Not sacking managers early enough

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
I am actually very keen to understand where this trend started? I assume the LMA managed to convince all the owners and chairmen/women that huge payouts was a good thing for all concerned, but it really does seem like a reward for failure.
This is due to managers contractual relationship with their clubs.

When you “buy” a player, you’re not actually buying them (owning human beings is thankfully frowned upon nowadays.) You’re actually paying the club to transfer their registration to to your club. A player can only be registered to play for one club at time and it is this exclusive registration that is being bought and sold.

Whereas managers are not registered to their clubs. Managers sign fixed term contracts so if another club wants to sign them they must compensate their current employers for breach of contract. In the absence of gross misconduct, sacking a manager is also breach of contract. Therefore the manager must be compensated. This isn’t new. It probably makes the news more recently as managers are paid much more than they used to be so their payoffs can now be jaw-dropping amounts.

Source - The Price of Football Podcast

It’s an art. When to sack or when to give time.

Moyes: Should have never been appointed but November it was obvious he was not progressing and should have been sacked.

LVG: Should have been given money & 1 extra season, and told “make the football as horny as your pressers” .

Mourinho: Should have either been backed the summer he finished 2nd or parted ways due to footballing differences. Board stuck the knife but didn’t twist.

Ole: Should never have been made permanent manager. Can think of 5-6 occasions where he should have been sacked due to results. Should have been asked to step down last summer, compensation paid, anyone with a football brain could see us finishing second was like Zippy Chippy winning a race, just luck and pretty much every other horse losing its rider or dying during the race.

mav_9me

I’m onboard with replacing ole but this is total utter bollox

I was watching the match last night and just thinking that he’d do well in Italy

he will get a decent job after United
His reputation is that he is lucky he has these players, among media, among fans... Pretty much everyone. Don't see how he'll get a job in the big 5 leagues. Ole that is.

I’m onboard with replacing ole but this is total utter bollox

I was watching the match last night and just thinking that he’d do well in Italy

he will get a decent job after United
What director in his/her right mind will look at the disorganised crap Ole sent out and think I’ll hire that guy that’s the result of him being at a club for 3 years and being one of highest spending managers in world football. He’ll do even better in a league where tactics and organisation are even more imperative

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
What director in his/her right mind will look at the disorganised crap Ole sent out and think I’ll hire that guy that’s the result of him being at a club for 3 years and being one of highest spending managers in world football. He’ll do even better in a league where tactics and organisation are even more imperative
55% win rate at United so far disagrees with you.
He will get a job. If he wants one after United

Scottynaldinho

The negativity in the main forum is unbearable. I usually enjoy the pre match discussion in the match day threads but this supposed "banter" is turning me away every time I open the match day thread these days.

Can't believe that half of the caf can openly admit the they'll be happy if we lose yet somehow they're privileged to continue on this forum. Absolutely disgusting.

It's not like I want Ole to continue at all costs. I want him to somehow succeed and turn this around, whether he can is another matter. Stranger things have happened.

He's a club legend and him succeeding (and winning) will be a different feeling than any other short term manager winning a cup and leaving the next year.

A 55% win rate will appeal to many.
55% win rate at United so far disagrees with you.
He will get a job. If he wants one after United
Interesting to see how directors think. Simon Jordon posted this the other day.

Cost per points
solskjaer £1.4m
Guardiola £667k
Conte £412k
Klopp £243k

Net spend per season

Solskjaer £147m
Guardiola £108m
Conte £46m
Klopp £28m

Just to add my own bit, ole is the only one constantly in a crisis, whose style of play is still to be discovered, and hasn’t won anything.

golden_blunder

Staff
Interesting to see how directors think. Simon Jordon posted this the other day.

Cost per points
solskjaer £1.4m
Guardiola £667k
Conte £412k
Klopp £243k

Net spend per season

Solskjaer £147m
Guardiola £108m
Conte £46m
Klopp £28m

Just to add my own bit, ole is the only one constantly in a crisis, whose style of play is still to be discovered, and hasn’t won anything.
It’s alright putting those up but for context, Ole doesn’t set the prices or agree with the other parties, that’s the club.
Secondly we all know that if we go for a player and Liverpool or any other club go for a player there are two different prices, and ours is usually about 20m added on. Again how is that attributed to Ole? It is again down to the club to sort that out.

im all for replacing Ole to get us to the next level but let’s have a bit of sense, logic and context. Stop attributing blame to him where others should be getting the flack.

Simon Jordan should try practicing that, but I guess that won’t bring listeners to his radio show

golden_blunder

Staff
Of course he will get a job. But not at a top club. I mean he got The Cardiff gig too.
I’m not saying he will get a top job but he will get PL offers for sure which is my point. People here saying he won’t get a PL job. Nonsense. A good win rate, at Manchester Utd for 3 years say otherwise. Am I the only person that thinks that?

Ole doesn’t set the prices or agree with the other parties, that’s the club.
He decides the targets. If he decides someone like Sancho is the one who will change everything then the boats are dammed if they don’t eg when they didn’t pay £120m for him and people said ole was let down and damned if they do eg they paid £75m for the final piece of puzzle who now the manager decides can’t fit into his plan.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It was obvious where we were heading after that Young Boys debacle.