No value in the transfer market

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
The great thing with guys listed in the OP are they're all ready for the next step. Meunier aside, who'd be good signing for other reasons, all those players remind me of a Firmino type. Playing at a good level in a good league but is at the stage of their career to take it up a notch.

We seem to be aiming for the younger British players, but we can't even get the cream of that talent. They're an exceptional group of players with huge price tags. Sancho, CHO, Foden etc, all £40m players atleast.

Fluctuation0161

It's fair to say Ferguson was dead wrong. There was a lot of value in that transfer market it's just that his scouting network was too poor to utilise it.
The debt levels were dangerously high then. I suspect Fergie knew it would be risky if we couldn't clear some of those higher risk loans early on.

Enigma_87

You know who
That's not even the point of it though. Those are all quality players who are ready for the step up, and have very cheap release clauses, not a lot of time left, or just are at a club that needs the money so won't demand a massive fee.
Yup this is the point of the thread.

We are in a position that we can sign very good players - improve both depth and also overall quality of the first 11. What we can offer Ziyech, Brandt, Meunier and others is competitive salary (we shouldn't overpay), playing time - which they won't get at Real, Barca, PSG, whilst getting them at market value.

Under Fergie we did need the cherry on top, but that was because we had a top class manager and a team that was always competing for titles - hence we were looking at top talent which came with the appropriate premium.

There will be competition obviously and we won't be able to sign all those players, but the quality is there IMO and with proper approach we can improve our core without spending hundreds of millions on Sancho and Koulibaly alone.

Fluctuation0161

Have do you know it was the Glazers? I think SAF wouldve have said it if he thought Glazers ruined the team for him. Atleast in his books. Everytime he gets asked about them he disregardes Your statement.

Stop spreading false information just because its fits Your narrative
Look at Fergies spending history prior to the Glazers.

Richjc

It's fair to say Ferguson was dead wrong. There was a lot of value in that transfer market it's just that his scouting network was too poor to utilise it.
It had nothing to do with anything other than the fact that the club had no money at that time. Everything was being spent servicing high interest loans and refinancing debt. 2019-13 was seriously tight.

Lee565

Throw in Andre Gomes, Hector Herrera (was free but gone to Atletico), Fornals, even Vardy who I doubt would cost more than 30 million due to his age but still faster than most players in the premier league and would bet he would not only score more goals than Lukaku has in a season for us but offer more in the build up as well.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
Of course there was value in the market, player prices were going up year after year thats why Madrid made a profit on Ronaldo or we broke even on Schneiderlin. Fergie was making excuses, we didnt have much money to spend. Shame because a bit more investment back then and we wouldn't be in the position we are in now.

NoPace

If Sarabia really has an 18M release clause, I have no idea why we wouldn't go for him.

JoaquinJoaquin

Fergie said that to cover for the Glazers, and for me tarnished his legacy a slight bit by covering for them so much.

Sir Scott McToMinay

Have do you know it was the Glazers? I think SAF wouldve have said it if he thought Glazers ruined the team for him. Atleast in his books. Everytime he gets asked about them he disregardes Your statement.

Stop spreading false information just because its fits Your narrative
I don’t care about my narrative here, but you’ve got be kidding if you think SAF didn’t want better players, SAF was always after the best players, sometimes he got them sometimes he didn’t, but there’s not a chance in hell he wouldn’t have wanted to spend more money in the Glazer years.

Also, don’t take anything SAF has said or written literally, he’s a fantastic politician whenever he needed to be.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
he signed jones and smalling , so no
Actually Jones and Smalling were pretty good young players when they joined us. The problem is that Jones certainly hasn't fulfilled his potential and Smalling is just about ok.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I’ve noticed that Woody's valuation of players is consistently below what club’s want for the players. Unless it’s someone on a free, with a release clause, near the end of their contract or someone that no one else really wants (e.g. Bailly)

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Theres no reason why we shouldnt be able to tempt any of those. We aren't competing with Barcelona and Real Madrid for those. Some rumors of Bayern with Ziyech but no reason why we can't get ahead.

Whats going to happen is Brandt is likely heading to Dortmund, someone like Alderweireld probably going to Ajax, Ziyech probably to Bayern, Meunier to someone like Everton, Rabiot to somewhere in Italy... but that's 5 players, each playing in positions we desperately need to strengthen and each would slot in right away, for a combined £100m. Can only see us getting one of them, with the others going to teams that aren't bigger than us, just because I think we'll give them the impression they are back up choices.
Well then we're fecked. We should be in for them though, and we should have the means to tempt at least one of em.
Some players value playing style, playing time, CL football, club stature, geography, language, wages, etc to varying degree and I think we can agree if these players are indeed bargains there will be multiple suitors. I guess my point is transfers are a two way street and United's stature and wages doesn't mean any of these players will want to join them.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Some players value playing style, playing time, CL football, club stature, geography, language, wages, etc to varying degree and I think we can agree if these players are indeed bargains there will be multiple suitors. I guess my point is transfers are a two way street and United's stature and wages doesn't mean any of these players will want to join them.
Of course. I wasn't making out as if it was a given, but someone somewhere will want to join and if we sell them a rebuild it should be more tempting.

Champagne Football

True but the few million in agent fees to secure Eden Hazard was a drop in the ocean compared to the money wasted on bang average players. That was SAF's decision, one of many bad choices that was made by him and David Gill towards the end of their reigns.
That all sounds well and good but when you see the influence that agents like Raiola have now, who start offering their clients to your biggest rivals as soon as they are dropped, then perhaps Fergie was right all along in not setting a dangerous precedent by bowing to agents inflated demands. Liverpool and City don't deal with Raiola generally so maybe some clubs are right to draw a line.

City walked away from the Sanchez deal knowing the damage it would do to the dressing room. That decision has proved a masterstroke, but had Sanchez been a success, then you'd still have a certain percentage of City fans fuming, without taking into account the damage it would have done to the club long term.

There's a few players out there right now who you'd have bet your house on Fergie attracting as unpolished gems, when their value was low in the past 6 years, if he decided one final rebuild - Dele Alli, Harry Maguire, Gareth Bale, Sadio Mane, N'Golo Kate, Fabinho, Moussa Dembele, Wanyama etc

Melville Red

Technically, in terms of the prices certain players will leave at or deals that could be attainable, we can have a summer of:
  • Meunier - £20m (RB)
  • Alderweireld - £25m (CB)
  • Tielemans - £40m (all round mid)
  • Rabiot - £0m (holding/all round mid)
  • Brandt - £25m (attacking mid)
  • James - £15m (wing depth)
  • Ziyech - £25m (RW)
  • Icardi - swap
Total - £150m
Out:
  • Pogba - £120m
  • Lukaku - Swap
  • Sanchez - £0m
  • Mata - £0m
  • Herrera - £0m
  • Darmian - £5m
  • Rojo - £5m
  • Matic - £10m
  • Pereira - £10m
Total - £150m
Break even. Huge reduction in total wage bill. Lineup:

Rashford Icardi Ziyech
Brandt Tielemans
Rabiot
Shaw Alderweireld Lindelof Meunier
De Gea
Obviously not going to happen and things like this never pan out like this, but it's the sort of things that are possible if we push for them and look at the right options. Any one of those would represent good value for what we pay. Would basically be a massive improvement in our team, we would have a well balanced and more complete team, decent depth, while effectively breaking even in fees but saving loads in wages.
Right, e mail this post to Ole and Woody.
Marked for urgent attention and action.
Signed Mr Glazier.

Steerpike

He didn't get them all right, no. No manager does. They're still human you know. And IIRC Jones was highly rated at the time. Don't know about Smalling.
Smalling was a bit of a punt, and (probably) relatively cheap ... oh, and 9 years later he still happens to be our best defender.

Not sure you can say SAF got that one wrong.

Fridge chutney

@Fridge chutney sort this guy out please. Tell him the realistic prices for those players.
My pleasure! Revised figures below:
In
  • Meunier - £20m (RB)
  • Tielemans - £30m (all round mid)
  • James - £10m (wing depth)
  • Ziyech - £25m (RW)
  • Icardi - swap
Total - £135m
Out:
  • Pogba - £160m
  • Lukaku - Swap
  • Sanchez - £0m
  • Mata - £0m
  • Herrera - £0m
  • Darmian - £15m (Italian international)
  • Rojo - £25m (Argentinian international)
  • Matic - £20m
  • Pereira - £25m (good young prospect)
Total - £245m

Net spend: £115 profit
That leaves us enough to buy 2 of De Ligt, Sancho and Felix which should cost around £160M so we'd end with a net spend of £45M which is pretty good business.

Sir Scott McToMinay

In
  • Meunier - £20m (RB)
  • Ziyech - £25m (RW)
  • Icardi - swap
Total - £135m
Out:
  • Pogba - £160m
  • Lukaku - Swap
  • Sanchez - £0m
  • Mata - £0m
  • Herrera - £0m
  • Matic - £20m
Total - £245m

That leaves us enough to buy 2 of De Ligt, Sancho and Felix which should cost around £160M so we'd end with a net spend of £45M which is pretty good business.
You think we can get 85m from the sales of Rojo, Darmian, Pereira and Matic?
That is absolutely hilarious :lol:

Fridge chutney

You think we can get 85m from the sales of Rojo, Darmian, Pereira and Matic?
That is absolutely hilarious :lol:
They're all experienced internationals decorated at club level, except for Pereira who's going, skilled and will only get better, so those are realistic prices.

TheRedHearted

First of, we don't know what Ole wants or see's and we could still have some faith. It's a new manager and I know everyone wants to say what he did at Cardiff with transfers but it's nothing compared to what we can do. If Woodward backs him and Ole comes out strong telling this players what he wants to do with the club and what we have the capability of doing with transfers considering there is talent in our squad (not all of it) we can do something pretty positive moves this window. The players listed in the opening are players Ole may very well rate and see the value in. He knows one window isn't going to make us Champions.

They're all experienced internationals decorated at club level, except for Pereira who's going, skilled and will only get better, so those are realistic prices.
Matic and Periera would definitely sell in the premier league. Zero for Sanchez makes very little sense, someone would pay something for him, especially MLS or China.

manutddjw

To me I think the issue went deeper. I think he was a principled man who became unhappy with the way football was heading and looked at it as a responsibility to do things “the right way”. He wasn’t going to be bullied by agents, he wasn’t going to spend a fortune on superstars and he wasn’t going to buy fancy foreigners if there was a British player who could do a similar job.

If you look at his purchases in his last 5 years we definitely spent a lot and would’ve spent a lot more had Benzema, Lucas Moura and a few others didn’t choose other clubs. Plus what gets swept under the rug is the amount we threw away on random punts over the years like Diouf, Obertan, Bebe and Manucho. If you add those up we literally pissed away more on those players than a lot of clubs had to spend. And only Hernandez worked out for us.

There was definitely value in the market. While we were screaming for a midfielder, we bought Ashley Young for 18 Million with 1 year left on his contract the same summer Vidal who certainly wasn’t an unknown went to Juventus for like 7 million.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Technically, in terms of the prices certain players will leave at or deals that could be attainable, we can have a summer of:
  • Meunier - £20m (RB)
  • Ziyech - £25m (RW)
  • Icardi - swap
Total - £150m
Out:
  • Pogba - £120m
  • Lukaku - Swap
  • Sanchez - £0m
  • Mata - £0m
  • Herrera - £0m
  • Darmian - £5m
  • Rojo - £5m
  • Matic - £10m
  • Pereira - £10m
Total - £150m

Rashford Icardi Ziyech
Brandt Tielemans
Rabiot
De Gea
Obviously not going to happen and things like this never pan out like this, but it's the sort of things that are possible if we push for them and look at the right options. Any one of those would represent good value for what we pay. Would basically be a massive improvement in our team, we would have a well balanced and more complete team, decent depth, while effectively breaking even in fees but saving loads in wages.
I don’t see it as something possible.

It’s only easy to say that less transfer fees is good & by selling lot & replace them can benefit the club in financial term. But in reality, it’s more complex.

I think what the club needs to do is also how they should spend the money wisely (whether they spend big on one player with reasonable wages or spend less on one player with unreasonable wages) and also keeping the wages structure is important so other players/agents don’t try to take advantage (for example Martial). It’s clear that buying players aren’t like buying stuffs in grocery stores. There is negotiation, same goes with selling players; it takes time.

