Nordic Ghost Yeti | Haaland at City

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
He scored against Liverpool this season. He scored against Arsenal last season. He scored on Bayern Munich too last season

Seriously
Again, big games, regularly, not playing well. All massive and important points.

People saying that Haaland is just about stats, if you saw 5 average games of Haaland in his career for the first time and had no idea of his previous record, you'd think 'that striker is a freak of nature, how can he be so fast, quick and great at shooting?'. The eye test he looks like he would be a top striker. It's not some major conspiracy or sign of the teams that he's considered among the best players in the world.

That's a bit of a nonsense point, elbowing someone in the face is not anything anyone should be aiming for, Kane could have been sent off. Messi never needed to elbow a defender in the face to show he was a good player and Haaland has already won a lot more than Kane has ever done.

Also they're completely different games. That game this season was the cagiest game in years (well since the last time Arteta and Guardiola played against each other) and happened all the time in previous eras. There are dozens of those sorts of games involving great players where defences were on top, you move on it's not particularly representative of anything. Also Haaland scored in both games against Arsenal last season as City won the league.
Being physical and using your size to create space and opportunity is a vital part of being a number 9. For his size, he doesn’t use it effectively enough. It’s not nonsense. It’s part of the game as an effective 9. He isn’t good enough to play like Messi or any sort of hybrid. He is a 9.

Wilt

Not really the argument. A better question is how many top clubs would take him over Kane for the next 3 years. I suspect not many of them. Not condemnation.

He’s a world class forward and will score shitloads of goals across his career. But it’s undeniable that he’s moving into flat track bully territory over the past year and he needs to offer more in games that he’s not scoring.
You can’t be serious ?

I‘ve always been a big fan of Kane and defended him on the Caf on numerous occasions. However, I wouldn't put him over Haaland. Not including what Haaland has already won, he’s probably already smashed most of Kane’s scoring records.

Point of interest, would you like to name a few clubs you think would not want Haaland ?

KeanoMagicHat

Again, big games, regularly, not playing well. All massive and important points.

Being physical and using your size to create space and opportunity is a vital part of being a number 9. For his size, he doesn’t use it effectively enough. It’s not nonsense. It’s part of the game as an effective 9. He isn’t good enough to play like Messi or any sort of hybrid. He is a 9.
Using your size isn't elbowing someone in the face. Anyone can elbow someone in the face and they will be lucky to avoid red. And there are countless examples of Haaland using his strength to score goals in a legitimate way.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
You can’t be serious ?

I‘ve always been a big fan of Kane and defended him on the Caf on numerous occasions. However, I wouldn't put him over Haaland. Not including what Haaland has already won, he’s probably already smashed Kane’s scoring records.

Point of interest, would you like to name a few clubs you think would not want Haaland ?
Kane is a far better number 9 for more teams than Haaland. I don’t see how that’s up for debate. Pep wanted him too.

I don’t think any top club in Europe would want 2 years of Haaland right now, over Kane. He’s the best 9 in world football and will be for a pair of years at least.

If the debate is simply ‘Who do you sign, assuming they’ll stay for 5+ years’… Haaland starts entering the conversation because of his age.

Wilt

Kane is a far better number 9 for more teams than Haaland. I don’t see how that’s up for debate. Pep wanted him too.

I don’t think any top club in Europe would want 2 years of Haaland right now, over Kane. He’s the best 9 in world football and will be for a pair of years at least.

If the debate is simply ‘Who do you sign, assuming they’ll stay for 5+ years’… Haaland starts entering the conversation because of his age.
Never fails to amaze the knee jerk reactions ….by Haaland‘s standards he’s definitely having a quiet time at the moment (it happens to all players) yet in 33 PL and CL appearances combined he’s still scored 25 goals.

Kane is undoubtedly the more complete package, but i‘d be stunned if any club would prefer him over Haaland. It’ll be Interesting to see if opinions differ by the end of season.

Rockets Redglare

Never fails to amaze the knee jerk reactions ….by Haaland‘s standards he’s definitely having a quiet time at the moment (it happens to all players) yet in 33 PL and CL appearances combined he’s still scored 25 goals.

