Odds or Evens: Odds Edition 2023/24 | The winner(s) have been announced.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
See last year's Odds Edition for a glimpse of how the competition went.

Here are new changes for this year's competition:
  • Picks to be sent via private message rather than posted in thread.
  • One allowed substitute in case of injury. If one of your eight players is injured, you can submit the pick for substitute at any time and that player replaces the injured one for the remainder of the competition. If InjuredPlayer scores 5 goals prior to be injured and ReplacementPlayer scores 6 goals for the remainder of the duration of the competition, you'll get 11 points total.
Simply:
  • Pick eight Premier League players with odd numbers on their jerseys - one pick per Premier League side. So you could have, say Jadon Sancho for Manchester United (#25 shirt) but you can't have Anthony Martial too (#9).
  • You can't choose the same shirt number twice - so if you pick Anthony Martial (#9), you can't have Gabriel Jesus (#9) too.
  • You gain one point for each Premier League goal your players score (nothing for assists).
  • The following players are banned:
    • Mo Salah
    • Harry Kane
    • Erling Haaland
  • This runs until Christmas. Person with most points wins and then in the new year there will be a new competition with even numbers only.
  • Deadline for submitting your list of eight odd-numbered players is Friday 11th August 8:00pm and you must send your list of eight to me via private message. After the deadline, everyone's picks will be revealed. This list can't be changed afterwards and you have to take the rough with the smooth, but if one of your players gets injured you can change them out.
  • If there are 20+ entries, the winner will get a tagline and an award.
If one of your players gets injured, you can sub them out (one time only).
If your player changes club to one that another of your picks is at, that player will be ineligible with no replacements.
If your player changes shirt number to an even one, that player will be ineligible with no replacements.

Spreadsheet of picks

Last edited:

Damien

Staff
Hey everyone. Been a fun couple of weeks chasing everyone up, sorting out the Chelsea numbers and Maddison situation. Hope you're all happy. Been agreed that if Maddison does change to #10, which is likely, those who've picked him can pick alternatives and most have already sent the alternative choice to me.

One entrant did select both Haaland and Salah. I messaged back to them saying they couldn't be picked as they're banned, but they've not been on to change them so they'll only have six players. A couple of people did pick Ivan Toney despite him being banned from playing football until next year and this competition ends at Christmas. Tough luck in those cases.

I'll post all picks shortly.

Damien

Staff
Spreadsheet of all picks here (let me know if any data is wrong, there was a lot of PM activity today so might have missed something)

Out of 55 picks, only two are identical - @RonaldoVII and @Ted1985, though this could increase if Maddison changes to #10

# of PicksPlayerShirt #Team
41Watkins11Aston Villa
37Jackson15Chelsea
34Saka7Arsenal
27Nunez9Liverpool
24Mbeumo19Brentford
23De Bruyne17Manchester City
21Antony21Manchester United
19Foden47Manchester City
17Maddison71Tottenham Hotspur
17Wilson9Newcastle United
15Groß13Brighton & Hove Albion
12Son7Tottenham Hotspur
11Alvarez19Manchester City
10Barnes15Newcastle United
10Garnacho49Manchester United
10Sancho25Manchester United
9Højlund17Manchester United
9Kulusevski21Tottenham Hotspur
9Martinelli11Arsenal
8Guimaraes39Newcastle United
7Havertz29Arsenal
6Diaz7Liverpool
6Elanga21Nottingham Forest
5Diaby19Aston Villa
4Mitrovic9Fulham
4Trossard19Arsenal
3Amdouni25Burnley
3Bailey31Aston Villa
3Gallagher23Chelsea
3Mount7Manchester United
3Pedro9Brighton and Hove Albion
2Billing29Bournemouth
2Elliott19Liverpool
2Iwobi17Everton
2Lewis-Potter23Brentford
2Richarlison9Tottenham Hotspur
2Toney17Brentford
1Awoniyi9Nottingham Forest
1Coutinho23Aston Villa
1Dunk5Brighton & Hove Albion
1F.Silva29Wolverhampton Wanderers
1Gray11Everton
1Gueye27Everton
1Kluivert19Bournemouth
1Maupay13Everton
1Mubama45West Ham United
1Murphy23Newcastle United
1Nakamba13Luton Town
1Nunes27Wolverhampton Wanderers
1Obafemi45Burnley
1Outtara11Bournemouth
1Ramsey41Aston Villa
1Schlupp15Crystal Palace

Last edited:

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
How are 17 people picking Maddison when he has a placeholder squad number?

Is there an obvious number he'll likely be moved to (like Hojlund)?

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Surprised no-one picked the same as me. I simply went by sharps odds

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
How are 17 people picking Maddison when he has a placeholder squad number?

