Northern Ireland Thread

PhilipB

got third place in a Juan Mata lookalike contest
Last week, I either ran over a sheep or ran over a
Really? Haven't noticed to be honest. Where are they?
TN, there's the murals painted on the road and the kerbstones are painted! Flags flying from people's houses etc although I haven't been down there in a month but I doubt it's changed. Not that there's a big deal about the Union Jack flying, that's grand. The paramilitary ones are more concerning although haven't seen any in a while. A UVF one occasionally pops up in Ballywalter.

The Neviller

TN, there's the murals painted on the road and the kerbstones are painted! Flags flying from people's houses etc although I haven't been down there in a month but I doubt it's changed. Not that there's a big deal about the Union Jack flying, that's grand. The paramilitary ones are more concerning although haven't seen any in a while. A UVF one occasionally pops up in Ballywalter.
Oh aye, the kerbs and stuff. I wasn't counting them as they aren't really flags. Plus they aren't painted where I live. Flags on peoples houses are normally around the 12th, I can't think of anywhere where they fly all year round. There are no paramilitary flags here either, the band in the village has always refused to fly one as well, something they've taken stick for.

Ballywalter is a whole other world.

PhilipB

Oh aye, the kerbs and stuff. I wasn't counting them as they aren't really flags. Plus they aren't painted where I live. Flags on peoples houses are normally around the 12th, I can't think of anywhere where they fly all year round. There are no paramilitary flags here either, the band in the village has always refused to fly one as well, something they've taken stick for.

Ballywalter is a whole other world.
Yea I've never seen a paramilitary flag flown in 'vogie, tbf. I have been kicked out of a house party there years ago for being a "fenian", 4 guys turned up and told me and my mate we had 10 minutes to leave or we'd be done in! We were 15 ffs :lol:

Didn't hang around either place much when I was growing up, Kircubbin was and is clearly 10 times better than both those places as it was mixed and people on both sides pretty much got along. In fact, it's still the only place where I've walked into a bar and there was a person wearing a Rangers top and another guy wearing a Celtic top, both having a pint beside each other.

The Neviller

Yea I've never seen a paramilitary flag flown in 'vogie, tbf. I have been kicked out of a house party there years ago for being a "fenian", 4 guys turned up and told me and my mate we had 10 minutes to leave or we'd be done in! We were 15 ffs :lol:

Didn't hang around either place much when I was growing up, Kircubbin was and is clearly 10 times better than both those places as it was mixed and people on both sides pretty much got along. In fact, it's still the only place where I've walked into a bar and there was a person wearing a Rangers top and another guy wearing a Celtic top, both having a pint beside each other.
Kircubbin? Euuurgh.

Didn't realise you were down here much, i'd have kicked you out sooner.

PhilipB

Kircubbin? Euuurgh.

Didn't realise you were down here much, i'd have kicked you out sooner.
Lots of the Ballywalter and Portavogie ones come in to Kircubbin to drink and there's never any problems. It's clearly the future, although I hate Kircubbin as well but that's because it's boring, tedious and it's always the same people there.

I'm not in it much apart from when I'm off uni and come down to visit my parents. Nice place all the same, if only for a day or two before boredom sets in.

The Neviller

Serious question to Neviller et al. Would dual sovereignty be that bad if you got to keep your British citizenship and all that it entails?
How would that work then? Where would we be governed from? Would the NICS still be going, and therefore my job? I don't really know, i've never thought about it too much to be honest, but there would be things that would have to be agreeable for me to consider it.

The Neviller

Lots of the Ballywalter and Portavogie ones come in to Kircubbin to drink and there's never any problems. It's clearly the future, although I hate Kircubbin as well but that's because it's boring, tedious and it's always the same people there.

I'm not in it much apart from when I'm off uni and come down to visit my parents. Nice place all the same, if only for a day or two before boredom sets in.
Aye, I have mates in Kircubbin. Plenty of decent lads in there that i'd happily have a beer with.

Plenty of Kircubbin one's would go into the Quays for a meal and that, and never get any bother either.

PhilipB

Aye, I have mates in Kircubbin. Plenty of decent lads in there that i'd happily have a beer with.

Plenty of Kircubbin one's would go into the Quays for a meal and that, and never get any bother either.
I wonder which of the same people we know. There's no way we wouldn't know the same guys.

Aye, very true! There's never really any bother between people in that way down there.

Liam147

On Probation

Your phone really has a shit auto correct doesn't it pal?

Also, why do so many towns over there sound like villages in CBBC programmes?

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
How would that work then? Where would we be governed from? Would the NICS still be going, and therefore my job? I don't really know, i've never thought about it too much to be honest, but there would be things that would have to be agreeable for me to consider it.
Well believe it or not one of the biggest stumbling blocks would be as a result of the UK's refusal to join the Euro. I imagine the same currency and tax rates etc would have helped. Dual Sovereignty was discussed as an option a long time ago but It seems it would be difficult to implement. Was just seeing if you would be open to the possibility.

Rooney24

It seems as though a united Unionist party is inevitable. However at current rates that could well just mean Mike Nesbitt filling out a DUP membership form.

Its probably their best chance to put the skids under this whole thing.

To be frank a United Ireland is inevitable. May not happen in our lifetimes, but its coming.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Its probably their best chance to put the skids under this whole thing.

To be frank a United Ireland is inevitable. May not happen in our lifetimes, but its coming.
I thought for a long time that a federal Europe would usurp any meaningful United Ireland and render the argument pointless, but that plan seems to have stopped for now anyway with Europe getting more fractured if anything.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Go out wearing your easter lilly in a GAA jersey.

Don't really do that, stay safe.

JohnLocke

Beef curry with boiled rice and two chicken wings.

I fully believe that things could be sorted out over here if everyone got a couple of chicken wings everyday. Who could be angry after chicken wings?

JohnLocke

I forgot to mention that I had a tin of Orange Fanta :D

We could all pick on the vegies then, and terrorise them for the next lot of years.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Protests provincewide tonight, we've been told in work. Mostly around 6 o'clock, might try and get left work early.
So out of curiosity, is anyone from the protestant community who are decent upstanding citizens and not hooded feckin methheads with a rangers scarf on doing anything to stop all this bollocks?

Rooney24

im home for xmas this weekend. The wankers will hopefully have jacked it in by then...

The Neviller

So out of curiosity, is anyone from the protestant community who are decent upstanding citizens and not hooded feckin methheads with a rangers scarf on doing anything to stop all this bollocks?
Like what? I'm just happy if I get home from work at a decent hour. Should I go out and talk them down? Do you think they'd listen?

acnumber9

What message is driven home to dissidents and how is it done? What exactly are people supposed to do to prevent riots?

The Neviller

If that's a serious comparison, your sectarianism is blinkering you massively.
What's the difference? Rioting and throwing petrol bombs, causing wanton destruction and generally acting the tool is the same whether it's a Rangers scarf or a Celtic scarf over your face. The only difference is you agree with the motives of one whilst you disagree with the other. The fact you can make a difference says more about you than me.

acnumber9

Don't fool yourself, if any of their leading politicians got involved it would be sorted quicker. Here is another thing, where are the water cannons? Im pretty sure blocking roads is illegal.
What message is being driven home by normal, working nationalists?