Official: Anders Lindegaard signs for United

Devil may care

Anders will be tested after in games after the new year. If he looks capable of filling in VDS' position then United will look for a deputy, if not then we'll be in the hunt for someone of higher quality. If VDS stays around another year then he and Anders will share the responsibility for season 2011-12.

K seems to be heading for the exit. I can't think he'd be happy playing second fiddle for much longer.
My thoughts exactly, I hope he proves good enough to be #1 and save us a pot load.

Berlinknives

Yeah I thought that right after posting. VDS is a prime example. I suppose it helps, then.
If Edwin's not eccentric, what was he doing taking penalties against De Graafschap?

Okay it was 7-0 Ajax at the time, but still.

Suedesi

That's cheap my friend :D

Btw. We have two Ando's and the young one is my little lovechild (my daughter also like him :nervous:). The other one is your mate... ;)
Cheap? Like Bebe cheap you mean?

United are paying way above mkt price for Lindegaard

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Cheap? Like Bebe cheap you mean?

United are paying way above mkt price for Lindegaard
A young European international goalkeeper who is first choice at his current club ?

I'd say 3.5 million is probably about right. Neither a steal nor extortionate at this moment in time.

Georgie Best

If I had to choose between sleeping with Miss Worl
Brilliant. I believe this is a more talented man than PIG, whom has stated that he is gone if he is not van der Sar's replacement, I think we all know that wont be the case. All I can say about Lindegaard is that he is the best goalkeeper in the Norwegian league, and to be fair is above that level. Now it is time for the big leagues. Good luck Anders.

Suedesi

A young European international goalkeeper who is first choice at his current club ?

I'd say 3.5 million is probably about right. Neither a steal nor extortionate at this moment in time.
Yes, from Norwegian league.

This has mame diouf written all over it

Suedesi

I don't understand some of our latest transfers to be honest... diouf, bebe and now lindegaard. Molde had accepted an offer from a dutch club for about 1/2 of what eventually united paid, bebe was offered across europe for a million euros, and lindegaard might come good, but is overpriced in the context of the norwegian league

Georgie Best

Molde would have sold Mame Biram Diouf for £3m. Even though the deal is undisclosed there is no secret here in Molde that the deal ended up about £5m, United paid way above what Molde expected to get for him, that was the excact words of Sporting Director Tarje Jacbosen from Molde FK. The same man also confirmed that Manchester United could also have signed Eikrem for free, but Molde confirmed that despite of that they received millions (NOK) for him.

I think sending money to the smaller clubs are healthy for football, not the opposite, regardless on how you look at things about £4m is not a expensive player. For United, even though when Molde signed Espen Bugge Pettersen, whom is one of the biggest contenders to Lindegaard for being the best goalkeeper (there weren't really any contest), for only £300,000 one can claim that is is not right that Lindegaard is that much more expensive, I see the logic there. Never the less, Lindegaard will be a good signing.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I don't understand some of our latest transfers to be honest... diouf, bebe and now lindegaard. Molde had accepted an offer from a dutch club for about 1/2 of what eventually united paid, bebe was offered across europe for a million euros, and lindegaard might come good, but is overpriced in the context of the norwegian league
Are you Tor-Kristian Karlsen?
Tor-Kristian Karlsen (karlsentk) on Twitter
can also add mame biram diouf to the list of overpricedees. strong suggestions in norway that molde had practically accepted an offer from a dutch club - for about half of what was paid by man utd - just days before man utd entered the race for the senegalese
i don't think that's the case. the same agent that touted bebe around for 1 million euros, sold him to man utd for lot more
:smirk:

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I can kind of see where you are coming from, but I have always found disscussions with transfer fees a little bit uncomfortable. Mainly because I don't think they matter all that much, the important part is the player and how they perform thereafter a I don't think we are ever going to pay over what we/SAF thinks the player is worth.

I can't articulate it, I just don't think the fee ends up being important for a club like us.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I can kind of see where you are coming from, but I have always found disscussions with transfer fees a little bit uncomfortable. Mainly because I don't think they matter all that much, the important part is the player and how they perform thereafter a I don't think we are ever going to pay over what we/SAF thinks the player is worth.