Is there an obvious number he'll likely be moved to (like Hojlund)?
Hm, didn't think to check Hojlunds number at Bergamo :nervous:

Maddison has been wearing the #71 in friendlies, with Kane heading out I would assume that he will take his #10 shirt, as he has been wearing at Leicester.

paulscholes18

Bollocks was waiting to Chelsea to release their shirt numbers, then completely forgot about it.

AnotherLondonManc

How bad is the De Bruyne injury? Since it's week 1, can we shuffle things around or can we only pick a straight swap?

Bogga

@Damien if I look at the spreadsheet my picks are wrong. I swapped Maddison ahead of the deadline... this is my team I sent to you

7 - Bukayo Saka - Arsenal
9 - Callum Wilson - Newcastle
11 - Ollie Watkins - Aston Villa
13 - Pascal Gross - Brighton
15 - Nicholas Jackson - Chelsea
17 - Rasmus Höylund - Man Utd
19 - Bryan Mbeumo - Brentford
47 - Phil Foden - Man City

Damien

Staff
How bad is the De Bruyne injury? Since it's week 1, can we shuffle things around or can we only pick a straight swap?
You can sub him out for another player of your choice as long as it fits the rules - unique number and club (City player is still fine given they directly replace KDB)

@Damien if I look at the spreadsheet my picks are wrong. I swapped Maddison ahead of the deadline... this is my team I sent to you

7 - Bukayo Saka - Arsenal
9 - Callum Wilson - Newcastle
11 - Ollie Watkins - Aston Villa
13 - Pascal Gross - Brighton
15 - Nicholas Jackson - Chelsea
17 - Rasmus Höylund - Man Utd
19 - Bryan Mbeumo - Brentford
47 - Phil Foden - Man City
I thought that was the team you was going with if Maddison did change to 10 (you sent it after I sent the message to everyone to submit alternative picks if Maddison changed), didn't realise you were going with it regardless. Will fix now.

Damien

Staff
In other news:
  • RedPed has understandably withdrawn from the contest for having six eligible picks.
  • Ted1985 has decided to swap De Bruyne out for Foden - that is their injury sub for the contest used. If anyone else wishes to swap De Bruyne out for another player, let me know but remember if you do you have no more injury subs for the rest of the contest.

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I assume subs will only score for you from the next matchday? So assuming Foden had scored yesterday, Ted1985 would not get the point, correct? Otherwise there is the chance for someone picking up an injured player towards the end of the contest and they will just pick someone that has already scored a boatload of goals.

Damien

Staff
I assume subs will only score for you from the next matchday? So assuming Foden had scored yesterday, Ted1985 would not get the point, correct? Otherwise there is the chance for someone picking up an injured player towards the end of the contest and they will just pick someone that has already scored a boatload of goals.
Correct. Says in the OP too:

• One allowed substitute in case of injury. If one of your eight players is injured, you can submit the pick for substitute at any time and that player replaces the injured one for the remainder of the competition. If InjuredPlayer scores 5 goals prior to be injured and ReplacementPlayer scores 6 goals for the remainder of the duration of the competition, you'll get 11 points total.

Bogga

You can sub him out for another player of your choice as long as it fits the rules - unique number and club (City player is still fine given they directly replace KDB)

I thought that was the team you was going with if Maddison did change to 10 (you sent it after I sent the message to everyone to submit alternative picks if Maddison changed), didn't realise you were going with it regardless. Will fix now.
Ohh ok, misunderstanding... I went with that pick because Maddison getting #10 felt like quite certain...

DarnleyDevil7

Hi everyone

I had misunderstood and pre selected my substitute/reserve.

Didn't realise I could replace a player with someone from the same team or same number.

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
So Maddison has indeed taken over the #10 shirt, I assume the prepicked alternatives are going into effect. Are you just going to put that into the spredsheet @Damien?

Damien

Staff
So Maddison has indeed taken over the #10 shirt, I assume the prepicked alternatives are going into effect. Are you just going to put that into the spredsheet @Damien?
Yeah. Mostly sorted, I'll post the replacements when it is all done. For now I've got the spreadsheet hidden while I amend it to include subbed players in a different column so we can see at a glance who has used their sub and who hasn't. Another thing to add: If a player gets injured in game and someone uses their sub before the matchday is over and the sub they choose is someone who hasn't played yet that matchday, if they score it won't be counted - only stats after that matchday will be counted. If a player gets injured before the games start and someone uses their sub, then their goals that matchday will be counted.
  • @P-Nut has decided to swap De Bruyne out for Foden - that is their injury sub for the contest used.

Damien

Staff
  • @AnotherLondonManc has decided to swap De Bruyne out for Foden - that is their injury sub for the contest used.
  • @Stevondo8 has decided to swap De Bruyne out for Foden - that is their injury sub for the contest used.
Table for the weekends games is pretty much done, just waiting on one person who hasn't been on the caf since Thursday.