Northern Ireland Thread

JohnLocke

Did anyone see the woman shouting "No Surrender" through the broken door window on the news tonight?

It was fecking priceless!

:lol:

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Some people can't distinguish between Unionist Politicians and Unionist people. Although the Unionist Parties represent the majority of the Unionist people it doesn't mean they share the same traits. Politicians on the whole are the scum of society and bring out the worst in a community. Yes I agree with the sentiment that Unionist Politicians long standing love for Democracy does seem to be diminished every time a major democratic decision goes against them and they will then wager their influence and power over the Unionist people to do what ever is required, illegal and undemocratic if necessary to either;

- change what has happened like the Ulster Workers Council Strike which brought down Sunnngdale.
- Promote violence to change what happened like at the Drumcree Standoff
- Promote activism and allow for this sort of violence to do nothing more than make a point like what is happening now.

It's the Unionist Leadership that causes these problems. They know that they will always have a band of merry men who hate Dublin and Rome enough to do what's needed when their masters decree what's to be done. Thankfully this bunch of idiots is getting smaller all the time, and it's eventually going to be extinct. I think a much larger portion of young Unionists now have an ideology more akin to what TN has.

To my best reckoning, he's a Unionist who has loyalty to the British Crown. He's not a hardliner and he's not a Catholic hater, but he's willing to defend Unionist ideals in a discussion. I think more and more people are being brought up with this more tolerant viewpoint and they are beginning to outnumber the little scrotes who carry out the rioting and hold the hateful attitudes.

I could be wrong though.

sammymc

Must be ok to wear masks and throw petrol bombs when it's a cause you believe in then. Don't kid yourself that those out in the Ardoyne are anything other than a rabble. Much like the rabble out now.
aye...theyre examples of constant agitation on both sides.

take down all flags and stop all marches.

Irwinwastheking

FOR SALE

Nearly new Union flag. Will sell for £19.16 but willing to accept £16.90 if buyer will collect. Time share also an option as I may require item for 15 days per annum.

NO TIME WASTERS PLEASE!
I chuckled/

sammymc

Some people can't distinguish between Unionist Politicians and Unionist people. Although the Unionist Parties represent the majority of the Unionist people it doesn't mean they share the same traits. Politicians on the whole are the scum of society and bring out the worst in a community. Yes I agree with the sentiment that Unionist Politicians long standing love for Democracy does seem to be diminished every time a major democratic decision goes against them and they will then wager their influence and power over the Unionist people to do what ever is required, illegal and undemocratic if necessary to either;

- change what has happened like the Ulster Workers Council Strike which brought down Sunnngdale.
- Promote activism and allow for this sort of violence to do nothing more than make a point like what is happening now.

It's the Unionist Leadership that causes these problems. They know that they will always have a band of merry men who hate Dublin and Rome enough to do what's needed when their masters decree what's to be done. Thankfully this bunch of idiots is getting smaller all the time, and it's eventually going to be extinct. I think a much larger portion of young Unionists now have an ideology more akin to what TN has.

To my best reckoning, he's a Unionist who has loyalty to the British Crown. He's not a hardliner and he's not a Catholic hater, but he's willing to defend Unionist ideals in a discussion. I think more and more people are being brought up with this more tolerant viewpoint and they are beginning to outnumber the little scrotes who carry out the rioting and hold the hateful attitudes.

I could be wrong though.

Id like to think youre right Irwin...however your notion that the unionist people just follow their politicans as some kind of blind sheep into each of these situations is a little demeaning and dare I say revisionist.

Pulling down the flag from city hall is one thing...theres other issues that will raise their heads over the coming years and we'll see if that more tolerant youth will follow suit then.

The Neviller

I could be wrong though.
Spot on Irwin. It seems people often think to have Unionist beliefs you have to hate catholics among other things. Personally speaking that couldn't be further from the truth. How you've described me is pretty much bang on the money.

