Northern Ireland Thread

lsd

The Oracle
Police will not be fighting back or firing rubber bullets at loyalists not in a million years

Once nationaliss get fired up and start rioting in greater force than present which is happening them the police move in to gear .

This is the same thing which happens over and over and no doubt still really escalate as we get into marchng season .

When you are allowed and encouraged to express hatred in this fashion then this is what happens

It's similar to Trump's supporters in US eventually you end up with what happened in Capital Hill because there is no consequences and they are encouraged to do this

Player Red

Police will not be fighting back or firing rubber bullets at loyalists not in a million years

Once nationaliss get fired up and start rioting in greater force than present which is happening them the police move in to gear .

This is the same thing which happens over and over and no doubt still really escalate as we get into marchng season .

When you are allowed and encouraged to express hatred in this fashion then this is what happens

It's similar to Trump's supporters in US eventually you end up with what happened in Capital Hill because there is no consequences and they are encouraged to do this
They used baton rounds last night.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

6 were discharged, I think the bit in bold is incorrect in the current times.

lsd

The Oracle
They use minimal force on Loyalists and we all know it no point pretending otherwise.

The supporters of Trump protests in US and how they are allowed to get so far comparison fully stands when it comes to loyalist riots here

fergosaurus

Apparently there's going to be more unrest and road barricades some time from 6pm onwards today so be careful if you're out and about for whatever reason. Was supposed to collect my car from getting fixed but will wait until tomorrow now just in case. Wankers.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I fear that this will go on into the summer when it will be all heightened even more with marching season.

poleglass red

the DUP built the narrative pre riots, that the PSNI is anti Unionist to deflect from the mistakes they have made and how working class loyalist confidence within them, is at an all time low. They used the funeral as an excuse to attack the PSNI when it was the PPS who failed to prosecute. With all the repeated calls from Arlene on Byrne to resign, riots starts and if they had of went in heavy handed it's just another example of the anti unionist police force. The likes of Campbell, Allister and Foster where very prominent after the decision not to prosecute anyone, riots start, are they on the ground trying to clam tensions, are their family members out rioting, not a chance. Campbell even made a half hearted appeal for the riots to stop but spent most of it attacking sinn fein. It's disgusting using people in this way, it's also noticabale it took 6 days to approach the peaceline at lanark way and Springfield rd. That's the next step to ramp it up, tempt the other side out, to lead us to absolute carnage. PSNI can't control loyalists on their own side never mind adding the other side to the equation.Julie ann corr gave a good version of the current state of thinking within loyalism on the William Crawley show today. Not that I am a fan of either but it was interesting to listen to.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Yeah its all about the SE Antrim UDA and the impact the customs checks are having on their drugs trade. Everything else is just a distraction - this is why they are orchestrating the people onto the streets.
A perfect storm for them really. Using the non story Storey funeral and the NI protocol as cover to hit back at the coppers

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Will marching season go on during covid?
All bets are off now because of the lack of prosecutions/fines for the Storey funeral so basically people believe they can all go out on mass without fear of legal action. The marches will almost certainly happen now and there will be thousands on the streets unfortunately.

Grib

Id rather get hit but a water cannon that a rubber bullet, death from water cannon is rare unless the water is laced with a toxin. Water canon is often deployedhere when it is more than one side rioting.
What are you talking about?

Where's the debate about rather being hit with a baton round or a water cannon

Why try to paint water cannon as a super-soaker 500 and that it's used every weekend

lsd made a point they wouldn't move in with force until nationalists stepped it up a bit, which is what happened, I don't see where discharging a handful of baton rounds vs indescriment, mass crowd control measures comes into it

It's the perception of it all, how is that going to help calm things down, likely to encourage more of this bs

I'm not even against the force, all these scum bags should get it, but this doesn't really help

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
What are you talking about?

Where's the debate about rather being hit with a baton round or a water cannon

Why try to paint water cannon as a super-soaker 500 and that it's used every weekend

lsd made a point they wouldn't move in with force until nationalists stepped it up a bit, which is what happened, I don't see where discharging a handful of baton rounds vs indescriment, mass crowd control measures comes into it

It's the perception of it all, how is that going to help calm things down, likely to encourage more of this bs

I'm not even against the force, all these scum bags should get it, but this doesn't really help
My point is the use of force was used before nationalist got involved, and where did I call a water canon a water pistol? "discharging a handful of baton rounds" now who is playing what down? If were gonna talk about things sensibly lets keep the conversation sensible.

How do you propose the police deal with the situation? Remembering one of NIs leaders is calling for the CCs head.

