Odds or Evens: Odds Edition 2023/24 | The winner(s) have been announced.

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Closing in on the end of this competition and the start of the Evens version which hopefully won't be a clusterfeck. Will make it clear that you should pick players with existing numbers and if they do get changed to an ineligible one then no replacements, just part of the gamble.

Now, what would people prefer to happen with "injury/absentee subs"? Some options:
  1. Stay as is
  2. Change it so that people submit the name at the same time as the other 8 players (maybe 2 names in case there's a number or club clash), sub can still be used on an injury/absent player at any point
  3. Change it so that people submit the name at the same time as the other 8 players (maybe 2 names in case there's a number or club clash), sub can be used on any player at any point so if someone is doing crap they can be swapped out
  4. Scrap entirely and just have the eight players. If they end up sucking tough luck.
I like the concept of subs. I think what has led to some frustration is the uncertainty when they are allowed. I would prefer option 3 since that would eliminate this uncertainty while still allowing for a little wiggle room. I also like submitting potential subs at the start of the competition because then you can't spontaneously switch to some player on a purple patch or something. I would propose that everyone submits 3 potential subs (different numbers and teams) because that guarantees that everyone on their team can be replaced.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
After all that Garnacho/Hojuland barely impacted goals wise. For the next evens don't mind if it goes back to the eight players no subs. Also suggestions for the 2 players banned from the picks as we had Salah and Haaland applying to the odds version but 2 players with even numbers banned from picking for the next one.
Maybe Jarrod Bowen and Isak banned from evens edition. Only suggestions.
With Salah and Haaland, their consistency over seasons and goal return is generally far above what other players get. I don't think there's anyone on the even side that could apply to - Bowen and Isak have about the same goals as Son, Watkins and Mbeumo who have been picked by plenty. Guess the big issue is those two have "non-standard" numbers so likely to be picked by a lot of people anyway but we had at least one player who was picked by 42+ contestants this time around so I dunno...

Also to add only to keep it simple. With FA Cup in January there's only one full list of PL fixtures last Saturday in January. Also the January transfer window so everyone has settled squad numbers to avoid confusion start it the first Saturday in February think it's the 4th. Still be 4months or 16/17 games to play.
I like that. There would be 16 fixtures. If the subs are kept but changed slightly there should be enough for a winner, though this time around it has been neck and neck.

I like the concept of subs. I think what has led to some frustration is the uncertainty when they are allowed. I would prefer option 3 since that would eliminate this uncertainty while still allowing for a little wiggle room. I also like submitting potential subs at the start of the competition because then you can't spontaneously switch to some player on a purple patch or something. I would propose that everyone submits 3 potential subs (different numbers and teams) because that guarantees that everyone on their team can be replaced.
Yeah, 3 is the option I like most to keep interest in the competition by those not doing as well and there can be no debate about circumstances (damn you Sancho and Antony)

Bogga

Closing in on the end of this competition and the start of the Evens version which hopefully won't be a clusterfeck. Will make it clear that you should pick players with existing numbers and if they do get changed to an ineligible one then no replacements, just part of the gamble.

Now, what would people prefer to happen with "injury/absentee subs"? Some options:
  1. Stay as is
  2. Change it so that people submit the name at the same time as the other 8 players (maybe 2 names in case there's a number or club clash), sub can still be used on an injury/absent player at any point
  3. Change it so that people submit the name at the same time as the other 8 players (maybe 2 names in case there's a number or club clash), sub can be used on any player at any point so if someone is doing crap they can be swapped out
  4. Scrap entirely and just have the eight players. If they end up sucking tough luck.
I'd say you add one sub that have a different number than the other 7 players. One that could be subbed in in case of one of your player being sold/loaned out or getting a long term injury... then we'd have to agree on what we'd consider a long term injury to be

whitbyviking

1. Stay as is
For your sanity I think it should be Option 4. Also makes it easier for those (like me) who completely forget about it and miss the need for subs....

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I thought the sub was a good idea, but I'd simplify it for your own sake and say it has to be submitted at the start. Could either do it like FPL where if a player is injured the sub automatically steps in, so more people will have 8 players with a chance of scoring points each week, and gets rid of any arguments.

If all 9 players play, then the original list of 8 are the active players.