I'll defend my Unionist beliefs to anyone, I'm not ashamed of them, but that doesn't mean I agree with everything the main unionist parties do and say, nor do I agree with rioting because you don't agree with a democratic vote.

Irwinwastheking

Id like to think youre right Irwin...however your notion that the unionist people just follow their politicans as some kind of blind sheep into each of these situations is a little demeaning and dare I say revisionist.

Pulling down the flag from city hall is one thing...theres other issues that will raise their heads over the coming years and we'll see if that more tolerant youth will follow suit then.
You could be right, but they don't follow them in the numbers that used to, and the ones that do really are sheep.

Seriously, anyone anywhere who goes out on the street ont he word of a Politician wants their head seen to.

sammymc

That all nationalists are masked murderers?
yes...if you want.

If the logical step you take to thinking rejecting a democratic process is the equivalent to that..then Im willing to play along with you...if you had said that nationalists would do the same and have done so, id have agreed wholeheartedly. But true colours are shown sometimes eh.

sammymc

You could be right, but they don't follow them in the numbers that used to, and the ones that do really are sheep.
and yet the extremists on both sides hold the majority of the vote.....its a mutual dance...unfortunately at some point a climax has to be reached and we'll see who really wants peace and under what circumstances.

The Neviller

My viewpoint won't change, and I'd wager there are plenty of others like me.

I'll never vote for a united Ireland, I'll always want to keep the union but if the time comes when the majority do want that then I'll have to either accept it or live elsewhere. I'm not a violent person and nothing will change that.

The Neviller

yes...if you want.

If the logical step you take to thinking rejecting a democratic process is the equivalent to that..then Im willing to play along with you...if you had said that nationalists would do the same and have done so, id have agreed wholeheartedly. But true colours are shown sometimes eh.
That isn't what i said. I said not all unionist people are out in the streets rioting and that you can't tar us all with the same brush, just as not all nationalists are terrorists. My point being that there are more to people than the worst case scenario of those who represent them. It would be wrong of me to view nationalists/Republicans as terrorists, just as it's wrong to think all unionists agree with the reaction to this vote. Plenty of unionists see the vote for what it is, a democratic vote by elected representatives. I don't have to agree with the vote to accept it.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
TN, serious question:
I wonder if you'll have to make the decision to leave, or accept a united Ireland, in your lifetime.
I wonder how many other unionists feel that they'd leave.
And where would you/they go to?

and yeah, I know you can't speak for the entire unionist community but you might have some idea of the depth of feeling on that issue, from your friends and neighbours.

Irwinwastheking

It's my belief that if it happens that a majority of NI vote in a referendum for a United Ireland there will be civil war on a scale this island has never seen.

(unless it's way distant in the future and attitudes have changed totally.)

The Neviller

TN, serious question:
I wonder if you'll have to make the decision to leave, or accept a united Ireland, in your lifetime.
I wonder how many other unionists feel that they'd leave.
And where would you/they go to?

and yeah, I know you can't speak for the entire unionist community but you might have some idea of the depth of feeling on that issue, from your friends and neighbours.
I don't really know, is the honest answer. Surprising as it may seem it isn't really something I've discussed too many times, if at all.

Speaking from a personal perspective it isn't something I'd want. I certainly wouldn't vote yes for it, I want the union to remain. Would I leave? No idea, I'd have to see if I felt comfortable with it or not. Either way, if it was a majority vote those would be the only two right options. Accept that the country has changed and make the most of it, or go elsewhere.

It's not as if taking up arms would change anything. ;)
lolz

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Irwin, so you still have your finger on the pulse then.

I'd pray that you're wrong but my head says that you're probably right.
and the pro union side would be better armed, historically anyway.

edit: funny TN. very funny.

PhilipB

got third place in a Juan Mata lookalike contest
Last week, I either ran over a sheep or ran over a
It's my belief that if it happens that a majority of NI vote in a referendum for a United Ireland there will be civil war on a scale this island has never seen.