Kane is undoubtedly the more complete package, but i‘d be stunned if any club would prefer him over Haaland. It’ll be Interesting to see if opinions differ by the end of season.
And Kane has 39 goals in 38 games this season, but that’s hardly the point is it.

Kane is a much more complete footballer and brings way more to the team than Haaland in almost every single way, the only reason you’d prefer Haaland is that he’s younger.

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
Come on, Erling still is young as fvck and still hot as Elizabeth Hurley. Every team will go for him above anyone bar maybe Mbappe.
Unless the coach has some very specific ideas of what he needs as a striker, but if it comes to imagination, at the same sum of money, teams will always tend to choose the younger proven player.

brunoag4

Kane, Mbappe, Vinicius over Haaland any day of the week and it's not even close..

For City, Haaland is probably the sixth or seventh most important player, no way he's more important than Foden, De Bruyne, Rodri, Dias, Silva etc.

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
Side note...not a striker but among youngsters I'll throw quite a lot of bucks to grab someone like Florian Wirtz

Wilt

And Kane has 39 goals in 38 games this season, but that’s hardly the point is it.

Kane is a much more complete footballer and brings way more to the team than Haaland in almost every single way, the only reason you’d prefer Haaland is that he’s younger.
Read my post again I’ve already said “Kane is undoubtedly the more complete footballer” :rolleyes:

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
But this is just common sense. The Ballon D'Or is given to the best performing player in a certain season. If it was supposed to go to the best player in the world, then Messi should have one for every season from 08-09 to maybe last season.

So if you (not you Fobal, people/bots in general) get pissed at Haaland being called "the best player in the world", people are referring to form and actual performances for that period.

First of all, we need to stop blaming us Americans for the intrusion of stats into every aspect of life, including sports

Second, none of us can watch every game, unless you are literally jobless. Statistics are not the complete picture (nothing is the complete picture, not even the eye test), but it does provide a consistent framework for analysis and comparison, even if it's not perfect. It's certainly better than people saying players didn't score against opponents when they did score against them...

And statistics won't cause players to be underappreciated. Any statistical framework that doesn't show Maradona was excellent in his day is fatally flawed. However what statistics does do is rubbish a lot of the biases we carry into watching football, which is why it rubs a lot of people the wrong way.

And this is why this conversation is so interesting. It's started by Haaland but it's not really about Haaland. It's about how fans and pundits and clubs value players with certain attributes.

See, and that's the issue; we're using our impression of football as kids in the park, or our preferences as fans, to gauge what positions and roles are valuable to top tier professional clubs who have millions of dollars on the line. Teams don't care about a lot of the shit we speak about. So why project our stuff on the needs of a top team like City, in terms of what is needed from their striker (or wingers)?

I don't think players care as much as we like to think. And any criticism they get from pundits and fans is completely overshadowed by what happens in the club training sessions.

That's the thing. Of course the criticism on Henry and Aguero is extreme and silly. It's nothing Haaland hasn't seen on here so maybe let's just tone it down across the board?
Even that's impossible!

Josep Dowling

Instagram era where fans judge players on 10 second knee jerk reactions by pundits. It seems Keane’s comments are already influencing others, now Van Der Vaart is saying the same.

Would be nice for a United striker to score 19 goals in 25 games and be an issue. I think only Zlatan has scored that many Premier League goals in 1 season since Fergie retired.

brunoag4

Would be nice for a United striker to score 19 goals in 25 games and be an issue. I think only Zlatan has scored that many Premier League goals in 1 season since Fergie retired.
You need to bring De Bruyne, Silva, Foden, Rodri to United as well to feed Haaland.

Alpha 1

Bull.Crap. "These kind of games"? Haaland already done more in CL than Aguero in his career. Ffs

Henry, sure, he's not there yet, but again, we're not talking some mythical player who dominated the highest level of the sport. Henry had exactly 2 CL runs in his career comparable to what Haaland did last season
For Aguero I'm referring to the Premier league mainly. Agreed that he did not do much for in the ucl and for Argentina. In his defence, the City team he played for in his prime was nowhere near this City side.

