Oil Money in Football | New City expose

johanovic

Why do other clubs not come out and threaten legal action? This has to be stopped.

The Irish Connection

I've asked before and didn't get a reply.

It appears they haven't mentioned City's current commercial?
Looking at it 'logically' its almost like you'd think City are still at it!!
United' commercial revenue £270 approx
City £232
Liverpool 130m approx
Chelsea 130m approx

Its safe to assume City would be behind both Chelsea & Liverpool if all things were equal
Yes, thank you for bringing this up again. It looks blatantly obvious that since the first fine in 2014 city have continued to get hidden cash injections by the owner, inflating their income to appear compliant with ffp. No way they have that much more legitimate commercial income than Liverpool.

Amir

Do you have a link for that mate? I could be wrong but as i remember the deal was always a two year loan with an option to buy at £25m and we would decide whether or not to activate that option to sign him at the end of the two years.
The deal was a two year loan. Whether we could activate the transfer clause only when the loan deal was over, I don't know.

As for your question, this is what Fergie said in 2007 (he was incredibly accurate in his prediction that Tevez would be scoring important goals that season).

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/ferguson-says-tevez-fee-agreed-1.1303615

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
FIFA is rotten to the core, always will be unless a major shake up is undertaken, sadly this won't happen as those at the top have too much power.
And the issue is that clubs, national associations and other associations like the ECA are also rotten to the core which means that there isn't really an easy way out. The two super league projects also shows that some people that aren't really in football also add to the problem.

el magico

Supports
Manchester City
Most popular Premier League jerseys in each U.S. state revealed
https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2018/1...ier-league-jerseys-in-each-us-state-revealed/

Clearly more oil money is needed, here is the map :lol:
Clearly, this only represents exactly what it says on the tin, however, as the 'biggest club in the world' how come United are only the biggest seller in around a third of the US states? And, I'm curious why are Spurs so popular in around six/seven states?

And, as a City fan, I am astonished that my team's shirts are the most popular in even one state? Why do the good folk of New Jersey have such good taste? Is it related to New York City FC?

Purely anecodotal but on my last visit to the US (Las Vegas and southern California three years ago), I saw far more Chelsea shirts than anyone else.

Whiskey Red

Supports
Liverpool
Clearly, this only represents exactly what it says on the tin, however, as the 'biggest club in the world' how come United are only the biggest seller in around a third of the US states? And, I'm curious why are Spurs so popular in around six/seven states?

And, as a City fan, I am astonished that my team's shirts are the most popular in even one state? Why do the good folk of New Jersey have such good taste? Is it related to New York City FC?

Purely anecodotal but on my last visit to the US (Las Vegas and southern California three years ago), I saw far more Chelsea shirts than anyone else.
I would say a big factor is where marketing efforts are placed, perhaps ex players are impacting, maybe even ex pats. But given city are making alot of money from sponsorship you would think their global footprint would be larger to justify that type of money. How very curious, its almost as if they are sponsoring themselves with state money and hiding it:wenger:

Maybe they are bigger in other market's but a recent study for most searched clubs would suggest not. Very curious that all these big sponsors are paying huge sums for a team with little recognition
https://m.sportskeeda.com/football/...n-europe-africa-and-asia-based-on-search-data

el magico

Supports
Manchester City
I would say a big factor is where marketing efforts are placed, perhaps ex players are impacting, maybe even ex pats. But given city are making alot of money from sponsorship you would think their global footprint would be larger to justify that type of money. How very curious, its almost as if they are sponsoring themselves with state money and hiding it:wenger:

Maybe they are bigger in other market's but a recent study for most searched clubs would suggest not. Very curious that all these big sponsors are paying huge sums for a team with little recognition
https://m.sportskeeda.com/football/...n-europe-africa-and-asia-based-on-search-data
I thought you might be able to explain what appear to be unusual spikes in support across the US. Clearly not.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

Bearded One

To be fair Pellegrini coached City amid the faux-FFP ‘compliance’ - Pep added the likes of Stones and Sane to the same squad and only finished 3rd. Had Mancini or Pellegrini been able to spend the £500m Pep has had on top of the squads they coached to the title, they’d have similarly monopolised too; their squad players were Adam Johnson, Scott Sinclair, Navas, Javi Garcia etc, not fecking Gundogan, Bernardo, Mahrez and Otamendi.
With the way Pellegrini spent whatever sum was available to him, N500m entrusted to him wouldn't do too much good. They bought a lot within that period, outspent everyone in the league but yet their best players still remained their old guard. My Barca mate that supports city too told me that when they bought Bony, Dybala was angling for a move to city. (City fans please correct me if this is BS).

Point is Pellegrini did well but just about everyone who is not a City fan would rather that city had Pellegrini as manager today rather than Pep.

PS: when you factor in the level of competition and calibre of top 6 managers now, its a different level to what it was then. When you compare their respective careers in city, the entire periods have to be considered. I'd rather my manager has a slow start and then gets things right and begins to dominate into the forseeable future rather than he having a brilliant first season only to see things go downhill.