I can't articulate it, I just don't think the fee ends up being important for a club like us.
I agree completely about the transfer fees, I've made the same point a few times on here, I don't see why fans should give a crap.

Georgie Best

Yes, from Norwegian league.

This has mame diouf written all over it
But here is the question. Are you sure signing a goalkeeper from the Spanish league is that much better for a goalkeeper than Norway?

Among others Wolves, Everton, Stoke, Newcastle, and Blackburn will attack immensely on headers, set pieces, just gang up in the box. Which Spanish club does that. If we sign De Gea, whom seems to be the other goalkeeper that is most linked to us now days. Is he as good as Lindegaard in the box? Because I can tell you that Lindegaard is used to that from the Norwegian league, and he handles it brilliantly. He has also showed for Denmark, especially the game against Portugal that he can handle fast attacking as well. We can spend £20m on De Gea only to see that he cannot handle that at all, if that happens there is no way we will get our money back when dropping him.

£3-4m is nothing for a club like Manchester United whom has revenues of several hundered millions, even if Lindegaard does not make it, we are probably going to recieve about the same amounts that we pay for him if we sell him again, because he will evolve with us. The first six months of his career, hopefully even longer than that he can probably learn a lot from Edwin van der Sar.

I am confident that Lindegaard is a better goalkeeper than PIG and that this is a great signing, regardless if he is van der Sars replacement or not.

edit: and on Mame Birams case, looking how he does at Blackburn, there are very little doubt that he is a Premier League quality player? If we sell him again we will get our money back, if he evolves further he got the physical skills to become a brilliant footballer.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Has the fee for Lindegaard even be released? How can it be claimed he's overpriced if not? :confused:

People only manage to find fault with the fees if the player isn't the player they really wanted. If we signed Messi for £200m most people wouldn't be whining about the price.

Georgie Best

Has the fee for Lindegaard even be released? How can it be claimed he's overpriced if not? :confused:

People only manage to find fault with the fees if the player isn't the player they really wanted. If we signed Messi for £200m most people wouldn't be whining about the price.
Probably not :p It still would have been a retarded thing to do.

Norwegian media says between £3- and £4 million.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I'm not writing him off but I see his glass as half empty rather than half full. Not that it matters because he's going to be the 2nd choice keeper.
His CV just isn't good. He doesn't even have good recommendations. All signs point to backup keeper.

Ekeke

Better than PIG, so at least we wont gamble on PIG being number 1. I'm happy enough with that for the time being.

If he isnt good enough to be our number 1 we'll be able to make that distinction before the summer where we can make more substantial transfers.

Suedesi

I'm not writing him off but I see his glass as half empty rather than half full. Not that it matters because he's going to be the 2nd choice keeper.
His CV just isn't good. He doesn't even have good recommendations. All signs point to backup keeper.
If Schmeichel can say he's not Man Utd quality, that'd be probably accurate.

Georgie Best

Chances are if people haven't seen him, he's not good enough...

Works both ways mate.
There are several Norwegians and Danes in here mate, all whom have seen him. Most of them has nothing but good things to say about him. This is a brilliant signing.

All one really can say is that he is too good for Norway and needs to move on. He has to be the best goalkeeper in Norway since Thordstvedt... Whom went on to become one of the worlds best goalkeepers, alsp in the Premier League, and the level of the Norwegian league was lower back then than it is now.

MalteseRedDevil

These deals can go either way. He may turn out to be the next Great Dane or he may become the next tim howard. We can only wait and see..

Devilton

Welcome to United Anders. Hope you have a great career at one of the biggest clubs in the world. I have my doubts and would have preferred someone else but you're one of us now so i guess you should be given the chance to succeed. Hope you prove me wrong and become the second great Dane to stand in goal for us.

December_16

Foster was anything but disastrous. He just didn't have that X factor to make it a No 1 United, but still a damn fine keeper.

