OGS - "There's been other players refusing to train and refusing to play. They're not here anymore."

justsomebloke

I think the point being made by OGS isn't to praise Pogba simply for not refusing to train or play. He's saying that as long as Pogba is committed and puts in the effort, he'd rather have him contributing to the team while he's here. And Pogba seems to reciprocate by not once complaining he's not getting nearly the amount of playing time a player of his calibre would normally expect. If it's the case, as it seems to be, that Pogba wants to move on, then he really is handling it fairly professionally. Agent's comments aside, but at least that's preferable to the player complaining.

On the whole I think the Pogba situation is being handled smartly. Looks like both the manager and the player are intent on damage control, rather than bringing matters to a head. Preferable in my opinion to a messy breakdown in relations, which would also make it harder to achieve a good transfer. Just look at the Özil mess in Arsenal. This could have been a huge distraction, like it was in the last months of Mourinho's reign. Remarkable really that it isn't. The key thing is how it plays in the dressing room, and if the rest of the squad accepts that it's better this way.

But it's hard not to think it'll come to a transfer now, either over christmas or next summer. Won't feel sorry about that, really.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ødegaard

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Would you rather he slagged him off in the press? That went well for Mourinho.
The 2 events aren't that related tbh. I keep seeing this myth that Pogba and co got Mourinho fired but it's just that, a complete myth.
The results and the bad football under Jose were the reasons he got fired, had we been in great form with Pogba benched and insulted at each ITWs by Jose, he still would have been a Man Utd manager.

Of course it will. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't get whatever they can.

We're talking millions of pounds here. If Ole came out and said how unprofessional Pogba was and he wanted him gone, his value drops further. If that costs the club £10m that could mean the matchday staff that the club have been paying throughout COVID get furloughed or the women's team get a drastic budget cut. Or it could mean the difference between being able to afford Sancho or not.

This is a business and it's part of Ole's job to protect the value of the assets.
Very good post, people need to realize that Ole despite being a legend and a fan of the club, he cannot afford to react and talk like a fan. Sometimes he deserves criticism but I think he's handling the whole situation rather well. We've already seen he can be ruthless with certain insignificant players

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
OGS sounds like a beaten man in his interviews and makes outlandish statements where you sit and think ‘did he really just say that’?

I could see many changes for next season for many different clubs. I wouldn’t bet against Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd having a new management team if this season goes poorly.

Hassenhutl will be a sought after manager should any of the above teams sack theirs.

justsomebloke

OGS sounds like a beaten man in his interviews and makes outlandish statements where you sit and think ‘did he really just say that’?

I could see many changes for next season for many different clubs. I wouldn’t bet against Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd having a new management team if this season goes poorly.

Hassenhutl will be a sought after manager should any of the above teams sack theirs.
He's not a great communicator, and he's adding to the pressure against him by not really trying to explain what he's doing and why. And he doesn't have the right aura to get away with supplying just breezy generalities, which plenty of managers do. He tends to come across as a chirpy newsstand attendant, not as a serious guy who knows what he's doing. There's a cultural element there too. He comes across better to a Norwegian I think - in England the standards are different when it comes to what sort of demeanor makes you appear as serious and competent.

Important to remember though that communication skills are just communication skills - it's not what he is. Also, generally trying to put a cushion over it while being demanding behind close doors is probably not a bad way to handle a young team that needs to develop but is also facing intense scrutiny and very high expectations. But it rebounds on him, in terms of public confidence.

Denis' cuff

he’s bland but makes outlandish statements.

we hear a new one every day - 1000 ways to whinge about Ole. Pity he’s not as clever as Arteta or had as much to spend as Lampard. Instead he’s had near a dozen useless players on long contracts that he can’t shift. Still half a dozen to go.

led_scholes

I guess Romero was training ultra-hard that's why we didn't allow him to leave.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I remember reading about Ashley Young "storming" out of training before he moved to Inter, but only saw it being reported by shiteaters like The Sun and the Daily Mail (who reported it as "according to The Sun")

Did anyone reputable endorse it?

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Important to remember though that communication skills are just communication skills - it's not what he is. Also, generally trying to put a cushion over it while being demanding behind close doors is probably not a bad way to handle a young team that needs to develop but is also facing intense scrutiny and very high expectations. But it rebounds on him, in terms of public confidence.
Its important that people recognise this, and I think that anybody who has ever managed a team in their job will be more understanding of the situation. You have to be so careful with your words and demeanour if you are trying to develop the right culture within a group. I'm sure that Ole is saying one thing to the cameras and something very different behind closed doors.

Mindhunter

Sometimes I don't get this forum. What do you want him to do? Ostracize him and then not use his services despite paying 300k to him every week? How is that any better?

If he is willing to put in the effort then he should be in consideration for the first team. Doesn't mean we don't sell and replace him at the earliest opportunity. Too many of us are so entitled that we fair to see reason.