Odion Ighalo: Manchester United player on loan until the end of the season

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I'm okay with that, no problem with it being Ighalo but God our transfer dealings are fecking shambles. All the best to Iggy though, hope he can become an absolute gem for us for the time being.
I don't get this.
Our top targets weren't obtainable so we moved for a stop gap alternative.
Not exactly the poor planning people believed, it shows that we actually had a plan all along.

Judas

Open to offers
Desperate transfer at a desperate time. Should we have planned better to avoid this situation? Of course, but we didn’t. At least we got someone over the line and have an extra body up front which we clearly needed. It could make a difference.

Josep Dowling

Desperate transfer at a desperate time. Should we have planned better to avoid this situation? Of course, but we didn’t. At least we got someone over the line and have an extra body up front which we clearly needed. It could make a difference.
We tried to sign Haaland and he didn’t want to come or there was issues with his contract. Then we weren’t going to get anyone.

Rashford gets injured and we need a backup. What do you want us to do? It’s January, there are very few options available that won’t cost an absolute fortune. I’m sure you will say Cavani or Mertens but both have made comments about England in the past and would want £300k a week.

We need a short term solution so we get our actual targets in the summer. At least with Ole there is some form of plan in the transfer market. I think Oghalo is a great signing. Knows the league and supports the club.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I'm encouraged by us making what seems to me to be an excellent decision. We don't need to worry about his development or how he fits into the long term plans, just a stop gap while Rashford is out, to provide some cover for Martial and Greenwood. Thank the gods that Bournemouth rejected the bid for King, I think that was overkill.

Not that we shouldn't look for a long term striker target, but we should aim higher than King in that regard.
Exactly - it's not a case of "no pressure, but we're building the team around you lad", it's just "play to the best of your abilities and score some goals".

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
It's a loan deal, we have shortage of forwards and we couldn't get better forwards since it is middle of season. Not bad deal from that perspective with nothing to lose.

The mistake was not buying/trying for someone like Mandzukic in summer if we were not getting targets we wanted, so that we could have had an experienced player as backup and in summer 2020, we could have tried again for long term option. But now that we are here, any goal scorer with bit of PL experience will do. Hopefully Ighalo will score few to help us reach top 4/win Europa. Lifelong United fan, so it will be a good story.
I agree regarding us buying a striker in the summer. However Mandzukic? Really? I prefer ighalo to him, at least the Nigerian is still a player. Mandzukic is as shot as a player as Cantona is

Judas

Open to offers
We tried to sign Haaland and he didn’t want to come or there was issues with his contract. Then we weren’t going to get anyone.

Rashford gets injured and we need a backup. What do you want us to do? It’s January, there are very few options available that won’t cost an absolute fortune. I’m sure you will say Cavani or Mertens but both have made comments about England in the past and would want £300k a week.

We need a short term solution so we get our actual targets in the summer. At least with Ole there is some form of plan in the transfer market. I think Oghalo is a great signing. Knows the league and supports the club.
I'm not against the transfer? I'm giving a balanced view. I was literally defending the signing all last night.

Judas

Open to offers
I agree regarding us buying a striker in the summer. However Mandzukic? Really? I prefer ighalo to him, at least the Nigerian is still a player. Mandzukic is as shot as a player as Cantona is
Yeah people still tooting that horn are mad. Ighalo is younger and PL experienced, and actually coming for the right reasons, we're his dream club. Much rather have him on a 6 month loan than signing Mandzukic at his age to a much longer contract.

Josep Dowling

I'm not against the transfer? I'm giving a balanced view. I was literally defending the signing all last night.
I haven’t read through the entire thread. I was going to comment then thought I’d respond to your post.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
The way people are reacting, it’s as though we’ve signed somebody off the street who isn’t even a footballer.

we’ve got somebody in who has premier league experience and has scored goals at this level, for under 5m (total, including wages) for 6 months.

As far as emergency ‘panic’ buys go, this is a clever one

Judas

Open to offers
It's a panic buy, obviously, but Spurs failed in getting someone in, Chelsea failed too, and both of them were seemingly looking for a striker longer than we were. We've done well to not ignore the massive issue, and we've nothing to lose by making this signing, except a few million.

