OGS - "There's been other players refusing to train and refusing to play. They're not here anymore."

Smores

its obvious to some!

did the same with Sanchez - remember him saying Sanchez would come back, and would be a valuable player for us? Said it at the time, it’s clearly a tactic in respect of selling him.

for other posters who can’t see it. Imagine the alternative - throwing the player under the bus, driving down the transfer fee and also meaning he’s not available until sold.

OGS took the same tactic with Lukaku. Whitch contributed to us getting a decent fee for him, would you have been surprised if we got £30m for him if other managers were in charge? I wouldn’t have.
You don't actually think other clubs are that stupid do you? 'Ole speaks well of him, we shall pay 10 million more!'

You're basically saying you can see through his comments but clubs forking out ridiculous fees can't.

Zen86

You don't actually think other clubs are that stupid do you? 'Ole speaks well of him, we shall pay 10 million more!'

You're basically saying you can see through his comments but clubs forking out ridiculous fees can't.
Well they certainly aren’t going to pay a decent fee if we come out and say he’s a terrible human being and we’re desperate to sell him, are they?

no you must be right. Let’s throw him under the bus, perpetuate his appalling attitude, and not play him until he goes.

that would help with both the transfer and squad harmony.

There are different ways to handle players than the ‘Jose way’.

just look at how he handled Lukaku and Sanchez. Both players with far worse attitudes than Pogba, and he helped get rid of them without undue conflict.

Smores

Well they certainly aren’t going to pay a decent fee if we come out and say he’s a terrible human being and we’re desperate to sell him, are they?
They wouldn't sign him anyway if they thought he was a terrible human being and they know the situation we're in no matter what we say in a press conference. His agent will be telling every club the situation.

Smores

no you must be right. Let’s throw him under the bus, perpetuate his appalling attitude, and not play him until he goes.

that would help with both the transfer and squad harmony.

There are different ways to handle players than the ‘Jose way’.

just look at how he handled Lukaku and Sanchez. Both players with far worse attitudes than Pogba, and he helped get rid of them without undue conflict.
Calm down. We didn't get more money because Ole spoke nicely of them is all I'm saying. Other clubs aren't that stupid and neither are we when we sign players.

There was plenty of bad press with both those players and the fact he didn't play them was a bigger indicator to clubs.

I'm fine with playing Pogba if he doesn't leave in January, stick him in the Europe league games with the kids.

ForeverRed1

So because he trains he plays. This is madness! Drags our club through the dirt yet again. grabbing all the headlines for the wrong reasons And gets praise because he trains and wants to play. He’s on 250k a week. This doesn’t make him some hero.
He doesn’t deserve to wear this shirt. Sorry but he just doesn’t.

although if he scores a winner against city today all is forgiven:p

POF

May have been acceptable if we were good at selling players on our terms. We are not. We barely manage to get good money for players we want to sell, not even talking about those who want to go. Will we recoup our outlay on Pogba? I think you know the answer. Pogba and his agent derailed the most important game our season. That calls a bit of public chastizing if we had any self respect as a club. By being this soft we have given clear ideas to players and their agents who might want to take the same path in the future.
I get what you're saying. Make an example out of Pogba and make him rot in the reserves. It would be great.

But the reasons you're giving show why they have to do it this way. If it was a club run by Florentino Perez or Levy, they could do that and still sell him for £100m. They are strong characters and good negotiators.

United have Woodward and Judge, the boys from Bristol uni. They could have Real and Juve in a bidding war for him and still end up getting half his worth.

For a club run like United, they need all the leverage they can get.

its obvious to some!

did the same with Sanchez - remember him saying Sanchez would come back, and would be a valuable player for us? Said it at the time, it’s clearly a tactic in respect of selling him.

for other posters who can’t see it. Imagine the alternative - throwing the player under the bus, driving down the transfer fee and also meaning he’s not available until sold.

