Odion Ighalo: Manchester United player on loan until the end of the season

Ranchero

Happy enough with this as a stopgap. It's literally just to cover a bad injury to a really key player. It almost didn't matter who we got in - any half-decent striker who knows how to score a goal is fine. It would have been egregious mismanagement to just not get someone because there weren't any better targets available.
We definitely needed someone, and we have a United fan who was the top scorer in the last African Cup of Nations with five goals in six games for Nigeria and a player who was highly thought of at Watford.

It is not his fault our forward planning in terms of a striker was non-existent and our transfer dealings remain a mess.

Putting the politics aside i am getting increasingly excited at seeing him in a United shirt and surprising us.

And very excited at seeing Bruno in a United shirt at 3pm. Or more likely 425pm.

Kag

At the very least I’m willing to give him a chance. Some of the reaction has been pathetic.

I’m just regurgitating some of the better posts that have been already made, but he’s here as a stop gap, he’s a United fan and he has four months to run himself into the ground and make something of an incredible opportunity. If anything, he’s going to be motivated. And motivation is a funny, old thing in football.

At worst, he’s a bit shit and we part ways in June to the tune of £3 million. I’m willing to give him a shot.

Lee565

So this loan cost 4 million plus his wages, for that type of money we could have just kept fellaini and we would likely be in a better position at this moment in time, this rebuild is a bit of a mess.

Zen86

So this loan cost 4 million plus his wages, for that type of money we could have just kept fellaini and we would likely be in a better position at this moment in time, this rebuild is a bit of a mess.

Why is Fellaini relevant to this?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
What are you bitching about? Fellaini is a lumbering midfielder, Ighalo is a back up striker for 6 months so that Ole doesn't have to overrun Martial or Greenwood.

DBT85

Fellani wasn't a forward, in no fecking possible way could he take Martials spot on the team.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
With all due respect, you clearly don’t have a clue do you Lee?

Jacob

You’re right. Top 4 here we come..Probably enough time left for him to get the golden boot. Genius left field decision by Ole. #Igoalo!
Am I doing it right?
Doesn't have to be either of two extremes. But I prefer this over the initial reaction.

What good does it do, really? The market prerequisites are such that you can't get quality forwards in January. Nobody expected Rashford to burn out. Give United a break.

Just think of all the deadwood we've cleared out in such a short space of time. Lukaku, Young, Rojo, Sanchez etc.

Tiber

There has been some real drivel posted in recent days

No Love

Odion Ighalo at Man Utd. What a time to be alive. Then, when you think you’ve seen it all, someone comes out of the woodwork to suggest Fellaini should never have left. Good Lord!

Anyway, good luck Ighalo. Hoping he can surprise a few.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
After sleeping on it, I’m mostly fine with this now... I mean, it’s still pretty hilarious, and a big downgrade on what we had a year ago, but it is what it is...happy to at least give the lad a chance. Sorry, man. Happy to give the fully grown adult man a chance.

Ollie Derbyshire

Haha, why does anyone still reference Fellaini, as if he was some sort of useful player for us.

Nothing wrong with this Ighalo deal, we needed someone in quick, ideally who is/was in the premier league before. Dropped interest in King (rightly so) when the asking price was too much and moved quickly for Ighalo. Personally think he is better than Rondon who others would have preferred.

Shame we didn’t get Haaland but our transfers continue to be going in the right direction in my opinion. If it was the buy out clause that hindered the Haaland deal then I agree with us pulling out.

3/4 more players in in the summer and the squad turnover will have been carried out quicker than I was expecting.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Ighalo was a pretty annoying player to play against. He must be really fit if Ole considered him (Mourinho also). I’m intrigued.

fps

Ole’s doing well to get in players who really want to play for the club. That’s very important and Ighalo if nothing else is going to be coming in and working harder than anyone with a smile on his face. That makes a big difference and will show up any big time Charlies still thinking they can steal a living. Smart move in difficult circumstances.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
He deserves a chance, and we shouldn't pretend like he's some competition winner who's lucky to be here. Yes playing for United should be one of the highest honours in football but let's face it, at the moment he's the one doing us a favour filling a hole we stupidly left open this season.

SCJY

There has been some real drivel posted in recent days
Totally. After reading some of the drivel, the only thought in my mind is: "yikes".

Shame we didn’t get Haaland but our transfers continue to be going in the right direction in my opinion. If it was the buy out clause that hindered the Haaland deal then I agree with us pulling out.
I would have loved if we got Haaland, but I'm kind of glad we didn't because of that release clause. There was plenty of talk about him not wanting to move to a massive club yet, that he would prefer to move to another smaller club before making the leap to one of the giants. Therefore it just makes sense for him not to move to us, because we'd just be seen as a stopgap club.

