Republic Of Ireland Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Withnail

Its a bit confusing. He played a whole game so anyone on that pitch could have been exposed.

When was he tested that he didnt have a negative test before the match? It seems very messy
It's ridiculous. One of the other teams, can't remember which one, were tested before they left their home country but only got the results after their game and low and behold at least one of the had tested positive.

International football probably just needs knocking on the head til the vaccine is sorted.

EDIT: somehow Browne has no close contacts (how does that work?) according to the FAI and the rest of the squad tested negative so all good for Wales.

SirMarcusRashford

Aren’t football players tested all the time? How and why was Browne not tested before the game yesterday by the FAI?

Some questions need to be asked here by the FA towards the FAI, someone with covid is potentially a walking bomb and this is a guy who shared a pitch less than 24 hours ago with some of the most expensive players in world football.

Withnail

Aren’t football players tested all the time? How and why was Browne not tested before the game yesterday by the FAI?

Some questions need to be asked here by the FA towards the FAI, someone with covid is potentially a walking bomb and this is a guy who shared a pitch less than 24 hours ago with some of the most expensive players in world football.
As far as I know, they would have been tested before the game.

I don't know how frequently they are tested but they can't test them every hour.

Regardless of how often they are tested, there will still be a case where you are negative on one test and positive on the next.

Oranges038

Expensive players, may be the wrong choice of words there. If you said over rated/ over paid you might have been right to some extent.

All the players are tested before in line with protocols, it's why he played and Callum Robinson did not. They are a fairly incompetent bunch, but I doubt the FAI would willingly put a player out in a pointless game if they did fail a test.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
It's ridiculous. One of the other teams, can't remember which one, were tested before they left their home country but only got the results after their game and low and behold at least one of the had tested positive.

International football probably just needs knocking on the head til the vaccine is sorted.

EDIT: somehow Browne has no close contacts (how does that work?) according to the FAI and the rest of the squad tested negative so all good for Wales.
Its bonkers. Laboured breathing when running.
Shouting. Sharp exhales when heading..... all aerosol producing

But as they say on Twitter no Irish player got near any of the English lads last night :lol: :lol:

SirMarcusRashford

Expensive players, may be the wrong choice of words there. If you said over rated/ over paid you might have been right to some extent.
No what i said is right, the world's most expensive CB was on the pitch last night, £100m+ Sancho (figures being talked about in the summer) was on the pitch last night and some other of Europe’s best youngsters (Foden/Bellingham) was on the pitch last night. Harry Kane, in some people’s view the world’s best CF was in the same ground last night, probably a few metres away from Browne in the tunnel and in the next dressing room.

Whether or not you think they are worth that or not is your opinion, but facts are Harry Maguire is the world's most expensive CB and the Irish camp letting a infected grenade run around on the pitch for 90mins with these players and having contact with these players is clearly an error on the Irish part and an explanation is needed if some of the English (or Irish) lads test positive for corona in the next few days or (god forbid) really do take ill with covid, are the FAI going to compensate clubs if one of their assets has long covid, potentially ruining a career (or worse)?

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
No what i said is right, the world's most expensive CB was on the pitch last night, £100m+ Sancho (figures being talked about in the summer) was on the pitch last night and some other of Europe’s best youngsters (Foden/Bellingham) was on the pitch last night. Harry Kane, in some people’s view the world’s best CF was in the same ground last night, probably a few metres away from Browne in the tunnel and in the next dressing room.

Whether or not you think they are worth that or not is your opinion, but facts are Harry Maguire is the world's most expensive CB and the Irish camp letting a infected grenade run around on the pitch for 90mins with these players and having contact with these players is clearly an error on the Irish part and an explanation is needed if some of the English (or Irish) lads test positive for corona in the next few days or (god forbid) really do take ill with covid, are the FAI going to compensate clubs if one of their assets has long covid, potentially ruining a career (or worse)?
Neymar is the most expensive player ever. Are Manchester United compensating PSG for letting Telles go near all their players?

Your whole post is fecking stupid. Nothing like an Englishman having a good cry.

Withnail

Oh no won't someone think of the precious expensive players :lol:

How the feck are you drawing the conclusion that this was an error?

