Official: Anders Lindegaard signs for United

Red Norse

I get it. You're making the connection because they both came from the same league. Can't argue with that really. Flawless logic.
:lol: Let's not forget the fountain of knowledge, Tor Kristian Karlsen. The man with more hats than he really needs and less influence than he really wants.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
:lol: Let's not forget the fountain of knowledge, Tor Kristian Karlsen. The man with more hats than he really needs and less influence than he really wants.
I thought his only 'hat' these days was his twitter account..? Well, that and filling out NAV forms.

Georgie Best

If I had to choose between sleeping with Miss Worl
So, when it comes to assessing potential, Schmeichel > United's entire scouting and goalkeeper coaching operation?

Which begs the question... why isn't Schmeichel a scout for a top European club?:confused:
I am sure Schmeichel could have been a scout if he wanted to, and he would probably do a decent job too.

The first time I read the Schmeichel quote was in a Norwegian newspaper whom had taken from a Danish newspaper that Manchester United should go for Pepe Reina. That is common sense, it is always preferable to sign a "proven" goalkeeper in front of a unproven goalkeeper. If Reina played for Tottenham instead of Liverpool he probably would have been everyones first choice, although we should not deal with that scum.

Suddenly the "Schmeichel says Lindegaard is not good enough" is everywhere, in other articles than the original and not put into the same context.

Personally I am always sceptical to players leaving Norway from England. And one cannot possibly know to much about Lindegaard either. All I can say is what I have said in almost every post, he is the best goalkeeper in Norway - probably the best for a very long time, and clearly ready to step up a level or two. For under £4m, this can't be described as any thing other than a brilliant signing.

Jacob

"One of the top young keepers in the game", that is pretty high praise from SAF. I hope he's ready to make an impact this season already, would be useful if VDS decides to retire cold turkey come the end of the season.

Suedesi

I am sure Schmeichel could have been a scout if he wanted to, and he would probably do a decent job too.

The first time I read the Schmeichel quote was in a Norwegian newspaper whom had taken from a Danish newspaper that Manchester United should go for Pepe Reina. That is common sense, it is always preferable to sign a "proven" goalkeeper in front of a unproven goalkeeper. If Reina played for Tottenham instead of Liverpool he probably would have been everyones first choice, although we should not deal with that scum.

Suddenly the "Schmeichel says Lindegaard is not good enough" is everywhere, in other articles than the original and not put into the same context.

Personally I am always sceptical to players leaving Norway from England. And one cannot possibly know to much about Lindegaard either. All I can say is what I have said in almost every post, he is the best goalkeeper in Norway - probably the best for a very long time, and clearly ready to step up a level or two. For under £4m, this can't be described as any thing other than a brilliant signing.

Let's hope mate let's hope.

After the two Serbs, Diouf, Bebe etc, I can't say I'm too optimistic he'll be a first-teamer or a good transaction, but let's hope.

Suedesi

How many times had you seen Hernandez before he signed?
Never mate, however, our record of buying unknown players from obscure leagues has been not that great. I reckon we lost money on the two serbs, overpaid on diouf and bebe, and struck gold with chicharito.

Georgie Best

After the two Serbs, Diouf, Bebe etc, I can't say I'm too optimistic he'll be a first-teamer or a good transaction, but let's hope.
Let me remind you that neither Bebe nor Diouf has flopped yet. Mame Biram Diouf seems to be a first team player and one of the best players in Blackburn. Despite it still being a bit of a mystery if he is going to be good enough for United yet - one cannot deny that he clearly is Premier Leauge material and if he fails, United are likely to get their money back in a eventual sale if he should not make it. Ronaldo was not a huge name when we signed him, he turned out to be the best footballer in the world, he was said to be wanted by Barcelona and Real Madrid, so was Bebe, at least Real Madrid interest was confirmed... there are some similarities.