OGS took the same tactic with Lukaku. Whitch contributed to us getting a decent fee for him, would you have been surprised if we got £30m for him if other managers were in charge? I wouldn’t have.
Completely agree. This is how United operate under Ole. They speak positively about players even when everyone can see they want them out. Lukaku and Sanchez were prime examples.

This is why Ole is a good fit for United manager. He doesn't have a massive ego and can roll with the punches when he gets overridden or undermined by the higher ups at the club.

When the club made Jose look a clown over Pogba and Martial, it was never going to end well.

eire-red

Ole is in a weird position here, he must be raging on the inside, at both Raiola and Pogba.

On the flip side, Pogba seems like a popular guy around the club and the dressing room, so he clearly doesn't want to come out and hammer him.

I think the best course of action is for Ole to just say the matter will be dealt with in-house and he won't answer anymore questions on it.

Defending Pogba by saying there have been others who have wanted to leave, and have refused to train doesn't paint a pretty picture at Carrington. He's not really helping the situation.

Trequarista10

I really don't get all the fuss. His contract is up in 18 months and he has decided he wants to leave. Not a problem. Its in our interest to sell him next summer, or potentially in January.

Let's see if Pogba puts his all in if we don't agree to sell him in January, or if his preferred club to move to decide to play hard ball over the fee.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Come to think of it, guess it's just LVG and Mou so far who dare to stick the boots to players, as far as bollocking ego players and putting top players into reserve eg. Valdez and Schweini.

Ole is just talks.

None of them end up well in the end or doing well (for Ole), I rather have brave managers than a gentle manager.
Manager with big egos you mean? The history talks clearly in that regard. I mean just look how the team and board responded when the managers started fight with players and talked them down. What happened? They lost the dressing room and the board - then fired.

Ole is not that dumb. I am sure he handle it perfectly fine behind closed doors and not cry out in the presser like a child that gossip to her mother.

It’s clear for everyone with a brain that you need the players on your side. And the first thing you should learn about constructive leadership is to take feedback between 4 eyes and not it the press. That’s just a childish thing to do.

We shall not forget that Ole has been pretty ruthless with players that have no future here whilst Mourinho and LVG just kept the deadwood and wanted to buy more deadwood.

Do you think it’s brave to talk your players down and start a public fight with your best players and at the same time don’t have enough cojones to rinse out the deadwood?

It’s a big difference between brave leadership and good leadership. And you got that wrong.

Trequarista10

This is kinda pathetic. Almost sounds like a partner who's pleading with someone who doesn't want them anymore.

Move on. We're far bigger than Paul Pogba will ever be, and this constant idea of trying to keep things civil with him is getting annoying.

He has been completely unprofessional with the club with the comments, cowardly manoeuvring through his agent, and it's no doubt that he'll have an effect on the dressing room.

Leave him out till we sell him. José did the right thing by permanently benching him.
Now Ole, grow some balls and do the same.
Pretty sure Ole has benched Pogba more than Jose ever did. Jose would do it once and there would be a complete shit storm.

Roane

Is say likes of Pereira and Smalling are the ones over Lukaku and Sanchez who seemed to be training in pics and social media.

To play devil's advocate here don't people think or aren't people worried that so many players have shown a desire to leave or potentially not train?

Not defending likes of Pogba or sanchez or Lukaku but the vibes on media was that likes of Young, who many didn't like but was always very much UTD in interviews etc wanted to suddenly move.

There was a story about cliques at UTD that I think it was Lukaku who advised Young iirc.

Something isn't right at the club and I don't think it's a coincidence that players wanted to move or not train.

Withnail

I get what you're saying. Make an example out of Pogba and make him rot in the reserves. It would be great.

But the reasons you're giving show why they have to do it this way. If it was a club run by Florentino Perez or Levy, they could do that and still sell him for £100m. They are strong characters and good negotiators.
Let a player rot in the reserves and still get 100m for them?