Last edited:

Grib

My point is the use of force was used before nationalist got involved, and where did I call a water canon a water pistol? "discharging a handful of baton rounds" now who is playing what down? If were gonna talk about things sensibly lets keep the conversation sensible.

How do you propose the police deal with the situation? Remembering one of NIs leaders is calling for the CCs head.
It's the picture you paint, trying to pass it off as something that's used all the time and saying sure it's not as bad as this, like it's trivial

Baton rounds can be targeted. The thought being they are not used indiscriminately. They aren't just using them willy nilly (due to still potential force of impact and officer accountability)

Water cannons can still be dangerous and are indescriminate in nature as is charging crowds

Anyway as I said thats besides the point, it's the perception of it all. Mass crowd control vs targeted

Just look at the images going around, you don't see any from baton rounds but the pictures of crowds being hit with water cannons and multiple charges doesn't look good

You had leaders stirring the pot re the funeral and the police which didn't help now you have the images of the police using more visible force on one side while just the day before there are images of multiple police landrovers following the bus as it was hijacked, set on fire and left to free wheel down the road

Both shit moves and only lead to heightened tensions

What are the police to do, who knows but that's not a great job. I don't have the numbers of police injuries (all unacceptable) but believe it's up to 55~ this morning. It was something like 30/50 first two night?

Obviously this was far too much to begin with but they've put themselves in a shit postion by letting it get to this point one way or another

Someone else mention it being weird that you can riot here without the risk of reprieve. While not 100% true, it still holds some truth and that has contributed heavily in my opinion. It wasn't hard to see it getting to were it is now after the comments started the other week. Police should have been better prepared and acted tougher from the go. Not force as such but taking more action to round people up or the like

This is probably what they should be doing now. All the intellegence agencies and police should be all over this and rounding those involved (act rioters and those who are responsible behind the scenes up) More so the latter perhaps then it will be easier to put an end to this

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

The best thing cops can do is let them get bored and get the blow back from their own communities. But of course they won’t because they will be accused of not doing anything. Stuck in the middle

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
They should think about bringing in legislation that punishes the parents of the kids who are out in the middle of it. Fine the parents and you will soon see a difference.

Grib

They should think about bringing in legislation that punishes the parents of the kids who are out in the middle of it. Fine the parents and you will soon see a difference.
Not a bad idea in theory, not sure it'd work on the whole though. Belfast has some of the poorest or most deprived communities in the country, areas these things happen in

Would these fines ever get paid or be able to be enforced in court etc (if that's how such things work) If not given many may already been on the breadline as such would it be that much of a deterrent?

Besides kids are absolute wee shites these days, had plenty of run ins with them were I live, having 9/10 year olds threatening to put your windows in and the like, getting on like they'll fight you :lol: Out throwing stones at cars on the main road and shit

Place is a disgrace, regeneration and better education is what's needed

acnumber9

Not a bad idea in theory, not sure it'd work on the whole though. Belfast has some of the poorest or most deprived communities in the country, areas these things happen in

Would these fines ever get paid or be able to be enforced in court etc (if that's how such things work) If not given many may already been on the breadline as such would it be that much of a deterrent?

Besides kids are absolute wee shites these days, had plenty of run ins with them were I live, having 9/10 year olds threatening to put your windows in and the like, getting on like they'll fight you :lol: Out throwing stones at cars on the main road and shit

Any fines would be taken out of their dole money at £1 a week. That will show them. You’re right though. Under educated kids being born into under educated families in areas where not working is seen as the ultimate goal just leads to this kind of behaviour.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
It's the picture you paint, trying to pass it off as something that's used all the time and saying sure it's not as bad as this, like it's trivial

Baton rounds can be targeted. The thought being they are not used indiscriminately. They aren't just using them willy nilly (due to still potential force of impact and officer accountability)

Water cannons can still be dangerous and are indescriminate in nature as is charging crowds

Anyway as I said thats besides the point, it's the perception of it all. Mass crowd control vs targeted

Just look at the images going around, you don't see any from baton rounds but the pictures of crowds being hit with water cannons and multiple charges doesn't look good

You had leaders stirring the pot re the funeral and the police which didn't help now you have the images of the police using more visible force on one side while just the day before there are images of multiple police landrovers following the bus as it was hijacked, set on fire and left to free wheel down the road

Both shit moves and only lead to heightened tensions

What are the police to do, who knows but that's not a great job. I don't have the numbers of police injuries (all unacceptable) but believe it's up to 55~ this morning. It was something like 30/50 first two night?