He was tested and passed fit to play along with every other player on the pitch as per protocol.

Subsequent to playing that game he was tested and it came back positive.

You do realise how these things work don't you? It takes time for the virus to build up in order for the test to detect it. Have you never felt fine only to be struck down with an illness a few hours later?

SirMarcusRashford

Neymar is the most expensive player ever. Are Manchester United compensating PSG for letting Telles go near all their players?

Your whole post is fecking stupid. Nothing like an Englishman having a good cry.
Telles tested positive for covid 9 days after the game with PSG.

News come out Browne tested positive for covid 12 hours after the game last night, possibily from a test that was done after the game last night, so are you telling me with a straight face that Browne never had covid during last night or if he had a covid test (at say) 6pm last night it would be negative?

The most important time to test players is on the day (before) a game, not after so I'm betting he never had a test at all throughout the day yesterday and again this is a fault of the FAI, hence why they are covering their arses now with a tweet looking like it came from Donald Trump's finger tips, certainly the same ignorance/cluelessness he has in how the disease spreads and it's right what I'm saying, you just take a look at replies to the FAI's tweet.

I will say it again, FAI have a lot of explaining to do regardless and if 1 (or several) players who was on the pitch last night test positive for covid in the next few days, you’ll get Southgate/club managers and many high profile people within the FA saying the same thing as I am right now.

Edit:- @Champagne Football, ran out of posts today, so i will reply this way. If someone says something that goes against your own beliefs = dumb, oldest trick in the book fella :o Truth is though if my post was dumb, yours was absolutely retarded, i mean just look how you ended it "The virus is completely harmless to nearly all footballers anyways" i mean how thick and ignorant can you get? Young/fit and healthy people have died of covid.

Browne shouldn't have played last night being covid positive, because he did play is a fault in the Irish covid testing system, there's no 'yeah buts' on that, Browne should have been no where near Wembley never mind played.

This is my last reply on this.

Last edited:

Oranges038

Aye, it still well doesnt change the fact that you were wrong. One player on the pitch is the most expensive defender in the game. They are all football players, that are potentially worth significant amounts money if the market dictates that they are, same as any of the Irish players that were there.

If the FAI followed the protocols then there really isn't much to see here. If they did not then I suggest the FA get onto John Delaney and the lads on the matter, they know where all the money is.

Tel074

Duffy defo not the player he was. He's barely getting a game at Celtic.

Randolph very hit and miss too. Should have dealt with that Sancho shot.

Pity because we played some lovely stuff in first 15 mins
Barely getting a game for Celtic ? He was benched for one game haha.
Shane lost his father this year and he is finding it tough at times. Not everything is black and white

Champagne Football

Must be the dumbest post in history on the caf. Since when did players only have mandatory tests after games while not bothering to test beforehand?

Browne wasn't the first player to test positive soon after a game. Cristiano Ronaldo has tested positive twice in recent times, and he would have the strictest army of virus experts running around after him wiping every thing he is about to touch first to make sure he doesn't get infected, so it's just one of those things that there's no controlling 100% no matter how much cash and protection you have. The virus is completely harmless to nearly all footballers anyways.

Deery

Dreary
Looking the better team at the moment.

If we don’t get a goal in this game we may as well give up.

The Irish Connection

Best football we’ve played in years and years. It’s a pity we’re lacking a really good forward at the moment. Deserve a goal in this.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Same old story. Just not enough quality to score.

Champagne Football

Ireland unable to score a goal under Kenny in 10 hours of game time. But there's plenty of positives. Lack of a playmaker and lack of a striker a real problem. That ball from Brady to McClean in the first half was outstanding and deserved a goal.

Will be at least another year before Idah is ready. Maybe Callum Robinson can become our striker. Would be nice if a couple of new faces with real quality declared for Ireland out of the blue.

Last edited:

The Irish Connection

Not much point playing good football if there’s no end product in the final third .
I dunno man, I think if we can work on creating more chances and hope that one of the young lads up front can become more threatening, it would be a good base to build on.
Disappointed tonight obviously, we definitely didn’t deserve to lose.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
We'll keep losing and dropping like a stone but looking semi-tidy on the ball despite being utterly toothless seems to be enough for some people.

