Nordic Ghost Yeti | Haaland at City

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Didn’t he score in both of them? You can’t put every result on his head but what is clear to me is that he has two outstanding qualities which suit the two types of games we encounter on a weekly basis.

1. Movement in the box and ability to get in front of the defender. Perfect for teams who come and sit deep all game against us. Since Aguero left we’ve really struggling in these types of games at times to break teams down and Haaland offers us something completely different to be able to do that.

2. Running in behind against a high line. Pace, Power, Composure. And with KDB the one feeding the balls through, the teams that try to go toe to toe with us in the middle of the park leave lots of space in behind for him to find. Madrid at home last year is a perfect example. We won 4-3 but with Haaland that tie would have been over.

I think what his game has enough about it to be a constant threat in both types.
No not really blaming Haaland - but what happened to the team?

SoCross

Sheesh I had this lad to score around 20 league goals but the way he’s going..

RkkMan

So much panic. A player scoring for City isn’t exactly groundbreaking stuff. Get a hold of yourselves
The realistic worry here is Haaland could be the missing piece that not only wins City the CL but makes them very dominant
Dominant to the extent that even if we came good under Ten Hag it won`t be enough to topple them

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Yep this is indeed true. OGS, the then Molde manager, tips the club about someone they must sign. Its legitimately one of the worst examples of bad club management when viewed in hindsight.

Of course Haaland was tearing up the Norwegian league as well at the ripe old age of 16, which is why Manchester was told "hey, maby sign this guy"

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Yep this is indeed true. OGS, the then Molde manager, tips the club about someone they must sign. Its legitimately one of the worst examples of bad club management when viewed in hindsight.

Of course Haaland was tearing up the Norwegian league as well at the ripe old age of 16, which is why Manchester was told "hey, maby sign this guy"
Damn, that is amateurish stuff even for division 2 club. This is absolutely laughable.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
The Premiere League is a different animal to Football on the continent if you like. PL Teams happily set up their entire game plan to get a nil nil and have become quite effective at anti football against top sides. They haven’t gotten to grips with Haaland yet…but it’s only a matter of time before they do. That may not effect the net result which is that City will just have more space for Foden/Bernardo/Gundogan etc to start scoring more but I don’t expect Haaland to continue to score at this rate. He will score 30 goals no doubt but he won’t have it all his own way.
Completely agree. The PL is a bastard for negativity against top clubs. Which is a good thing.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Don't you think they were predictable without Haaland? They play the same all the time but it's rarely stoppable.
Sevilla, a very good team, looked like it was men vs fans from the stand. Yesterdays game is one of the most lopsided matches Ive seen in recent times between two title winning teams.

Judas

Open to offers
They're predictable with Haaland, they were predictable without him. Neither version is easy to stop.

I'm hopeful they can be stopped in the CL, but for me the league is there's. They'll drop points obviously, but no one currently will be able to keep up with them.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Sevilla, a very good team, looked like it was men vs fans from the stand. Yesterdays game is one of the most lopsided matches Ive seen in recent times between two title winning teams.
Sevilla aren't title winners?

And Barcelona and Real Madrid would usually play them off the park. City are probably the best team in the world despite not having won a CL.

Crashoutcassius

I don't think he will ever leave city. It is just too easy to get goals. Look at the numbers a decent winger like sterling put up being the focal point. Haaland will have records in sight and he has the easiest job in football history in breaking them

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

And Barcelona and Real Madrid would usually play them off the park. City are probably the best team in the world despite not having won a CL.
Europa League winners 2020 counts as a title in my books. And yeah, you would expect them to win, but at least Sevilla could have looked like they were professional footballers for a bit.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Europa League winners 2022 counts as a title in my books. And yeah, you would expect them to win, but at least Sevilla could have looked like they were professional footballers for a bit.
Frankfurt won in 2022, Sevilla did so the season before ;)

cafecillos

He's obviously and extremely good CF, and has certainly hit the ground running for City, but honestly, what is it with many football fans and their constant need for hyperbole? Apparently, it's already clear he will destroy Messi and CR all-time numbers in a couple of seasons, he's going to score 175 PL goals this season alone, teams are going to start forfeiting the City matches out of sheer fear, and so on. I mean, come on, he's at a fantastic level at the moment, and has been excellent for some time now, but so, so many things could happen with such a young player. He may very well end up even exceeding expectations, but it's a bit cringeworthy reading certain posts, that's all.