In light of what has happened, I would prefer United to be Haaland's final destination as opposed a stop-gap club. Therefore, we need to activate his release clause with Dortmund either this summer, next window. I can't find out what the release clause is, but my guess is in the E50-70m range. That is what United should be paying, and then can set their own release clause at E150-200m once he is signed. Only then do United have a chance of retaining him long-term. it just wasn't the right time for Haaland for United, but give it another year or two, I think he will be a United player. Particularly if Ole is still at the club.

Mainoldo

Forget the propaganda from the club that many posters on here swallow, mate. United do not have a transfer strategy, let alone a 'new and improved' one under Ole. We are a reactionary club that approaches transfers in a ridiculous manner and regardless of what they tell you, we do not have a scouting network.
Funny you should say that. I was going to create a thread about it. Nothing has changed.. we literally could have decided to back Mourinho again and we would have ended up with the same signings except for Dan James (Mourinho isn’t taking advice off Giggs).

All this PR rubbish about a new culture and well planned transfer strategy is a myth. Our targets barring a few ‘mates’ recommendations, Haaland included.. remain the same as probably 2 years ago.

SCJY

I'm going to be the first to say it: I hope we do sign him on a permanent basis especially if he helps us in a meaningful way in getting us top-4. Meaning, chipping in with goals. He's completely different than what we have. He's different as a player and situation-ally than Lukaku so the comparisons there are off-base IMO. I'd give him a 3 year deal.

Obviously, if he's shite, just move him on. That's the beauty of loan deal, but I bet this guy is going to surprise a lot of people in here.

podurban2

The guy is super switched on, humble and bright. Speaks at least three languages fluently, others to different levels and was doing two hours of Chinese daily. Talks about going to China to invest in his family and considered it a sacrifice. Obviously the highlight is where he talks about supporting Manchester United as a kid, re-emphasises that he still supports us by saying “my United”, and saying that his dream club to play for is us.
Picked De Gea and Pogba for his dream XI, no other player from the PL. That was a nice touch in hindsight.

Cockney Phil

We are. No doubt. In alot of ways I agree with your criticism.

But why are you bothered about whether they feel 'threatened' by our transfer activity?
Because the eternal campaign against the Scousers has always been fundamentally about psychology.
Whether it was Shanks trying to wind up Bobby or Eric playing them off the pitch everyone knew we must be above, better and challenging them at every level.
Even when we were crap in the 70s/80s we battled them but now we’re adrift and the transfer strategy is just another reflection of our rapid demise.

The sudden influx of players under LVG was a warning that continued under Maureen and now Ole is going another way - a track record of inconsistency.
For thirty years we had a coherent mix of transfers and home grown, which suited the tactics on the pitch and delivered honours.
Now we’re spending money, pushing young players and performances are all over the place.
We never know if the players will turn it on or not turn up.
This is not the record of a joined up club but rather a series of disjointed and dislocated decisions.

And to those who think this window is all good, I truly hope your dreams come true but wishful thinking has been a constant at least since Willie Morgan was signed by Sir Matt and look what happened five years later. Since 2013 we’ve had several managers, umpteen players and spent a billion - and where are we now?

Woodward and Co have let everyone down, including the fans - they should be held to greater account.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
This is an odd one to say the least. It's obviously a move of desperation, but we're in desperate times. That's not to say it can't work out and i wish the guy all the best and hope he does well in his time here. Only a six month loan so we're not committing ourselves to him, but it doesn't necessarily assuage any fears you may have about this club not knowing what the feck they're doing in the transfer window.

I'm not angry at this one, just find it odd tbh. Lets hope he can help us get in the top four.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I thought that he is more target man and good in the air but he is more all round striker, right?

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
If anyone cares, I’ve watched near enough every single game of his in China basically. He was absolutely terrible since he came back from injury, a complete shell of what he was before that. I’d be amazed if he is still capable at playing at Premier league level, pretty sure he’s near finished.

Seems a poor signing for me despite united needing bodies. I can’t believe a scouting department has watched him the last few months and decided he’s up to playing for United, seems a massive panic signing.

SCJY

Funny you should say that. I was going to create a thread about it. Nothing has changed.. we literally could have decided to back Mourinho again and we would have ended up with the same signings except for Dan James (Mourinho isn’t taking advice off Giggs).

All this PR rubbish about a new culture and well planned transfer strategy is a myth. Our targets barring a few ‘mates’ recommendations, Haaland included.. remain the same as probably 2 years ago.
Not sure how that is any different than Fergie years.

Look at the signings of Cantona, Ronaldo, Bebe, Blanc, Larsson, Owen, Smith... the list goes on and on and on...

A gap is identified and a player is brought in to fill that gap. Simple.

What kind of strategy are you after? The idea that a strategy is needed/useful/effective is a myth. You can have the best laid plans in the world in the transfer market and it could all go to shit anyway because the other club doesn't want to sell.

