that doesn't rule out a 1st quarter of 2016 release.

I hope I'm bumping your skepticism a month from now ^_^

prolly not : (

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
So it has a release date - June 2016. Still expect at least one or two delays so it will probably be out in 2017.

Eriku

So it has a release date - June 2016. Still expect at least one or two delays so it will probably be out in 2017.
It's a weirdly managed campaign. You'd think that Sean Murray wouldn't go on Colbert and what have you unless the product was close to finished? Or maybe it's waiting for June because that's when HG/Sony reckon it has the best shot at making a splash?

I really hope they stick with the date... at least this means I can stop checking for news every week.

Sweet Square

Was listening to Jim Sterling's Podcast(Podquistion)and Laura K Buzz who's a regular member and writer for Kotaku said some interesting things. The biggest being that the stuff we saw of the game at last E3 was actually played using a PC and not a Playstation, also that it due to be play tested at a event recently but they had to cancel because the game just can't run on a Playstation and can just about run on a PC.

So yeah can't see it coming out for a very long long time.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
From what I've seen so far it doesn't look that interesting

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Simultaneous release on PS4 and PC
June 22 in Europe (June 24 in UK).

Disc release confirmed (and a Limited Edition)

Hi everyone. First off, the big news: we’re very excited to announce that No Man’s Sky launches in Europe on 22nd June 2016 (24th June in the UK). Players will be able to start exploring Hello Games‘ procedurally generated universe and claiming their discoveries from then on.

The second piece of news is that there WILL be a Blu-ray version of No Man’s Sky hitting shops near you. We know some people have guessed at this already, but we’re pleased to be able to officially confirm it.

In the background, Sean Murray has been working with Dave Gibbons (co-creator of Watchmen and Kingsman), James Swallow (Mass Effect, Star Wars, Deus Ex writer) and famous sci-fi book cover artist Angus McKie to create a comic book sharing some of the lore of the game. We all thought it would be cool to include this along with a gorgeous art book from the game, a SteelBook with unique artwork of the Atlas, and a dynamic theme by Mr Div (well-known 3D visual artist and creator of the No Man’s Sky logo) in the Limited Edition we’re also releasing.

Bojan11

Still do not know what this game is about apart from it being hyped a lot and few people moaning that it's going to be full price.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Still do not know what this game is about apart from it being hyped a lot and few people moaning that it's going to be full price.
its meant to be an enormous almost never ending game

Not sure how people can complain about the price

Castia

Ratchet and Clank in April, Uncharted in May and No Mans Sky in June is a nice line up for PS4 in the coming months.

Eriku

Aaaawww yisss!

Gonna be a good game year. Dark Souls III, No Man's Sky, Deus Ex, the Last Guardian, and those are just the games I'm particularly excited about. Then there's the release of VR, which I would not least relish to plat NMS through. :drool:

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Don't supposed you're able to play this without avoiding...people...are you? Not an MMO fan.

Also look like they're appealing to the Star Wars market with that ship.

Ubik

The scale of the universe is so big that you're not likely to come across anybody if you play online.
Presuming the gameplay is up to scratch, could be mind bogglingly good. From that video posted above with the ships, combat and whatever - are they AI or is it just that you can find plenty of others online if you want to?

Eriku

Presuming the gameplay is up to scratch, could be mind bogglingly good. From that video posted above with the ships, combat and whatever - are they AI or is it just that you can find plenty of others online if you want to?
I don't think the game's meant to even facilitate you finding someone else, even if you wanted to. At least I've not seen anything from the developers to indicate that. And yeah, there's plenty of other ships that are just guided by AI.

I've been drooling about this game for nigh on 2 years now, I really hope it captures my attention the way I hope it will :)

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
This Preview has some interesting Info & Scenario's:

In the immediate term, the gameplay loop focuses on staying alive long enough to continue your journey. Remember that -163 degrees Celsius planet? Well, you have a shield technology that slowly falls away as you explore the planet. To recharge it, you need more resources. But there are challenges inherent to finding them; as it’s not as simple as just picking some plant. You probably need a better weapon, and on this planet there are NPCs that you could trade with, if you could speak to them. If you find artifacts out in the world, or even just chit-chat with the various life forms throughout the universe, you can learn their languages and increase your ability to trade or purchase items.

In other cases, you may run across a refinery that has a locked door. You could hack that door if you have the right technology, but a good old fashioned gun will blow the entrance wide open. Whenever you attack anything on a planet or in space for that matter, you raise your wanted level, much like in Grand Theft Auto. If you’re on a planet when that happens, it draws the attention of the sentinels, a self-replicating robot army. That means if you blow that door open, you need to get inside, download the plans for a new technology, and then get out of range and off the planet before the sentinels overpower you.