Can't even score one pissing goal.

limerickcitykid

We'll keep losing and dropping like a stone but looking semi-tidy on the ball despite being utterly toothless seems to be enough for some people.

Can't even score one pissing goal.
We were losing and dropping like a stone while looking absolute dog shit and being utterly toothless before.

We couldn’t score before either, our best striker has been a CB for years.

So what’s your amazing solution then?

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Its a tricky time for Kenny and I really cant see how this can continue for much longer even if the blame is not entirely on Kenny.
Even shit teams score.

We look as sharp as a beach ball at the minute.

Thoroughly depressing and it feels like it will take years before an Ireland team will be even remotely interesting to watch.

Footy van de Geek

The most disappointing thing today was the now almost guaranteed failure to qualify for The European U21 Championship next year.

We promoted too many U21 players at once under Kenny. Ensuring that we qualified should have been top of the list of goals. Idah, for example, has so far been out of depth at senior level. He could have been a real asset for The U21s over the last few games.

Failure to qualify will set us back in even further. This was our opportunity to copy Germany’s approach in 2009. They won The 2009 European U21 Championship and then promoted the best players to the senior squad for The 2010 World Cup.

We should have been looking at a squad consisting of Kelleher, Bazunu, O’Shea, Collins, O’Connor, Coventry, Molumby, Ronan, Smallbone, Knight, Connolly, Parrott, Obafemi and Idah going far in the tournament.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
The most disappointing thing today was the now almost guaranteed failure to qualify for The European U21 Championship next year.

We promoted too many U21 players at once under Kenny. Ensuring that we qualified should have been top of the list of goals. Idah, for example, has so far been out of depth at senior level. He could have been a real asset for The U21s over the last few games.

Failure to qualify will set us back in even further. This was our opportunity to copy Germany’s approach in 2009. They won The 2009 European U21 Championship and then promoted the best players to the senior squad for The 2010 World Cup.

We should have been looking at a squad consisting of Kelleher, Bazunu, O’Shea, Collins, O’Connor, Coventry, Molumby, Ronan, Smallbone, Knight, Connolly, Parrott, Obafemi and Idah going far in the tournament.
I agree completely, should have let that squad get real experience under their belt and let them get promoted to the senior squad as a unit. I suppose you can't really blame Kenny for calling them up either though when you look at their competition for places.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Yup. Just hope it's soon and no one makes any kneejerk reactions in the meantime.
I like the football on display and its hard to blame the manager the squad is just shockingly weak. Kinda squad a dinosaur like Trap would over achieve with by binning the young players and parking the bus. Hope Kenny gets time, but there is such a lack of quality and creativity up top.

Brophs

The One and Only
There's no point in hiring Stephen Kenny and then losing your nerve seven games in. He's trying to do something we haven't ever done before. Time will tell whether he'll be able to carry it off but deciding that the experiment has failed before he's even had a chance to craft a squad of players that understand what he wants them to do and who aren't falling like flies during the middle of a pandemic doesn't make much sense. We've already tried the see ball kick ball approach several times and it's left no lasting mark.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
There's no point in hiring Stephen Kenny and then losing your nerve seven games in. He's trying to do something we haven't ever done before. Time will tell whether he'll be able to carry it off but deciding that the experiment has failed before he's even had a chance to craft a squad of players that understand what he wants them to do and who aren't falling like flies during the middle of a pandemic doesn't make much sense. We've already tried the see ball kick ball approach several times and it's left no lasting mark.
Spot on

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
100%. Christ, we've only got about 22 eligible players and he's only had his pick of 14 at any given time. What a tumultuous start to his career as Irish manager. We were poorer tonight on the ball than in any game so far but it would be ludicrous to start talking about giving him the heave ho now. Give the man a chance. Judge him when he's had time with a full squad.

Champagne Football

The likes of Idah, Connolly, Molomby, Horgan, O'Dowda getting a lot of game time can only be a good thing moving forward.

If it was O'Neil or Trap, we'd know what we'd be getting every game. A front 3 of Long, McClean and Walters with Glen Whelan behind them being the first name on the team sheet. We need to move on from those days. Impossible to inspire a new generation of Duffs and Robbie Keane's if your only tactic is to lump it up to Jonathan Walters or Shane Long.