Chief123

It is strange how everyone is praising Haaland for scoring two goals and being prolific, but there are posters in the Rashford thread saying Rashford was rubbish apart from two goals and one assist (!!!) against Arsenal.

Haaland had 5 (FIVE) passes and four shots in the first half against Sevilla. He's certainly not contributing much apart form the goals, but then again, goals are the most important part of football. And wasn't it Guardiola who said that you can get away with a lot when you score that many goals?
That’s because Haaland scores virtually every game. Rashford doesn’t.

25 goals in 20 champions league games for Haaland is ridiculous.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
He's obviously and extremely good CF, and has certainly hit the ground running for City, but honestly, what is it with many football fans and their constant need for hyperbole? Apparently, it's already clear he will destroy Messi and CR all-time numbers in a couple of seasons, he's going to score 175 PL goals this season alone, teams are going to start forfeiting the City matches out of sheer fear, and so on. I mean, come on, he's at a fantastic level at the moment, and has been excellent for some time now, but so, so many things could happen with such a young player. He may very well end up even exceeding expectations, but it's a bit cringeworthy reading certain posts, that's all.
People, myself inclued, tend to get a bit carried away when new young players break through the pace set by the other greats before them. Haaland now has the best Goalaverage in the CL history, is way ahead of the all time greats at the same age in terms of goals scored, and is physically completely unlike anyone else before him in terms of skillset. Sure there are a lot of players with better technique and dribbling, but in terms of pure goalscoring, no one comes close except for "Old man" Lewandowski who is still the best.

Sure its a bit early to assume career stats are going to be shattered, but its fun to postulate.

Ladron de redcafe

I’m not so sure. What kept those other 2 at the top was their incredible record of not getting injured for 15 years at the top level.

For example for Haaland to beat Ronaldo’s all time goals record he has to score 45 goals a season for 16 straight years. That’s not going to be easy and who knows if he declined by 33-34-35.

He’s at a good pace but still very far off, it’s a long shot.
Those are just cumulative totals. Haaland will probably top 4 Golden Boots and 5 domestic top scorer awards (Ronaldo's marks). It'll be much harder to reach 6 European Golden boots and 8 domestic top scorer awards by Messi.
He also has a good chance of getting 70 goals in a calender year (do not see him topping 91 goals in a year) to establish the 2nd highest goal-scoring peak in the modern era, behind Messi.

He's going to win the Premier League golden boot this season by a canter (and probably shatter the record for most goals in a season). Beyond that, getting 4 more isn't exactly unattainable for a player of that caliber. He'll also retire with the highest goalscoring ratio of the 21st century (going into this season, he was trailing Messi by only a fraction, and was ahead of Lewandowski at 3rd place, and Ronaldo at 4th place).

Last edited:

cafecillos

People, myself inclued, tend to get a bit carried away when new young players break through the pace set by the other greats before them. Haaland now has the best Goalaverage in the CL history, is way ahead of the all time greats at the same age in terms of goals scored, and is physically completely unlike anyone else before him in terms of skillset. Sure there are a lot of players with better technique and dribbling, but in terms of pure goalscoring, no one comes close except for "Old man" Lewandowski who is still the best.

Sure its a bit early to assume career stats are going to be shattered, but its fun to postulate.
Yeah, you're right, it's probably just harmless fun, but it irks me a bit, as I see it as a byproduct of the hyperbolic and puerile society we are creating.

He'll also retire with the highest goalscoring ratio of the 21st century
Obviously.

Classical Mechanic

One of the strangest players I can remember. At City he's just going to be bagging bucketloads seemingly with no effort at all. Mbappe is more exciting to watch but in this City team Haaland could hit peak Messi numbers for goals.

troylocker

It’s laughable when people say haaland is a better footballer than Ronaldo, forgetting Ronaldo at his age was something entirely different altogether. Ronaldo is 37 now sure.. but at his peak he was a different beast.
Haaland is now at the same age Ronaldo was after the 06/07 season for us.
If you only look at their numbers up to the age Haaland is now, I guess you could say Ronaldo was "something entirely different altogether":

Haaland all clubs in all comps:
147 goals and 37 assists in 12598 minutes
1,05 goals/90
1,31 goals+assists/90

Ronaldo all clubs in all comps:
55 goals and 45 assists in 15228 minutes
0,33 goals/90
0,59 goals+assists/90

