North Korea

...aka Las Cortinas

has no mates
Seems more like a.. ''we'll talk...but only if you stop playing with those bigger boys from America''.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I get the impression Kim is a bit more progressive than his Dad, and is actually curious about what life would be like if North Korea were on better terms with the world around it.

Supports
Barcelona
This lunatic won't last long. That's not a strong hand, he's a feckin baby who's got power!! I think we might witness the fall of the last bastion of totalitarianism in a year or so.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
I know Kim Il-Sung was a god, but Kim Jong-Un's uncle is an airplane? Unbelievable.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
What a loon. The sooner someone displaces him the better*

*unless of course it's another power-hungry loon of course

ChrisNelson

How do you dethrone someone like that though? At the first slight glimpse of trouble he's killing people off one by one. Jesus this guy apparently fell asleep and 'answered back'.
In UK politics they'd have a right barney about it and come out the other end the better for it. KJU gets out the anti-aircraft guns. Absolute madness.
The trouble is in North Korean politics, it's not even like one person can start a 'get KJU out' campaign and put the word amongst his/ her friends because all it takes is one of them to be a grass (which there are a lot of it in North Korea) and you're up before the firing squad. I honestly thought the younger Kim would take the country in a more positive direction but he seems to have fallen in to the trap where he thinks he needs to do these things to consolidate his power, which he doesn't IMO.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
I read that the people of North Korea were told that when older Kim first played golf, he got 11 hole in ones in his first round.

I wonder how far back you have to go in European history until you found a populace that was as uninformed, and in the dark as they are? Pretty sure you would have t go back to the middle ages...which is frightening.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
How do you dethrone someone like that though? At the first slight glimpse of trouble he's killing people off one by one. Jesus this guy apparently fell asleep and 'answered back'.
In UK politics they'd have a right barney about it and come out the other end the better for it. KJU gets out the anti-aircraft guns. Absolute madness.
The trouble is in North Korean politics, it's not even like one person can start a 'get KJU out' campaign and put the word amongst his/ her friends because all it takes is one of them to be a grass (which there are a lot of it in North Korea) and you're up before the firing squad. I honestly thought the younger Kim would take the country in a more positive direction but he seems to have fallen in to the trap where he thinks he needs to do these things to consolidate his power, which he doesn't IMO.
The military heads arent dumb, they know exactly what happens in the outside world. And the military loyalty is ussually held by their commander, if a few of the top brass wanted they are the most and only one capable of coup d'etat.

History will repeat themselves. Most tyrant are brought down from inside across history.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
I read that the people of North Korea were told that when older Kim first played golf, he got 11 hole in ones in his first round.

I wonder how far back you have to go in European history until you found a populace that was as uninformed, and in the dark as they are? Pretty sure you would have t go back to the middle ages...which is frightening.
They may have been told that but I wonder how many actually believe the crazy stories. Probably think its BS but too scared to say anything.

x42bn6

They may have been told that but I wonder how many actually believe the crazy stories. Probably think its BS but too scared to say anything.
Defector stories suggest that the populace - at least the urban populace - is becoming more-and-more enlightened. Education is improving, even in North Korea, and with that has to come improved critical thinking and access to information. More and more black market materials are being smuggled into North Korea - phones, movies, tablets, USB drives crammed with information. It's inevitable that the majority of the populace will eventually see that North Korea really is the country equivalent of the Emperor's New Clothes.

My suspicion is that Kim Jong-Un wants to move North Korea towards a more open path but the main problem is his advisors and closest allies are all old, conservative and perhaps willing to obstruct - if not outright disobey - his orders. I'm not sure he has the political savvy his father and grandfather had to manipulate the party. Will the army rebel? That will be tough to call - the people of North Korea wouldn't necessarily go with it - but is it too idealistic to think that the people can beat the most expensive army as a portion of GDP?