Pull the other one, mate.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
They wouldn't sign him anyway if they thought he was a terrible human being and they know the situation we're in no matter what we say in a press conference. His agent will be telling every club the situation.
As Howard Wilkinson once said “ I’d sign Jack the Ripper if he helped me win the league.” Being a terrible human being and great at what you do are mutually exclusive IMO. Loads of artists,musicians, sportspeople etc have been sociopaths but we tend to only recognise their achievements

I’ve no real idea if Pogba acting unprofessionally and allowing his agent to disrespect the club over football makes him a terrible human being but what I would say is that, that baggage isn’t going to prevent other clubs coming in for him.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
This was how I interpreted that as well :lol:
OP title makes it sound like Ole got the mafia to kill every single player who refused to train.

'Oh those players that refused to train? We don't talk about them anymore'

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Needs to stay fit for than Jan move ;)
In track and field athletics, athletes will peak for the Olympics. They'll make sure that they taper and cycle their training so that they are well rested and in peak fitness for when the Olympic games come around.
The January transfer window is Pogba's Olympics.
The guy has been semi injured for several months and now that we are in December, his agent issued a statement that he wants out and conveniently, Pogba is hungry and motivated to play.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Ole is in a weird position here, he must be raging on the inside, at both Raiola and Pogba.

On the flip side, Pogba seems like a popular guy around the club and the dressing room, so he clearly doesn't want to come out and hammer him.

I think the best course of action is for Ole to just say the matter will be dealt with in-house and he won't answer anymore questions on it.

Defending Pogba by saying there have been others who have wanted to leave, and have refused to train doesn't paint a pretty picture at Carrington. He's not really helping the situation.
Not only that but we actually need numbers right now with the schedule. Can't afford to have a senior player be unavaible to play due to a contract issue. Just keep him happy and sell him when we can, everyones happy then.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
In track and field athletics, athletes will peak for the Olympics. They'll make sure that they taper and cycle their training so that they are well rested and in peak fitness for when the Olympic games come around.
The January transfer window is Pogba's Olympics.
The guy has been semi injured for several months and now that we are in December, his agent issued a statement that he wants out and conveniently, Pogba is hungry and motivated to play.
His olympics is the Euros for France.

That's his only real motivation, watch him and Riaola behave like a boy scout if he somehow managed to stay beyond the January window.

Dan600

Didn't Ashley Young also pull that stunt, or was that proved as just media nonsense?

Either way, I get what he's saying, but there's a bit of what-about-ism with his comments. The fact that other players have refused to train doesn't excuse this different kind of stunt. It still reflects badly on the club, and Ole probably could have been stronger. I do however understand the reverse argument, that he needs to keep it sensible and not let other clubs come in and take the mickey with stupid offers. If he said he was furious and won't play again, we'd be lucky to be offered £20M, so he's stuck between a rock and a hard place really.

Shame its a different age really, or we'd have been hearing about boots flying in his direction etc. Hopefully he'll still be getting some rough treatment and harsh words from his teammates, could do with some of that character back soon (Can imagine Bruno, Scott, Brandon and Marcus won't be shy of letting him know).

Drainy

Didn't Ashley Young also pull that stunt, or was that proved as just media nonsense?

Either way, I get what he's saying, but there's a bit of what-about-ism with his comments. The fact that other players have refused to train doesn't excuse this different kind of stunt. It still reflects badly on the club, and Ole probably could have been stronger. I do however understand the reverse argument, that he needs to keep it sensible and not let other clubs come in and take the mickey with stupid offers. If he said he was furious and won't play again, we'd be lucky to be offered £20M, so he's stuck between a rock and a hard place really.

Shame its a different age really, or we'd have been hearing about boots flying in his direction etc. Hopefully he'll still be getting some rough treatment and harsh words from his teammates, could do with some of that character back soon (Can imagine Bruno, Scott, Brandon and Marcus won't be shy of letting him know).
Yes, it was allegedly Young. While he was club captain.

Red00012

My money's on Lukaku. Maybe refusing to play RW.