Haaland in the CL:
25 goals and 3 assists in 1533 minutes
1,47 goals/90
1,65 goals+assists/90

Ronaldo in the CL:
3 goals and 5 assists in 2250 minutes
0,12 goals/90
0,32 goals+assists/90

Haaland for Norway:
20 goals and 3 assists in 1665 minutes
1,08 goals/90
1,24 goals+assists/90

Ronaldo for Portugal:
17 goals and 13 assists in 3213 minutes
0,48 goals/90
0,84 goals+assists/90

He was a winger while Haaland is a #9, but come on! Haaland is so far ahead of 22 year old Ronaldo that it's hard to compare them.

It's yet to be seen if Haaland can match Ronaldo's goals, trophies and ballon d'ors in the end, but I wouldn't bet against it.

Last edited:

Gehrman

Gerd Müller and R9 had pretty great numbers at 22 as well. Of course it's a compliment to him that he gets compared to them. He's the perfect poacher.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
If you only look at their numbers up to the age Haaland is now, I guess you could say Ronaldo was "something entirely different altogether":

1,05 goals/90
1,31 goals+assists/90

0,33 goals/90
0,59 goals+assists/90

Haaland in the CL:
1,47 goals/90
1,65 goals+assists/90

Ronaldo in the CL:
0,12 goals/90

Hard to disagree that they are
0,32 goals+assists/90

Haaland for Norway:
1,08 goals/90
1,24 goals+assists/90

Ronaldo for Portugal:
0,48 goals/90
0,84 goals+assists/90

He was a winger while Haaland is a #9, but come on! Haaland is so far ahead of 22 year old Ronaldo that it's hard to compare them.

It's yet to be seen if Haaland can match Ronaldo's goals, trophies ballon d'ors in the end, but I wouldn't bet against it.
Ahead in terms of goals yes especially because Ronaldo was a winger. Ronaldo began to focus more on goals very late in his career because if he has started earlier I can only imagine where he would be at now.

However Haaland is just that…goals Ronaldo at 22 was a much better player then Haaland. He had it all, Speed , skill, passing, crossing, Freekicks, and has just began scoring regularly.

Now in terms of just goals Haaland is way ahead of Ronaldo at 22. But as a player he ranks way behind.

Let’s put it this way, Ronaldo is a consensus top 4 all time player. One of the 4 GOATS of the game along with Messi, Maradona, and pele. (The Mount Rushmore of the Sport of football).

Can you confidently say Haaland will be a top 15 player of all time ? Let alone a top 5? Chances are slim.

Haaland will be gerd muller which is no slouch. He will be one of the greatest goal scorers the game has ever seen barring any major injury.

Gehrman

1,05 goals/90
1,31 goals+assists/90

0,33 goals/90
0,59 goals+assists/90

Haaland in the CL:
1,47 goals/90
1,65 goals+assists/90

Ronaldo in the CL:
0,12 goals/90

Hard to disagree that they are
0,32 goals+assists/90

Haaland for Norway:
1,08 goals/90
1,24 goals+assists/90

Ronaldo for Portugal:
0,48 goals/90
0,84 goals+assists/90

It's yet to be seen if Haaland can match Ronaldo's goals, trophies ballon d'ors in the end, but I wouldn't bet against it.
Dunno how you can compare a complete goal poacher to a winger. It's a 11 vs 11 game. A traditional winger will obviously score less than a poacher and target man.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral

The so called title "best team in the world" is overrated.

Teams don't care about it, if the team don't win trophies.

I don't think City is the best team in the world, they are one of the best, but not the best...If they keep bottling it in the UCL season after season, you can't call them best team in the world.
Missing sitters in important matches don't make you the best team.

I hope the keep bottling the UCL with Ederson bloopers and their typical defensive brainfarts, same goes for PSG...clubs owned by an entire country should be illegal in Football.

Gehrman

Ahead in terms of goals yes especially because Ronaldo was a winger. Ronaldo began to focus more on goals very late in his career because if he has started earlier I can only imagine where he would be at now.

However Haaland is just that…goals Ronaldo at 22 was a much better player then Haaland. He had it all, Speed , skill, passing, crossing, Freekicks, and has just began scoring regularly.

Now in terms of just goals Haaland is way ahead of Ronaldo at 22. But as a player he ranks way behind.

