Official: Phil Jones will leave United at the end of the season

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
There's kids out there who are about to get their first professional contract and a knee injury which ends their career and dreams. I'm supposed to feel sorry for a guy whose done the square root of feck all for a 110k a week? My heart bleeds.
You sir, are a clear representative of what's wrong with humanity.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
There's kids out there who are about to get their first professional contract and a knee injury which ends their career and dreams. I'm supposed to feel sorry for a guy whose done the square root of feck all for a 110k a week? My heart bleeds.
Having holes drilled in your bones and trying all the treatments he could is the square root of feck all these days? Embarrassing “United” fans

Sviken

I recommend going on youtube and watching the 'under the cosh' episode with Malcolm Christie. You might learn to have some empathy with players having their career ruined by injuries
His career wasn't really ruined in a certain sense, though, was it? It's not like he was forced to retire at 23 or something. He's been on a paid medical leave until 31 - basically the end of most players careers.
Thank god some of you weren’t around for Robbo, you’d have shipped him off to the Travellers yard for stealing a living
Yeah... Robson and Phil Jones. That's an accurate comparison :wenger:

Constable Odo

You sir, are a clear representative of what's wrong with humanity.
Yeah because questioning a player who has milked United for years for tens of millions of £ is all that's wrong with humanity, not Putin, not Assad, not Kim Jong, people who don't feel sorry for Phil Jones are the serious problem for humanity.

I'll puke if this guy gets a heroic send off on the field when legends like Keane and Rio never did.

delerium

Jones has been lucky in that sense that he's had a contract during these terrible injuries - to ease off the financial pain, but that doesn't negate the fact that he's been very unlucky to not be able to fulfill his career and probably had to fight a very long stretch of mental hardness as well. Most these people complaining are probably very young and can't fully get a grasp of it yet, but you should just hope that you won't encounter long-term health issues that includes getting constant medication to pains that can lead to addictions of not so happy kind.

Money doesn't buy you happiness, otherwise you would never see rock stars dying to suicides or overdoses... most complainers here think that just because he was paid well, everything is okay.

I've personally been recovering from a surgery for a year now and it's been very difficult and I've tried to avoid most of the toughest medicine just because of the horrid side effects from the long term use to be able to go back to normal, I can relate a bit here, thing is it would suck as much as it does now even if I was super rich.

Last edited:

RedDevilRoshi

Judging by some of the comments on here and on Twitter, you’d think Phil Jones has had a similar or worser damaging impact at this club in the same way the Glazers have brought. It isn’t even on a comparable scale.

bosskeano

Posts like this remind of what’s wrong with humanity. Well done
the whole saga for him is both odd and unfortunate....he was early on a brilliant defender and then yes his body just gave out. honestly, he signed a contract and the club gave him a contract that he had every right to see fulfilled. i think at the same time most fans think at some point he should have just got his contract bought up full well knowing he'd never play again.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Shame his body just couldn't do it. On the rare occasions he could play in the last few years he actually performed surprisingly well for someone who should've been so rusty. He never seemed to lose his professionalism despite the ever decreasing likelihood it was ever gonna happen for him.
No, you feck off.
Really think it should be you.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Pathetic

clarkydaz

You're right, that was his last appearance. Was on the bench a few times in the games after, but never came on and then vanished from view again. Seemed strange he never got another chance, he did well in that game and amazingly well considering his situation.
He started at Anfield for Ralph, after the good Wolves performance

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Guess your 8 year wait will go on then.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Earning money doesn't mean somebody is happy and healthy.

RedDevilRoshi

Have you had a similar experience to Phil in terms of the sheer number of injuries that have had a lasting, damaging impact on your body resulting in your physical, mental & emotional health taking a massive hit? Anytime you fell you are on the verge of recovery, your body plays up again and it puts all your progress back to square one yet again on countless occasions. Surgery after surgery which I couldn’t imagine going through. Because if you haven’t then your post is just beyond laughable to put it nicely.

How much money you earn means Jack shit when you don’t have your health and your body gives up on you resulting in you not able do the job you’ve worked your whole childhood life for. Money doesn’t guarantee happiness.

If you still need some more education on the damaging impact long term injuries can have on players then listen to the following for some real home truths on the damaging impact it can do to any professional athlete:

https://play.acast.com/s/undrcosh/malcolm-christie-part-2-broken-dreams

https://www.nutmegmagazine.co.uk/podcast/player-take-over-michael-devlin-tommie-hoban-pt-2/

Withnail

Good luck Phil.

It sounds like he's been through absolute hell with those surgeries and recovery. The injuries were an awful shame. For years he was our best defender whenever he did get on the pitch.

Tiber

I haven't got a bad word to say about Phil Jones. Great player who had his career decimated by injury.

Ted Lasso

Thanks for the memories Phil - good, bad and hilarious. Wish for his and United's sake the career wasn't filled with injuries but such is pro sports.

clarkydaz

Gave everything he had for the limited time he could play. More than can be said for some of the shower that have played last few years

OrcaFat

I’ve had the displeasure of reading some ignorant dogshit comments on twitter or some social media “thing” criticising him for not “taking the opportunity” to leave and play more football instead of “choosing the paycheque”.

Do they really not know he’s been injured. If ever he was fit enough to leave the club, he was actually in contention to play for us. But for injury he would have been a regular here and when he was injured he had no chance of being taken on by another club.

The whole saga has been very sad and I just hope he can keep his chin up. I thank him for the good performances and for the laughter he gave us.

Blackbeard

Supports
Bristol City
It's been clear for a long time that he had no future here irrespective of injuries. A player who wanted to play regularly would have moved on to try and get a fresh start and cement themselves somewhere else.
I doubt he thought he had no future at the club. He was probably working as hard as he could behind the scenes to get better. What would you expect him to rip up his contract and try to move somewhere while injured?