If we are to look at some history, Scandinavian goalkeepers has done quite well in the Premier League in the past, if we look back to the nineties we have both Thordstvedt and Schmeichel of course, the past decade Finland has made a bigger impact with Niemi and Jääskeläinen both, Sørensen has not been crap neither and Ali Al Habsi whom just knocked Kirkland out of the first team spot in Wigan also came from the Norwegian league... The fact is that several Scandinavian goalkeepers has come to England and been rather successful. I guess Scandinavians are rather famous for playing a bit of power football, our players are often big and physically strong. Something that I think several of the Premier Leauge has in common with Scandinavian football.

Georgie Best

Never mate, however, our record of buying unknown players from obscure leagues has been not that great. I reckon we lost money on the two serbs, overpaid on diouf and bebe, and struck gold with chicharito.
That is simply not a fact if you see all the picture, some examples from the top of my head in the 90's and 00's:
Peter Schmeichel from Brøndby, Denmark, great signing.
Andrei Kanchelskis from Shaktar Donetsk, Ukraine, great signing.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer from Molde, Norway, great signing.
Ronny Johnsen was signed from Besiktas, Turkey - great signing.
Nemanja Vidic from CSKA Moscow, Russia, great signing.

Don't see why Ronaldo and Bebe was so awfully different? Ronaldo was a bit more hyped, but not that much. Ferguson were said to notice him in the friendly between United and Sporting, he had not played much. Ronaldo was twice as expensive too... It is easy to see that Bebe has some interesting attributes.

Ferguson prefers to sign the best players from smaller clubs than Manchester United, that has always been his main philosophy. He looks away from the top clubs in Spain and Italy, and if you compare Manchester United and Real Madrid, it is easy to see that United are far more successfully with ten Premier League golds the past two decades while Real Madrid won only seven.

Laphroaig

Chances are if people haven't seen him, he's not good enough...
1. "People" (I assume you mean caftards, which means you're a bloody loony) have. 2. Steele and United's people bloody well have.

If Schmeichel can say he's not Man Utd quality, that'd be probably accurate.
Right. Never mind the fact he never did?

I'm not writing him off but
Seeing as you haven't bothered to reply to the previous post that arrested you, your opinion is rather hollow and of no interest at all.

kikks

I hope he'll have a more solid defence in front of him next season because that's crucial for his confidence, if we surround him with the crap we've had so far this season - particularly at the beginning - then I doubt he'll make it him, nor would De Gea or any other keeper. For van der Sar it's not much of a problem that his defenders go nuts on a regular basis because he's seen that before and he's established himself as a world class keeper, for young goalkeeper with basically no experience at this level it'd be very stressful and would put way too much pressure, therefore I think it's essential that we sort our defence out before we give a run to any new goalkeeper.
Wouldn't worry about that, mate, Lindegaard in my experience will have absolutely no problem bollocking the hell out of his defenders if they feck things up.

Suedesi

Let me remind you that neither Bebe nor Diouf has flopped yet. Mame Biram Diouf seems to be a first team player and one of the best players in Blackburn. Despite it still being a bit of a mystery if he is going to be good enough for United yet - one cannot deny that he clearly is Premier Leauge material and if he fails, United are likely to get their money back in a eventual sale if he should not make it. Ronaldo was not a huge name when we signed him, he turned out to be the best footballer in the world, he was said to be wanted by Barcelona and Real Madrid, so was Bebe, at least Real Madrid interest was confirmed... there are some similarities.