Players like Alderweireld who is 30 cost very small fees but will ask enormous amount of wages; we have learnt this from Sanchez’s case, thus we have to switch our target.

Players like Rabiot has some bad background; the club needs or must to do research on before they actually sign players. Rabiot doesn’t want to play as DM, he might refuse to play if we ask him to be DM or he might ask crazy amount of wages & destroying the structure of the club just like what others have done. Not going into detail on Icardi.

Signing Meunier sounds good but means there is big question mark whether we should get him or develop the young ones like Dalot or Laird.

Too many changes also don’t mean good thing. New players need to adapt with new league & country. They also need adapt playing with new team mates. Hence, why Ole thinks the rebuild process should be done step by step.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
In
  • Meunier - £20m (RB)
  • Ziyech - £25m (RW)
  • Icardi - swap
Total - £135m
Out:
  • Pogba - £160m
  • Lukaku - Swap
  • Sanchez - £0m
  • Mata - £0m
  • Herrera - £0m
  • Matic - £20m
Total - £245m

@Bubz27 this is so wrong. We are never getting the money for the dross we have. You have failed the caf

redtony

In
  • Meunier - £20m (RB)
  • Ziyech - £25m (RW)
  • Icardi - swap
Total - £135m
Out:
  • Pogba - £160m
  • Lukaku - Swap
  • Sanchez - £0m
  • Mata - £0m
  • Herrera - £0m
  • Matic - £20m
Total - £245m

Pereira has a triggered 12 month extension. £10m will be enough to get him imo

manunited1919

• Meunier - £20m (RB)
  • Ziyech - £25m (RW)
  • Icardi - swap
Total - £150m
Out:
  • Pogba - £120m
  • Lukaku - Swap
  • Sanchez - £0m
  • Mata - £0m
  • Herrera - £0m
  • Darmian - £5m
  • Rojo - £5m
  • Matic - £10m
  • Pereira - £10m
Total - £150m

Rashford Icardi Ziyech
Brandt Tielemans
Rabiot
De Gea
You could be our Director of Football.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
True but the few million in agent fees to secure Eden Hazard was a drop in the ocean compared to the money wasted on bang average players. That was SAF's decision, one of many bad choices that was made by him and David Gill towards the end of their reigns.
Yep. It's the horrible irony that when we started lashing the money it from a position of weakness and by the wrong managers.

Imagine fergie being able to smash some of the last 6years wad after winning titles

john moran

Actually Jones and Smalling were pretty good young players when they joined us. The problem is that Jones certainly hasn't fulfilled his potential and Smalling is just about ok.
They were never good enough. While we were spending 20 million on dolly and daisy city were buying Kompany for 8 million . No value in the market if you did not have or as it appears now do not have the right people in place to tell you where to look.

Swearing Budgie

If Sarabia really has an 18M release clause, I have no idea why we wouldn't go for him.
That would be stupid.

We need to wait for the clause to expire, then pay £25 million a couple of days later.

Like we did with Fellaini. Genius.

#peakEd

Andersonson

I don’t care about my narrative here, but you’ve got be kidding if you think SAF didn’t want better players, SAF was always after the best players, sometimes he got them sometimes he didn’t, but there’s not a chance in hell he wouldn’t have wanted to spend more money in the Glazer years.

Also, don’t take anything SAF has said or written literally, he’s a fantastic politician whenever he needed to be.

You have to be kidding if you think SAF would've sat around accepting the Club doing this badly if it was because of the Glazers and their spending.

We've spent more than enough Money to be competing. We've spent it wrong, cant fault the owners for that. Since 2008 we've almost spend as much as City and Chelsea. Just look at the facts

Enigma_87

You know who
I'm not sure if Ed knows how to work with release clauses.

So far he has worked with two - Fellaini - paid more than it at the end, and Herrera - the imposters debacle.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs

Out:
  • Pogba - £160 ....
No one is going to offer £160m for Pogba, nor anything close to that.

United paid £95m for him (which was over-paying to start with) and since then - given his general level of performances - his stock has not improved.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I don't think Fergie ever believed it himself. He was just strapped for cash and that was the line he used.