OFFICIAL: Carrick to extend contract for a further year

William Hill

His legs are gone.. We should have done the smart thing and let him go. Disappointing news :/

Terminator

Great news! Delighted he is going to stay for one more year.

Still the best passer of the ball at this club and he's 34 FFS

baanke laal

banned
Carrick deserves to retire at the club, if that's what he wants to do. As long as he's happy to accept whatever role the manager has for him, he's earned that right. Carrick should be considered as one of best central midfielders of the premier league era, consistently quality for 10+ years and won a lot of titles along the way. He has been a model professional. Should see out this year and then move onto some kind of coaching role in the club.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
good news

I hope we've learnt from last season about not cutting everyone out at the same time without adequately replacing them

Munkehboi

Delighted that he is staying one more season. I think he still contributes so much to our forward passing game from deep. His composure and experience will be vital.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Good news. Still our best midfielder as it stands.

marlowe78

Glad he is staying with the club but it needs to be a very limited role. Maybe holding onto him for coaching?

dann496

This is good news. Yes Carrick isn't what he used to be but he is our old veterans with calm head and I imagine Mou will like to have on his side esp during Mou first season which Carrick will be essential to be the bridge between the manager and players.

Good decision

rollingstoned1

Pleased with this news. We need the experience now more than ever which is why the likes of Carrick and Rooney won't be binned just yet, in the right kind of team he can still contribute a lot. Another year of one of Fergie's best midfield signings.

Unlikely lad

He's just had his worst season for us, which is weird considering out playing style under LVG.

Hopefully he'll find some form under José

Robertd0803

Carrick deserves to retire at the club, if that's what he wants to do. As long as he's happy to accept whatever role the manager has for him, he's earned that right. Carrick should be considered as one of best central midfielders of the premier league era, consistently quality for 10+ years and won a lot of titles along the way. He has been a model professional. Should see out this year and then move onto some kind of coaching role in the club.
Great points, couldn't agree more.

settembrini

He doesn't deserve it and should have been let go. Looked absolutely terrible at times last season.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Someone said in the other thread that doing this would by itself make them turn again Mourinho.

FAO whoever that person was - HAHAHA!!!!

LR7

Fantastic. The news I've been hoping for :D

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
Mourinho got rid of Lampard from Chelsea, nothing will be done for the sake of sentiment.
Exactly my same thoughts. I thought he had some pretty good games this last season. Obviously he can't play every game anymore but I'm sure Jose has seen what he can bring to the squad and he will certainly draw out all the best that is left in Carrick as he did from the older players in his CL winning Inter team. You can't overestimate the importance of having such experience around for the kids in the dressing room and on the training ground.

And to those with a short memory who think he doesn't deserve it, this is not Real Madrid, we treat our club greats with respect, he deserves it for his long-standing service to United. I was one of those who thought Jose was wrong to let Lampard go, maybe, just maybe he's actually learning from his past mistakes!

Reactions: Invictus

ariel

Great. Still has it in him and can add loads of experience.
I don't expect him to play every game, but managed well he will be an important piece of the puzzle.

By the way, was surprised to read the other week that one of his sprints during the end of the season was one of our top 20 fastest sprints (not 20 players, 20 sprints).

Shiva87

Great news! This one is going to be very important to us next season. If Mou thinks that Rooney is past it, Rooney, Schweinsteiger and Carrick can do a work share in midfield. I doubt the other two will be sold either.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He wont be a regular starter but he can still do a job when called upon. We have a young squad and it can also help to have someone senior in the squad

Smores

Good news, I don't think he's beyond a return to form under a new manager.

I doubt he'll be a first team player but he can still contribute to the squad if managed correctly.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Its seems that the old guard are entitled of at least 1 year of piggy banking on our club.

Shimo

Surely this means Bastian is a goner!
I think more likely the younger mids like Herrera, Fellaini and even Schneiderlin would go first. Basti doesn't have long left on his contract and probably harder to move.

As for Carrick - I know people say he isn't a "leader" type but, not all leaders need to be the ones that scream and shout. He isn't a Keane like guy where his playing with real gusto will pick up others however, there is a lot to be said about the flip side in calming things down, talking to young players and keeping players grounded - which Carrick seems to bring in abundance.

Carrick I think we will be quite useful in games where we expect teams to sit back and not press us and I feel with Mourinho he will be a lot more perceptive on when to play Carrick and/or a Scwheiny unlike when both were played against Arsenal earlier in the season when it was obvious we could be overrun there.

Shark

@NotShark
I don't know how I feel about this. Depends what his role is I suppose, if we don't bring in at least one marquee midfielder I'll be worried.

FacerTheRed

Brilliant news! I was worried Mourinho was going to come in and clean house but he is really proving me wrong and is respecting the squad he has at the moment by giving the young players like Rashford and Borthwick-Jackson their contracts and the seniors like Carrick who I defiantly wont be expecting to play every game but still can do some good service and fill in as squad player.