Rankings after MD16 and MD17

Damien

Staff
The following players scored during MD16 (lists on at the time in brackets):
  • 2 goals by Richarlison (2)
  • 1 goal by Philip Billing (3)
  • 1 goal by Harvey Elliott (2)
  • 1 goal by Heung-min Son (12)
Rankings after MD16

RankUsernameGoalsMD16 Scorers
1​
altodevil​
42​
Son​
=​
Clas Sified​
42​
=​
Herculean​
42​
Son​
=​
P-Nut​
42​
5​
K Stand Knut​
41​
=​
Maluco​
41​
7​
Bogga​
40​
=​
Swarm​
40​
=​
zaafi​
40​
10​
Angel001​
39​
=​
Samid​
39​
Son​
12​
Awla​
38​
=​
Big-Red​
38​
Son​
=​
Glow​
38​
15​
Fanatic 00237​
37​
=​
RonaldoVII​
37​
=​
Ted1985​
37​
18​
DanNistelrooy​
36​
=​
Gator Nate​
36​
Billing​
=​
Widow​
36​
Son​
21​
Amsterdam Devil​
35​
=​
GregM40​
35​
Son​
=​
SirAnderson​
35​
Son​
24​
IRN-BRUno​
34​
=​
PRabbit​
34​
=​
Wilt​
34​
27​
AnotherLondonManc​
33​
Richarlison​
=​
antohan​
33​
=​
Scriblerus​
33​
Billing​
=​
Sky Blue Red​
33​
Son​
=​
V.O.​
33​
32​
kaku06​
32​
Son​
=​
Paul the Wolf​
32​
=​
RiqCantona​
32​
35​
DarnleyDevil7​
31​
=​
whitbyviking​
31​
Son​
37​
brian017​
30​
Elliott​
=​
Markolan​
30​
39​
DJ_21​
29​
40​
Annihilate Now!​
28​
Billing​
=​
Jeffchin​
28​
=​
Red in STL​
28​
Elliott​
43​
.Phil1968​
27​
44​
Stevondo8​
26​
45​
sallycinnamin​
25​
46​
ScholesyTheWise​
24​
=​
Svartzonker​
24​
48​
awop​
22​
Richarlison​
=​
Lemoor​
22​
=​
OleTheGreat​
22​
Son​
51​
Melville Red​
21​
Son​
52​
Puskas_007​
19​
53​
Wing Attack Plan R​
15​
54​
Alvaro Maestre​
13​

The following players scored during MD17 (lists on at the time in brackets):
  • 2 goal by Kai Havertz (7)
  • 1 goal by Nicolas Jackson (37)
  • 1 goal by Dejan Kulusevski (17)
  • 1 goal by Keane Lewis-Potter (2)
  • 1 goal by Richarlison (2)
  • 1 goal by Ollie Watkis (42)
Rankings after MD17