If we are to look at some history, Scandinavian goalkeepers has done quite well in the Premier League in the past, if we look back to the nineties we have both Thordstvedt and Schmeichel of course, the past decade Finland has made a bigger impact with Niemi and Jääskeläinen both, Sørensen has not been crap neither and Ali Al Habsi whom just knocked Kirkland out of the first team spot in Wigan also came from the Norwegian league... The fact is that several Scandinavian goalkeepers has come to England and been rather successful. I guess Scandinavians are rather famous for playing a bit of power football, our players are often big and physically strong. Something that I think several of the Premier Leauge has in common with Scandinavian football.
Fine, I'd rather us go for an established keeper, like Buffon, Cesar or Neuer than taking a chance on a guy than can or cannot be VDS's replacement. It's fine taking a risk on a fullback or striker, but with a keeper I'd rather not feck around because any mistake would be potentially crucial. A young midfielder can mis-hit a cross or mis-time a tackle and it'd be ok, but a keeper flapping would almost cost us a goal. 'Ben Foster, young and learning', he probably cost us several points last year with his disastrous decision-making, which probably meant enough for Chelsea to win the title. If we didn't have a young player to blood, but a solid deputy (like Sorensen, Schwarzer etc who would cost 4-5mill quid) we'd probably won #19.

Having said that I haven't seen Lindegaard so I will reserve judgment. Hope he's the dog's bollocks

Amir

Problem is, established could mean very little. Barthez was established. Eccentric? Yeah. But a World Cup winner, a Champions League winner, and just after we signed him, a Euro 2000 winner. And for big parts of his time with us, he was excellent.

So it's difficult. We'd all like another VDS. A seasoned pro who played at the absolute top and knows the Premier League. But two signings are never alike and there's no other VDS around. You mentioned Sorensen or Schwarzer. There's also Jaskelainen, but they never played for a club like United. Edwin has. I'd say the closest thing would be Buffon probably, though he never played in England, but I wouldn't take chances with him simply because of his injury problems.

It's a gamble either way. The only thing that matters right now is we've got time to take a good look at our new signing before decisions will have to be made.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

One of the two Serbs that we've bought in recent times has been a major success and is our captain at the minute, and the other one was sold for £2m more than we paid for him. Bebe hasn't played five games for us yet, and Diouf has done well at Blackburn so if he doesn't make it here, we can still sell him for a profit. The list is obviously still missing Hernandez who was completely unknown and has been a success so far.

You've basically listed an excellent buy, two decent buys that are going to make a profit for us anyway, and a player who hasn't featured at all because he needs time to learn football.

Sarni

Fine, I'd rather us go for an established keeper, like Buffon, Cesar or Neuer than taking a chance on a guy than can or cannot be VDS's replacement. It's fine taking a risk on a fullback or striker, but with a keeper I'd rather not feck around because any mistake would be potentially crucial. A young midfielder can mis-hit a cross or mis-time a tackle and it'd be ok, but a keeper flapping would almost cost us a goal. 'Ben Foster, young and learning', he probably cost us several points last year with his disastrous decision-making, which probably meant enough for Chelsea to win the title. If we didn't have a young player to blood, but a solid deputy (like Sorensen, Schwarzer etc who would cost 4-5mill quid) we'd probably won #19.

Having said that I haven't seen Lindegaard so I will reserve judgment. Hope he's the dog's bollocks
We'd have fat chance of signing any of the names that you mentioned, and the other players linked with us for that position haven't been all that in terms of establishment - De Gea for example has only had a year at top level, and Lloris has been prone to feck ups recently.

Amir

We'd have fat chance of signing any of the names that you mentioned.
I think we have a chance at Buffon, with Juventus not going anywhere for a while. He may well fancy a move like that for the last few years of his career. But it will cost big money and his injuries are a problem. Neuer is certainly possible. I'm just not sure about him at all. Cesar is obviously a no-go area and he's probably the one I'd love us to sign. So that leaves us with a lot of talented goalkeepers who can be big success stories and big flops. Whether they are called Neuer, Lloris, De Gea or Lindegaard.

Devil may care

We didn't lose money on Ljajic as we never paid for him and we actually made £1M profit on Tosic, Diouf only cost £1.5M so I don't think we overpaid there, the only really overpriced player we have bought recently is Bebe.

