g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Nordic Ghost Yeti | Haaland at City

Libero_of_Yore

35 goals from 29xG(a PL record btw) is super clinical :)
He's missed a lot of chances. He's said himself that he should have more goals.
He could have been more clinical yes.
Regardless, he is having a tremendous season. His game is coming on leaps.

Abraxas

Nothing was created really. That is probably going to be the standard Haaland performance when a game like that happens. It doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, does it? If they line one or two up for him in the second leg he'll take them and win them the match.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Made a mistake tonight by seeking physical contact with Rudiger who's one of the only defender in the world that can match Haaland's physicality. He should have avoided him by starting more runs from the side. We might not see the same thing in the 2nd leg.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Nothing was created really. That is probably going to be the standard Haaland performance when a game like that happens. It doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, does it? If they line one or two up for him in the second leg he'll take them and win them the match.
In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter.

City will have only 4-5 games like this in a whole season, games where they don't create much and struggle.

City dominates like 99% of games they play anyways, not every team out there is like Real Madrid at Bernabéu.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
He only scores in farmer leagues
You jest but the sad thing is that this is exactly what people would say if it was a non-PL player disappearing in a big CL tie. I back him to bounce back in the second leg though and I still have City as favourites to close it out and reach the final. Madrid will always pose a threat though.

Joel Miller

I think games like last night really show his limitations. If he’s well looked after and City can’t tee him up then you’ll barely know he’s on the pitch, because the other aspects of his game outside of his goal scoring just aren’t that strong.

It’s why I think Mbappe and Benzema are better players regardless of numbers.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I think games like last night really show his limitations. If he’s well looked after and City can’t tee him up then you’ll barely know he’s on the pitch, because the other aspects of his game outside of his goal scoring just aren’t that strong.

Mbappe and Benzema never have a quiet game?

Joel Miller

I didn’t say that did I? In fact I quite clearly explained what I think makes them superior players. Both have an all round game that is levels above Haaland. If they’re not getting great service in front of goal they can still significantly affect these types of games.

Righteous Steps

Not games like Haaaland just had, you saw Mbappe performance when he came to Madrid and also Benzema had a quiet game tonight, but was still far mor involved in build up play, still made a couple smart passes and so on, that’s a Benzema on the wane also. Haaland averages like 14 passes per game anyways, he can have games where he only completes 9 passes.

We haven’t seen a top 5 player in recent years who is so uninvolved in the overall game, saying that you can make the argument he is probably the most efficient player in a long long time.

Milo2035

Alvarez should replace him in the next game. Contributes much more to the game.
Erling scores so many because well, it's Manchester City. But City against the best team in history is a different story.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I didn’t say that did I? In fact I quite clearly explained what I think makes them superior players. Both have an all round game that is levels above Haaland. If they’re not getting great service in front of goal they can still significantly affect these types of games.
I am not questioning that they are both more all rounded player than Haaland in general. But you are making such statement based on one quiet game from Haaland. It’s no difference than some posters here who has been doubting Haaland after his first few “underwhelming” games in the league at the beginning.

To be fair, Haaland probably couldn’t do what they could, but they couldn’t do what Haaland could too. So its all just personal preference.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Not games like Haaaland just had, you saw Mbappe performance when he came to Madrid and also Benzema had a quiet game tonight, but was still far mor involved in build up play, still made a couple smart passes and so on, that’s a Benzema on the wane also. Haaland averages like 14 passes per game anyways, he can have games where he only completes 9 passes.

We haven’t seen a top 5 player in recent years who is so uninvolved in the overall game, saying that you can make the argument he is probably the most efficient player in a long long time.
I think it’s not fair to compare them this way, in terms of how involved they are in team’s build up play etc.

Haaland always have fewer touch than most of his teammates even during his best games, as his role in the team is primarily posing a threat to break opponents def line in counter, and to score goals in very few touches. He is not a playmaker or winger, or a player to setup others.

Joel Miller

I am not questioning that they are both more all rounded player than Haaland in general. But you are making such statement based on one quiet game from Haaland. It’s no difference than some posters here who has been doubting Haaland after his first few “underwhelming” games in the league at the beginning.

To be fair, Haaland probably couldn’t do what they could, but they couldn’t do what Haaland could too. So its all just personal preference.
No I’m not. I’m making that statement based on his attributes.

Cantona_7_

Not games like Haaaland just had, you saw Mbappe performance when he came to Madrid

1. You could say the oposite about the bayern game, Mbappe invinsible while Haaland turns up, and this is this year not 3 years ago. just to show you how easy it is to nitpick matches to come with conclutions that suits you.

2. You don't think its possible to be part of a match without touching the ball? He did not have a good game I agree, but he pulled defenders away with his runs making space for others for example with De Bruynes goal.

I think its no coincident Grealish is having a great season, a big part is because City use a 9 that drags defenders to the middle giving him space to 1v1 on the side i instead of 2v3 like it was when Jesus went to same side as his wingers.

Oh and I totaly agree that mbappe and benzema are better all around footballers, litteraly EVERYONE does and ive never seen anyone argu the oposite

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert

A very sensible and yet controversial opinion that will have people on here biting your head off (even though this is supposed to be a United forum FFS) because every single thing is about goal numbers and literally nothing else matters.

I do suspect he'll bounce back in the second leg though, a lot of his most dominant performances this season have come at the Etihad IIRC.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Mbappe didn't do that when PSG crashed out against Bayern. Benzema was ghost yesterday despite his "all round game".

Halftrack

A very sensible and yet controversial opinion that will have people on here biting your head off (even though this is supposed to be a United forum FFS) because every single thing is about goal numbers and literally nothing else matters.
Christ you're bitter about people disagreeing with you :lol:

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Christ you're bitter about people disagreeing with you :lol:
Nah. There isn't a trace of bitterness in me and please check the tape, I'm on record after watching him in Germany saying he would smash the PL when others were saying clever stuff like 'Bundesliga tax'. I just push back against the new notion that he's the greatest sportsperson in the history of the universe, which a lot of people seem to be leaning towards, because the Premier league confers legitimacy in the minds of many that doing the exact same thing in other leagues (or the champions league or international level) does not.

I also still think City win the CL.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Mbappe didn't do that when PSG crashed out against Bayern. Benzema was ghost yesterday despite his "all round game".
I think Mbappe and Benzema are both much more proven in big games than Haaland. Haaland has to show that he can do what they've already done. His next opportunity is on Wed and they will need him.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
He's missed a lot of chances. He's said himself that he should have more goals.
He could have been more clinical yes.
Regardless, he is having a tremendous season. His game is coming on leaps.
Every striker misses chances. He is definitely clinical.