He's something a bit different to our attack too, and he can't do anything but surprise people with the expectations for him being as long as they are....hopefully.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
He’s re-posting so much on his Instagram stories, where people have wished him well.

hes obviously absolutely buzzing and I’m really happy for him. It’ll be nice to have somebody who feels that it’s a privilege to play for us

BarstoolProphet

Apparently we were also interested in Danny Ings and Teemu Pukki as well as Josh King... ended up with Ighalo.
I consider the barrel well and truly scraped.
I'm happy we ended up with Ighalo instead of those players. All three are ok+ players but not good enough long term, which means we would either not pursue another striker and be stuck with the likes of King and Ings, or we would still sign a striker and have a 30-40m player as a backup on high wages. Whilst we shouldn't even be in this situation, I still think this atleast was a sensible and non-desperate move despite what the critics say. And in line with the seemingly long-term planning Ole initiated.

Woodzy

Got to give the club a pat on the back for finding a short-term measure at the last minute. Still nonsense that we got ourselves into that position.

Also feel like the player (as well as many others in the Chinese League) was being offered to clubs over the last couple of days, so I doubt we did very much on the scouting side of things aside from a ‘he did alright at Watford a few years ago’ when his agent approached us.

Red_Aaron

I don't know if he'll find the net much but having an actual forward who plays in the box and occupies defenders will imo have a big effect on the other forwards, martial and Greenwood will get more space to operate in and you never know iggy might just get on the end of one of James crosses instead of being 20 yards away from goal.

Also getting the Falcao chant back on the terraces is worth the loan fee alone :drool:

Acole9

Outstanding
Rather him on a short term deal than pay silly money for King.

Cockney Phil

Nothing against the lad and I hope he does well but our transfer policy is a joke.

its easy to pile hope on Bruno and Ighalo but the reality is we failed to get Haaland, which was a huge statement of our intent and our strategy.

in six months we’ve let Rom go, dithered and ended up with a loan at the last minute.

If we get a cup and 4th all well and good but let’s not fool ourselves, we’re miles behind the Scousers who won’t feel threatened by these transfers.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He’s re-posting so much on his Instagram stories, where people have wished him well.

hes obviously absolutely buzzing and I’m really happy for him. It’ll be nice to have somebody who feels that it’s a privilege to play for us
Yep, a motivated hungry player with less talent will always be better than the unhappy, disallusioned player with more.

I don't really take into account what he's done in China, let's be honest I don't think anybody there actually tries their hardest or even scores 2/3 goals a game like you'd expect.

If he plays anything like he did for Watford he should be a decent option, I suspect he will have a good partnership with Martial.

Dan_F

Rather him on a short term deal than pay silly money for King.
Same. I can’t say I really took much notice of him when he was at Watford, so no idea of his level of quality. Looks like the first team he played for in China got relegated though? Which can’t be a good sign.

I would still maintain that a right winger was probably just as important. But I guess we have Mata, James and Greenwood who cover there. None of them actually want to play there though, which is so bizarre, as it’s been a blind spot for years.

Will be interesting to see if Martial gets moved to the left. Cant see that going down well with him.

Judas

Open to offers
Nothing against the lad and I hope he does well but our transfer policy is a joke.

its easy to pile hope on Bruno and Ighalo but the reality is we failed to get Haaland, which was a huge statement of our intent and our strategy.

in six months we’ve let Rom go, dithered and ended up with a loan at the last minute.

If we get a cup and 4th all well and good but let’s not fool ourselves, we’re miles behind the Scousers who won’t feel threatened by these transfers.
This is going to be the new myth isn't it? No matter how many times its clearly stated that its wrong, it's going to be repeated over and over again :lol:

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
I expect this post to get a bashing. But this signing can be taken as a tacit admission that it was a mistake of the dumbest proportions to let strikers and attackers go in the summer without replacing. Quick let’s sneak that ighalo guy in with fernandes before anyone notices.

hope he does well and that obviously, but feck me. Looks plain amateurish. We’ll see I guess. Please now give me some abuse driven ‘encouragement’ to get the rose tinted specs on. ‘He’s been banging a few goals in in China, and I always rated him throughout his journeyman career!’ ‘Something’s better than nothing you poisonous little glory hunting brats!’ etc etc

Jacob

I expect this post to get a bashing. But this signing can be taken as a tacit admission that it was a mistake of the dumbest proportions to let strikers and attackers go in the summer without replacing. Quick let’s sneak that ighalo guy in with fernandes before anyone notices.