Basically, I personally don't recall anybody really talking about transfer strategies in public... but I do think it has been acknowledged that the transfer policy and performace in the transfer market hasn't been great and needs improving. I think based on the last two windows, there has been seriously significant improvement. It's still not great, with the speed in which transfers are getting completed being the main culprit.

izec

If anyone cares, I’ve watched near enough every single game of his in China basically. He was absolutely terrible since he came back from injury, a complete shell of what he was before that. I’d be amazed if he is still capable at playing at Premier league level, pretty sure he’s near finished.

Seems a poor signing for me despite united needing bodies. I can’t believe a scouting department has watched him the last few months and decided he’s up to playing for United, seems a massive panic signing.
what was the injury?

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
He has a 6 month trial for United. You can be certain that at the very least he will run through walls looking to impress.

Judas

Open to offers

:lol: :nervous: that's reassuring to hear.

I doubt 99% of us have watched him in China, I know I haven't, I'm simply going off form for Nigeria and all those years ago at Watford.

Mainoldo

Not sure how that is any different than Fergie years.

Look at the signings of Cantona, Ronaldo, Bebe, Blanc, Larsson, Owen, Smith... the list goes on and on and on...

A gap is identified and a player is brought in to fill that gap. Simple.

What kind of strategy are you after? The idea that a strategy is needed/useful/effective is a myth. You can have the best laid plans in the world in the transfer market and it could all go to shit anyway because the other club doesn't want to sell.

Basically, I personally don't recall anybody really talking about transfer strategies in public... but I do think it has been acknowledged that the transfer policy and performace in the transfer market hasn't been great and needs improving. I think based on the last two windows, there has been seriously significant improvement. It's still not great, with the speed in which transfers are getting completed being the main culprit.
How can you claim strategy is a myth and then say there has been serious significant improvement. It’s either important or it isn’t.

I don’t know what point you was making but youfailed to answer what I had questioned. Your better off explain what has improved and keep on topic.

The whole point of having a strategy is to ensure new targets coming in fit into the team a quick as possible. Therefore more impactive on the field. It doesn’t always work out like most things in football. But if you wan to attack from the flanks and deliver crosses you might prefer to get Perisic instead of Sanchez. As an example.

SCJY

How can you claim strategy is a myth and then say there has been serious significant improvement. It’s either important or it isn’t.

I don’t know what point you was making but youfailed to answer what I had questioned. Your better off explain what has improved and keep on topic.

The whole point of having a strategy is to ensure new targets coming in fit into the team a quick as possible. Therefore more impactive on the field. It doesn’t always work out like most things in football. But if you wan to attack from the flanks and deliver crosses you might prefer to get Perisic instead of Sanchez. As an example.
Stay on topic? This thread is about a particular player, not about United's transfer strategy, so who are you to be calling for anybody to stay on topic?

jamesjimmybyrondean

Terrible signing as far as I'm concerned. He has done nothing to even consider him. Compared to the other players we could have also gotten on loan like Bakambu or Rondon he's the worst. We picked him because of his love for us and willingness to give his everything and not based on his quality as a player. It's that or we had no other choice which is what i will call a panic buy or loan

People say we just needed a body but I completely disagree. We needed a goalscorer because the one we had is injured for a long time. Martial has proven again he can't be relied upon and Greenwood is too young to carry such a burden. We needed a goalscorer because we don't have a consistent one right now. Unless Martial steps up nothing will change even with Ighalo

Ighalo won't change anything. Apart from Martial not performing If Martial injures we would be trusting a player that scored 2 goals in his last season in the Pl, has spent 3 years in China, and hasn't played for the last two months to lead the line for us. I don't see what he would do that even Mandzukic who everybody didn't want wouldn't do. Very underwhelming signing and we could have done better

Last edited:

Mainoldo

Stay on topic? This thread is about a particular player, not about United's transfer strategy, so who are you to be calling for anybody to stay on topic?
Well talk about Ighalo then. I’m not stopping you.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes

Sounds promising! :lol:

Don't be unenthusiastic though folks. Does go back to how its hard to look at this move as anything other than a panic move brought about by the actions in the summer, which hundreds of us here repeatedly pointed out was a recipe for disaster at the time. Honestly some of the sanctimony here shown just because people point this stuff out is beyond belief. I get it's good to be positive, but you'd have to be blind not to see some of the shambles on display.

Red00012

:lol::lol:

amidnorthern

I've not watched much of him but he looks weak like a kitten. Pretty easily shepherded out of play

Irrational.

I think he'll be a Michael Owen-esque signing. Everyone thought he was broken and finished. But that one goal against City made it all worth it.

If he contributes even a single goal that can be the difference between top four and Europa again, then the loan deal practically pays for itself.

Not sure what all the moaning is about. It's the best we could do given the circumstances. We'll probably have a shiny new striker this summer regardless of what happens.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

You’re spot on. But he isn’t a panic signing, he’s a sub and that’s all he’s ever going to be for 5 months