Sarni

I think we have a chance at Buffon, with Juventus not going anywhere for a while. He may well fancy a move like that for the last few years of his career. But it will cost big money and his injuries are a problem. Neuer is certainly possible. I'm just not sure about him at all. Cesar is obviously a no-go area and he's probably the one I'd love us to sign. So that leaves us with a lot of talented goalkeepers who can be big success stories and big flops. Whether they are called Neuer, Lloris, De Gea or Lindegaard.
Nah, Buffon hasn't been all that recently but I still don't think Juventus would sell him. It was clear they weren't going nowhere when they were relegated back in the days, yet he was one of few players who decided to stay, he wouldn't move now.

Sarni

We didn't lose money on Ljajic as we never paid for him and we actually made £1M profit on Tosic, Diouf only cost £1.5M so I don't think we overpaid there, the only really overpriced player we have bought recently is Bebe.
Ah, he meant Ljajic not Vidic, completely forgot about him as he was never our player. Diouf cost way more than that though, I still think he'd fetch something close to £6m in this market which is beyond the value that we've paid for him.

And feck knows how much we paid for Bebe to be honest, I didn't believe the £7m figure for a second, besides he'll need to be here for two or three seasons before we can judge him because at the moment all he is is a physical beast who doesn't know much about football, he'll be taught though.

Devil may care

Ah, he meant Ljajic not Vidic, completely forgot about him as he was never our player. Diouf cost way more than that though, I still think he'd fetch something close to £6m in this market which is beyond the value that we've paid for him.

And feck knows how much we paid for Bebe to be honest, I didn't believe the £7m figure for a second, besides he'll need to be here for two or three seasons before we can judge him because at the moment all he is is a physical beast who doesn't know much about football, he'll be taught though.
I thought Diouf cost £1.5M with a possible £500,000 in add ons. If we sold Diouf now he'd most likely fetch around the £6M mark I agree, that is the standard price for a United branded player.

I would have thought if he cost less Fergie would have said so in order to take the pressure off the lad, I agree we can't judge him yet, I was just saying that the price we paid for what he currently is was steep if it is indeed the correct price.

Sarni

I thought Diouf cost £1.5M with a possible £500,000 in add ons. If we sold Diouf now he'd most likely fetch around the £6M mark I agree, that is the standard price for a United branded player.

I would have thought if he cost less Fergie would have said so in order to take the pressure off the lad, I agree we can't judge him yet, I was just saying that the price we paid for what he currently is was steep if it is indeed the correct price.
I think Diouf was actually £3m plus £2m in conditionals and installments.

prateik

Smalling 10m
Diouf 4.5
Hernandez a bit under 6m

According to the Fergie radio interview in the summer.

Never seen Lindegaard play... looking forward to seeing him get some minutes
Hope we progress in the Carling Cup

zub2007

Same here never seen him play. Lets hope he can cement his place in the first team when VDS goes but saying that would love to see De Gea

p_ps_sock

I haven't seen this guy play but I just hope he is the best option the scouts have identified and we're not trying to do it on the cheap again, there are very few successful teams with an average keeper.

I suppose getting him in this early leaves us options, we can give him time before the summer and if it isn't working out we can sign someone else next summer.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
That is simply not a fact if you see all the picture, some examples from the top of my head in the 90's and 00's:
Peter Schmeichel from Brøndby, Denmark, great signing.
Andrei Kanchelskis from Shaktar Donetsk, Ukraine, great signing.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer from Molde, Norway, great signing.
Ronny Johnsen was signed from Besiktas, Turkey - great signing.
Nemanja Vidic from CSKA Moscow, Russia, great signing.

Don't see why Ronaldo and Bebe was so awfully different? Ronaldo was a bit more hyped, but not that much. Ferguson were said to notice him in the friendly between United and Sporting, he had not played much. Ronaldo was twice as expensive too... It is easy to see that Bebe has some interesting attributes.