As for Henry, he was a different level of striker imo. He was Harry Kane with superchargers. Again, as a team, Arsenal hardly excelled in the ucl but he gave a few memorable performances like vs Real Madrid in 2006 and vs Inter in ? 2003.

The main problem with Haaland is that his allround game isn't even decent; it's downright poor. With his goals, he is already a great goalscorer but not a great player. If he improves his general play (doesn't have t9 be Henry or Kane level), he can become a great player.

Which team do you support? Your vehement defence of a City player against valid criticism is quite weird.

Last edited:

Joel Miller

Aguero was a big time bottler, nevermind lucky enough to have teammates to save him. He was the one letting them down more often than not. Henry, again, had 2 CL runs comparable to Haaland's for City. The one time he had a great team around him, like Haaland, is the one he won the CL doing feck all in SF and Final. The other time, his teammates bailed his "sorry ass" in the SF but couldn't in the final, when he let them down. Really no different from Haaland. Who was also absolutely shredding this competition at Dortmund
Big time bottler? He scored the biggest goal of their history in the dying seconds to win his team the league. He would score against United, Liverpool and Chelsea fairly often. Even if he wasn’t scoring he was still capable of contributing because he could run with the ball and link play. I thought he was quite poor for Argentina right enough.

I struggle to remember many games where Agüero and the like have just stood about like traffic cones, which is sort of what Haaland’s been doing in a number of games. I mean if he wasn’t 6’5” with that hair do you’d have barely noticed he was even there the other night, Rudiger dealt with him comfortably. That’s having already had two stinkers vs Mardrid last season, a stinker in the final and a stinker in the FA cup final. No idea why people are defending him so passionately when there’s a very obvious trend here.

Roy Keane might have used hyperbole with regards to his all round game, but his general point was on the money, when he comes to everyone outside of finishing, he’s quite an average footballer. Lucky for him his movement and finishing are exceptional for the most part.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The main problem with Haaland is that his allround game isn't even decent; it's downright poor. With his goals, he is already a great goalscorer but not a great player. If he improves his general play (doesn't have t9 be Henry or Kane level), he can become a great player.
Being a great goalscorer automatically makes you a great player. His all around game suddenly matters this season because he's having a poor season. It hadn't actually mattered before outside very few isolated games, and sure, absolutely improving his general play is something he should try to do and would make him a better player. But he doesn't need it to become a better player. This guys averaged a 1:1 goals to game ratio before this season. That isn't just a great player, that is performing at an all time great level

Which team do you support? Your vehement defence of a City player against valid criticism is quite weird.
Madrid, and most of the criticism is either way overboard, or entirely nonsense

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Big time bottler?
Bad wording. CL bottler. He was also rarely effective with Argentina, but then he was also always injured

I struggle to remember many games where Agüero and the like have just stood about like traffic cones, which is sort of what Haaland’s been doing in a number of games. I mean if he wasn’t 6’5” with that hair do you’d have barely noticed he was even there the other night, Rudiger dealt with him comfortably.
He's had more than his share of stinkers actually. Spurs 2019, Liverpool 2018, Madrid 2016, Monaco 2017, etc, etc...

That’s having already had two stinkers vs Mardrid last season, a stinker in the final and a stinker in the FA cup final. No idea why people are defending him so passionately when there’s a very obvious trend here.
There is now because of this season. Which isn't over yet

Joel Miller

Bad wording. CL bottler. He was also rarely effective with Argentina, but then he was also always injured

He's had more than his share of stinkers actually. Spurs 2019, Liverpool 2018, Madrid 2016, Monaco 2017, etc, etc...

There is now because of this season. Which isn't over yet
He might not have had great games but he wasn’t standing about like a very expensive lump of wood which was my point. Also have to say I don’t remember Agüero being terrible in all of those either.