(unless it's way distant in the future and attitudes have changed totally.)
I don't believe that to be true. Most don't have the stomach for it any more and a lot of the youth don't really give a shit.

Irwinwastheking

I don't believe that to be true. Most don't have the stomach for it any more and a lot of the youth don't really give a shit.
Hope your right P. Problem is, look at the reaction when a flag has been taken down. Look at the reaction when certain contentious parades are blocked. Look at the reaction with that crap with the kids walking to school a few years ago.

If you believe that the people who had these reactions would just chill there way through Ireland becoming United then you have more faith in people than me. Can you imagine the scenes at a contentious parade if it was the Guards telling the apprentice boys or the Orange Order they can't walk down a road?

By the way, the only reason I'm picking out Unionist reactions and over reactions is because the question is what would a Unionist reaction to a United Ireland.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
Most people in the north want to stay in the Union. Economically, I wouldn't vote for a United Ireland.

I like Scrumpet's mate's idea about having a pirate flag flying over City Hall. fecking crooks the lot of them.

Irwinwastheking

Most people in the north want to stay in the Union. Economically, I wouldn't vote for a United Ireland.

I like Scrumpet's mate's idea about having a pirate flag flying over City Hall. fecking crooks the lot of them.
Right now it doesn't make economic sense Badunk, but a huge majority of Catholics/Nationalists would still vote for the United Ireland if it came down to it on purely historic and idealogical grounds. I know all of my family, friends, childhood friends, and people I know from home would. Then again I was raised in a Nationalist Heartland.

Also, economies swing in cycles. A few years ago the Republics economy was the darling of the EU and we are all Nouveau Riche yuppies down here.

PhilipB

Hope your right P. Problem is, look at the reaction when a flag has been taken down. Look at the reaction when certain contentious parades are blocked. Look at the reaction with that crap with the kids walking to school a few years ago.

If you believe that the people who had these reactions would just chill there way through Ireland becoming United then you have more faith in people than me. Can you imagine the scenes at a contentious parade if it was the Guards telling the apprentice boys or the Orange Order they can't walk down a road?

By the way, the only reason I'm picking out Unionist reactions and over reactions is because the question is what would a Unionist reaction to a United Ireland.
Yesterday it wasn't even a particularly bad reaction, in terms of ones we've had before. There wasn't that many out on the street rioting. I was mainly disputing your point about it being the worst civil war we've seen, I don't think it would come close tbh.

Irwinwastheking

Yesterday it wasn't even a particularly bad reaction, in terms of ones we've had before. There wasn't that many out on the street rioting. I was mainly disputing your point about it being the worst civil war we've seen, I don't think it would come close tbh.
FFS, is a man not even allowed to completely exaggerate when it comes to NI politics/terrorism/civil war any more??

FWIW, I do feel there would be a very bad civil war, I feel that the Loyalist's could actually organise themselves for the first time ever and their ranks would swell enormously (given they were never very well supported in the past). Would they prove a bigger threat than the IRA? Long terms definitely not, but in the short term they would cause huge problems.

PhilipB

FFS, is a man not even allowed to completely exaggerate when it comes to NI politics/terrorism/civil war any more??

FWIW, I do feel there would be a very bad civil war, I feel that the Loyalist's could actually organise themselves for the first time ever and their ranks would swell enormously (given they were never very well supported in the past). Would they prove a bigger threat than the IRA? Long terms definitely not, but in the short term they would cause huge problems.
What gives you that impression?

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
A United Ireland can only be considered if there were written guarantees protecting the minority. What they are can only come through negotiations. Surely people have moved on a little...even if politicians seek to gain power by shit stirring as this incident proves.

sammymc

I see newry council are helping matters along by keeping the Raymond McCreesh playground name...shared future folks...shared future.

Rooney24

I guess the one bright spot in all of this is that NI politicians actually compromised on something.

Whether you agree with what they were compromising on or not is beside the point.

Surely that compromise is progress in itself?

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
I'd Love to put up a pirate flag there.