Republic Of Ireland Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oranges038

Corner counting must be up to 15 for the first half. Hard to know whether the 2-0 flatters England or not.

The play in between the two goals has been good, some nice football played between the boxes but unfortunately lacking the cutting edge in the final third.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Corner counting must be up to 15 for the first half. Hard to know whether the 2-0 flatters England or not.

The play in between the two goals has been good, some nice football played between the boxes but unfortunately lacking the cutting edge in the final third.
We're down 6 or 7 starters against England at Wembley. I know England are rotating too but in fairness, our front 3 are Wycombe, Bristol City and Norwich. We've got to take the positives and there are plenty. We're much braver, we're playing football and I really think we're going to reap the rewards soon.

Oranges038

We're down 6 or 7 starters against England at Wembley. I know England are rotating too but in fairness, our front 3 are Wycombe, Bristol City and Norwich. We've got to take the positives and there are plenty. We're much braver, we're playing football and I really think we're going to reap the rewards soon.

This is why I said it was unfortunate that the cutting edge is lacking in the final third, maybe I should have elaborated a bit more on that. I'm liking the football, there is a bravery and composure to it, there's good movement and options for the player on the ball. It's Kenny's style and it's clear that there are improvements being made, and I'd be hopeful the rewards will be seen soon. At the minute, the forward options are limited and I think that we could be seeing nice football with little penetration unless that changes.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Knocking around well without ever really looking like scoring. Same story as always and will be until a striker is found..

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It's a pity a few of them didn't fling themselves at the ball when Horgan whipped it across the box. We played some lovely stuff but it looks like seriously fallow times up front for the foreseeable future.
Dunno about “foreseeable future”. Ida looks to have a lot of potential. Connolly could be decent. Maybe Obafemi too. And don’t forget Troy Parrot, the most highly rated of the lot.

We’ve actually got more potential up front than we’ve had in ages. Just a total lack of quality right now (and ever since Robbie Keane went into decline)

Champagne Football

Conceding sloppy goals seems to be happening more than it should under Kenny. Duffy and Randolph have been dodgy for a while. Maybe Dara O'Shea can over take Duffy soon.

England are an elite team now so no shame losing a few goals to them, but quite a few positions need attention in this ireland team.

Joe Hodge and Sotona are massive talents but not guaranteed they will still be choosing Ireland a year or two down the road.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Dunno about “foreseeable future”. Ida looks to have a lot of potential. Connolly could be decent. Maybe Obafemi too. And don’t forget Troy Parrot, the most highly rated of the lot.

We’ve actually got more potential up front than we’ve had in ages. Just a total lack of quality right now (and ever since Robbie Keane went into decline)
Maybe I'm being shortsighted, but it looks bleak right now.

Idah was exactly the one they highlighted at half time who should have anticipated the cross and shown more urgency.

always_hoping

First time since 1985 England won against the ROI? Early days yet but it looks like yet another error by the FAI to appoint such a rookie manager for this level.

Deery

Dreary
First time since 1985 England won against the ROI? Early days yet but it looks like yet another error by the FAI to appoint such a rookie manager for this level.
I don’t think any manager could do better with the players we have, not even Klopp or Pep..

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
This level? What level is that? Is it the level of struggling against Gibraltar? Or how about the level of getting played off the pitch by Georgia several times? Or is the level of relying on a CB as your most attacking threat this level?

always_hoping

I don’t think any manager could do better with the players we have, not even Klopp or Pep..
Not expecting miracles with such a mediocre panel of players but the fear is this could become very messy, Staunton mark II situation.

always_hoping

This level? What level is that? Is it the level of struggling against Gibraltar? Or how about the level of getting played off the pitch by Georgia several times? Or is the level of relying on a CB as your most attacking threat this level?
Senior level international football. For the record I have no fan of Mick McCarthy either but should have been kept on until the play off was played.

Deery

Dreary
Not expecting miracles with such a mediocre panel of players but the fear is this could become very messy, Staunton mark II situation.
Well we’ve had one shot on target and no goals in 5 games so I’d say it already is ugly, but hopefully it gets better..

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Even with recent form, I hope so much it's all going to click for Kenny. Really like the way we try to play now, even if we're not getting goals from it at the moment.
Yup. Me too. We are playing good stuff. You can see what he’s doing. We just need a bit of luck and to get a strong XI out. Injuries and absentees killing us.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Senior level international football. For the record I have no fan of Mick McCarthy either but should have been kept on until the play off was played.
Senior level international football meaning what? There are senior level international footballers who are amateur. So what level is this? You’re saying that like it means something.

And no he most definitely shouldn’t have been kept on.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Even with recent form, I hope so much it's all going to click for Kenny. Really like the way we try to play now, even if we're not getting goals from it at the moment.
Yup. Me too. We are playing good stuff. You can see what he’s doing. We just need a bit of luck and to get a strong XI out. Injuries and absentees killing us.
I third that. Keep at it, lads.

Withnail

Why?

They playoff was nothing to do him.

O Neill got us that play off you know?

I'd rather watch us play this way than anything under the previous few managers. It's a shame our strikers are all so inexperienced.

Champagne Football

Positives -

Molumby looked good when he came on. He could form a solid midfield pairing with Hendrick.

Duffy will hopefully find his form again at Celtic after a few months of getting game time there.

Connolly was missing tonight and he usually offers a lot out wide.

At least one of our young strikers should kick on and become international level whether Idah, Parrot, Connolly, Robinson, Curtis or Obafemi

More players will emerge over the next year or so - Smallbone, Conor Ronan, Joe Hodge etc

always_hoping

So Slovakia stop both Northern Ireland and Republic Of Ireland from reaching the Euros and I have my doubts if Slovakia win any match in the Euros.

ROI stats v Slovakia

13 shots on goal
3 on target
46% possession

NI stats v Slovakia

16 shots on goal
3 on target
46% possession

Back to the drawing board for both Irish teams, well done to Scotland on qualifying.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Seems like an age since I’ve seen Ireland score. Who are the strikers for Ireland these days?

dbs235

Seems like an age since I’ve seen Ireland score. Who are the strikers for Ireland these days?
A load of kids. Some have decent potential but they're nowhere near ready to be scoring regularly for Ireland yet.
EDIT: Should have named them. Idah, Parrott, Connolly, Obafemi.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
A load of kids. Some have decent potential but they're nowhere near ready to be scoring regularly for Ireland yet.
EDIT: Should have named them. Idah, Parrott, Connolly, Obafemi.
Not sure what's happened to Obafemi this season, not even getting a sub game with Ings out.

Parrott hasn't played much for Millwall and the other two are still potential. Will be tough to do anything for world cup as imagine you're going down the seeding pots a fair bit but have to hope by 2024 qualifiers one of those strikers has matured and at least scoring a bit.

Seems Seamus Coleman hasn't played much for ROI recently, seen he withdrew injured.

padzilla

Hipster
There could parallels with Michael O'Neill's start managing the North. His first year or so was littered with terrible results but they kept the faith and he turned them around into a competitive unit and eventually qualified for the Euros in 2016. That said not qualifying for the Euros these days is a pretty abject failure given how many teams qualify.

Footy van de Geek

Our future success will depend on the trajectory of Connolly, Obafemi, Idah and Parrott over the next 2-3 years.

Connolly is clearly a talent. You can see him threaten most teams in nearly every game he plays, but he has got to start scoring more goals. He's already wasted quite a few chances in an Irish shirt.

Idah has looked very raw in his few apperances for Ireland. He needs to go out on loan soon if he can't get regular starts for Norwich.

Parrott is the most talented of the four, but we have yet to see if he can adapt to senior football due to injuries since joining Millwall. We need him to become our next Robbie Keane.

Obafemi mainly plays RW or RF. He's done fairly well for Southampton over the past 2 years. But like Connolly, we need to see an increase in output. A better goals ratio needed.

Another potential young striker is Mipo Odubeko at West Ham. He left United for West Ham because of no clear path to our 1st team. He's been prolific for United U16s and West Ham U18/U23. He was expected to move up to West Ham's 1st team squad until he picked up an injury.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Did anyone read the article on rte about Browne testing positive for the virus?

Played last night

Champagne Football

Not having to look at Delaney with his perma tan, sucking the face off his blonde ex in the stand every 5 seconds has made watching the games far more bearable now.

A midfield 2 of Hendrick and Hourihane does not offer enough protection.

Conor Coventry is not far off getting into the West Ham team. Molumby is developing nicely.

We're gonna be crap for another 6 months I'd say, then we should start getting results after that.

Last edited:

Name Changed

weso26
What was the point of that match last night? We were always going to be without players, and we need our strongest XI to even stand a chance against England. Organising a friendly against them in the circumstances is ridiculous as we were always going to be hammered. We need a win and some goals to give us some confidence. Portugal, the Europe champions, played Andorra the other night. Even Ronaldo played. If we are going to be organising meaningless friendlies, surely it should be against a team who we have some kind of chance against.

For the record I am a Kenny fan and he will do well given the time. Ultimately he won't be

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Yeah. Does that not mean than numerous others have been in close contact now ?
Its a bit confusing. He played a whole game so anyone on that pitch could have been exposed.

When was he tested that he didnt have a negative test before the match? It seems very messy

Status
Not open for further replies.