Northern Ireland Thread

The Neviller

Tenner says arrests are in single figures.
No condemnation for the injury of your colleagues? Collateral damage in the good fight?
And their suppliers.
Well yes popper, but the nationalists behaved themselves last night, so he needs to have a go at us in a different way this morning.
No agenda here.

loyalists/unionists really dont like a democratic process if it goes against them in anyway....the thing to remember is the only thing loyalists are loyal to is themselves.
Nice to see all Unionists tarred with the same brush on here.

Again.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
My apologies to Baz for doubting him.

Sorry, Baz.

sammymc

Nice to see all Unionists tarred with the same brush on here.

Again.
sorry...a lifetimes experience of seeing unionism saying one thing and then actually doing the complete opposite has left my view of it particularly jaded....so which unionist party/element is the upholder of democratic means in your opinion? DUP? UUP? TUV? UDP? PUP?

as with both sides...it good to be able to mouth off about democracy but know in you heart that you can always rely on the "others" to get out there and do the dirty work when its required.

The Neviller

sorry...a lifetimes experience of seeing unionism saying one thing and then actually doing the complete opposite has left my view of it particularly jaded....so which unionist party/element is the upholder of democratic means in your opinion? DUP? UUP? TUV? UDP? PUP?

as with both sides...it good to be able to mouth off about democracy but know in you heart that you can always rely on the "others" to get out there and do the dirty work when its required.
I don't vote.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Lads, we don't like Republicans all presumed to be Dissident terrorists, let's not presume Unionists are all bad.

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
What's being overlooked here is that Sinn Fein and SDLP have actively voted to fly the union flag, as part of a policy in line with many other UK councils.
Aye it's madness. I doubt many honest unionists will be upset - but it's a disgrace to see the yobs turn up last night and run riot.

Stephen Nolan show today was a laugh.

The Neviller

Aye it's madness. I doubt many honest unionists will be upset - but it's a disgrace to see the yobs turn up last night and run riot.

Stephen Nolan show today was a laugh.
You're right, of course. Normal, decent, sensible Unionists mostly aren't that bothered, and see it for what it is. A democtratic vote by elected representatives.

Let's not let common sense get in the way though baz, not when there is prod bashing to be done.

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
You're right, of course. Normal, decent, sensible Unionists mostly aren't that bothered, and see it for what it is. A democtratic vote by elected representatives.

Let's not let common sense get in the way though baz, not when there is prod bashing to be done.
What it is TN is the beginning of the removal of British identity of the island to some. And obviously city hall is important in the history of the north. It I'd also worth noting that storming have had the 15 day rule for some time.

An Irish Red

Surely you of all people would be aware that loyalists and 'prods' are not one and the same? I've seen plenty of posts on this site having a go at loyalists but I'm yet to see a sectarian comment. I certainly don't remember one anyway.

For what it's worth, I agree with you that most people won't care. Certainly not if it was treated as the singular issue that it is anyway. The problem is unionist politicians inciting and instigating, telling people things like 'they're removing the flag because they hate protestants' because they know they can play the lunatic fringe like a fiddle. It's what they've always done (by 'they' I mean unionist politicians, nothing else).

The Neviller

Surely you of all people would be aware that loyalists and 'prods' are not one and the same? I've seen plenty of posts on this site having a go at loyalists but I'm yet to see a sectarian comment. I certainly don't remember one anyway.

For what it's worth, I agree with you that most people won't care. Certainly not if it was treated as the singular issue that it is anyway. The problem is unionist politicians inciting and instigating, telling people things like 'they're removing the flag because they hate protestants' because they know they can play the lunatic fringe like a fiddle. It's what they've always done (by 'they' I mean unionist politicians, nothing else).
When you cast aspersions on Unionists, whilst grouping them in with Loyalists as one and the same (which is what I was getting at, has already been done on this page) what is that classed as? Unionists and Loyalists (in the proper sense of that word) aren't one and the same. Some Unionists may well be loyalists, but they aren't all. Just as not all nationalists are republican terrorists.

I disagreed with the statement that unionists don't like democracy if it goes against them. It's horseshit, and is again tarring us all with the same idiot brush. I wasn't out there demostrating or getting involved in thuggery and hooliganism. I'm a Unionist (though one who doesn't vote for any party at all), I'm all for democracy and see the decision for what it is. A democtratic decision, voted on by elected representatives. Whether I agree with the decision means feck all (not that I don't) it was a democtratic one, and it'll just have to be accepted.

An Irish Red

I disagreed with the statement that unionists don't like democracy if it goes against them. It's horseshit, and is again tarring us all with the same idiot brush. I wasn't out there demostrating or getting involved in thuggery and hooliganism. I'm a Unionist (though one who doesn't vote for any party at all), I'm all for democracy and see the decision for what it is. A democtratic decision, voted on by elected representatives. Whether I agree with the decision means feck all (not that I don't) it was a democtratic one, and it'll just have to be accepted.
I don't think anyone is in any doubt that there are decent, law-abiding unionists. It's always been my view that the majority of people, on both sides, are infinitely more concerned with how they can feed and clothe their families than with what colour of flag is above them.

