OFFICIAL: Premier League, EFL, Women's Super League, Women's Championship and UEFA club competitions postponed

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

FA statement
The FA, Premier League, EFL and FA Women’s Super League and FA Women’s Championship have collectively agreed to postpone the professional game in England until Friday 3 April at the earliest.

This action, which will be kept under constant review, has been taken due to the increasing numbers of clubs taking steps to isolate their players and staff because of the Covid-19 virus.

It will also apply to all England team fixtures at every level and all FA competitions including the Emirates FA Cup and the Women’s FA Cup, along with academy and youth-team matches.

UEFA statement
In the light of developments due to the spread of COVID-19 in Europe and related decisions made by different governments, all UEFA club competitions matches scheduled next week are postponed.

This includes the remaining UEFA Champions League, Round of 16 second leg matches scheduled on 17 and 18 March 2020; all UEFA Europa League, Round of 16 second leg matches scheduled on 19 March 2020; all UEFA Youth League, quarter-final matches scheduled on 17 and 18 March 2020.

Further decisions on when these matches take place will be communicated in due course.

As a consequence of the postponements, the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League quarter-final draws scheduled for 20 March have also been postponed.
Other 'major' leagues that have been postponed (please post links to statements by 'major' leagues not listed below so I can add to OP):
Ligue 1 (France)
League of Ireland (Ireland, surprisingly)
Serie A (Italy)
Eredivisie (Netherlands)
Primeira Liga (Portugal)
La Liga (Spain)
Major League Soccer (USA)

CONCACAF Champions League

Bundesliga is still carrying on but behind closed doors. Might change as Ligue 1's suspension was announced not long ago.

Last edited:

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Is 4th April confirmed?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Makes sense. Hopefully things calm down in a month but I feel like itll be late summer when we actually manage to finish the season. Definitely think the course of action will be to finish the season though, and everything gets offset (transfer window, next season, etc).

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Quite why the FA/Premier League had to drag their heels so much is beyond me, this should have been announced at the beginning of the week.

TheReligion

Abusive
Makes sense. Hopefully things calm down in a month but I feel like itll be late summer when we actually manage to finish the season. Definitely think the course of action will be to finish the season though, and everything gets offset (transfer window, next season, etc).
How can they offset all that? Impossible.

It will be cancelled

TheOx

Supports
Liverpool
Guessing the word 'void' will only be considered in the future depending on the situation.

You guys will have to put up with us being champions for a little while still.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Guessing the word 'void' will only be considered in the future depending on the situation.

We don’t want the season voided, we have a lot to win ourselves.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
How can they offset all that? Impossible.

It will be cancelled
As it should be,

Only correct decision for fairness is to cancel this season, it's not right that players get back from injury or certain teams like Chelsea have to quarantine players for weeks, the playing field is not level now.

TheReligion

Abusive
This date, if confirmed, would be a joke. Do you think really that in so few days all will be ok? We will have problems for months.
It will be reviewed then but won't come back on.

It's the sensible way to announce it. Not a joke at all.

Nickosaur

It's not all about you mate.

Kostur

海尔的老板

Nope, you've already been knocked out of CL, irrespective of the virus and at the same time it's not mathematically impossible for you to lose every single one match in the league and for City to win them all and retain the title. In the other words, sorry, but you ain't a champ of shit.

Yagami

Good post resistant

Oh, you're the guy from the let's laugh at Liverpool thread.

OleBoiii

It's expected to peak in 2-3 months. Even if the Euros get cancelled, it's not gonna work out.

I will be exciting to see what they do now. For me there is only possible one solution: the whole thing gets scrapped. No one wins, no one gets relegated. It sucks for Pool and sucks for us, but that's how it's gonna be.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Had to be done, but such a shame everything looks up in the air. This will have a bad knock-on effect for football everywhere.

Jimble

Over 65s Team Player
It's expected top peak in 2 months. Even if the Euros get cancelled, there's not gonna work out.

I will be exciting to see what they do now. For me there is only possible one solution: the whole thing gets scrapped. No one wins, no one gets relegated. It sucks for Pool and sucks for us, but that's how it's gonna be.
that's not what they did when they abandoned the Chilean league. The team in front was awarded the league. No relegations or promotions happened

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Chilean_Primera_División

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
The season may be over. Yesterday the Chief Scientific Officer and the Chief Medical Officer of this country were saying the peak of the infection is three months away. If you go by that by April more people will be sick than are sick now, and the coronavirus will still be spreading. I can't see any way that a few week break is going to make everything alright. The only way this season will be able to end is if the national associations and UEFA make a deal to continue playing the season into summer and sack off the Euros.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.

If you mean Champions of Europe, then technically yes - if the CL gets cancelled, you remain Champions of Europe.

If you mean anything else - emphatic no I'm afraid, as you've won nothing else in recent times.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
It's expected to peak in 2 months. Even if the Euros get cancelled, it's not gonna work out.

Wouldn't suck too much for us. We would be able to write off the relegation form shit show that was August-November.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

You'll be champions regardless. You won it months back. Can't wait for the new season. That's where it's at now.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Only sensible sollution, unfortunately.

As for the PL, they’re going to use the next couple of weeks to figure out what to do with the remainder of the season if things stay like this for a while. Glad it’s not up to me as I’m struggling to think of a deal that’s fair to everyone.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
The right call.

Sucks for us as we were playing Spurs at the right time, but this is way more important then football.