Northern Ireland Thread

Raulduke

I'd guess that the shooters were New IRA as reported but that those arrested are career criminals involved in the supply of the cars and or weapons and could conceivably be from a Loyalist drug gang.

cyberman

I'd guess that the shooters were New IRA as reported but that those arrested are career criminals involved in the supply of the cars and or weapons and could conceivably be from a Loyalist drug gang.
Linking them to the IRA gives them extra allowances under the terrorism act is the supposed theory.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
That’s it - under the guise of terrorism, they’re all in it together to protect their drug running and whatever else rackets they have making them money. Irish freedom my arse, drug freedom more like

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
That’s it - under the guise of terrorism, they’re all in it together to protect their drug running and whatever else rackets they have making them money. Irish freedom my arse, drug freedom more like
Yeah this is all to do with protecting their drugs supplies that they pump into their own communities rather than sectarian violence. Hopefully this will now show these frauds up for what they really are - just organised crime thugs using the IRA banner as cover.

Raulduke

And here we have a spokesperson for loyalist narco gangs casually threatening violence if they don't get their way on the protocol. Gee, I wonder why drug gangs would have a problem with customs checks on containers coming into Northern Irish ports?

cyberman

And here we have a spokesperson for loyalist narco gangs casually threatening violence if they don't get their way on the protocol. Gee, I wonder why drug gangs would have a problem with customs checks on containers coming into Northern Irish ports?

The fact they’re given this platform is an utter disgrace.

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
Supports
Crusaders FC

stevoc

Tbf he does have a point about it not addressing everything. Because we all know the main issue is a SF first minister, not the protocol itself. So a brand new protocol doesn't fix his parties main issue
Bingo, they'll just keep finding things to get upset over so they have an excuse to hold up stormont.

I wish we could pack all these politicians into a rocket and shoot them into the moon. And put people up for election that actually want to run the place for the betterment of the people that live here.

RedfromIreland

Bingo, they'll just keep finding things to get upset over so they have an excuse to hold up stormont.

I wish we could pack all these politicians into a rocket and shoot them into the moon.
That would be great.
Unfortunately the people who voted for these feckers will continue to vote for them and we’ll be going round in circles till eternity.

stevoc

That would be great.
Unfortunately the people who voted for these feckers will continue to vote for them and we’ll be going round in circles till eternity.
Sadly yes and we all know why people vote for them. To keep 'themmuns' out.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
That would be great.
They represent almost 17% of voters in NI, which is about 12 percent of the population. And a very small percentage of communities in either Britain, Ireland or both. I am not saying they should be ignored. But the overwhelming majority wants to get on with their lives, their businesses, their growth as a community.

Tincanalley

Incredible that the current structure gives a veto on even having a government to this bunch of mainly male, white, protestant (no other faiths or atheists need apply), gay-hating, xenophobic, arch conservatives. Having to sit in Stormont with Michelle O'Neill as First Minister would cause blood pressure for them, poor things.

Rooney24

So what’s the next move for the DUP ?

The commons vote was pretty emphatic and the British government says the WF will not be renegotiated. Seems the end of the road.

So do they just stay out of Stormont indefinitely?

DON’T PANIC ™

DUP messed this up big time, they could have hailed the framework as a victory, taken a lot of the credit for getting significant changes to the Protocol.

I don't know where they go from here now that they have rejected it with it going to be signed between UK & EU anyway.

Nothing will happen in NI until at least after the local elections. DUP wont want to alienate a sizeable portion of their own electorate by going back into the Executive. Whether they ever go back to Stormont at all is still 50/50 imo.

Whilst their no power sharing stance may appease the unionist hardliners, the rest of the electorate will become more and more frustrated. The DUP are doing SF's work for them, edging us closer to a border poll and only themselves to blame.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
DUP messed this up big time, they could have hailed the framework as a victory, taken a lot of the credit for getting significant changes to the Protocol.

I don't know where they go from here now that they have rejected it with it going to be signed between UK & EU anyway.

Nothing will happen in NI until at least after the local elections. DUP wont want to alienate a sizeable portion of their own electorate by going back into the Executive. Whether they ever go back to Stormont at all is still 50/50 imo.

Whilst their no power sharing stance may appease the unionist hardliners, the rest of the electorate will become more and more frustrated. The DUP are doing SF's work for them, edging us closer to a border poll and only themselves to blame.
I agree with you and this only shows how deep the split is within the party as Donaldson was unable to get the backing required to support the Windsor Agreement and is basically under the foot of the likes of Paisley, Wilson and of course the fear of the TUV looming large. They have totally fecked this up as it could have been seen as a big win for them and then could have returned to Stormont looking good to their supporters but now I honestly struggle to see what their strategy is and what their way out is.