And it’s hard to ignore last season too where Haaland scored a huge number of goals but was unable to make any real impact on the biggest games his team played at the most crucial period of the season.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
And it’s hard to ignore last season too where Haaland scored a huge number of goals but was unable to make any real impact on the biggest games his team played at the most crucial period of the season.
Last season he scored a bunch in the run in to win the league, including their key win at the emirates, and was huge for them to beat Bayern. We're talking about 5 games he didn't impact vs 10 or so which he did? I mean, that is the kind of criticism that could have been levied against Cristiano Ronaldo, or even Messi, in some seasons

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

It’s not a knee jerk reaction. Kane is the better number 9 and any top side looking at just the next two seasons would take him over Haaland.

That’s not some huge insult. Haaland is a really special footballer. He scores goals that nobody else could and is probably going to break every record going if he stays fit.

But he’s miles away from the finished article. He’s either going to improve in all the areas he’s deficient, or carry on as he is and always play for sides that play to his strengths.

I think there’s more chance of him being an Ibra type that plays for 10 clubs in a career, than stay at City for another couple and then do 5+ years at Real or Barca.

Let’s be clear though, he’ll win an obscene amount of trophies, score everywhere he goes and finish his career as decorated as Ibra too. I don’t think he’ll care if he doesn’t become a nuanced forward with the ability to also play in the hole.

Alpha 1

Being a great goalscorer automatically makes you a great player. His all around game suddenly matters this season because he's having a poor season. It hadn't actually mattered before outside very few isolated games, and sure, absolutely improving his general play is something he should try to do and would make him a better player. But he doesn't need it to become a better player. This guys averaged a 1:1 goals to game ratio before this season. That isn't just a great player, that is performing at an all time great level

If your goalscoring is winning your team games, yes. If you're ghosting in big games, no.

Wilt

It’s not a knee jerk reaction. Kane is the better number 9 and any top side looking at just the next two seasons would take him over Haaland.

That’s not some huge insult. Haaland is a really special footballer. He scores goals that nobody else could and is probably going to break every record going if he stays fit.

But he’s miles away from the finished article. He’s either going to improve in all the areas he’s deficient, or carry on as he is and always play for sides that play to his strengths.

I think there’s more chance of him being an Ibra type that plays for 10 clubs in a career, than stay at City for another couple and then do 5+ years at Real or Barca.

Let’s be clear though, he’ll win an obscene amount of trophies, score everywhere he goes and finish his career as decorated as Ibra too. I don’t think he’ll care if he doesn’t become a nuanced forward with the ability to also play in the hole.
I can agree this, although the first paragraph could be debatable. Kane is the better No9 but would a top side take him over Haaland?

It‘s very easy to pick weaknesses in his game, as indeed (family friend) Keane will repeat at every given opportunity. In fairness he’s never pretended to be a Ronaldo, Messi, Kane etc, he’s simply an outright centre forward with an uncanny knack for scoring goals. Imagine he’d love to be compared to Ibra.

I do think every European club would want him, both now and in the foreseeable future, though realistically there‘s only a handful of clubs that could actually afford him.

Last edited:

Kwabs

Supports
Barcelona
Last season he scored a bunch in the run in to win the league, including their key win at the emirates, and was huge for them to beat Bayern. We're talking about 5 games he didn't impact vs 10 or so which he did? I mean, that is the kind of criticism that could have been levied against Cristiano Ronaldo, or even Messi, in some seasons
Not true, his goals dried up towards the end of the league season and players like Gundogan stepped in to fill the void. He did score against Bayern but that was the QF, he didn't score in the semis or the final of the CL. Also didn't score in the FA Cup final. What does this mean? Maybe not that much, he could turn around and score in all those critical games this season. He's a young player so any narrative about him is necessarily going to be in flux. But re last season, what you said is not correct.