Ferguson prefers to sign the best players from smaller clubs than Manchester United, that has always been his main philosophy. He looks away from the top clubs in Spain and Italy, and if you compare Manchester United and Real Madrid, it is easy to see that United are far more successfully with ten Premier League golds the past two decades while Real Madrid won only seven.
That's also 20 years of doing business. And just because a signing is unknown to the public is certainly doesn't have to be for scouts and managers.
Different now because of how the media has progressed and the internet certainly helps. The Vidic signing wouldn't surprise me as much now if he came from CSKA.

Georgie Best

That is true, it is always best to find an established goalkeeper because experience is so important for goalkeepers in the long run. And Schmeichel had 5 years of experience in the best team in Denmark, Lindegaard is not matching that he only has 2 seasons for Aalesund. That was what Schmeichel tried to say as well, and apart from that Reina plays for the vermins he probably would be the best choice. Ferguson always look for domestic options when available. I think van der Sar had good of those years in Fulham before he joined us as well, and he did not do nearly as well there as he has done for us.

But, I also has to point out that one goalkeeper is probably not enough. Because PIG has said that he is the number one choice when Edwin departs, or he is off. Lindegaard is probably better than PIG. In my opinion Foster is better than PIG too. And again, Edwin van der Sar has not by any means confirmed that he will quit after this season, as a matter a fact he stated the opposite of that earlier this season. I am delighted with having such a talented reserve as Lindegaard behind him, and I think we might have seen PIG's last apperence for Manchester United come January the first.

Cesar and Buffon will be too expensive and might not have too many years left at the top, with Buffon back problems we should rule him out even though he is the most talented goalkeeper in the world. Cesar is only 1.86/ 6ft 1... I'd prefer if he was one or two inches taller. He will be tested harder in the box in England than he will in Italy. The best established goalkeeper to sign in my eyes is either Neuer or Adler. But about 25, but both started early and has years of experience behind them. We should stay out of Spain when looking for a new goalie IMO, because they are not tested in the box at all, something we know will happen in England - that is one of the good arguments for getting a Scandinavian. The best place to look is probably Germany and Italy. If we end up splashing for De Gea, whom is likely based on current media links, I really do think he might struggle keeping Lindegaard behind him. Lindegaard is a potential great goalkeeper... The best in Norway for a very long time.

Suedesi

A big fan of Neuer - despite Schalke shipping 5 against Kaiserslautern, he made some ridiculous saves. Built like a brick, he's a keeper that inspires confidence in me. Adler seems a very talented bloke, but unlucky - injuries and in general (the ball hits the wrong side of the goal far too often if you know what I mean).

Agree with you on DeGea - he may look out of his element in the Premier League.

Drifter

American
Anders Lindegaard insists he has not moved to Manchester United to simply sit on the bench.

The Denmark international keeper will move to England from current club Aalesunds in December, but will not be eligible to play until the transfer window opens.

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson expects Edwin van der Sar to retire from playing at the end of the season and is considering bringing in another keeper after being linked with the likes of Maarten Stekelenburg, Manuel Neuer and David De Gea.

He told VG: "I am not travelling to Manchester to sit on the bench and I feel that I am brought to the club to fight for a place in the starting XI.

"It's obvious that this is a dream. I have followed them since I was a small boy and my father is a big fan.

"For Manchester United, it's a long process to buy players and they have been tremendously careful. I feel they know me better than I do myself."

Rowem

gently, down the stream
With Howard and Foster, they had the ability, but both suffered from a crisis of confidence. For a keeper that's disastrous, and it's something that most young keepers will have to overcome...especially at a club the size of United.

So...I think if Lindegaard is here to be/compete to be no.1, then I would like us to have an experienced alternative option on the bench...a cool head who can come in if needed and not feel the nerves, and essentially be a stop gap option for a couple seasons while Lindegaard attempts to confirm himself as no.1. The other option is letting Lindegaard and Kuszczak fight it out, but that could end up a bit like Howard/Carroll, with both looking over their shoulder and neither holding down the starting spot. The third option is we go and buy a big name keeper. I guess it will depend on how much of an impression Lindegaard makes here before the summer, and also what options are available...

