Republic Of Ireland Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Jaysus. Patty having a bit of a mare in here.

In other news, England in Wembley, eh? That would be a good spot for us to find our feet. The pessimist/ Irishman in me Hope's we don't get a whooping. That would certainly not be helpful for Kenny.

Champagne Football

Never ONCE said they couldn't, its just I dont see them as Irish and yes, the cutting the throat, well that goes both ways now doesn't it.
So it's okay for you to support an English team, but it's not okay for Raheem Sterling or John Barnes to play for England? Or Patrick Viera to play for France? Or Mahrez to play for Algeria?

Footy van de Geek

I'm not expecting this one to go well at all.

Seeing as it's a friendly Southgate might actually put out a decent team.
Not the ideal friendly to be taking on when your initial results haven't gone your way. We have a proud record against England over the past few decades.

England's B team beat Wales very comfortably only recently, so I think we'll be on the end of something similar tonight.

I wish Kenny would experiment with a back 5 system tonight. It suits all of our defenders (particularly Stevens and Doherty).

I'd play McClean because he will be well up for this. :lol: Normally, I would be opting for Brady at LWB with Stevens out. Or for Manning to make his debut.

Collins probably deserves to start up front if we're going by form.

Maguire-------Idah

Hourihane----------------Hendrick
McCarthy
McClean------------------------------------------------------------Doherty
Egan-----------Duffy--------Coleman

Randolph

Bestietom

Me and the missus moved over here to London during the Irish and global turndown back in 2008. One child at the time, was only 2, missus was pregnant, so second child was born here in London. She's been more passionate about her Irishness than I would have ever expected, mainly because of the feeling of representing your heritage and family in a much more diverse setup. Her parents are both Irish, her brother is Irish, her grand parents, aunts, uncles, cousins are all Irish, safe to say she can consider herself Irish. I have found living abroad that Irish and if you like '2nd and even 3rd generation' Irish are in general even more passionate with regards to their Irish heritage.

You are probably too young to appreciate what Jack Charlton and his team of passionate Irish men did for the whole country during the late 80's and 90's. I'll judge everyone on how they represent the country. James Connolly?
Good man. Up Wexford

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I have a few friends who I grew up with in West Wales who were born to Irish parents and they consider themselves fully Irish. Support Ireland in the rugby and football, don’t consider themselves Welsh in the slightest. Would be a bit weird to turn around and negate their experiences and outlook to label them as a nationality they have no affinity with over one they love as much as anyone.

Champagne Football

James McCarthy not playing due to family reasons?

Good to have another look at Idah up front. O'Dowda too hopefully can build from his impressive performance last time round. This Kenny project is gonna be long and painful before we start seeing progress but happy to give him time and see if he can implement a new identity.

Last edited:

Footy van de Geek

James McCarthy not turning up due to 'Family Reasons'!!:houllier:. The bloke is about as committed to Ireland as Ozil is to tracking back for Arsenal.

Kenny will need to realize that if you pick players who don't want to fight for the jersey, then you won't last too long in the job.

Good to have another look at Idah up front. O'Dowda too hopefully can build from his impressive performance last time round. This Kenny project is gonna be long and painful before we start seeing progress but happy to give him time and see if he can implement a new identity.
I‘m fully behind this new era and agree that it will take time. Lots of U21 payers to integrate over the next few years.

But some shocking selections tonight! England should batter us.

• Christie at LB. Could have played McClean or Dara O’Shea at LB.
  • O’Dowda fits the profile that Kenny is looking from his RW, but has just recently gotten back into the Bristol side
  • Browne and Horgan starting over Molumby and McClean/Brady

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Aye wtf is James McCarthy doing thinking about his father who has battled cancer for years and is ill when he’s got a completely meaningless friendly to be playing in. :rolleyes:

And Molumby’s most recent football has been an absolutely embarrassing showing at u23s level. Browne is better than him so it’s an easy answer why he’s playing over him.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
I‘m fully behind this new era and agree that it will take time. Lots of U21 payers to integrate over the next few years.

But some shocking selections tonight! England should batter us.

• Christie at LB. Could have played McClean or Dara O’Shea at LB.
  • O’Dowda fits the profile that Kenny is looking from his RW, but has just recently gotten back into the Bristol side
  • Browne and Horgan starting over Molumby and McClean/Brady
I don't think those are shocking selections O'Dowda has brought plenty in his last couple of games, hechad injury and Covid issues at his club, no? Browne too has done well under Kenny and Molumby despite the promise isn't nailed on yet. McClean at left back? Against England? He may not make half time! Cyrus wouldn't fill you with confidence but at least he's an actual defender.

Kenny has had a shocking run of luck. Good luck to them tonight. You never know, it could be one of the great nights.

Champagne Football

Aye wtf is James McCarthy doing thinking about his father who has battled cancer for years and is ill when he’s got a completely meaningless friendly to be playing in. :rolleyes:

And Molumby’s most recent football has been an absolutely embarrassing showing at u23s level. Browne is better than him so it’s an easy answer why he’s playing over him.
If that is the exact reason then absolutely any player should take time off, but no reason has been given in the media. Just seems he doesn't have the kind of desire required that all the great Irish teams of times gone by has had.

Anyways I am not too bothered. If McCarthy wants to do a Roy Keane and only turn up for qualifier games, then I am all for it if his heart is in it and he is putting in good performances, but from his track record of commitment and high level performances, I won't hold my breath.

Last edited:

Withnail

I was about to look up what the issue was. Perfectly understandable to bow out tonight.

I agree Molumby hasn't really impressed and Browne has looked good when he's come in. Hopefully he plays well tonight.

This England team could do damage if they click though.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Wonder what odds you'd get on McClean to come on, score, and get sent off.

Oranges038

The squad is thin and based on the players available the backline is probably about the best line up he could have picked.

Midfield: good to see what Browne can do over 90 mins. Brady's legs are shot, and he's not fit to play wide from the start and a wise move to leave McClean out, friendly or not this is a game where he could get himself sent off.

Upfront? Hardly blessed with options at the minute, will be interesting to see how Idah does.

Hoping for a good performance and showing more progress in Kenny's style of play, needs these games to get the players used to it.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
If that is the exact reason then absolutely any player should take time off, but no reason has been given in the media. You compare the commitment to some of the other lads in the squad, McClean, Egan, Duffy, Hendrick - players who you'd almost expect would try and play with an injury just so they can pull the jersey on every time.
Does the father of those players have cancer?

Deery

Dreary
We’ll be lucky to get a shot on target all game, who’ll be the first to kick Grealish?

Oranges038

James McCarthy not playing due to family reasons?

Family reasons would suggest that something serious has happened to a member of his family.

Footy van de Geek

I don't think those are shocking selections O'Dowda has brought plenty in his last couple of games, hechad injury and Covid issues at his club, no? Browne too has done well under Kenny and Molumby despite the promise isn't nailed on yet. McClean at left back? Against England? He may not make half time! Cyrus wouldn't fill you with confidence but at least he's an actual defender.

Kenny has had a shocking run of luck. Good luck to them tonight. You never know, it could be one of the great nights.
I like O’Dowda, but wouldn’t be playing him ahead of Brady who has the same profile with extra quality and far more internatonal experience.

Browne cost Kenny with his finishing only recently. Championship player.

You do realise that McClean has played LB/LWB quite a bit for Stoke? Here’s hoping McClean does get sent off. I have a fiver on it!

Champagne Football

Duffy defo not the player he was. He's barely getting a game at Celtic.

Randolph very hit and miss too. Should have dealt with that Sancho shot.

Pity because we played some lovely stuff in first 15 mins

Red00012

Duffy defo not the player he was. He's barely getting a game at Celtic.

Randolph very hit and miss too. Should have dealt with that Sancho shot.

Pity because we played some lovely stuff in first 15 mins
Duffy been on the bench for the last 2 games , he was playing up until them .

He’s had a nightmare of a half though

Status
Not open for further replies.