devaneios

Supports
São Paulo FC

Do you consider all the players involved in City creation all time greats? Because Haaland can't score if the team doesn't create a great chance for him(how many goals did this guy scored from outside the box or beating a defender for City?), so if he's an all time great for pushing the ball to the net, the players involved in the creation should be too. Not only that, the same players(well not exactly in this season, but I'm sure you'll get the point) were able to produce as much goals even without Haaland to finish what they produced, so it's not like they need him that much to score a lot.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
If your goalscoring is winning your team games, yes. If you're ghosting in big games, no.
He wasn't ghosting in big games before this season though. Unless you arbitrarily decide to count 5 games as the only big games he played, a metric by which you could make the same claim against Messi

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Do you consider all the players involved in City creation all time greats? Because Haaland can't score if the team doesn't create a great chance for him(how many goals did this guy scored from outside the box or beating a defender for City?), so if he's an all time great for pushing the ball to the net, the players involved in the creation should be too. Not only that, the same players(well not exactly in this season, but I'm sure you'll get the point) were able to produce as much goals even without Haaland to finish what they produced, so it's not like they need him that much to score a lot.
De Bruyne is an all time great, yeah. Rodri might get there, the rest is world class players coached by probably the best manager ever. At the very least the best at coaching offence. And there's no such thing as a team creating loads of great chances without great strikers making them possible, either. Strikers can't just stand around waiting for the ball to fall to them

devaneios

Supports
São Paulo FC
De Bruyne is an all time great, yeah. Rodri might get there, the rest is world class players coached by probably the best manager ever. At the very least the best at coaching offence. And there's no such thing as a team creating loads of great chances without great strikers making them possible, either. Strikers can't just stand around waiting for the ball to fall to them
Like City in the period between Aguero and Haaland?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Not true, his goals dried up towards the end of the league season and players like Gundogan stepped in to fill the void.
From the emirates game to the end of the season City played 16 games, he playef in 14, and scored in 9. If you add assists, that's 11 out of 14 games with a direct goal involvement. He didn't play in the last game of the season.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Like City in the period between Aguero and Haaland?
Foden, De Bruyne, Mahrez, Gabriel Jesus, etc were chopped liver? Were they just scoring 30 yards screamers or dribbling 5 defenders at a time? Or were they making good striker runs, getting into good positions and opening up defences off the ball?

devaneios

Supports
São Paulo FC
Foden, De Bruyne, Mahrez, Gabriel Jesus, etc were chopped liver? Were they just scoring 30 yards screamers or dribbling 5 defenders at a time? Or were they making good striker runs, getting into good positions and opening up defences off the ball?
So what is the advantage of having a guy doing exclusively that?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
So what is the advantage of having a guy doing exclusively that?
In the case of City it allowed them to improve the defence without sacrificing the attack, particularly in big games. Guardiola playing 4 actual defenders with Haaland isn't a coincidence

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
He's just going through a rough patch, happens to everyone. Heck, even RVP went through it during our title winning season.

Unfortunately for us and the rest of the PL, Haalands rough patch will end.

devaneios

Supports
São Paulo FC
Look at their lineups in all the CL games down the stretch last season? And how those games went?
In that two games against Madrid, Haaland was invisible, they scored four despite him, then what difference would make using that same formation, regarding defenders, but with other AM/SS, just like before, in Haaland place?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
In that two games against Madrid, Haaland was invisible, they scored four despite him, then what difference would make using that same formation, regarding defenders, but with other AM/SS, just like before, in Haaland place?
Again, Pep must be the greatest manager ever the way he destroyed Madrid at home, with Haaland being "invisible". It's like when your older brother gifted you 3 goals on FIFA and still beat you 4-3

Mike Smalling

He's just going through a rough patch, happens to everyone. Heck, even RVP went through it during our title winning season.

Unfortunately for us and the rest of the PL, Haalands rough patch will end.
He might be going through a rough patch, but it's also more than just that. His skillset is extremely good in some aspects, and quite average in others, so it's inevitable that he will look ineffective against certain types of opposition and in certain types of games.

KeanoMagicHat

Haaland was very much not invisible against Real Madrid in the Champions League last season. You could say he didn't play well, but definitely not invisible. Courtois made various saves against him. He was involved as much as anyone and a constant menace. But couldn't score. It was more of a Darwin Nunez performance than his clinical best.