Back to Lindegaard, very excited to see what this lad has to offer. With Fergie's recent record of low-key signings, who knows, he might turn out to be the signing of the century!

VoetbalWizard

Foster was anything but disastrous. He just didn't have that X factor to make it a No 1 United, but still a damn fine keeper.

Back to Lindegaard, very excited to see what this lad has to offer. With Fergie's recent record of low-key signings, who knows, he might turn out to be the signing of the century!
the lad shit himself anytime the ball came back to his feet. in the modern game even keepers need some modicum of technique on the ball as it is immensely helpful to relieve pressure. foster had bricks for feet. he didn't have the x factor to be the number 1, 2 or 3 keeper. feck, ben amos when he's played a couple times for us looks more composed than foster ever did.

December_16

the lad shit himself anytime the ball came back to his feet. in the modern game even keepers need some modicum of technique on the ball as it is immensely helpful to relieve pressure. foster had bricks for feet. he didn't have the x factor to be the number 1, 2 or 3 keeper. feck, ben amos when he's played a couple times for us looks more composed than foster ever did.
For a second I thought you were talking about Lindegaard here.

Anyway, I agree that Foster is not the best distributor of the ball, but he was not as bad as you described him here. Saying he cant make No 2 or 3 at United is absolutely ridiculous though, because he totally can. It's just that he knows he's probably not good enough to be No 1, so he left to try it somewhere else, for the sake of his club and international career. If he chose to stay instead, right now he's probably sitting on the bench instead of PIG or Amos.

WireRed

Why is his current league where he plies his trade being used as evidence he's "not good enough" and all that unfounded nonsense? Not every signing a club makes has to be from Serie A, Bundesliga, La Liga, or a fellow Premier League club to be a success. In fact, when was the last time we signed an established player from one of the percieved established league's outside our own? We'd have to hark back to Hargreaves and the previous one to that Quinton Fortune, and both hardly proved shrewd buys did/have they?

It's absolute nonsense and FM logic as far as I can see.

To address a point I made earlier in the thread which was questioned by a couple of people...assuming this guy is the business, who on earth worth his salt is going to come here and play second fiddle? Certainly not the type the caf craves and who's profile demands No.1 status and the ridiculous salary to go with it. Besides, if you don't promote your young talent, keepers in particular, how are you going to further their education as player's and hopefully blood them into the team? The answer is you can't unless you show trust in them and promote from within. That's why even if Kuszczak goes, I don't see a need to buy another GK if Lindegaard is deemed good enough which based on us signing him, he is regarded that way.

Amir

I can see why people would have issues with big fees, but who cares if we payed 2.5m, 3m or 4m for Lindegaard? Looks like a bit of nitpicking.

Someone here asked if we can promote Amos to number 2 keeper. Definitely not. We'll see how things look in the summer, after we've seen Lindegaard for us. I suspect PIG will be gone by then and the rest will depende on VDS.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I don't think he's been brought here to become a back-up, he will be given a chance. We wouldn't spoil a career of international Danish keeper by signing him and benching him for two or three years, it's very unlike us.

Kuszczak, for instance, has been a back-up goalkeeper for all of his career bar one year at West Brom - even West Brom signed him as a back-up goalie at the time and only promoted him because Hoult had gone poor. For him a brief spell as a second goalkeeper at United wasn't really ruining anything because he basically had no career prior to that at all, he was never even considered as a first-team material for Polish national team.

Here we got a goalkeeper who improved so much over the last couple of years that he got promoted to Danish first team, and apparently he's done well for them too. There'd be no point signing him if we weren't going to play him.

I hope he'll have a more solid defence in front of him next season because that's crucial for his confidence, if we surround him with the crap we've had so far this season - particularly at the beginning - then I doubt he'll make it him, nor would De Gea or any other keeper. For van der Sar it's not much of a problem that his defenders go nuts on a regular basis because he's seen that before and he's established himself as a world class keeper, for young goalkeeper with basically no experience at this level it'd be very stressful and would put way too much pressure, therefore I think it's essential that we sort our defence out before we give a run to any new goalkeeper.