Norwich City vs. Manchester United

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
De Laet rates Norwich

You spent the first four months of this season with Sunday’s opponents. How do you look back now on your time at Carrow Road?
I learned a lot, even though I didn’t play every game. I think I played about six or seven games. But just training with them, it was something different for me. I learned other tactics, I learned how another manager wants it to be. I played six games in the Premier League and that was aim when I went to Norwich, to play as many games as I could. Obviously I got injured and couldn’t play as many games as I wanted to. But I think it helped me, just training with Norwich and playing a few games in the Premier League, it helped me for my future development.

So what was the highlight of your seven games?
It was probably when I scored against Stoke! If there was one team I wanted to score against, it was definitely Stoke. So I got that and we should have won that game but we conceded in the 93rd or 94th minute and that was really disappointing. So scoring [was a highlight] and also playing against Chelsea. You want to play against the big teams and I did that.

How did Norwich manager Paul Lambert, another Scot, compare to Sir Alex?
Obviously here the boss comes outside to watch training sessions and have a laugh. At the smaller teams, you still see the gaffer coming out in daily training sessions. Paul Lambert was like that. He came into the dressing room and the physio room to have some banter with the lads, he did his work in the gym with the lads as well. So he was really involved with what the players were doing. Everybody knew what we were allowed and weren’t allowed to do. He set his standards out early in the season and told us what we had to do to hit the heights that he wanted them to hit. They’re doing that at the moment.

Norwich’s first target was to stay in the top flight and currently they're 14 points clear of relegation. They have done very well, haven’t they?
Yes, they have done. One of the things about them is there are no big, big players at Norwich. They know where they have come from, some of them came from League One all the way up to the Premier League with Norwich and with the same manager. So they know what the manager expects of them now as well. They just play the system they got promoted with from League One to the Championship and from the Championship to the Premier League. They know the system, it’s hard to play against, and they’ve just kept going. That’s just the winning mentality they have at the moment.

You couldn't play for Norwich at Old Trafford but what did you make of their performance – did they exceed expectations that day?
I think every team that comes to Old Trafford plays the game of their year. Everybody wants to beat United and I think that was the same with Norwich. They had their chances to go 1-0 up but in the end United’s experience and quality came out on top. Old Trafford is a big pitch and if you’ve got to run around after the ball for 90 minutes you’ll be very tired at the end. That’s why United score many goals at the end of the game because they keep the ball for 90 minutes and I think it was the same against Norwich. They kept the ball and quality came out on top.

Norwich had one great chance to score – will Anthony Pilkington be haunted by that miss even now?
Well, yes, but Pilkington is a good player and he has scored many goals now for Norwich in the Premier League. Obviously, you want to score against United at Old Trafford but you can’t let that do anything with your mind because if that follows you around, you’ll go one on one with the goalkeeper and think, ‘what do I have to do now?’ But he’s not that kind of player. He puts that out of his head and he goes on again.

You played with the Norwich players, you trained with them day in, day out. Has Sir Alex been pumping you for information ahead of Sunday’s game?
I think the people upstairs at Carrington [the coaches and analysts] look at the games and do their job, so they’ll have enough on Norwich to know what to do to win there on Sunday.

Norwich have only lost three league games at home this season, the same number that Chelsea have lost at Stamford Bridge. Why is Carrow Road a tough ground to visit?
Well, for a start, it’s far away – it’s four hours from Manchester by road, although United will fly to Norwich. Also, because there’s only one team in the neighbourhood, all the support goes to Norwich. Whereas in the Midlands there are seven or eight teams, there is only one over there so everybody supports them and they get behind the team really well.

manutd.com

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Apparently the last four matches between the clubs have ended in a 2-0 scoreline.

Useless nugget #1
Almost...

Sat 1 Oct 2011 Manchester United 2 - 0 Norwich City
Sat 9 Apr 2005 Norwich City 2 - 0 Manchester United
Sat 21 Aug 2004 Manchester United 2 - 1 Norwich City
Wed 22 Feb 1995 Norwich City 0 - 2 Manchester United

forevrared

I dreamt last night that we won 6-5 after surrendering a 3-0 lead to go down 4-3. Tom Thorpe, Kenji Gorre and my favorite NFL player scored from then to make it 6-4 and they made it 6-5 on the last kick of the game. You heard it here first.

buckooo1978

Is Anderson fit?

I think we should play 3 in midfield - carrick/scholes/giggs for me

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
If Rooney doesn't make it, and since Young's form isn't great, I think Giggs will end up playing 'in the hole' where Rooney normally plays. I would have suggested giving Cleverley a shot there, and of course Park can play there quite well too.

Anderson is supposed to be back, I'd expect a sub appearance.

Aint gota Kalou

---------De Gea
Rafael---Evans--Ferdinand--Evra
-------Scholes---Carrick
Nani---------Giggs------Young
-----------Welbeck

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Starting XI with Rooney:

Bench: Amos, Rafael, Scholes, Giggs, Park, Berbatov, Chicharito
Not in the squad: Anderson, Fabio, Pogba, Fryers, W.Keane
Out: Vidic, Valencia, Fletcher, Cleverley, Owen, Lindegaard

Starting XI without Rooney:

Bench: Amos, Rafael, Anderson, Scholes, Park, Berbatov, Chicharito
Not in the squad: Fabio, Pogba, Fryers, W.Keane
Out: Rooney, Vidic, Valencia, Fletcher, Cleverley, Owen, Lindegaard

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Do we know if Rooney has trained this week at all?

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
No Jones in midfield. Carrick and Giggs or Carrick and Scholes please
If Rooney doesn't make it we could see 3 in the middle.

Carrick - Jones
---- Giggs

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
---------- De Gea -----------
Rafael -- Evans -- Rio -- Evra
------- Carrick -- Giggs ------
Nani------------------- Young
-------------- -- Rooney ----
------- Welbeck -------------

Hernandez could be a good option in starting XI too, but it's probably better to have him as a sub. They really gave us hard time at Old Trafford, but I'm expecting better game from us tomorrow, and a win, 2-0 for us.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Apparently the last four matches between the clubs have ended in a 2-0 scoreline.

Useless nugget #1
That's actually incorrect.
Almost...

Sat 1 Oct 2011 Manchester United 2 - 0 Norwich City
Sat 9 Apr 2005 Norwich City 2 - 0 Manchester United
Sat 21 Aug 2004 Manchester United 2 - 1 Norwich City
Wed 22 Feb 1995 Norwich City 0 - 2 Manchester United
The last four matches between the clubs at Carrow Road have ended in a 2-0 scorline.........

1993-1994 (PL): 0-2
1993-1994 (FA-Cup): 0-2
1994-1995 (PL): 0-2
2004-2005 (PL): 2-0

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I have to admit when I heard Rooney was out against Ajax in the 2nd leg with a virus I thought SAF was probably just using that as an excuse for resting him after saying he'd field his strongest team.

prateik

Are we not on telly anywhere? and since when has it been Andow?
Nope, and prateik's the only one on the site to call him Andow I think.

And as for Ando there's no way I can see him starting against Norwich. If he plays it'll most likely be a bench appearance.
I didnt make it up. The squad called him Andow on some mutv video I saw.. quick google search - D_DeGea : Andow! Crazy men http://yfrog.com/h2f2jetj | Twicsy, the Twitter Pics Engine De Gea calls him Andow too

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Is either this game or the Spurs-Arsenal on TV in the States?

Edit: Just checked and the Spurs-Arsenal game is on FSC.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
I thought it was a sore throat?
Yeah it was a throat infection or something like that, probably got it after going down on an amsterdam stripper.