No midfield reinforcements

edcunited1878

It's not even having midfield reinforcements as much as it is having a genuine creative player you can rely on at the forward line/layers.

The goal layer is taken care of with DDG. The defensive layer is improved now with Maguire. The central midfield layer has Pogba. The attacking layer has no proven player who can create or score enough. The hope is that Martial and Rashford take it up another level and are consistent more than not. Unless they contribute to 40+ goals (eg 10 G + 10 A each), United still have a massive goal contributor in the starting XI.

Ranchero

he can do whatever he likes, we're under no obligation to sell him. He's going absolutely nowhere this season.
True. So we end up with a player whose heart isnt with us. He is a key reason we didn't make top 4 last season...having courted Real in March.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Absolutely ridiculous that Fellaini and Herrera have not been replaced.
They've been replaced by Fred and McTominay. If Ole is planning to play 4-2-3-1, its already 5 midfielders for those two spots. Fred was always going to be given a 2nd year to prove himself.

C'est Moi Cantona

Much as people would have had their doubts, if Ole wanted Longstaff we should have got him, even at £40-£50 million, there is going to be no way of knowing now if Ole is really up the job, as the midfield will just kill us all season long, and we all know what will happen if we are struggling to get top 4 come mid-late season.

It is nothing short of negligent to leave the midfield like this.

Ranchero

Apparently Thomas Partey from Atletico has a 40M release clause
Tielemans was £35m. But we.are sitting on our hands. I am really p****ed that is turning into the same old story for United.

And im having none of the 'we tried' tripe. Tielemans went to Leicester. If we really wanted him he would have come.

Ranchero

Much as people would have had their doubts, if Ole wanted Longstaff we should have got him, even at £40-£50 million, there is going to be no way of knowing now if Ole is really up the job, as the midfield will just kill us all season long, and we all know what will happen if we are struggling to get top 4 come mid-late season.

It is nothing short of negligent to leave the midfield like this.
Longstaff. God help us. Seven games or so in the Prem.

blacktiger 10

I can't believe what are happening, I'm starting to think that our board wants to destroy this club. you do not have to be a football expert to know that we need reinforcement

Ranchero

It's not even having midfield reinforcements as much as it is having a genuine creative player you can rely on at the forward line/layers.

The goal layer is taken care of with DDG. The defensive layer is improved now with Maguire. The central midfield layer has Pogba. The attacking layer has no proven player who can create or score enough. The hope is that Martial and Rashford take it up another level and are consistent more than not. Unless they contribute to 40+ goals (eg 10 G + 10 A each), United still have a massive goal contributor in the starting XI.

I think Greenwood is a star in the making even now. And i would start him towards the right with Rashford up front and James or Martial left.
We can hope Sanchez rediscovers something.

When i use reinforcements i mean creativity. We laxk creativity and have done for six years

C'est Moi Cantona

Longstaff. God help us. Seven games or so in the Prem.
But if Ole wanted him then at least we would be able to work out if he's a good judge of a player, now he just doesn't have the tools at his disposable in midfield to know either way, so the excuses are already there for him.

We either are frustrated with another disappointing season, and we stick by him, or he gets sacked and we'll never know.

Ranchero

But if Ole wanted him then at least we would be able to work out if he's a good judge of a player, now he just doesn't have the tools at his disposable in midfield to know either way, so the excuses are already there for him.

We either are frustrated with another disappointing season, and we stick by him, or he gets sacked and we'll never know.
This was always on the cards with Pereira who has done nothing to deserve a new deal getting one and Mata getting effectively three years. I love Mata but really?

IrishRedDevil

They've been replaced by Fred and McTominay. If Ole is planning to play 4-2-3-1, its already 5 midfielders for those two spots. Fred was always going to be given a 2nd year to prove himself.
We have ‘replaced’ then with first team
players that were already at the club when Fellaini and Herrera also played here?
Not buying that.

C'est Moi Cantona

This was always on the cards with Pereira who has done nothing to deserve a new deal getting one and Mata getting effectively three years. I love Mata but really?
The fans aren't mugs, so lets see how it plays out if Ole doesn't have some sort of SAF magic touch.

Pscholes18

I would lay bets Pogba is keeping quiet and when the window closes tomorrow and we buy nobody significant in midfield he will manoeuvre to get out before the transfer window in the rest of Europe shuts in a month.
This...no player is bigger than the club but the Pogba camp has to be fuming United didn't bring anyone in to help him.

Ranchero

Tottenham have reached an agreement with Real Betis to sign midfielder Giovani lo Celso in a deal costing around £60m. Already have Ndombele.

Also in talks with Fulham to sign 19-year-old left-back Ryan Sessegnon.

Depressing.

MrSingh2002

One injury to Pogba and we're more fecked than we already are.

Herrera and Fellaini need replacing.
Herrera could play 6 and 8. Fellaini could play 6, 8, 9 and 10.

Which idiot sold them/allowed them to leave without having replacements?

Don't know who I would vent at more, Ole for allowing it and not demanding more. Or Ed for being the clueless feck he is. Ed has no excuse as he's been doing the job 6 years now. His head should roll now. It's beyond reasonable doubt that he should be accountable for this now.

Moyes, LVG, Mourinho and OGS have been hampered by him.

Ranchero

So we play Wolves and they outplay us in midfield last season. They strengthen. Even Wolves. In all areas.

We do absolutely nothing. Neves and Moutinho vs McTominay and Matic. I know which pair id rather have.

Last edited:

Ranchero

This...no player is bigger than the club but the Pogba camp has to be fuming United didn't bring anyone in to help him.
What will he think when we sell Lukaku and don't replace. Herrera off and no quality replacement.

I'm off. It's a transfer policy written on the back of a fag packet.

Id rather we strengthened midfield than defence because we put pressure on our defenders by not being able to hold onto the ball.

City have not got a great defence but their midfield control games. The opposition have less chance to put their back line under pressure.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Lo Celso would've been good pick up for Man. United.

Ndombele-Lo-Celso-Dele Ali with back up like Sissoko and Winks looks pretty good to me.

It's all right keeping Pogba but is he even going to be that motivated given he could just try to force a move again in January?

Have to say I'm surprised by lack of numbers you have in the central midfield area. Guess the plan is to give more chances to the young players but they're mostly wide attackers aren't they rather than central players.

With europa there's going to be plenty of Thursday-Sunday and all the fatigue and rotation that goes with it.

In seasons gone by you'd have gone to Wolves and got Neves for 50m. He's one I'd have targeted.

MrBest

Is anyone really surprised. The moment the Glazers took over, this has been an issue. Fergie masked this through his management quality but as soon as Moyes came in, it was evident. The board shuddered when Gaal came in, we were out of the champions league so we brought in players who really were not interested in us and spent a heafty amount on dross through panic. Jose came in, was more of the same and his second season was a shambles. We could of got Maguire for 10m less last season but the club has zero strategy to plan further than 2 weeks. The only real fix would be to hire a director of football but Ed clearly thinks he is better and wants total control over all football matters. It is a shame as he knows nothing about football. This sh!t show will only change when we get rid of the board but that is not happening anytime soon.

On a positive note, if we do not get Bruno etc, I am looking forward to seeing more of Gomes in the middle. Anything is better than Lingard or Mata there.

Ranchero

Love to know what assurances Maguire was given because right now Leicester look a better bet.

Ranchero

I heard Ole with my own ears a few weeks ago say we must replace players we have lost.

So how does he explain this?

Last edited:

MrSingh2002

I heard Ole with my own ears a few weeks ago say we must replace players we have lost.

So does he explain this.
He's too much of a yes man to do what Poch/Jose/Guardiola do. Which is question their clubs ambition during the windows.
Naive and it could cost him his job in less than 6 months.

fps

So we play Wolves and they outplay us in midfield last season. They strengthen. Even Wolves. In all areas.

We do absolutely nothing. Neves and Mourinho vs McTominay and Matic. I know which pair id rather have.
Mourinho's got some mobility issues mind.

Ranchero

He's too much of a yes man to do what Poch/Jose/Guardiola do. Which is question their clubs ambition during the windows.
Naive and it could cost him his job in less than 6 months.
A good journalist would ask the question

Rampant-red

I'm disgusted with what happening at United. I see three major problemscthatsvpushing us further down from the top 4.

1- greedy board of bastards won't buy Ole the midfielders everybody knows we need.
2 - we did not clear out the garbage .
3- Ole is a legend but it's obvious he cannot attract the calibre of players we needed to rebuild the team. It's down to two factors, he is controlled by the board and he just does not have the management skills of the managers of Spurs, City, , Liverpool, Arsenal and bloody Everton by the looks of things..

Just know this season is doomed unless a bloody miracle happened in the next 12 hours. We will get the ususl crap..

I'm happy with our current squad.. what horseshit.

Lucas Hood!!

I do wonder if Jones will get thrown into midfield at some point during the season.

It's something Fergie would have done and Ole is in that mould imo.