Northern Ireland Milk Cup

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
These are fecking good.
Where are they from? Did not catch it earlier.

Van Velzen is just a big waste of space. He has always been poor whenever ive seen him. Big, quickish, but no particular skill.

Drainy

He is, played there through the ranks. He may be a better left back though.
He is clearly better at left back. His awareness of where players are has been very poor, he hasn't attacked the ball well at all and he's just looked lost with his general positioning.

datura

He is clearly better at left back. His awareness of where players are has been very poor, he hasn't attacked the ball well at all and he's just looked lost with his general positioning.
It doesn't help with a makeshift left back and a centre back partner who's hardly played in the last year due to injury, and hasn't looked too good when he has.

cj_sparky

4-0

This Coll lad, not much he could do with most the goals....But his positioning in awful.

cj_sparky

4-1 Barmby

Next year with Rudge, Rothwell and Daehli maybe in a midfield three will be interesting.

cj_sparky

5-1 ouch

Poor defending, but this keeper and his positioning/movement :lol:

ANWAR

They are just too quick for us, we just cant handle their pressing

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Just home from the game. Basically it was men against boys. Aspire a faster, stronger and fitter side. Their finishing was very clinical.

Surprising how United lined up. Blackett and Van Velzen out of position, no out and out forward player, and a lot of small technical players in midfield. The defence was a bit erratic all game. Blackett was caught out a couple of times ballwatching and Van Velzen had a horror show at left back. Hendrie was caught out badly for the 5th goal.

Barmby looked to be the player most capable of hurting Aspire but he had one of those days where everything just nearly came off. He was also guilty as he has done all week of being very greedy. In the middle of the park we'd a lot of tidy ball players but no-one with a bit of bite. Rudge and Pearson tried hard but struggled to impose themselves on the game. The player i was most impressed with was Rothwell. He had a bit of a swagger to his game, very comfortable on the ball, linking up well with his teammates, nice flicks and tricks, and usually making the right decision. Daehli also looked a good technical player, but is a bit lightweight and didnt quite have the pace to get away from the Aspire players.

No shame in losing to Aspire, they were exceptional. I understand it was a very young side this year and many are still available again next year so they shouldnt be too disheartened.

Heffo

Disappointing result, but I think if you swap both defences it would be much closer. Played some very nice stuff at times, I was disappointed with Barmby as he seemed very good throughout the tournament, but he is only young so consistency will come with time. I thought United played much better after Wilson cam on whether that was due to his impact or the fact Aspire took their foot off the gas I'm not too sure.

Other than that I thought Rothwell was very good, Daelhi showed some very nice touches and some nice turn in tight spaces but got himself isolated a bit too much. Rudge was also impressive at times in midfield. I thought Pearson was also quite tidy in possession and kept the ball moving well. I think there are some really interesting midfield options in this group and Barmby and Wilson look very promising as well. I wonder if Wilkinson and Weir were injured because if not playing Van Velzen left back was a very strange decision.

I was set to kill that co-commentator though, putting down United youngsters from the off and saying they were the worst team United have had in years. It was embarrassing really, a grown man who was complaining about the way Youth coaching is in England and then basically writing off a bunch of 16 year old's who reached the final.

Anyway how many of the players are able to play next year? I would think quite a few as they are a very young team? Hopefully most of the First year scholars will be back next year, bigger and stronger and win it out.

mufcwarm92

Really poor end to what was an excellent tournament for us until the final. A real shame but it should be a good experience for these lads regardless.

Cold_Boy

who the feck is this Aspire academy?

How is a team from Qatar so better than United and Brazilian team?

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
who the feck is this Aspire academy?

How is a team from Qatar so better than United and Brazilian team?
Remember all the adverts for it on Eurosport and the like over the last few years. Basically it is a school and a footie academy. I presume they have their own scouting type network and develop talent (and take on youngster with sugardaddys paying tuition). Probably similar in style to La Masia.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Twitter
Read this guy's timeline for any information on Aspire's academy.