Bearded One

The silence from UEFA is so heart rending. Are going to sweep this one under the carpet once again? The media has a lot to do in ensuring that city gets due sanctions.

pascell

And the issue is that clubs, national associations and other associations like the ECA are also rotten to the core which means that there isn't really an easy way out. The two super league projects also shows that some people that aren't really in football also add to the problem.
I agree, it's a sad state of affairs as football won't benefit from having those that are in power, it'll actually start to have the adverse effect if we're not careful. Everything to do with the association's of football needs a shake up, unfortunately that won't happen.

caid

I’m really a tad confused over this entire “revelation”. I mean in all honesty, who the feck didn’t think that there were FFP irregularities/breaches by City and PSG?

City’s commercial income sky rocketed since the takeover, but lo and behold, most of those increases iirc, were deals signed with (what we in accounting refer to as) “related parties” to their owners. And the terms were definitely not at arms length or in line with City’s support and stature within the game.

I mean, that was pretty clear all along, wasn’t it? How they managed to pass FFP regulations - I don’t know enough about the topic, but I just thought uefa or whoever didn’t have the balls or clout to judge against these so called “related party” dealings.

So what else is new....has derSpiegel (excuse the sp?) discovered more payments to players funneled through different avenues? Sorry again, I didn’t read the OP :(
It pretty much spelled out what everyone suspected, gives a fairly detailed breakdown or how they funneled money around. On extra payments to players - they payed Mancini twice. A club in abu dhabi gave him a wage for consulting or something that was higher than his wage at city.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
It pretty much spelled out what everyone suspected, gives a fairly detailed breakdown or how they funneled money around. On extra payments to players - they payed Mancini twice. A club in abu dhabi gave him a wage for consulting or something that was higher than his wage at city.
Aye, nothing surprising really. Thanks bud.

OldSchoolManc

Even if UEFA and the EPL gave City a clean slate and they started declaring what they were actually earning/spending, they wouldn’t even be able to pay the wages of every person on their books. Which means they are continuing to break the rules since 2014, when they paid off UEFA.

The VERY minimum that should happen, is that the owners should be made to sell the club for what they are actually worth, to somebody that will stay within the rules. If they don’t comply with this, then ban them from taking part.

They are simply going to carry on as they have been doing and are very likely to hide even more payments. This time, more discreetly. It will all come out in years to come and will be remembered as the disgrace that it is.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I knew United were well supported in the US but I had no idea it was to this extent, that's practically 50% of the entire country.
That's why I was scratching my head when people keep saying that US tour wasn't all important. "It's just pre-season, bro!!".
That's a very limited vision. The Tour is more than that. It's a showcase to these fans that may never visit Old Trafford, on watching their "Team" playing. The shit show we had last Summer will make that map shifted, if we keep it like this season after season.

Fluctuation0161

You do understand that different states have vastly different population levels, yes?

DanClancy

Even if UEFA and the EPL gave City a clean slate and they started declaring what they were actually earning/spending, they wouldn’t even be able to pay the wages of every person on their books. Which means they are continuing to break the rules since 2014, when they paid off UEFA.

The VERY minimum that should happen, is that the owners should be made to sell the club for what they are actually worth, to somebody that will stay within the rules. If they don’t comply with this, then ban them from taking part.

They are simply going to carry on as they have been doing and are very likely to hide even more payments. This time, more discreetly. It will all come out in years to come and will be remembered as the disgrace that it is.
IF they were given a clean state and start again they'd have to sell players immediately to comply with FFP.
Their currently at an operating loss of 22.2m and only made a profit because of player sales.
City would probably be a mid table club within 2 years and even a relegation candidate due to the likely instability.

Denis_unwise

If the stadium expansion news is true then this gives the impression that Mansour isn't intending on going anywhere. This all creates further suspicion amongst the football community though. You would usually expand a stadium when demand for seats is outstripping supply. City are at their nadir & are still not selling out most games. Most will agree that this is another exercise to circumvent FFP restrictions.

As for selling City for what they are worth. This is muddled due to the Chinese investment. This investment valued City at £3 Bill. There are questions though. Were the Chinese investing by going off the financial figures that Mansour gave them or were they privy to the real figures that we are now seeing. No person in their right mind who knows anything about football & business would see City as a good investment in either the short or long term.

Their currently at an operating loss of 22.2m and only made a profit because of player sales.
Mansour also invested £60M of his own money which is listed in the last financials. You also have the huge loss dumping onto the other CFG clubs & also the other costs dumped onto shell companies. The losses they are making are truly mind boggling.

el magico

Supports
Manchester City
You do understand that different states have vastly different population levels, yes?
Sorry, I don't really understand how your question relates to what I said.

Perhaps I was too subtle for you but when I said: 'Clearly, this only represents exactly what it says on the tin', I thought most would pick up on it being a clear reference to the headline nature of the map and article. Notwithstanding the shallow nature of the article I'm still curious as to how Man City could be more popular than United in one state, Spurs more popular in half a dozen states and all told United only being the most popular in around a third of the states....and that's before we even get onto the topic of PSG being so popular..