RankUsernameGoalsMD17 Scorers
1​
altodevil​
45​
Havertz, Jackson, Watkins​
=​
Herculean​
45​
=​
P-Nut​
45​
Jackson, Kulusevski, Watkins​
4​
Clas Sified​
44​
Jackson, Watkins​
=​
K Stand Knut​
44​
=​
Maluco​
44​
=​
Swarm​
44​
Havertz, Jackson, Watkins, KulusevskiSub6​
8​
Angel001​
42​
=​
Bogga​
42​
Jackson, Watkins​
=​
zaafi​
42​
Jackson, Watkins​
11​
Awla​
41​
=​
Samid​
41​
Jackson, Watkins​
13​
Big-Red​
40​
Jackson, Watkins​
=​
Glow​
40​
Jackson, Watkins​
15​
Fanatic 00237​
39​
Jackson, Watkins​
=​
RonaldoVII​
39​
Jackson, Watkins​
=​
Ted1985​
39​
Jackson, Watkins​
=​
Widow​
39​
19​
DanNistelrooy​
38​
Jackson, Watkins​
20​
Amsterdam Devil​
37​
Jackson, Watkins​
=​
Gator Nate​
37​
Watkins​
=​
SirAnderson​
37​
Havertz, Watkins​
=​
Wilt​
37​
24​
AnotherLondonManc​
36​
Jackson, Richarlison, Watkins​
=​
IRN-BRUno​
36​
Jackson, Watkins​
=​
PRabbit​
36​
Jackson, Watkins​
27​
antohan​
35​
Jackson, Watkins​
=​
GregM40​
35​
=​
Paul the Wolf​
35​
=​
Scriblerus​
35​
Jackson, Watkins​
=​
V.O.​
35​
Watkins, KulusevskiSub7​
32​
DarnleyDevil7​
34​
=​
Sky Blue Red​
34​
Watkins​
=​
whitbyviking​
34​
Havertz, Lewis-Potter, Watkins​
35​
kaku06​
33​
Jackson​
=​
Markolan​
33​
=​
RiqCantona​
33​
Watkins​
38​
brian017​
32​
Jackson, Watkins​
39​
.Phil1968​
30​
=​
Annihilate Now!​
30​
Kulusevski, Watkins​
=​
DJ_21​
30​
Watkins​
=​
Jeffchin​
30​
Kulusevski, Watkins​
43​
Red in STL​
29​
Watkins​
44​
Stevondo8​
28​
Jackson, Kulusevski​
45​
sallycinnamin​
27​
Kulusevski, JacksonSub5​
46​
ScholesyTheWise​
26​
Kulusevski, Lewis-Potter​
47​
Svartzonker​
25​
Jackson​
48​
awop​
24​
Jackson, Richarlison​
=​
Lemoor​
24​
Jackson, Kulusevski​
50​
OleTheGreat​
22​
51​
Melville Red​
21​
52​
Puskas_007​
20​
Watkins​
53​
Wing Attack Plan R​
15​
54​
Alvaro Maestre​
13​

Damien

Staff
Last round of fixtures coming up - pretty likely there's going to be a tie at the top. Thank you all for playing through this mess and for the suggestions for the Evens comp.

sallycinnamin

Last round of fixtures coming up - pretty likely there's going to be a tie at the top. Thank you all for playing through this mess and for the suggestions for the Evens comp.
Thank you @Damien for your perseverance and staying with it till the end. Hopefully Evens comp will be easier to bear. Thanks again.

Reactions: Damien

Damien

Staff
The following players scored during MD18 (lists on at the time in brackets):
  • 1 goal by Anthony Elanga (6)
  • 1 goal by Richarlison (2)
  • 1 goal by Heung-min Son (12)
Rankings after MD18

RankUsernameGoalsMD18 Scorers
1​
altodevil​
46​
Son​
=​
Herculean​
46​
Son​
3​
P-Nut​
45​
4​
Clas Sified​
44​
=​
K Stand Knut​
44​
=​
Maluco​
44​
=​
Swarm​
44​
8​
Angel001​
42​
=​
Big-Red​
42​
Elanga, Son​
=​
Bogga​
42​
=​
Samid​
42​
Son​
=​
zaafi​
42​
13​
Awla​
41​
14​
Fanatic 00237​
40​
Elanga​
=​
Glow​
40​
=​
Widow​
40​
Son​
17​
RonaldoVII​
39​
=​
Ted1985​
39​
19​
DanNistelrooy​
38​
=​
SirAnderson​
38​
Son​
21​
Amsterdam Devil​
37​
=​
AnotherLondonManc​
37​
Richarlison​
=​
Gator Nate​
37​
=​
PRabbit​
37​
Elanga​
=​
Wilt​
37​
26​
GregM40​
36​
Son​
=​
IRN-BRUno​
36​
=​
Sky Blue Red​
36​
Elanga, Son​
29​
antohan​
35​
=​
Paul the Wolf​
35​
=​
Scriblerus​
35​
=​
V.O.​
35​
=​
whitbyviking​
35​
Son​
34​
DarnleyDevil7​
34​
=​
kaku06​
34​
Son​
36​
Markolan​
33​
=​
RiqCantona​
33​
38​
brian017​
32​
39​
.Phil1968​
31​
Elanga​
40​
Annihilate Now!​
30​
=​
DJ_21​
30​
=​
Jeffchin​
30​
43​
Red in STL​
29​
44​
Stevondo8​
28​
45​
sallycinnamin​
27​
46​
ScholesyTheWise​
26​
47​
awop​
25​
Richarlison​
=​
Svartzonker​
25​
49​
Lemoor​
24​
50​
Melville Red​
23​
Elanga, Son​
=​
OleTheGreat​
23​
Son​
52​
Puskas_007​
20​
53​
Wing Attack Plan R​
15​
54​
Alvaro Maestre​
13​

altodevil's picks
Antony - 0 goals
De Bruyne - 0 goals (subbed out for injury after MD01)
Havertz - 4 goals
Jackson - 7 goals
Mbeumo - 7 goals
Nunez - 4 goals
Son - 11 goals
Watkins - 9 goals
Foden - 4 goals (subbed in for De Bruyne before MD02)

