Northern Ireland Thread

poleglass red

Nolan has big Jim on again, for about the 10,000th time. I think Poots will get the job and god help us all when he does - mind you... can he be any worse than Arlene?
Oul Edwin a climate change denier, an evoultion denier and homophobe.

lsd

The Oracle
Nolan has big Jim on again, for about the 10,000th time. I think Poots will get the job and god help us all when he does - mind you... can he be any worse than Arlene?

Jeffrey Donaldson will get it in my opinion

Lastwolf

Yep. A more hardline leader isn’t going to help them and is just accelerating their decline. People should be happy.
I'd be real careful about being happy about the "death" of the DUP as it won't happen in a vacuum. Whilst I'd be overjoyed about a resurgant UUP and growing Alliance party, it'll probablly come with a much stronger TUV or a massive further radicalisation of the DUP and a dissolving of the TUV. There will be much thrashing of limbs and nawing of teeth on their way out.

acnumber9

I'd be real careful about being happy about the "death" of the DUP as it won't happen in a vacuum. Whilst I'd be overjoyed about a resurgant UUP and growing Alliance party, it'll probablly come with a much stronger TUV or a massive further radicalisation of the DUP and a dissolving of the TUV. There will be much thrashing of limbs and nawing of teeth on their way out.
But a more radical leader drives moderates away from DUP and more likely towards the Alliance. It’s not like there’s loads of voter base to be gained by being even more cnuty. Don’t get me wrong, it would be preferable if the DUP could stop being dicks and provide a suitable party for moderate Unionists to vote for, but that’s not going to happen.

Deery

Dreary
So Arlene has handed in her resignation, as bad as I thought she was I fear for what’s to come next.

Deery

Dreary

Quite a good speech to end her tenure, what stuck me as weird was how buddy-buddy she was with MON last week at the leisure centre then hands in her resignation this week.

Foxbatt

She was forced to resign because she abstained on a vote to ban the gay conversion therapy.
I thought it was The Catholics who were anti gay marriage, anti abortion and anti divorce? Seems the Republic and NI have a lot more in common in religious and social issues and the only thing that divides them is the NI politicians don't want to lose power?

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
She was forced to resign because she abstained on a vote to ban the gay conversion therapy.
I thought it was The Catholics who were anti gay marriage, anti abortion and anti divorce? Seems the Republic and NI have a lot more in common in religious and social issues and the only thing that divides them is the NI politicians don't want to lose power?
Tell me you're trolling

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
WTF, she resigned because she was incompetent.

Rooney24

Lots of fawning over Arlene in certain sections of the media. I guess they are just being polite as usually happens when things like this occur.

But lets be real here, she will go down as one of the most useless politicians in the history of NI. Whether think of yourself as a nationalist, republican, unionist, loyalist, or other she didnt do anything for any of those groups or anyone.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Lots of fawning over Arlene in certain sections of the media. I guess they are just being polite as usually happens when things like this occur.

But lets be real here, she will go down as one of the most useless politicians in the history of NI. Whether think of yourself as a nationalist, republican, unionist, loyalist, or other she didnt do anything for any of those groups or anyone.
Mostly due to her own personal circumstances with her father.

Foxbatt

Tell me you're trolling
No I am not. It was a question I asked. I just read another article in The Guardian about it. So I am not very familiar about the NI politics on a personal level.
The other question is, are the young people that much homophobic and anti abortion still? Why is this a huge issue in NI, while it's not an issue in England, Wales and Scotland?

Deery

Dreary
I’ve got a funny feeling it will be Paisley you know, if not him maybe Gavin Robinson seems a bit more voter friendly.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I’ve got a funny feeling it will be Paisley you know, if not him maybe Gavin Robinson seems a bit more voter friendly.
I agree with you, despite his list of money swindling, his smarm and smug grin I think he could unite the DUP more than the rest. Robinson I think its too soon.

Green_Red

"My view on the earth is that it's a young earth. My view is 4000 BC."
Edwin Poots, Culture Minister 2007

poleglass red

another attack at the home of a member of the police, this one seemingly from loyalists. Like the dissidents on the republican side, drugs dealers hiding behind the veil of a so called army. No political endgame for any of these groups just continuance of their drug dealing empires. Neither has mainstream support but unfortunately when there's a market for drugs, it's hard to see how these groups will dissipate.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-56929704