Congratulations on being huge in Alaska but any thoughts on PSG and Spurs?

RoyH1

Sorry, I don't really understand how your question relates to what I said.

Perhaps I was too subtle for you but when I said: 'Clearly, this only represents exactly what it says on the tin', I thought most would pick up on it being a clear reference to the headline nature of the map and article. Notwithstanding the shallow nature of the article I'm still curious as to how Man City could be more popular than United in one state, Spurs more popular in half a dozen states and all told United only being the most popular in around a third of the states....and that's before we even get onto the topic of PSG being so popular..

Congratulations on being huge in Alaska but any thoughts on PSG and Spurs?
PSG is the Neymar effect. The Instagram generation follows individuals, not organisations. The day Neymay is sold, PSG is nowhere near that popular (Mbappé's excellence notwithstanding).

el magico

Supports
Manchester City
PSG is the Neymar effect. The Instagram generation follows individuals, not organisations. The day Neymay is sold, PSG is nowhere near that popular (Mbappé's excellence notwithstanding).
Cheers.

Bearded One

Why is it taking the authorities time to sanction man city. Justice delayed is justice denied. These people are a stain on the game and must be banned from taking part in the business of football forthwith.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Will we be celebrating when they get a big points deduction and it means liverpool win the league?

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Will we be celebrating when they get a big points deduction and it means Liverpool win the league?
No. I'd rather Citeh won it - they're a nothing club hollowed out and filled with oil money, it means very little when they win stuff.

Liverpool, to be fair to them are a proper club, with a rich history, and they've waited decades to win the League - they'll be soooo annoying when they win it again.

Bearded One

Been very busy with work and family duties so not been able to follow the news as much as I'd have loved. Can someone intimate me about what exactly is happening with respect to thos case. Thanks in advance.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Been very busy with work and family duties so not been able to follow the news as much as I'd have loved. Can someone intimate me about what exactly is happening with respect to thos case. Thanks in advance.
Yes I can summarise.
The authorities are going to impose the below sanctions

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
No. I'd rather Citeh won it - they're a nothing club hollowed out and filled with oil money, it means very little when they win stuff.

Liverpool, to be fair to them are a proper club, with a rich history, and they've waited decades to win the League - they'll be soooo annoying when they win it again.
"if" is the key word.
Fans and owners are fickle, and things can change quickly, and without warning in football.

I'll always use the first Mourinho Chelsea team as a great example.
They had a terrific team and you couldn't see how we'd overhaul them.

Then a couple of players left them, Chelsea imploded a bit, we brought in Ronaldo/Rooney, and things changed.

City and Liverpool will fade again. Hopefully the latter very soon

C'est Moi Cantona

They summed this up quite well on Sunday Supplement last week, in that Uefa are basically scared of City and PSG, as they know if they try and press home any punishment too harshly then these clubs will set their lawyers on them, and lawyers paid for by these bottomless pits will be the best in the business, and they just don't want it.

It is what it is, we just need to accept it, and see it for what it is.

Jack - City Fan

Supports
Man City
They summed this up quite well on Sunday Supplement last week, in that Uefa are basically scared of City and PSG, as they know if they try and press home any punishment too harshly then these clubs will set their lawyers on them, and lawyers paid for by these bottomless pits will be the best in the business, and they just don't want it.

I never understood this complaint, fear of lawyers doing what exactly? Lawyers and mafioso thugs going to go round Ed Woodward’s house. All lawyers can do is appeal the legality of the rules and they’d be found either valid or void. If they’re void then that should be found out too.

WensleyMU

Thing is, that excuse doesn't wash. Others can afford these hyper lawyers yet still face punishment from the EU, EC and ECJ.

The more likely issue is that UEFA is corrupt to the core and should someone look deep enough, payments to offshore accounts could be traced to various officials from City and PSG owners.

It's how these things operate

C'est Moi Cantona

I never understood this complaint, fear of lawyers doing what exactly? Lawyers and mafioso thugs going to go round Ed Woodward’s house. All lawyers can do is appeal the legality of the rules and they’d be found either valid or void. If they’re void then that should be found out too.
Sure it comes down to them calling their bluff on FFP, whether this is legal or not is irrelevant, the fact they would either have to fight (and pay for) this with their own lawyers, or back down and pull the plug on it, is probably not very appealing.

To me a lot of damage is been done with these 'leaks' anyway, without Uefa doing their token bit aswell.

C'est Moi Cantona

Thing is, that excuse doesn't wash. Others can afford these hyper lawyers yet still face punishment from the EU, EC and ECJ.

The more likely issue is that UEFA is corrupt to the core and should someone look deep enough, payments to offshore accounts could be traced to various officials from City and PSG owners.

It's how these things operate
There is no one, we know there is massive corruption in football, the fact we have City and PSG laughing at the established big clubs, and Qatar hosting the next World Cup tells you all you need to know, it's just a case of when people get bored of the whole thing now.

Last edited: