Northern Ireland Thread

Lastwolf

Green for Ireland, white for peace and orange for William.

I don't agree with the burning of the Irish flag. It incites hatred, it's incredibly immature and juvenile. I get people wanting to stand up for what they believe in, but resorting to rioting and burning flags is just animal behaviour IMO. It's utterly appalling and shameless.

I don't believe these cretins really know what they're supposed to be standing up for, they just want to stand there with ridiculous scarves covering their faces and wanting an excuse to fight (although some of them don't need an excuse!).

They set fire to some car at the top of my street in protest, I don't get it, it's like shitting in your own house in protest of your neighbors lawn ornament choice. The rather petty touch to line most of the Newtownards road with union flags made me laugh though.

I understand the sentiment, to each side the flag is a symbol of something they don't agree with, some bitter memories and a history of cyclical conflict.

It doesn't really matter what the Republic of Ireland flag means or is supposed to mean, for some it has taken on an entirely different meaning. It's a bit like the red hand of Ulster, widely considered a unionist symbol, it couldn't have more Irish history and was a symbol of those against english rule in the past.

It's all a bit childish to be honest, I wish they had more important matters to deal with instead of the colours on some cloth.

Raulduke

Major disruption on major roads out of Belfast this evening due to protests at broadway, sydenham and Ormeau. Should be an interesting drive home. :mad:

Lastwolf

Why are they protesting in Sydenham ?

At least it kind of made sense when they where huddled around a closed Alliance party office.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
A lot of people feel that they (unionists / loyalists / the Protestant community) are always having to make concessions and generally get screwed over.

Neither Peter Robinson or Ian Paisley have been members of a paramilitary organisation.

Martin McGuinnes, Gerry Adams, Gerry Kelly, Sean Lynch, Fra McCann, Jennifer McCann, Conor Murphy, Pat Sheenan and Raymond McCarthy have all been members of the IRA, and are now MLA's. Some of which have been jailed for murder and bombings.
:lol::lol: I will pretend i didnt read that

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
I had to laugh when yer woman was on the news last night saying that the tricolour gets burned all the time at Republican rallies :lol:

"I don't condone it but I don't condemn it either. "

JohnLocke

:lol::lol: I will pretend i didnt read that
Never heard of it in my life!

Ulster Resistance:

Ulster Resistance (**)
A Loyalist paramilitary style organisation which was formed on 10 November 1986 by Ian Paisley, then leader of the Democratic Unionist Party (DUP), Peter Robinson of the DUP, and Ivan Foster. The initial aim of Ulster Resistance was to bring an end to the Anglo-Irish Agreement. Following a rally in the Ulster Hall in Belfast, other rallies were held in towns across Northern Ireland. The group was organised in nine 'battalions' and members wore a red beret. In November 1988 there was an arms find in County Armagh and the subsequent arrest of a former DUP election candidate brought accusations of links between DUP politicians and armed paramilitary groups. The DUP claimed that party links with the organisation had ended in 1987. Two members of Ulster Resistance were arrested in April 1987 in Paris along with a South African diplomat. It was claimed that there had been an attempt to exchange information on Shorts' missile technology for weapons. In the late 1980s some former members of Ulster Resistance joined another grouping called Resistance.

What say ye of all the SF members I mentioned who have been in the IRA and bombed and killed?

Ramshock

Never heard of it in my life!

Ulster Resistance:

Ulster Resistance (**)
A Loyalist paramilitary style organisation which was formed on 10 November 1986 by Ian Paisley, then leader of the Democratic Unionist Party (DUP), Peter Robinson of the DUP, and Ivan Foster. The initial aim of Ulster Resistance was to bring an end to the Anglo-Irish Agreement. Following a rally in the Ulster Hall in Belfast, other rallies were held in towns across Northern Ireland. The group was organised in nine 'battalions' and members wore a red beret. In November 1988 there was an arms find in County Armagh and the subsequent arrest of a former DUP election candidate brought accusations of links between DUP politicians and armed paramilitary groups. The DUP claimed that party links with the organisation had ended in 1987. Two members of Ulster Resistance were arrested in April 1987 in Paris along with a South African diplomat. It was claimed that there had been an attempt to exchange information on Shorts' missile technology for weapons. In the late 1980s some former members of Ulster Resistance joined another grouping called Resistance.

What say ye of all the SF members I mentioned who have been in the IRA and bombed and killed?
Im not denying it, this isn't a cock measuring contest. Im just saying those aforementioned are more than complicit in nefarious activities in the past. Especially the current First Minister.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Green for Ireland, white for peace and orange for William.

I don't agree with the burning of the Irish flag. It incites hatred, it's incredibly immature and juvenile. I get people wanting to stand up for what they believe in, but resorting to rioting and burning flags is just animal behaviour IMO. It's utterly appalling and shameless.

I don't believe these cretins really know what they're supposed to be standing up for, they just want to stand there with ridiculous scarves covering their faces and wanting an excuse to fight (although some of them don't need an excuse!).
Its their moronic idiotic parents that have to shoulder part of the responsibility for their kids being out there doing that kind of utter brainless thing. Utter Utter wastes of Oxygen
Although given the fact that their kids are out there its pretty clear they havent taken responsibility for anything in their lives.

JohnLocke

Very few will deny the questionable past of some Sinn Fein members, it's the hypocritical "we don't want terrorists in government, well, only Protestant terrorists, so they can keep the Catholics downtrodden" line that they all spout.
Well I had never even heard of the Ulster Resistance until earlier today, and to be honest I don't know if this is because it was such a minor outfit or because it's generally not well known, or because of ignorance on my part.

I have lived in NI for all of my life (28 years) and I honestly had never heard of it. I also have a degree in politics :nervous:

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Well I had never even heard of the Ulster Resistance until earlier today, and to be honest I don't know if this is because it was such a minor outfit or because it's generally not well known, or because of ignorance on my part.

I have lived in NI for all of my life (28 years) and I honestly had never heard of it. I also have a degree in politics :nervous:

From 2.20

Ramshock

For some reason it's not as well publicised as McGuiness' past. Almost as if the media doesn't want to trash him as much...
Hit it on the head, the media controlled and still does to a certain degree most perceptions of leading Unionist politicians such as Paisley, Robinson, Dodds etc.

Gerbil just because you lived here all your life doesn't make you the most observant or learned person does it?

An Irish Red

The unionist parties have had some choice characters amongst them to say the least. I still think George Seawright has most of them beaten, or at least matched, for out and out bigotry. You know you're a bit of a mentalist when Ian Paisley thinks your views go a bit too far.

For those who don't know; Seawright suggested that tax-payers money would be better spent on an incinerator to burn catholics in. He ran about with loyalist gangs trying to throw his weight about before ultimately being executed by the IPLO on the Shankill road. The UVF included him in their roll of honour.

JohnLocke

Hit it on the head, the media controlled and still does to a certain degree most perceptions of leading Unionist politicians such as Paisley, Robinson, Dodds etc.

Gerbil just because you lived here all your life doesn't make you the most observant or learned person does it?
I never implied that living here my whole life made me anything, so don't be a dick.

I said it to highlight the fact that it's not a particularly well known group, and if someone like me - who has lived here my whole life, in predominantly Protestant areas, and has a decent standard of education - hasn't heard of it then I doubt very much that the people shouting no surrender and burning flags in the street have either.

Or it is due to my own ignorance that I haven't heard of it, which I freely admitted may be the case, without your smartarsery.

Maybe I'm not the most observant person, but I know a cnut when I see one.

Rooney24

I had to laugh when yer woman was on the news last night saying that the tricolour gets burned all the time at Republican rallies :lol:

"I don't condone it but I don't condemn it either. "
Yeah, what the hell was she on about? Baffled by that myself.

Ramshock

I never implied that living here my whole life made me anything, so don't be a dick.

I said it to highlight the fact that it's not a particularly well known group, and if someone like me - who has lived here my whole life, in predominantly Protestant areas, and has a decent standard of education - hasn't heard of it then I doubt very much that the people shouting no surrender and burning flags in the street have either.

Or it is due to my own ignorance that I haven't heard of it, which I freely admitted may be the case, without your smartarsery.

Maybe I'm not the most observant person, but I know a cnut when I see one.
:lol: Well you missed two blatantly obvious ones your whole life!

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
It's about time this was put to an end. You make us all look like cnuts you utter wankers.
:lol: Bad for the image all this carry on. TBF, I don't think we're making you all look like cnuts, some of the people are making themselves look like cnuts. Unless you're one of those tools then you don't look like anymore of a cnut than you always do.

PhilipB

got third place in a Juan Mata lookalike contest
Last week, I either ran over a sheep or ran over a
:lol: Bad for the image all this carry on. TBF, I don't think we're making you all look like cnuts, some of the people are making themselves look like cnuts. Unless you're one of those tools then you don't look like anymore of a cnut than you always do.
I think he meant the Loyalists out rioting are making the ordinary Unionists look like cnuts.

The Neviller

I think he meant the Loyalists out rioting are making the ordinary Unionists look like cnuts.
:lol:

Yeah, I wasn't talking about the people posting the pics and videos, I was talking about the fecktards in them.

The ones posting the pics and videos are wankers too, mind, but just because they're wankers, not because of the pics and videos ;)

Irwinwastheking

I know that's what the cnut meant. I disagree though. It's making themselves look like cnuts. The Unionists who are not out rioting don't look like cnuts, apart from the ones that are cnuts, but that's another matter.

The Neviller

I know that's what the cnut meant. I disagree though. It's making themselves look like cnuts. The Unionists who are not out rioting don't look like cnuts, apart from the ones that are cnuts, but that's another matter.
Nah, you didn't. Unless you're one of the ones out rioting, which would be the only way you're use of "we're" would've made sense otherwise. Saying we're indicated you thought I was saying you lot were making us look like cnuts. If you knew what I meant you'd have said they're, surely?

It's ok to admit to misreading something mate, I won't have a go.

Irwinwastheking

Nah, you didn't. Unless you're one of the ones out rioting, which would be the only way you're use of "we're" would've made sense otherwise. Saying we're indicated you thought I was saying you lot were making us look like cnuts. If you knew what I meant you'd have said they're, surely?

It's ok to admit to misreading something mate, I won't have a go.
I actually think I may have mis-typed that, or maybe I'm a closet loyalist.