VoetbalWizard

Anders Lindegaard insists he has not moved to Manchester United to simply sit on the bench.

The Denmark international keeper will move to England from current club Aalesunds in December, but will not be eligible to play until the transfer window opens.

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson expects Edwin van der Sar to retire from playing at the end of the season and is considering bringing in another keeper after being linked with the likes of Maarten Stekelenburg, Manuel Neuer and David De Gea.

He told VG: "I am not travelling to Manchester to sit on the bench and I feel that I am brought to the club to fight for a place in the starting XI.

"It's obvious that this is a dream. I have followed them since I was a small boy and my father is a big fan.

"For Manchester United, it's a long process to buy players and they have been tremendously careful. I feel they know me better than I do myself."

Bebe? :D

Welcome to the club anders. hope you do well lad.

Laphroaig

Det finnes noen kritikere som har vært faen så kloke. Nå må det gjøre vondt i baken deres.

Det er forhåpentligvis noen skeptikere som kommer til å sluke noen kameler. Og det vil bli verdens beste følelse.

Jeg skal kjempe til meg førstekeeperplassen. Så skal jeg vise alle at jeg hadde rett.
More quotes in which he attacks his critics. Very peculiar expressions, and hard to translate. They sound better in Danish and Norwegian than in English. "There are some critics who have been fecking wise. Their behinds surely hurt now." "Hopefully some sceptics are going to swallow a camel (this expression probably doesn't exist in English, he means to say that they will bite the bullet.). And it will be the best feeling in the world." "I will fight and become the first choice. Then I will show everyone I was right."

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Swallow a camel? That's class. I'm bringing it to the UK! :)

Laphroaig

Mostly used about politicians who concede something when they bargain. F.ex., you could arguably say the libdems have swallowed a lot of camels.

Eriku

Iuno, I think it may also be swerving in the direction "bite the bullet"?

edit: did a search, found an answer from a the VG language section:

Det er bibelsk (Matt. 23,24), og eksisterer dermed på alle språk som Bibelen er omsett til. På engelsk heiter det "to strain at gnats and swallow camels". Å sile bort myggen og svelge kamelar.
trans.

It's biblical (Matt. 23, 24), and therefore exists in all languages to which the bible has been translated. In English it's called "to strain at gnats and swallow camels".
edit 2.0: I read on and there exists some Norwegian sage advice on how to swallow a camel... You swallow it with the grain :lol:

Eriku

I have a knack for these things ;)

That said, back on topic: hope he's feckin' right.

Whether we paid 3 or 13 million for him will be academic if he turns out to be a no. 1 of sufficient stature for us.

Suedesi

I have a knack for these things ;)

That said, back on topic: hope he's feckin' right.

Whether we paid 3 or 13 million for him will be academic if he turns out to be a no. 1 of sufficient stature for us.

Disagree with the academic part. We are still a club that bleeds a lot of money on interest payments. 10mm here and there adds up, especially as SAF keeps talking about value in the market.

redpie

The "New Schmeichel" who Schmeichel himself says is not good enough for United. I agree with with the Great Dane on this. United need an established proven keeper or a stand-out young talent.
To me it looks we have not improved much on Kuszczak with this signing.

Sir A1ex

The "New Schmeichel" who Schmeichel himself says is not good enough for United. I agree with with the Great Dane on this. United need an established proven keeper or a stand-out young talent.
When it was just Schmeichel who was saying this I wasn't too worried - after all, our manager, scouts etc all thought differently, and I'd trust them before one ex-player.

But now it's Schmeichel and Redpie, I'm getting seriously worried. Why the hell didn't Fergie check with you before wasting our cash?:(