Northern Ireland Milk Cup 2009

Bammy

I heard NI won as well tonight,not sure of the score,but was told Norwood was class.

EDIT-Says 3-0 on the website

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Subs against Desportivo

14. Cole for Hussain on 51 mins
18. Ngoo for Cofie on 45 mins

The penalty scorers were McGinty, Tunnicliffe, W. Keane, Brady, Cole, and Ngoo but I'm not sure on the sequence or the correct order.

More info to follow.

datura

Ngoo seems to be getting quite a few minutes (partly because of King's injury I guess). He looks quite a tidy player on the basis of the live game the other day and the brief highlights of Cantalao game.

Given that we don't have too many strikers at reserve level probably means King will step up a bit there so Ngoo probably has a decent chance of getting a move if he impresses the coaches.

datura

Subs against Desportivo

14. Cole for Hussain on 51 mins
18. Ngoo for Cofie on 45 mins

The penalty scorers were McGinty, Tunnicliffe, W. Keane, Brady, Cole, and Ngoo but I'm not sure on the sequence or the correct order.

More info to follow.
According to the BBC website McGinty scored the decisive penalty. No match reports up on the official website for the Premier tournament yet.

datura

The Milk Cup site have their report up now: http://www.nimilkcup.org/?module=datalistdetail&itemid=be9fe668-5954-40eb-be01-dffa64f56625

Premier Report Wednesday 29th July

The starlets from Old Trafford know they must come up with some Turkish delight tonight at the Ballymena Showgrounds if they are to make yet another Milk Cup final.

Manchester United are into the last four after dispatching with Desportivo Brasil last night 6-5 on penalties in Limavady.

However their task is not an easy one as they will now tackle Fenerbahce in tonight’s semi-finals, who have themselves been on fire during the competition.

The Turkish outfit have found the net 10 times this week with some slick football and it’s shaping up to be a mouthwatering last four clash at the Ballymena Showgrounds (6pm)

United hit a stalemate last night during normal time as – unusually for them – were shot shy in a goalless draw with the boys from Brazil.

Hot shot Robert Brady, who had already bagged four goals this week, was unable to find a breakthrough in normal time, but did coolly dispatch penalty number five for United in the shoot out.

As so often in shoot-outs it was the goalkeeper who was the hero and United stopper Sam Johnstone saved the sixth effort from Desportivo.

That allowed Sean McGinty – a defender not known for his goalscoring exploits – to step up and seal United’s passage to the last four against the Turkish side.

In contrast, Fenerbahce were in blistering form last night and the bad news for United is that they had five different goalscorers.

Okan Alkan, Devrimcan Beyaz, Recep Berk Elitez, Gokay Iravul and Ali Cukadar were all on target against Cherry Orchard at the Riada Stadium in Ballymoney.

Cherry Orchard have a fine tradition in the Milk Cup, having won famously caused an upset in the 1993 final, to be beat the much fancied Rangers side.

However the Dubliners are out having hit the wall against their stylish opponents.

On the other half of the draw FC Porto snuck through, another side who felt the joy, rather than despair from a penalty shoot-out against South Coast Bayern.

Erik Ricardo Persoon Gray was on the scoresheet, with Reed McKenna replying for Bayern, as the game ended in a stalemate.

Porto edged through from the spot, running out 4-3 winners in the shoot-out, leaving the Californians despondent.

The American’s reached last year’s decider, only to fall to defeat against Manchester United, and many expected them to repeat that feat this year.

However, it is Portuguese side who progress and they now face Sheffield United.

The young Blades saw off the challenge of the remaining County team, when Donald Malomo Paris’ boys, when they edged them out 3-1.

Jonathan Scannell was on the scoresheet for Down, but Shane Murray, Jordan Slew and Liam Wilkinson were the goal-scoring heroes for United.

To rub salt into the wounds for Down, they also ended the game with just nine men, after two players saw red.

Kurtis Kane and Michael Monan were handed early baths, both for two second bookable offences.

PS18

Team for the semi:

Johnstone

Cole
McGinty
Thorpe
Fryers

Morrison
Tunnicliffe
Hussain
Brady

W. Keane
King

cj_sparky

0-1. Decent finish for Fenerbache.

First goal we conceeded too! dammit!

cj_sparky

1-1 Josh King, Keane should of scored though!

That was against the run of play!

datura

Penalty to United for a handball on the line following a scramble on the corner after I think Fryers headed against the bar. It was a good save by the Turkish full back who was one of their best players.

Brady smacked it against the crossbar. Looks devastated.

PS18

Argh. Going in 2-1 up after being second best almost all half would have been huge.

Still can't complain I suppose, all square and with the extra man.

cj_sparky

I know that Brady missed it, but could the keeper get any further off his line!

cj_sparky

Cofie on for King.

Morrison was very lucky. He needs to cut out that aspect of his game, he has all the talent.

carpy

Puff the magic dragon
Ravel Morrison lucky is to be on the pitch. 2 footed lunged worthy of a red got a yellow
It wasn't 2 footed, it was just a bit late and the Fenerbahce player decided to scream as if he'd just witnessed the decapitation of his mother... before almost immediately returning to his feet.

PS18

Wasn't a clever tackle but over-exuberance rather than malice. Picked up a few bookings that way last season, Scholesesque almost.

cj_sparky

I don't mind a bit of devil in a player - Macheda has it as well.
Indeed, I must admit I defended Macheda too! Also countlessly say how I wouldn't change the way Rooney is.

That little devilish side just needs to be controlled, although with Wayne it can often be:nervous:

carpy

Puff the magic dragon
Wasn't a clever tackle but over-exuberance rather than malice. Picked up a few bookings that way last season, Scholesesque almost.
That's what I was thinking. It was like a carbon copy of every other Paul Scholes challenge. Although he was at full speed too so it looked that little bit worse. Poor timing or foolhardiness rather than malice in my opinion.