Obviously this was far too much to begin with but they've put themselves in a shit postion by letting it get to this point one way or another

Someone else mention it being weird that you can riot here without the risk of reprieve. While not 100% true, it still holds some truth and that has contributed heavily in my opinion. It wasn't hard to see it getting to were it is now after the comments started the other week. Police should have been better prepared and acted tougher from the go. Not force as such but taking more action to round people up or the like

This is probably what they should be doing now. All the intellegence agencies and police should be all over this and rounding those involved (act rioters and those who are responsible behind the scenes up) More so the latter perhaps then it will be easier to put an end to this
I don't mean to belittle any form of crowd control, my point was more that the police went for stronger measures before nationalist got involved. Lets please not go down this route.

They are rounding people up, they use CCTV to do this, this isn't mass protests in one location its smaller groups running in and out of the road with the police spread across multiple areas in small streets. Its impossible to police effectively.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

How long have we been banging on about this for, the whole school sector needs torn down. Protestant Grammars and Catholic maintained schools need to be seriously looked at, unfortunately there is not much appetite for that in society.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
My old pal Smitty who is now a Green councillor has made some very good statements recently about the violence and the need for major investment in youth clubs and youth workers. I wish more people like him would get involved in local politics.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
My old pal Smitty who is now a Green councillor has made some very good statements recently about the violence and the need for major investment in youth clubs and youth workers. I wish more people like him would get involved in local politics.
Lots of good people do good work, but when you have the DUP and SF around they will get the majority of the vote, orange and green.

Grib

How long have we been banging on about this for, the whole school sector needs torn down. Protestant Grammars and Catholic maintained schools need to be seriously looked at, unfortunately there is not much appetite for that in society.
okay bear with me on this :lol:

How about 100% state boarding schools from the get go for everyone, all 100% mixed

Sure rational families get punished here but it's for the greater good. Take the other kids largely out of their bubble of inherited hatred and let them develope their own minds:wenger:

Should only take a few generations right

cyberman

Lots of good people do good work, but when you have the DUP and SF around they will get the majority of the vote, orange and green.
To be fair, the DUP does good work in actual day to day politics. When you have a problem they generally try their best to sort it for you. Our house burned down a few years ago and they tried their best when we were told there were no 4 bedrooms around the town to rent immediately. Literally hung up with whoever the feck after getting fobbed off, rang DUP and the housing crowd rang straight back with a solution.
Thats kind of the problem in NI politics funnily enough. Its very much ill sort your problem for you no matter what and it gets very pig headed when they just cant order others around.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
okay bear with me on this :lol:

How about 100% state boarding schools from the get go for everyone, all 100% mixed

Sure rational families get punished here but it's for the greater good. Take the other kids largely out of their bubble of inherited hatred and let them develope their own minds:wenger:

Should only take a few generations right
Would certainly fix it :lol:.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
To be fair, the DUP does good work in actual day to day politics. When you have a problem they generally try their best to sort it for you. Our house burned down a few years ago and they tried their best when we were told there were no 4 bedrooms around the town to rent immediately. Literally hung up with whoever the feck after getting fobbed off, rang DUP and the housing crowd rang straight back with a solution.
Thats kind of the problem in NI politics funnily enough. Its very much ill sort your problem for you no matter what and it gets very pig headed when they just cant order others around.
Yeah, I used to work in a Civil Service post where I dealt directly with all MLAs and the shit they could pull over protocol was shocking heads of departments were literally scared to say no to any request they made.

Ramshock

All bets are off now because of the lack of prosecutions/fines for the Storey funeral so basically people believe they can all go out on mass without fear of legal action. The marches will almost certainly happen now and there will be thousands on the streets unfortunately.
Talk about flogging a dead horse or man in this case

cyberman

Shit excuse tbf. They gave up Paddys day just a few weeks ago.

cyberman

That was before the decision not to take action on the funeral though. Not saying I agree with it, just telling you what the view is.
They were alwaya going to do it though. A funeral from a year ago just replaced any celebrate our culture in protest of the protocol type excuse. Thats despite the fact there actually should be parades by July with how vaccinations are going.

Ramshock

That's the view now though - as soon as the PPS didn't prosecute that was the end of any meaningful covid restrictions being enforced.
Thats the view from one side Balaks lad. Im still waiting for Sammy Wilson to apologise for taking his mask off in a plane twice and a train once. Not to mention a loyalist funeral and a Rangers supporter get together after they won the league.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Thats the view from one side Balaks lad. Im still waiting for Sammy Wilson to apologise for taking his mask off in a plane twice and a train once. Not to mention a loyalist funeral and a Rangers supporter get together after they won the league.
Oh I totally agree with all that also.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
They were alwaya going to do it though. A funeral from a year ago just replaced any celebrate our culture in protest of the protocol type excuse. Thats despite the fact there actually should be parades by July with how vaccinations are going.
Probably but it's given them the excuse they need to do it with 'justification'