Deery

Dreary
I seen in the match day thread yesterday that England fans were realistically saying Kane was no good and should start on the bench, what I’d do for a player like Kane in our setup.

I wonder if we could swap Shane Long for him...

Withnail

I seen in the match day thread yesterday that England fans were realistically saying Kane was no good and should start on the bench, what I’d do for a player like Kane in our setup.

I wonder if we could swap Shane Long for him...
It's always hilarious to see England fans shit on the calibre of player they have available to them.

To be fair they under-achieve horrifically. Can you imagine if we could put a team which was 80 or 90% top 6 players?

Oranges038

Irish fans are a funny bunch. Nothing like them for good moan.

Playing hoofball and maybe winning 1-0, and you were hearing I'd rather see us try to play football and lose. The reactions were worse when there was a loss under this style.

Trying to adopt a new style, playing some decent football but not scoring goals and you have people calling for the manager to be replaced already. Seriously, I'd just be wondering what fans want or expect this team to be doing? Or are the people who have this opinion salty LOI or Cork fans, who just dislike him because of his time with Dundalk?

I was looking up some scoring statistics for the last number of managers. There is an average of just over 1 goal a game, and in the last 3 managers before Kenny we have watched some of the worst football I have ever seen. Each of those had better players available than Kenny has had for the last few games.

Trap 64 games, 86 goals.
O'Neill 55 games, 63 goals.
Staunton 17 games, 23 goals.
McCarthy 10 games, 7 goals (2019) and and 112 in 68 games for his first term.
Brian Kerr 33 games, 39 goals
Jack 94 games, 128 goals.

If you look at it, the real reason there's not goals being scored is the lack of quality in attacking areas. But there are some promising players coming through that will need time to adjust to international football while trying to make the break club level at the same time.

You can see what Kenny is trying to do on the pitch, to even suggest replacing him now is ridiculous. He needs at least 2 years with this group to promote players and get his style bedded in.

World cup qualification will be tough, 13 places and 10 for group winners, looks like Ireland will be third seeds for the draw too. He should be assessed after the full qualifying campaign for the World Cup, not after 7 games.

Reactions: golden_blunder

limerickcitykid

We were more threatening when we played hoof ball is the worrying thing .
Like feck we were. The only thing threatening about us for years was hoping Shane Duffy pulls something out of the bag on a corner.

His club career has since gone downhill and clearly isn’t capable of being a 1 man Ireland anymore no matter the manager. We’d have been completely fecked under Mick without Duffy in full form.

Deery

Dreary
Irish fans are a funny bunch. Nothing like them for good moan.

Playing hoofball and maybe winning 1-0, and you were hearing I'd rather see us try to play football and lose. The reactions were worse when there was a loss under this style.

Trying to adopt a new style, playing some decent football but not scoring goals and you have people calling for the manager to be replaced already. Seriously, I'd just be wondering what fans want or expect this team to be doing? Or are the people who have this opinion salty LOI or Cork fans, who just dislike him because of his time with Dundalk?

I was looking up some scoring statistics for the last number of managers. There is an average of just over 1 goal a game, and in the last 3 managers before Kenny we have watched some of the worst football I have ever seen. Each of those had better players available than Kenny has had for the last few games.

Trap 64 games, 86 goals.
O'Neill 55 games, 63 goals.
Staunton 17 games, 23 goals.
McCarthy 10 games, 7 goals (2019) and and 112 in 68 games for his first term.
Brian Kerr 33 games, 39 goals
Jack 94 games, 128 goals.

If you look at it, the real reason there's not goals being scored is the lack of quality in attacking areas. But there are some promising players coming through that will need time to adjust to international football while trying to make the break club level at the same time.

You can see what Kenny is trying to do on the pitch, to even suggest replacing him now is ridiculous. He needs at least 2 years with this group to promote players and get his style bedded in.

World cup qualification will be tough, 13 places and 10 for group winners, looks like Ireland will be third seeds for the draw too. He should be assessed after the full qualifying campaign for the World Cup, not after 7 games.
I think everyone is in agreement that he needs time and we haven’t got the best quality up front yet, but if we still haven’t scored a goal in another 7 games let alone a win then I don’t see it going well for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.