Rooney24

I agree with you and this only shows how deep the split is within the party as Donaldson was unable to get the backing required to support the Windsor Agreement and is basically under the foot of the likes of Paisley, Wilson and of course the fear of the TUV looming large. They have totally fecked this up as it could have been seen as a big win for them and then could have returned to Stormont looking good to their supporters but now I honestly struggle to see what their strategy is and what their way out is.
Yeah this is kind of what prompted my question. It's extremely difficult to see how they move now.

The seem to be under the belief that the Protocol got changed so they will get the WF changed to. but they don't seem to understand that was at a time when the UK government also wanted changes to the protocol. That's not the situation with the WF anymore and it seems completely closed as far as the government go.

Id almost bet the SoS is hoping they pay the price at the next local elections coming up and then I could see him calling an Assembly election and hope the DUP get wiped out or at least knocked out of second place. As it stands that's the only way I see Stormont coming back now.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Can the country just move on and get back to running the country without them? Fine, don’t want to be in government, let’s move on without you. Time for one party or another to stop holding this country back

caid

Can the country just move on and get back to running the country without them? Fine, don’t want to be in government, let’s move on without you. Time for one party or another to stop holding this country back
Is there any plausible possibility of an election leading to that?

Rooney24

This has to be the next step. It's time to break the cycle of one party talking the Assembly down.

Lastwolf

Is there any plausible possibility of an election leading to that?
No,

It would take a historic collapse of their voting base and meteoric resurgence of the UUP, the likes of which we haven't seen since the post GFA elections (when SF and the DUP rose to power). Since the UUP will barely run enough candidates to even theoretically nab enough of the DUP seats, we likely see some further erosion to other parties, Mainly Alliance but since they are busy shooting themselves in the foot dying on the strangest of hills, probably not. Even if we see a repeat of the losses of last election, that still leave SF + DUP as the largest parties of their respective sides, with Alliance being second largest but not counting as either therefore making zero difference.

The only way to break the deadlock atm would some GIGA chad 4d chess moves from Sin Fein after an utter collapse of the DUP to make sure Alliance is the largest party, then an assembly can be formed with any other largest denominational group, ie at that point SF.

Last edited:

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
No,

It would take a historic collapse of their voting base and meteoric resurgence of the UUP, the likes of which we haven't seen since the post GFA elections (when SF and the DUP rose to power). Since the UUP will barely run enough candidates to even theoretically nab enough of the DUP seats, we likely see some further erosion to other parties, Mainly Alliance but since they are busy shooting themselves in the foot dying on the strangest of hills, probably not. Even if we see a repeat of the losses of last election, that still leave SF + DUP as the largest parties of their respective sides, with Alliance being second largest but not counting as either therefore making zero difference.

The only way to break the deadlock atm would some GIGA chad 4d chess moves from Sin Fein after an utter collapse of the DUP to make sure Alliance is the largest party, then an assembly can be formed with any other largest denominational group, ie at that point SF.
What is Alliances strange hill?

Also its Sinn Fein

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
So what’s the next move for the DUP ?

The commons vote was pretty emphatic and the British government says the WF will not be renegotiated. Seems the end of the road.

So do they just stay out of Stormont indefinitely?
Jumping off a fecking cliff hopefully.

I hope theres joint rule from Dublin and London that would feck them off even more.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
No,

Alliance being the largest or second largest party wouldnt make a difference because in the GFA it states that it must be the biggest unionist and nationalist parties who power share so it's always the DUP unless that gets changed.

Tincanalley

Almost half of Boris’ dismal Westminster ‘revolt’ against the EU deal were DUP. They may not care, but they seem more isolated than ever. Donaldson might be feeling the pressure, not so much from ‘normal’ politics, which he has abandoned, but from certain loyalist groups, and various other dark players, including whoever gave them the huge donation to promote Brexit in Britain.

The way is clear. All he has to do now is launch a spirited campaign against democracy and prosperity

Rooney24

Has Arlene Foster nothing better to do but worry about a wee flag on a fecking car ?

for any unionists on this forum I genuinely feel sorry for you guys. You must feel hugely under represented.

caid

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/sinn-f...lections-urges-return-of-government-1.6407884

What does it mean for northern irelad and ireland unification? Are northern ireland for it? Or is just brexit protest?
It doesn't mean much really. Slowly shifting demographics. If its a protest vote its about blocking a government being formed. Brexit could be a spectacularly advantageous situation for northern ireland really. Unification is probably 20+ years off at best.
Or thats my impression anyway.