Herculean's picks
Foden - 4 goals
Havertz - 4 goals
Jackson - 7 goals
Mbeumo - 7 goals
Nunez - 4 goals
Sancho - 0 goals
Son - 11 goals
Watkins - 9 goals

Impressive thing is Herculean never subbed out Sancho and still tied first. 7 of the picks were identical with Antony/Sancho being the duffers.

Their picks for transparency:

Congratulations to @altodevil and @Herculean. Thanks to everyone who took part for enduring this clusterfeck. Sign up thread for Evens version will be up at some point in the next week with deadline being for after the transfer window closes. Still not sure what to do with regards to subs but will think about it.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Really pleased to have won, thankful to Damien for running. The 7 notes remain a source of anxiety.

Herculean

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Thanks @Damien for hosting the game! I’m not sure “Impressive thing is Herculean never subbed out Sancho and still tied first” should be celebrated, but I’ll take it. Congrats to @altodevil as well. I look forward to the Evens

Damien

Staff
Okay, here is where I'm currently at on Evens game:
  • Picks sent via private message again
  • Pick eight Premier League players with an Even number on shirt, one pick per side
  • At the same time as submitting these eight players, submit a Sub option - has to be a different even number to the other eight and a different team
  • The Sub option can be activated at any time you wish, if one of your other players is injured, suspended or just not scoring and you think the sub option will do better, but this sub will only be the player you picked before the game started
  • Thread will go up on the 18th January but you can PM me your picks in advance, competition will run from MD23 - 38, so after the January transfer window shuts giving you a couple of days to change a pick if someone moves clubs on deadline day. The two rearranged fixtures (Bournemouth v Luton Town and Man City v Brentford) will not count, so every team has the same number of games
------

Not in game but potential option to help avoid tie breaks:
  • Everyone has one 'Captain card' each. Before a specific matchday you can choose to Captain any player. If that player scores you get an extra point (maybe option to double the points so if they score 2 goals you get 4 points but that might be too unbalanced). Once your card is used, it is removed from the game and for future weeks scoring is back to normal.

Thoughts on everything?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I'd say no to the captain thing - leaves too much to random chance.

Also, death to subs!

EDIT - Oh wait I read the captian thing wrong - one extra point would be fine, I thought it would doubling the total like in FPL, which would be too much

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I'd say no to the captain thing - leaves too much to random chance.

Also, death to subs!
Should be allowed 5 captains until the end imo. Most of the players were practically out of contention by October, because there was always someone above them with more or less the exact same team.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Should be allowed 5 captains until the end imo. Most of the players were practically out of contention by October, because there was always someone above them with more or less the exact same team.
Yeah I read captains totally wrong - 5 is a bit much but 2 or 3 could work.

Damien

Staff
Five would be way too much. 2 or 3 might be doable for the one extra point thing if they score that matchday but will get more thoughts on it. In general you like the idea of it?
Christ why are all the good players wearing the No20 shirt.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Five would be way too much. 2 or 3 might be doable for the one extra point thing if they score that matchday but will get more thoughts on it. In general you like the idea of it?
Yeah it adds another dimension to the game. Otherwise there is nothing you can do once your picks are locked. 3 would be nice if you can be arsed.

Damien

Staff
Yeah it adds another dimension to the game. Otherwise there is nothing you can do once your picks are locked. 3 would be nice if you can be arsed.
Three is fine. Don't think anything could be more of a clusterfeck as the Odds comp was (famous last words)

Now - should there be a limit of one captain card per player or should you be allowed to use all three on one over the 15 games? And should cap choices be posted in thread, or PM me and I post the selected ones at the start of weekend fixtures (like the LMS game, so once the first game starts (or have deadline be when the lineups are out for first game) no more caps can be used that gameweek)?