Unionist politicians are a different breed though. They know that a lot of people similar to yourself will vote for them purely because they are the largest unionist party, similar to how a lot of nationalists will vote for Sinn Fein for the same reasons, and respond by attempting to come across as hardline as possible to appease the sections of their community that disagree with working with nationalists. That's part of the reason why you get disparities whereby Sinn Fein make lots of concessions and compromises and the unionist politicians refuse to accept the results of a democratic vote if it goes against them (a unionist councillor in belfast council went on record last night saying he wouldn't work with SF or SDLP again).

JakeC

Most ironic picture ever.

The Neviller

So a bunch of hoodlums go out to cause trouble and all of us who supoort Unionism are one and the same. Must remember that when the Ardoyne boys are out again.

The Neviller

it's just a flag TN, it's just a flag.
It's perfectly clear now that the only part you want to play in this conversation is to incite a reaction so I'll just ignore you from now on.

Tell me this first though, is your attempt at provoking me purely because I'm a Protestant? It's a tad pathetic if so.

JakeC

Does nobody get the irony in the pitcutre?

The Neviller

"Unionists don't like democracy" is a perfectly valid summation of the scenario we have when the two largest mainstream unionist parties (what percentage of the unionist vote do they share?) responded to the democratic process in BCC with a call to arms and a rabble rousing 40,000 leaflet drop in loyalist heartlands, then they come out afterwards and are more bothered about condemning the democratic vote than they are about condemning the violence.
Call to arms? You've made that bit up haven't you?

sammymc

Lads, we don't like Republicans all presumed to be Dissident terrorists, let's not presume Unionists are all bad.
Not all unionist are bad...no-one has said that.

However thinking that the rule of democracy goes out the window when they feel things arent going their way is something different.

I also think nationalists are the exact same by the way.

its too entrenched.

sammymc

So a bunch of hoodlums go out to cause trouble and all of us who supoort Unionism are one and the same. Must remember that when the Ardoyne boys are out again.
Do so....

why are they out again?

Oh thats right....I remember now.

queens highway...blah blah blah.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
It's perfectly clear now that the only part you want to play in this conversation is to incite a reaction so I'll just ignore you from now on.

Tell me this first though, is your attempt at provoking me purely because I'm a Protestant? It's a tad pathetic if so.
Steady on TN, and don't flatter yourself either. I wasn't directing anything at yourself, just commenting on what I thought of it all.

You may not like my style of posting but go ahead and push the ignore button if you like.

slainte!

sammymc

man disagree all you want...unionism within a state that was founded under a rejection of the democratic process while using the implicit threat of an illegal militia...surely you remember all them celebrations in September.

The Neviller

Steady on TN, and don't flatter yourself either. I wasn't directing anything at yourself, just commenting on what I thought of it all.

You may not like my style of posting but go ahead and push the ignore button if you like.

slainte!
It's usually a good idea to not mention people by name when you're not directing anything at individuals. Who was the "it's only a flag TN" aimed at, if not me?

I don't put people on ignore, but you were clearly out for a reaction. At least be honest about it.

The Neviller

go on....why is that?
You can be a Unionist and support maintaining the Union without thinking the Unionist political parties deal with things how you want then to. This was my point in the first place, you can't tar everyone with the same brush. Are all nationalists masked murderers?

The Neviller

To be fair, he aimed it at you after you called him a moron and a cnut.
Well he was being both. Trying to insinuate there is no link between SF and the IRA is moronic. Trying to incite a reaction from someone in a thread like this is cnutish.

I'd already stated my opinion on the issue at hand, the democratic vote should be accepted. As usual all unionists get grouped in with the rabid minority. How many of us are out on the streets?

JakeC

Well he was being both. Trying to insinuate there is no link between SF and the IRA is moronic. Trying to incite a reaction from someone in a thread like this is cnutish.

I'd already stated my opinion on the issue at hand, the democratic vote should be accepted. As usual all unionists get grouped in with the rabid minority. How many of us are out on the streets?
Gerry Adams is a wanker of the highest order, as bad as Paisley.

sammymc

for this? not that many.

at other times....well thousands upon thousands.

you pick your fights.

The Neviller

Do so....

why are they out again?

Oh thats right....I remember now.

queens highway...blah blah blah.
Must be ok to wear masks and throw petrol bombs when it's a cause you believe in then. Don't kid yourself that those out in the Ardoyne are anything other than a rabble. Much like the rabble out now.

The Neviller

:lol: I was taking the high ground not mentioning that.

there's a few things that can get me going but e-fighting isn't one of them. :D
Yeah, you've got the high ground with the way you swept everyone with Unionist beliefs into one tidy little package. We're all the same.