Anyone else?
Not good he’s comparing him to a player or players that refused to train . He’s clearly doesn’t want to be here . Just get rid and get a swop with dybala

MattyLT

"Doesn't refuse to train"

"Doesn't refuse to play"

"Never been to jail"

"Takes care of his kids"

...and other stuff you're just supposed to do. Reminds me of that old Chris Rock bit.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Come to think of it, guess it's just LVG and Mou so far who dare to stick the boots to players, as far as bollocking ego players and putting top players into reserve eg. Valdez and Schweini.

Ole is just talks.

None of them end up well in the end or doing well (for Ole), I rather have brave managers than a gentle manager.
Remind me again how many games have Pogba started this season?

Why on earth do you want the manager of this club to publicly slag of his own players? I don't get it, what do you want to achiee by that?

iHicksy

Not sure what some of you are getting so worked up about. It's diversion, he doesn't want to confirm that Pogba is leaving so he changes the direction of the question by mentioning the fact that he's still a professional and works hard in training, this then gets the media thinking about which players who were here refused to train. Ole knows he's leaving, Pogba knows, we know, he just doesn't want a thousand questions about it. It's a good answer because he'll still need to call on Pogba from time to time before he leaves.

Irwin99

Yes, what a great idea. Look how that has worked out with Arsenal. They have a player on massive wages who they can't shift and can't play.

Far better to try and keep Paul's value as high as it can be in the current times. Ridiculous how people are saying Ole is weak because of this. He basically has dropped Pogba from the first XI. But at the moment, we need him sometimes in a busy fixture list, so obviously sometimes he is being used.

As for the agent, I don't think I would acknowledge his comments either. He is a leech who is making these comments to stir up reaction. Ignoring him is the best way.
I understand that perspective but this isn't Ozil- It's Paul Pogba. He's going to fetch a good price when sold anyway and his continual comments (for 3 fecking years now!), either through his agent or through the media on international duty about wanting to leave the club, are sending a really bad message about player power. The fact that we've bent over backwards to keep him and called on him to rescue us on Tuesday looks weak.

I know that people bashing Ole goes to ridiculous and unfair levels at times but personally I don't like the way he's handled the Pogba issue. For all his apparent toxicity I would side with Jose on this one and I doubt Sir Alex would have put up with it either.

Maticmaker

My money's on Lukaku. Maybe refusing to play RW.

Anyone else?
Johnny Giles, not happy with his treatment at OT, so1963 Busby sold him to Leeds and then lived to regret it, as Giles prospered at Leeds under Don Revie

chiz2kul

just chatter to deflect from his failings. seems to be working perfectly.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
I understand that perspective but this isn't Ozil- It's Paul Pogba. He's going to fetch a good price when sold anyway and his continual comments (for 3 fecking years now!), either through his agent or through the media on international duty about wanting to leave the club, are sending a really bad message about player power. The fact that we've bent over backwards to keep him and called on him to rescue us on Tuesday looks weak.

I know that people bashing Ole goes to ridiculous and unfair levels at times but personally I don't like the way he's handled the Pogba issue. For all his apparent toxicity I would side with Jose on this one and I doubt Sir Alex would have put up with it either.
Though I'm very annoyed by Pogba and can't wait to see the back of him, I think the situation is a bit different. SAFwas the club. He could do whatever he pleased. Jose, maybe unaware of his limitations, chose confrontation and paid his job for it. Can't really blame Ole for treading softly.

Spaghetti

Mom's
Players that have left under Ole, off the top of my head:
- Fellaini: wouldn’t refuse to play / train
- Darmian: unlikely
- Young: definitely not
- Valencia(?): definitely not
- Smalling: definitely not
- Lukaku: highly likely
- Sanchez: even more chance than Lukaku
- Dalot: no chance

Has anyone else been offed under Ole?

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
- Sanchez: even more chance than Lukaku
Could be onto something.

Wasn't Ole saying the same stuff about Sanchez too? Kept saying that he was a wonderful player and had a lot to offer right until he got shipped out.