Let’s put it this way, Ronaldo is a consensus top 4 all time player. One of the 4 GOATS of the game along with Messi, Maradona, and pele. (The Mount Rushmore of the Sport of football).

Can you confidently say Haaland will be a top 15 player of all time ? Let alone a top 5? Chances are slim.

Haaland will be gerd muller which is no slouch. He will be one of the greatest goal scorers the game has ever seen barring any major injury.
Hardly very late. When he found out, he could be prolific, both he and SAF made sure the team was built around Ronaldo's goalscoring ability. 22/23 isnt very late.

Last edited:

Gehrman

The so called title "best team in the world" is overrated.

Teams don't care about it, if the team don't win trophies.

I don't think City is the best team in the world, they are one of the best, but not the best...If they keep bottling it in the UCL season after season, you can't call them best team in the world.
Missing sitters in important matches don't make you the best team.

I hope the keep bottling the UCL with Ederson bloopers and their typical defensive brainfarts, same goes for PSG...clubs owned by an entire country should be illegal in Football.
It's all very subjective to a point at least.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The comparisons to Ronaldo are amusing. Halaand comes across as the ultimate poacher however while Ronaldo became largely about goals as his career grew, for much of it, he was a tremendous footballer and on a completely different level of ability altogether.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Hardly very late. When he found, he was could be prolific, both he and SAF made sure the team was built around Ronaldo's goalscoring ability. 22/23 isnt very late.
Ronaldo was hugely influential on football matches at that age.

It's yet to be seen if Haaland can match Ronaldo's goals, trophies and ballon d'ors in the end, but I wouldn't bet against it.
There's your first mistake. It's not all about G / A. Ronaldo was 23 or 23 when he had that 40 plus goal season for us winning the double. He was a complete footballer at the time and not merely a goalscorer. In fact from 18 to 21 he was fairly pure winger.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
i think the most impressive thing about him is how he can simultaneously be the missing piece and the missing link.

Gehrman

Ronaldo was hugely influential on football matches at that age.

There's your first mistake. It's not all about G / A. Ronaldo was 23 or 23 when he had that 40 plus goal season for us winning the double. He was a complete footballer at the time and not merely a goalscorer. In fact from 18 to 21 he was fairly pure winger.
I really never at any point disputed that he wasn't. I disputed that it was only very late in his career that he became focused on scoring goals.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Hardly very late. When he found out, he could be prolific, both he and SAF made sure the team was built around Ronaldo's goalscoring ability. 22/23 isnt very late.
Late in the sense it was 6 years into his career.

troylocker

I don't think Ronaldo gets anywhere near any GOAT conversation without his goals and high goalratio. He was the focal point in one of the best teams in the history of the game, and his goals and trophies are literally the only things that brings him into any GOAT discussion at all. It isn't his stepovers, passing or crossing.

We've never in the history of European football seen anyone at Haalands age scoring at the rate he is scoring now at the top level and he has some extreme and unique qualities the world hasn't seen on a football pitch before at all. And yet he looks so far from the finished article. The combination is mindblowing. Hence why this thread has 85 pages 4 weeks into the season, Haaland is trending on youtube, on social media and the majority of pundits are jizzing all over him these days.

Scoring goals is the hardest and most important thing to do on a football pitch, and Haaland seems determined to break every record and become the best ever at it.
At the rate he is scoring now he will have a shot at Messi's 92 goals for club and country in a year and will easily score 50 a season even with injuries.
In Messi's 11/12 and 12/13 season when he scored 118 goals in LaLiga (50 and 46 goals) and the CL alone, he scored a goal every 65 minutes he was on the pitch. Haaland so far this season has scored every 46 minutes he's been on the pitch. It's hard to wrap your head around how insane that actually is.

To put that into perspective: C. Ronaldo scored a goal every 99 minutes in his Golden shoe, Ballon d'or, CL and PL winning season with us....
...or: Michael Owen winning the Ballon d'or off the back of a season where Liverpool won the FA, Carabao (didn't play the final) and UEFA cup where he wasn't even topscorer in the PL (scoring 24 goals across all comps).

If he ends up breaking most of the standing goalscoring records and win a shitload of trophies along the way, he will obviously end up somewhere near the top on every GOAT list.
He's is only 22 and there is no guarantees in football, so lets see how it pans out.
I think both Haaland and Mbappe can get into the top 5 GOAT list if they avoid injuries or for some reason suddenly loses it.