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Kim Jong-Un better watch out. He might not be the world's greatest hockey player. Vladimir Putin scored 8 goals in an exhibition earlier. Wonder if Putin can shooter better than Kim Jong-Il's score of 18 in golf.

Winrar

Defector stories suggest that the populace - at least the urban populace - is becoming more-and-more enlightened. Education is improving, even in North Korea, and with that has to come improved critical thinking and access to information. More and more black market materials are being smuggled into North Korea - phones, movies, tablets, USB drives crammed with information. It's inevitable that the majority of the populace will eventually see that North Korea really is the country equivalent of the Emperor's New Clothes.

My suspicion is that Kim Jong-Un wants to move North Korea towards a more open path but the main problem is his advisors and closest allies are all old, conservative and perhaps willing to obstruct - if not outright disobey - his orders. I'm not sure he has the political savvy his father and grandfather had to manipulate the party. Will the army rebel? That will be tough to call - the people of North Korea wouldn't necessarily go with it - but is it too idealistic to think that the people can beat the most expensive army as a portion of GDP?
why would kim jong un want that? citizens' open access to worldwide information would collapse the regime. It's also why kim jong un is so intent in stopping the influence of korean wave into his country.

x42bn6

why would kim jong un want that? citizens' open access to worldwide information would collapse the regime. It's also why kim jong un is so intent in stopping the influence of korean wave into his country.
A lot of his moves like the setting-up of special economic areas and moves to encourage foreign investment suggest he's trying to liberalise the economy. But he needs to do it slowly because he simply doesn't have the level of respect his father has (also hence why there are so many major purges).

He wants to mimic China - liberalise the economy - but only on his terms. Which means very, very, slowly - probably not even completed in his lifetime. There will be no open access to information any time soon - but I expect North Korea to open up its closed Internet a little more.

Why would Kim Jong-Un want this? Remember, he was educated in Switzerland and knows first-hand what it's like to live in Western, capitalist society - it's not impossible that this is what he wants for North Korea too. Also, with the lack of political support in comparison to his father, the people may well be his main source of support.

Winrar

A lot of his moves like the setting-up of special economic areas and moves to encourage foreign investment suggest he's trying to liberalise the economy. But he needs to do it slowly because he simply doesn't have the level of respect his father has (also hence why there are so many major purges).

He wants to mimic China - liberalise the economy - but only on his terms. Which means very, very, slowly - probably not even completed in his lifetime. There will be no open access to information any time soon - but I expect North Korea to open up its closed Internet a little more.

Why would Kim Jong-Un want this? Remember, he was educated in Switzerland and knows first-hand what it's like to live in Western, capitalist society - it's not impossible that this is what he wants for North Korea too. Also, with the lack of political support in comparison to his father, the people may well be his main source of support.
his education in switzerland means next to nothing. he's already living a life of luxury on his own while seeing his citizens starve to death so I don't see any reason why he would want a capitalist society for the rest of north korea.

as you probably know already north korea indoctrinates people from birth with useless (outside of n.korea) history and juche ideology; if north korean citizens saw that outside of their bubble people were ridiculing north korea and their fairy tales left and right, wouldn't they start to question the regime? opening up = fall of regime. period.

most of the country can't even get basic needs like clean water and electricity, and there's no sign of economic improvement outside the capital apart from products smuggled from china, so internet for the general public is out of the question in the first place until this silly regime falls apart.

naturalized

Supports
nufc
He's getting like Mark Antony towards the end of Rome. Hopefully this will be the last act from him, too.

Winrar

it's a matter of time until n.korea falls apart. wouldn't the top officials start getting scared if he continues to execute at this pace?

not even kim il sung was as ruthless as this. something might be going on.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
it's a matter of time until n.korea falls apart. wouldn't the top officials start getting scared if he continues to execute at this pace?

not even kim il sung was as ruthless as this. something might be going on.
I'd imagine a coup is imminent, especially with the recent spate of high level executions. If Kim loses the military elite because they fear they could be next, someone will probably take action soon.