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Three is fine. Don't think anything could be more of a clusterfeck as the Odds comp was (famous last words)

Now - should there be a limit of one captain card per player or should you be allowed to use all three on one over the 15 games? And should cap choices be posted in thread, or PM me and I post the selected ones at the start of weekend fixtures (like the LMS game, so once the first game starts (or have deadline be when the lineups are out for first game) no more caps can be used that gameweek)?
One captain per week - all choices made in the thread (In fact after the initial submissions, there shouldn't really be anything that isn't in the thread).

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Now - should there be a limit of one captain card per player or should you be allowed to use all three on one over the 15 games?
Allowing repeat captains is more conducive to identical teams scoring differently, be it for tie-break or catch-up ability.

Else you may have people picking the exact same three guys on their "easiest" fixture.

And should cap choices be posted in thread, or PM me and I post the selected ones at the start of weekend fixtures (like the LMS game, so once the first game starts (or have deadline be when the lineups are out for first game) no more caps can be used that gameweek)?
In thread, simpler and less time-constrained admin for you.

Damien

Staff
So does all of this sound okay? If so, will make the thread later. If you've got any ideas on better wording it'll be appreciated as the bonus card section in particular might be a bit clunky.

-----

Here are new changes for this year's competition:
  • Picks to be sent via private message rather than posted in thread.
  • One allowed substitute that can be used at any time but must be submitted at the same time as the original eight players and must have a unique squad number and club (neither can match one of your other players). If one of your eight players is injured, suspended or just plain sucks, you can request for your substitute to replace the injured/suspended/shit one for the remainder of the competition. If OriginalPlayer scores 5 goals prior to being replaced and ReplacementPlayer scores 6 goals for the remainder of the duration of the competition, you'll get 11 points total.
  • Each person gets three bonus cards that can be used through the competition. How it works is, prior to the teams being released for the first fixture of that game week, you can nominate one of your players to be given a bonus card. If they score during that round of fixtures, you get one point added to your goal total. You must nominate in the thread itself (PM isn't allowed, but if you're a newbie with limits to posts per day I will allow PMing me and I'll post in the thread for you) and you can give multiple bonus cards to the same player but not on the same game week (so you can't use all three for one match).
Simply:
  • Pick eight Premier League players with even numbers on their jerseys - one pick per Premier League side. So you could have, say Lisandro Martinez for Manchester United (#6 shirt) but you can't have Daniel Gore too (#44).
  • You can't choose the same shirt number twice - so if you pick Lisandro Martinez (#6), you can't have Jamaal Lascelles (#6) too.
  • At the same time as the eight Premier League players, you must submit a ninth clearly labeled as a substitute and must have a unique number and club. If you want to replace one of the original eight with this substitute, you can do but must message Damien stating your desire to do so.
  • You gain one point for each Premier League goal your players score (nothing for assists).
  • You have three bonus cards. Prior to the teams being released for the first fixture of any match day, you can nominate one of your players to be given a bonus card (must be posted in thread). If they score during that match day you get one bonus point added to your score. You can use multiple bonus cards on the same player if you wish, but must be on different match days.
  • The following players are banned (yes, I know they're both odd numbers):
    • Mo Salah
    • Erling Haaland
  • This runs from 3rd February 2024 (MD23) until the end of the season. The rearranged fixtures from the first half of the season (Manchester City v Brentford and Bournemouth v Luton Town) will not count. Person with most points wins.
  • Deadline for submitting your list of eight odd-numbered players is Saturday 3rd February 12:30pm and you must send your list of eight (plus one sub) to me via private message. After the deadline, everyone's picks will be revealed. This list can't be changed afterwards and you have to take the rough with the smooth, but you can use your one sub at any point.
  • If there are 20+ entries, the winner will get a tagline and an award.
Example of how your picks should look like using Spanish players:

#6 - Koke - Atletico Madrid
#8 - Toni Kroos - Real Madrid
#10 - Mikel Oyarzabal - Real Sociedad
#12 - Mason Greenwood - Getafe
#16 - Diego Lopez - Valencia
#20 - Asier Villalibre - Athletic Club
#22 - Ilkay Gundogan - Barcelona
#24 - Portu - Girona

Substitute:
#14 - Kike Perez - Rayo Vallecano