hope he does well and that obviously, but feck me. Looks plain amateurish. We’ll see I guess. Please now give me some abuse driven ‘encouragement’ to get the rose tinted specs on. ‘He’s been banging a few goals in in China, and I always rated him throughout his journeyman career!’ ‘Something’s better than nothing you poisonous little glory hunting brats!’ etc etc
Just get behind a bloody decision for once. Some people just live to criticise and never praise. Supporting a club doesn't mean you have to agree with all things said and done.

stu_1992

Not a headline I ever expected to see! But it's a 6 month loan with no obligation to buy. How bad can it be? It's a position we desperately needed cover in after Rashfords injury so at the very least he can give us that. Honestly he's more encouraging than the majority of players we were linked with for this position. And it's true that he offers something different than our other striker options. Here's hoping he can prove the doubters wrong.

edgar allan

Same. I can’t say I really took much notice of him when he was at Watford, so no idea of his level of quality. Looks like the first team he played for in China got relegated though? Which can’t be a good sign.

I would still maintain that a right winger was probably just as important. But I guess we have Mata, James and Greenwood who cover there. None of them actually want to play there though, which is so bizarre, as it’s been a blind spot for years.

Will be interesting to see if Martial gets moved to the left. Cant see that going down well with him.
Having underperformed for the most part he can count himself luck Rashford is injured or he would be sulking on the bench.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
First Nigerian to play for United and that makes 43 different nationalities to play for us.
I take it John Obi Mikel isn’t considered to have played for us because I guess he was never registered to us as a player (never mind making any appearances). Iirc we did receive compensation for him though - or was it a “transfer fee”?

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Sort of excited with this little to no risk signing. Much prefer this over spending £30m or so on Josh King. And he compliments the squad well in terms of what we’re lacking, let alone squad numbers.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Just get behind a bloody decision for once. Some people just live to criticise and never praise. Supporting a club doesn't mean you have to agree with all things said and done.
You’re right. Top 4 here we come..Probably enough time left for him to get the golden boot. Genius left field decision by Ole. #Igoalo!
Am I doing it right?

Judas

Open to offers
What's impressive is at a time where we are in a bad place, not looking great, the over the top negative nancy's still manage to look terrible? How is that possible. All you have to do is be calm and reasonable about our reality, but so many have to push it too far and go over the top into a land of fiction, thus coming across looking like total babies.

Jake

Mine's too big and gay.
You’re right. Top 4 here we come..Probably enough time left for him to get the golden boot. Genius left field decision by Ole. #Igoalo!
Am I doing it right?
Stop being an arse. I’m quite excited about this signing. He wants to play for us and scored goals with a poor Watford side.

Even if he isn’t a success it’s just a 6 month loan and we can go back into the market for a quality striker in the summer.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Can someone jog my memory? Didnt he turn really really shite and then move to China, or was he still on that top form purple patch before going away?

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
What's impressive is at a time where we are in a bad place, not looking great, the over the top negative nancy's still manage to look terrible? How is that possible. All you have to do is be calm and reasonable about our reality, but so many have to push it too far and go over the top into a land of fiction, thus coming across looking like total babies.
what’s fictional about pointing out that wasn’t very clever to let attackers go in the summer without replacing and then sort of glaringly obvious attempts to rectify it by getting ighalo in January. When you add it to ‘Sanchez is gonna come back and prove all you doubters wrong and that’s why I fecking loaned him to inter’. You surely got to admit it doesn’t look great.

I obviously hope Igoalo does well here. But it’s valid po8nts being brought up, just whitewashing it as‘ moaney’ ‘whiney’ blah blah. It’s getting so fecking boring. Address the argument with less of the character assassination sh*thousery.

Stadjer

When Ole needed a goal there have been multiple times he subbed in Jesse Lingard, the non scoring and non assisting attacking creative midfielder.

Now Ole can bring in a striker who will more likely score a goal than Lingard.

Ighalo might not be the most exciting loan but for half a season he could be usefull. Lets just see how he does.

Cockney Phil

Can someone jog my memory? Didnt he turn really really shite and then move to China, or was he still on that top form purple patch before going away?
There are many different opinions out there. Some think he started well and finished badly, others say he’s pretty average and others suggest he’s a Poundland Rom.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Wtf.