In my time with the game, I spent a lot of time wandering the surface of Bulari V, scanning animals and looking for resources. I built a grenade that could deform the world, which is useful for finding caves, but all I managed to do was dig a hole. I recharged my shield numerous times, one time in a bit of a panic. Bringing up the item creation interface doesn’t pause the game, which means you may sometimes be racing to complete the job as the cold of the planet tries to kill you. I managed to fight off death in time, and I also found a lot of artifacts and learned a lot of alien words, an experience I found oddly engaging.

After some time planetside, I hopped in my space ship and headed into orbit. I could have entered the space station, as they do have interiors. Instead, I decided to rob a space freighter and run to a far-off planet before the vastly more powerful fleet destroyed me. On this new planet I tried to avoid most of the indigenous creatures, but of course, one of them had to come after me; creatures become particularly aggressive at night. I shot and killed it with the mentality of kill or be killed. This brought the sentinels, who arrived to check out the situation. They didn’t attack because I didn’t start it, but they decided to follow me around for a bit while I explored the planet. Their presence certainly made the decision to blow something up a lot more difficult.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/n...ing-the-galaxy-firsthand-in-no-man-s-sky.aspx
:drool:

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
you would assume that in eliete dangerous (which has thousands of players over a full size Galaxy replica) you would never find others but there is a core where most people are clustered so interaction is there if you want it - I guess if the developers want to work that in to the game they can have trade routes, hub planets / stations etc that bring people into the same areas

b82REZ

Can't wait for this. I've just picked up Rebel Galaxy to scratch my itch for some space piracy in the meantime.

Ubik

Just read the preview on Gamespot, holy cow the ambition involved. Like a very advanced version of FTL by the sounds of it, though it's still to be seen whether losing the simplicity of that game also takes away the fun. Pretty mental though that over 99.9% of the planets in the universe will never even get visited by any player.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Just read the preview on Gamespot, holy cow the ambition involved. Like a very advanced version of FTL by the sounds of it, though it's still to be seen whether losing the simplicity of that game also takes away the fun. Pretty mental though that over 99.9% of the planets in the universe will never even get visited by any player.
I still feel torn on this. On the one hand, I love the look of it and think it could be a unique experience. On the other, am not sure if it is just TOO big. There could be a chance that you basically never see another real player. At some point maybe it becomes just too big. Being the first person to name a species sounds cool - but once you realise that no one else is ever likely to visit the same planet as you, it feels a bit redundant. Like being first in a race when you're the only one competing.

Also, they said they have adjusted things for the reviewers so that they always land on planets that have some points of interest. For the game itself, there is a good chance that you land on a dull, lifeless planet with no redeeming features (except for being pretty maybe). The balance needs to be done right in that regard.

I will get it - unless reviews are shocking - because it sounds like a unique experience and one that I will probably return to over time.

Eriku

I have curbed my hype since "soon" became "Joon" late last year, and we knew it wasn't just 'round the corner. This update, with new details, footage and a solid date, have completely revved me up again. I can't imagine this game not becoming a favourite for me :)

I am totally roleplaying this. Might even make a captain's blog. My first playthrough (if there is such a thing as playing through this beast) will be one conducted in accordance with Star Trek ideals, mainly wanting to explore, be diplomatic, and not scar the planets and civilisations I come across ^_^

TheSamulator

classic sam. they love me, tbh
would love it if i could have a wank ingame.

want to spread my seed across the galaxy. tbh want to do that in real life too but it's not so easy.

Eriku

would love it if i could have a wank ingame.

want to spread my seed across the galaxy. tbh want to do that in real life too but it's not so easy.
Panspermia? Feel free. With the size of the galaxy, I'd say there's a bigger chance that some of your actual sperm makes it into my house than your in-game sperm making it to one of the planets I'll be visiting.

TheSamulator

classic sam. they love me, tbh
Panspermia? Feel free. With the size of the galaxy, I'd say there's a bigger chance that some of your actual sperm makes it into my house than your in-game sperm making it to one of the planets I'll be visiting.
er yeah that's what i meant.

Cool. i bet this game doesn't run on my lappy anyways so you're probably safe from my virtual spunk.

Oo0AahCantona

I really wish the multiplayer aspect was a bigger focus. for me the games which have kept me the most occupied have allways had a strong multiplayer component. being able to party up and explore the galaxy with mates/fight over territory could have been such a cool dynamic.