I doubt he thought he had no future at the club. He was probably working as hard as he could behind the scenes to get better. What would you expect him to rip up his contract and try to move somewhere while injured?
I know it seems like he was always injured but it wasn't the case. He did string together months and even years when he wasn't, but invariably he was shite and wouldn't get picked. It was these times when a different character would have moved on, like Smalling did.

OrcaFat

I know it seems like he was always injured but it wasn't the case. He did string together months and even years when he wasn't, but invariably he was shite and wouldn't get picked. It was these times when a different character would have moved on, like Smalling did.
When he was fit he was in contention. Often described as the best defender at the club.

Blackbeard

Supports
Bristol City
I don’t remember him being consistently shit. He always seemed to put in a shift if memory serves. I am getting older though so maybe looking through rose tinted spectacles!

When he was fit he was in contention. Often described as the best defender at the club.
When he had been out injured for a while he was.

The story usually went as follows. Whilst injured he was hyped and hyped as the next Duncan Edwards and so on. When he came back he would put in a solid performance that would be described as spectacular. Within a couple of games of that he would have an absolute howler and get dropped. Then he would get injured in training, and we'd be back to step 1.

Blackbeard

Supports
Bristol City
When he had been out injured for a while he was.

The story usually went as follows. Whilst injured he was hyped and hyped as the next Duncan Edwards and so on. When he came back he would put in a solid performance that would be described as spectacular. Within a couple of games of that he would have an absolute howler and get dropped. Then he would get injured in training, and we'd be back to step 1.
I think he was only described as the next Duncan Edwards once by Fergie when he was first signed. Nobody else said it since.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Some fecking horrible cnuts in this thread. The lad gave his all for us and had his career destroyed by injuries. Nothing more to it. Hope he can find some play time at the end of his career now.

miked99

He started at Anfield for Ralph, after the good Wolves performance
Yeah you're right, my mistake. Worst thing about that is I actually looked it up before posting, but read up the list instead of down :lol:

He made three more partial appearances in April and May, the Liverpool one you mentioned being the first of them. Of all the games to get dropped back into the team, three months later!

His last appearance was in fact as a late sub in the 3-0 home win against Brentford. At least it ended on a good note.

Sviken

I think he was only described as the next Duncan Edwards once by Fergie when he was first signed. Nobody else said it since.
With all due respect to Fergie, I don't think he ever watched Duncan Edwards play

RedStarUnited

Have you had a similar experience to Phil in terms of the sheer number of injuries that have had a lasting, damaging impact on your body resulting in your physical, mental & emotional health taking a massive hit? Anytime you fell you are on the verge of recovery, your body plays up again and it puts all your progress back to square one yet again on countless occasions. Surgery after surgery which I couldn’t imagine going through. Because if you haven’t then your post is just beyond laughable to put it nicely.

How much money you earn means Jack shit when you don’t have your health and your body gives up on you resulting in you not able do the job you’ve worked your whole childhood life for. Money doesn’t guarantee happiness.

If you still need some more education on the damaging impact long term injuries can have on players then listen to the following for some real home truths on the damaging impact it can do to any professional athlete:

https://play.acast.com/s/undrcosh/malcolm-christie-part-2-broken-dreams

https://www.nutmegmagazine.co.uk/podcast/player-take-over-michael-devlin-tommie-hoban-pt-2/
Two things can be right.

Yes he has suffered a lot, but he has also been lucky enough to earn 20m+ throughout his suffering. A large majority of people would take the 4 years of suffering to earn £20m - rightly or wrongly.

That’s complete and utter bollox.
We have played 671 games since he signed. He has been injured for 205 of them. He has not been selected for 237. That is not a player who was in regular contention.

ArbeitervonWien

Wish him all the best. Was so excited when we signed him. In his first season with us, I loved how he carried the ball up the field. I was convinced he would be a very special player sometime.

Read the first couple of comments on Twitter under his post. What is this shit, it's nauseating. You sometimes gotta hate the internet for turning out the worst in people.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
We have played 671 games since he signed. He has been injured for 205 of them. He has not been selected for 237. That is not a player who was in regular contention.
You can’t build a defence around a player who is chronically unable to stay fit, so it’s understandable he slipped down the pecking order. The “complete and utter bollox” bit of your post was the notion that he was “invariably shite” when he actually had plenty of good performances. He even established functional partnerships at various times. The “Rojones” centre back pairing being one obvious example (and Rojo really was a borderline liability) Trying to paint him as someone who was only ever shite makes even less sense when you consider his last ever performance for the club, when he was one of the best players on the pitch.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The inability for some people on here to see things from someone else’s perspective never ceases to amaze me. So much judgement and no empathy without ever knowing the full details of something.

He’s probably had some incredibly dark days where he just went home and cried after another gruelling day of physio away from his family. So many operations, failed comebacks, people mocking him, etc…

His contract was on the club. Can you blame him for never giving up on his dream club? If I got sick and couldn’t work I would still take my pay, and I would expect them to look after me. It’s what happens in life and if you’ve made a commitment to someone you honour it.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The inability for some people on here to see things from someone else’s perspective never ceases to amaze me. So much judgement and no empathy without ever knowing the full details of something.

He’s probably had some incredibly dark days where he just went home and cried after another gruelling day of physio away from his family. So many operations, failed comebacks, people mocking him, etc…

His contract was on the club. Can you blame him for never giving up on his dream club? If I got sick and couldn’t work I would still take my pay, and I would expect them to look after me. It’s what happens in life and if you’ve made a commitment to someone you honour it.
Not to mention that the “someone” he committed to was the club he was desperate to play for above all others. Which is apparently just another reason to shit on him for fans of that club. Go figure.