No midfield reinforcements

Mibabalou

53', 93', 94', 99', 90+1', 90+3', 26', 34'
Team is horribly unbalanced, only midfield I have any faith in is McT mostly because he runs around a lot. I don’t think we can play any combo of Pogba - matic/Fred/McT and be functional.

We need two CMs behind Pogba once we realize Mata / Lingard won’t work as 10s and Pogba is better off just being the 10.

Wish we still had ander :(

Ranchero

Team is horribly unbalanced, only midfield I have any faith in is McT mostly because he runs around a lot. I don’t think we can play any combo of Pogba - matic/Fred/McT and be functional.

We need two CMs behind Pogba once we realize Mata / Lingard won’t work as 10s and Pogba is better off just being the 10.

Wish we still had ander :(
McTom, for me, is a sub at best right now. Would not get into the Leicester or Wolves sides.

And i think United should be playing with one CDM like. City. And two in front more creative that can go box to box centrally, say. Pogba and Fernandes.

But neither Pogba or Fernandes could be at Old Trafford by the time the transfer window shuts foe the rest of the world (it seems) in a month's time.

Ranchero

It scares me that we are a Pogba injury from having a bottom half level midfield. Even with Pogba, it's still not a top 6 midfield.
Lukaku appears to be going for £65m. Plus £12m addons. Whether those addons are real money remains to be be seen.

The money is no use to us unless we invest it and i will lay bets we wont.

Cointinho available for £80m. We should be all over that.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Lukaku appears to be going for £65m. Plus £12m addons. Whether those addons are real money remains to be be seen.

We need a DM and CM, not another fecking roaming left winger.

Ranchero

We need a DM and CM, not another fecking roaming left winger.
He can play centrally...but hey, id rather we went for Fernandes.

We need to be doing something otherwise it is another diabolical transfer window.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Absolute shambles that we didn’t sign a DM or Herrera replacement. fecked it especially when considering we have to try and get the best out of Pogba.

SaintMuppet

One day before the end of the transfer window and it looks like we will not be strengthening our poor midfield.

It baffles me that the Fernandes speculation appears to be just that and then we are and then we are not interested in Eriksen of Spurs.

Seems Eriksen is interested in Spain.

Coutinho available but no word of a United interest.

And there will be concerns over whether Pogba leaves because he is the only midfielder of real quality we have.

Meanwhile there has been briefings to the BBC that we are in talks with other targets but as the window closes at 5pm on Thursday, there is an acknowledgment the chance of completing deals is not high.

Why do we always seem to be in this desperate position.

Meanwhile Spurs who are far better in that department have strengthened and are looking to improve even more.

Even City's mint midfield has been added to.

And if Lukaku goes for cash that will in effect pay for Maguire with no plans for a replacement.

So replacing Herrera and Fellaini is not looking on at all.

While the defensive acquisitions are welcomed and required the badly needed reinforcements in that midfield engine room will leave us desperately short with even the likes of Wolves ( who have been quietly cunning and effective in this window), Leicester (with Tielemans in tow) and Arsenal looking healthier in that department.

Anyone who thinks a McTominay-Matic axis is good enough has to be living in a fairy tale land.

If Lukaku goes our net spend in this restructure will be £65m. A drop in the football ocean and not what we were expecting. And really more of the same old story.

I hope with 24 hours to go that a rabbit or maybe even two will be removed from Woodward's hat.
Never fear...

From what I hear Ed Woodward himself has been measured for boots and will be lining up in Matic spot next season.

He can do things in the transfer window other teams can only dream of, this includes turning himself into Scholes mk2.

Inter Yer Nan

I think the board are trying to keep it tight and hope for a fluke season or at least a top 4 finish and probably sell us off.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
He can play centrally...but hey, id rather we went for Fernandes.

We need to be doing something otherwise it is another diabolical transfer window.
Some desperate punt for the sake of it is part of the reason we've got/ had so much deadwood though, isn't it? A CM needed to be prioritised months ago, not cobbled together in the last 24 hours. Just concede defeat mate, we're going into the new season with 1 established, burnt out, DM and whole host of mediocrity. It's happening.

Ranchero

Some desperate punt for the sake of it is part of the reason we've got/ had so much deadwood though, isn't it? A CM needed to be prioritised months ago, not cobbled together in the last 24 hours. Just concede defeat mate, we're going into the new season with 1 established, burnt out, DM and whole host of mediocrity. It's happening.
You are not wrong. The money for Lukaku is utterly useless as far as our team is concerned. Useless.

Wolves right now are going to overtake us.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
It scares me that we are a Pogba injury from having a bottom half level midfield. Even with Pogba, it's still not a top 6 midfield.
Either an injury or more likely loss of form or loss of motivation.
We need him to perform at an 8/10 level all season. Is that expecting too much.

Ranchero

You are not wrong. The money for Lukaku is utterly useless as far as our team is concerned. Useless.

Wolves right now are going to overtake us.
I mean Tielemans was available and went to Leicester for a mere £35m. He hops and walks into our midfield as it is.

