Nora Quoirin's mysterious death in Malaysia

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Couldn't see a thread on this and it's back in news as the inquest is going on now in this strange and very sad case.

Basically, a 15 year old Irish girl with bad physical and mental disabilities disappeared from the family's holiday let in the jungle. She was found dead 10 days later over 1km away, naked and with no marks on her feet from walking barefoot through thick jungle- her family insisted she could only walk 20 yards unaided.
She died of starvation.

The inquest yesterday ruled out her having been kidnapped.

Anyone been reading about this? Hard to imagine what on earth happened.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/24/nora-quoirin-abducted-from-resort-malaysian-police

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Can't imagine a resort without any kind of video surveillance that would have caught some part of the girl wandering out.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I followed the case when the poor girl went missing and it seems almost 100% certain that another person was involved. Her parents said unequivocally that she would not have gone out of the building on her own, and there's no reason to believe otherwise. She was reliant upon them and wouldn't have gone off wandering without them.

Jippy

Staff
The whole case is odd, eg why was she carried off, if so (no signs of sexual assault mercifully), and also how she came to starve to death.
The starving suggests she may just have wandered off, but if this was a physical impossibility, who knows.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I remember it at the time, my assumption is that someone attempted to kidnap her and ended up abandoning it for whatever reason. The police as per usual in incidents like this probably had pressure from government officials to insist it wasn’t anything nefarious to protect their tourism industry.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Weird but there also doesn't seem to be any evidence of a crime. Doesn't mean there wasn't one of course.

Given that she potentially only walked 1 km in the week before she died I'm not sure her poor mobility precludes her going this far. If it was a crime I'm not sure what can be done without any evidence. Of course rural Malaysian police might not exactly be Inspector Morse.

Jippy

Staff
Weird but there also doesn't seem to be any evidence of a crime. Doesn't mean there wasn't one of course.

Given that she potentially only walked 1 km in the week before she died I'm not sure her poor mobility precludes her going this far. If it was a crime I'm not sure what can be done without any evidence. Of course rural Malaysian police might not exactly be Inspector Morse.
Her clothing was never found, which is a bit odd.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12506433/nora-quoirin-body-found-naked-no-clothes/

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I'm not sure what was the level of this girl's disabilities, but I remember more than a decade ago the kid of a foreign millionaire was kidnapped in Madeira and supposedly the kidnappers wanted a ransom. But the kid was autistic and had some sort of breakdown, the kidnappers panicked and dropped him off at a hospital's door.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Her clothing was never found, which is a bit odd.
I though I read a repirt she was just in underwear? If conditions were such that she wasn't found for10 days it wouldn't be suprising if underwear discarded at some point during that time wasn't found.

It may well have been some sort of kidnap for ransom that went wrong but it doesn't seem that there is any real evidence that it was. Of course if the inquest says it was an accident what miniscule chance of the police finding a culprit if there was one disappear.