Norman Whiteside

Gazza

In terms of pure ability, where does he rank with players who came through United's youth system?

If he had come through at the same time as Wayne Rooney, where would he rank alongside him? And how different would things have been if Norm had lived in Rooney's era? (It's interesting to wonder what would have happened to Rooney if he'd been a product of the 70s/80s - strikes me someone desperate to have played in the age when heavy drinking and poor diets were the norm (no pun blah blah blah).

Legend16

absolutely loved whiteside when I was growing up. no one messed with him and he always seemed to really stand up against the scousers. scored some amazing goals not least the cup final winner. if he had a bit more pace he would have been one of the greatest. as it was he was a hero in a time of scarcity. pity the way his career ended but he lived hard. if SAF had him coming through now Id bet he'd be a sensation and hed take better care of himself

Mannheim Red

For me he is in the top 3 with Giggs and Scholes.The only thing he lacked was pace. But he had everything else and was as hard as nails. If it wasnt for his injuries.....

dinners85

He was a real fans favourite not just with United but also N Ireland and could pretty much play anywhere on the pitch.

I can think of better players in specific positions but I can't think of anybody who could operate as well in defence, midfield or up front.

I even owned one of Rambo Whiteside T Shirts back in about 84 or so.

Ringo 07

He was my first icon at United along with McGrath and Robson. Guess the curse of the booze tooks its toll on his body like it did with fellow countrymen Gillespe and Best also!

Moriarty

Loved the lad. Even at the age of 17, he was dishing it out to the likes of Souness and McDermott. For a big lad he had great close control, could shoot from any angle, and was lethal in the air. I wonder what he would have turned out like if he'd had Fergie as a manager instead of Big Fat Ron?

Chabon

For me he is in the top 3 with Giggs and Scholes.The only thing he lacked was pace. But he had everything else and was as hard as nails. If it wasnt for his injuries.....
Only a year older than Cantona, in a better world he'd have been playing alongside those two for years.

mufcwarm92

Weird to think that he retired at 26, before what should have been his prime. Classic story of what could have been.

lysglimt

Scout
According to Ferguson, Whiteside was a sprint-champion when he was 15 and he claimed that Whiteside would have been a world-class player if his knee-injuries had been treated correctly at an early age. By the time he was 17 so much of his lightning pace was gone....(from Fergies "managing my life")

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
One of my first Utd icons.... real shame his career went the way it did.

holyland red

"Holier-than-thou fundamentalist"
Happily I can say I saw this and his FA Cup final goal in the flesh,I thought he was a fantastic player , just a shame his knees were not up to the job , could of been World Class.
Being an armchair veteran, I can only say that I saw both goals live on TV. Back in those days FA Cup finals and the odd semi were the only games we had a chance to watch live in this corner of the world, as they were broadcasted on Jordanian TV.

I owe a lot to the late King Hussein.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
I was behind Southall's goal when Norman did his stepover and struck the ball that seemed to be heading for the corner flag before curling around Southall's fingertips and into the net. Pure delirium.

I had the honour of meeting Norm in NYC in 96 and got to hold his FA cup winners medal.

Gazza

The situation with his knee(s)... what happened there?

Was he over-played because he was seen as a shining light during dark days?

Strange that him and McGrath both had debilitating injuries and Remi Moses also had to retire early, Robson had several serious ones too... were those kind of injuries more prevalent then or was United's medical team perhaps not on the ball?

Incidentally i see now there's an older redcafe thread about him, with some good anecdotes, here - https://www.redcafe.net/f6/norman-whiteside-239142/

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Loved Big Norm, for club and country! Him and Best were the reason I first got interested in United

It beggars belief how a team that had Whiteside, Hughes, McGrath and Robson, backed up by the likes of Strachan, did not have a league title, regardless of how good Liverpool were at the time. Ron bloody Atkinson

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Loved Big Norm, for club and country! Him and Best were the reason I first got interested in United

It beggars belief how a team that had Whiteside, Hughes, McGrath and Robson, backed up by the likes of Strachan, did not have a league title, regardless of how good Liverpool were at the time. Ron bloody Atkinson

Baffling, and it wasn't the so called 'booze culture' because that Liverpool side had as many boozers in it as United at that time.

Gazza

Baffling, and it wasn't the so called 'booze culture' because that Liverpool side had as many boozers in it as United at that time.
That could just mean Liverpool players could play+handle their drink more consistently

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
sad to think that both Norman's and Georges careers as top flight footballers ended before they were 30! Unbelievable.

mungy

I am a terrible poster, please ignore me
Loved the guy, would be great to see him playing now...I recon he'd be a superstar. Watching him as a child was a real privilege.

mungy

I am a terrible poster, please ignore me
I met him at a sportsman do in Rochdale (broadfield arms) he was a great guy, me and my mate spent a hour talking to him after the event and he was great company.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
According to Ferguson, Whiteside was a sprint-champion when he was 15 and he claimed that Whiteside would have been a world-class player if his knee-injuries had been treated correctly at an early age. By the time he was 17 so much of his lightning pace was gone....(from Fergies "managing my life")
That's strange, because my memory is that the club recognised he lacked pace and signed him up for sprint training in America, but that before he could do the training he broke through into the first team, became a regular, and never had the chance from then on.

I could easily be wrong, but that's how I remember it.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Got smashed on red wine with him watching the PSG second leg in 2019.

Was out with some United fans of that era and he just spent hours talking football with us.

Legend of a player and a great bloke.

norm87cro

I don't know much about him but I was named after the bloke so I guess that's how much my dad really rates him. The Everton finish is a 50 mil price tag alone these days

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Got smashed on red wine with him watching the PSG second leg in 2019.

Was out with some United fans of that era and he just spent hours talking football with us.

Legend of a player and a great bloke.
Those first years were amazing .. a man child if ever I saw one (Haaland similar in size v age? but even younger).

there's a lot of replies to his tweet that involve memories (85 obviously being high up there as it is for me still) and quite a few involving drink :)