I am bored with another season of pain.

No wonder Pogba wants away.

el3mel

No midfield reinforcements. Instead of having Herrera and Fellaini on the bench, now we have Fred and Periera.

Signed one 19 years old winger who's probably gonna be a sub. Sold our striker without a replacement.

We fixed our defense pretty well but our attack and midfield are totally a mess now.

Inter Yer Nan

Either an injury or more likely loss of form or loss of motivation.
We need him to perform at an 8/10 level all season. Is that expecting too much.
He's just not the type to get on with it and be the leader over a long haul I feel. He's quality is there to see but his application is selective. Sad thing is, I think put him at Real Madrid and with the type of players they'd surround him with and he'd be a world beater week in week out.

Rajma

Imagine Pogba and McT get injured, we’re then reduced to Matic, Pereira, and Fred in midfield. It’s going to be a long season.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
He's just not the type to get on with it and be the leader over a long haul I feel. He's quality is there to see but his application is selective. Sad thing is, I think put him at Real Madrid and with the type of players they'd surround him with and he'd be a world beater week in week out.
Completely agree with you.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
It's exactly what it is. Seven CB's and no world class midfielders besides Pogman.

Rooney1987

It is interesting we seem desperate to push this through today, Italy have 3 weeks to buy. Why not wait to see if Juve or Inter continue to fight it out. One would think we'll be spending that money over next 18 hours or so. But as you say we probably won't.

Ranchero

It is interesting we seem desperate to push this through today, Italy have 3 weeks to buy. Why not wait to see if Juve or Inter continue to fight it out. One would think we'll be spending that money over next 18 hours or so. But as you say we probably won't.

Juve want to swap because they have already spent too much.

I have zero confidence in Woodward to get anything done quickly. Or often at all.

This is another painful window.and season.

We are nowhere near the top 4 right now.

TrueRed79

Anyone else felt we're not prioritizing CM cause of our current 4-2-3-1 formation? We have 4CMs competing for the pivot(Pogba, Mctominay, Fred, Matic) and several no10s(Mata, Andreas, Gomes, Lingard)
Absolutely frightening and damning of where we are going as a club with those options. An injury to Pogba away from doomsday. Liverpoolisation almost complete. We are only a big club by name now.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
1) Rabiot was one of our main target - so we were interested in strengthening in midfield.
2) Ole has confirmed Pogba is staying - so he won’t leave this summer.
3) We were interested in Eriksen - but the player isn’t
4) Longstaff is another target

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
We'll probably buy someone totally out of left field like Doucoure now in a last minute deal. Pure panic stations stuff where we get ripped off.

Ranchero

You're asking an awful lot of McTominay there dude.
I can't believe anyone can get excited about him.

Does he change games? No. He is a safe pass automaton and there are loads of his sort around.

There will be those who will talk up the kids including Ole but it is delusional to think this is anything other than doing things on the cheap.

No Herrera and Fellaini replacement. And no Lukaku replacement when he goes.

The fans are being led up the proverbial garden path.

I am fuming. Old Trafford on Sunday? Seriously.

Ranchero

We'll probably buy someone totally out of left field like Doucoure now in a last minute deal. Pure panic stations stuff where we get ripped off.
Doucoure is streets ahead of McTom and he is a Watford player.

Get the feeling we are being conned.

Mugiwarared71

its like going to the oscars with a nice suit and but no shoes and barefoot and your next purchase is a ring for your finger. Mind boggling decision not to strengthen the midfield and one which i hope doesn't cost us .

redIndianDevil

Why aren't we even in the running for lo Celso? Spurs are signing him with no competition whatsoever. He is highly rated in Argentina. Pogba looks like leaving 100 % next year, we might as well sign another creative midfielder and give him an year to settle.

Ranchero

I would lay bets Pogba is keeping quiet and when the window closes tomorrow and we buy nobody significant in midfield he will manoeuvre to get out before the transfer window in the rest of Europe shuts in a month.

Ranchero

Absolutely ridiculous that Fellaini and Herrera have not been replaced.
I have had enough of this joke recruitment policy. No wonder Jose went spare. Ole cannot just accept this nonsense. But he wont rock the boat even after he is sacked

redzombie

I would lay bets Pogba is keeping quiet and when the window closes tomorrow and we buy nobody significant in midfield he will manoeuvre to get out before the transfer window in the rest of Europe shuts in a month.
he can do whatever he likes, we're under no obligation to sell him. He's going absolutely nowhere this season.

settembrini

I agree with what you said. My only issue is the fact that the new formation has added a #10 but we have no top quality #10.
Mata/Lingard/Sanchez can play this position but they don't have the quality of a Fernandes/Erikson/Dybala.
They are not top quality no but look at this way. Last year we had Lingard/Mata starting on the right, where they are terrible. This year they will be starting as #10s, where they are at least passable. So it's objectively an improvement to the team regardless of the doom going around here at the moment.

We also have Gomes in the squad now and pushing for minutes. He's a big talent and if the senior players don't perform then hopefully we give him a chance.