Oil Money in Football | New City expose

The Irish Connection

Guy Incognito

If City gets away with this again then I'm done with football. At the very least they should be banned from participation in European cups and relegated.
Oh but they will get away with it. They already have done. No one is brave enough to challenge them. Governing bodies or managers.

I'm not worried about City in the long term because someone will trump them. We thought Chelsea wouldn't wobble under Abramovich and they did. The environment in English football is far more competitive than Germany or France.

Guy Incognito

Great post. I've been saying this for a while, I can't call Pep Guardiola an all time great until he goes to a club where he's actually challenged. All three clubs he's managed in his career have been almost perfect jobs for him. I would love to see him go and challenge himself by taking on an underdog team with a small budget and a squad that needs re-built. It would be fascinating to see what he could do without a world class player in nearly every position.
Surely it's a challenge to go to a top team and win the lot? To some extent he failed at Bayern, not winning a European Cup. City it remains to be seen.

He is a top manager but Lineker's comments about English football being 'grateful' for having him is vomit inducing. Especially when you consider someone like Wenger came in, spent a fraction of what Pep has and got his double team to play football far more imaginative and fluid than anything we see now.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
I am so, so tired of everyone proclaiming Pep as a genius.
Genius, is what SAF did during United’s glory years. On a realistic budget and mixing in players that were not necessarily brilliant, but they worked as part of a team.
What Pep does is attainable by any half decent manager on the unlimited (and mostly undeclared) budget that City have.
Yeah, it’s great to implement a system where every player can pass the ball brilliantly and get away with cynical fouls when they lose the ball. But that doesn’t come cheap. Every other team has numerous fillers in their 1st 11. City don’t. They have a bench full of players that walk into every other team in the league.
Pep failed miserably in his first season, all things considered. Then he was given what he asked for to improve the squad.
I’m not going to defend Jose in any way. This team has underperformed terribly. But anyone that thinks City are ‘good’ for the game are living in la-la land.
Pep is great with a squad that is head and shoulders above every other team in the league. But he could never have done what SAF did with United, or Jose did with Porto and Inter. Or even what Ranieri did with Leicester.
The only thing I’ll give him credit for, is being very selective and picking situations that can’t fail.

So in that respect should Ronaldo sign for real Betis instead of Madrid, Messi go back to Burnley to prove they are one of the best of their generation, Guarduola has proven himself to be one of the best managers of his generation, if you can't see that then frankly you're mad.

Rajma

British journalists are mostly corrupt scumbags, hopefully, they have unpleasant dreams at night as they’re taking money covered in blood.

Fridge chutney

The point is that it has been known for years that City have been less than honest with their financial dealings. The BBC Panorama programme five or six years ago showed how the Sheik personally profited from a share deal after he via a company he was Chairman of, lent Barclays billions of dollars after the crash of 2008. Barclays were not bailed out by the Government largely so the Executives could still pay themselves bonuses. So the Chairman of a company lending money to a bank and buying shares at a knock down price to some looks like a bribe. The paper trail is long and secretive and even a dozen Forensic accountants couldn’t trace all of it in two weeks. The shares, held as warrants, eventually turned up at an investment company called pcp3 owned by guess who, the Sheik. He bought the warrants at 197.7 p. He has made close to £2.2bn profit from this deal and paid no UK tax. The arrangement is complex but apparently not illegal.

Man City however are part of a competition run by UEFA and UEFA have rules as do the Premier League. The UK government have Laws regarding paying tax on income. City and their owners, have , again via complex financial arrangements, flouted these rules and laws. If other Football Clubs are doing this then they also should be challenged. It has emerged that Roberto Mancini’s salary was topped up via an off shore company by the Sheik. Mancini was supposed to be ‘an adviser’ to another club owned by the Sheik. Therefore £1.75m of Mancini’s salary didn’t appear in City’s books. I have said for years that I wouldn’t be surprised if some players, agents and other staff have similar schemes.

So the whole point is that City and it’s owners are corrupt and somewhere down the line I also suspect some Council staff will be found to be richer than normal with the Leader of the Council being a City fan and season ticket holder. How many companies get instant planning permission these days. FC United had to fight toooth and nail whilst the Sheik waltzed into acres and acres of land unhindered, which is why he bought them in the first place. The other pint is that the media are not reporting this as a big story other than in the southern press. BBC NW tonight haven’t mentioned it and SKY have avoided it which tells you all you need to know about the power of money.
The council were advised to not get in bed with Abu Dhabi by human rights campaigners. Sir Richard Leese and Sir Howard Bernstein rejected this recommendation, defending them as 'business people' and ignoring their human rights abuses.

Last year, Sir Howard Bernstein retired from the council and was employed by Abu Dhabi to oversee the project which he'd green lit.

I'm not saying that's corrupt, but it absolutely probably 100% is.

Manchester has a proud history of supporting the working classes and even Abraham Lincoln and the fight against slavery.

Indeed, Peterloo, an account of the murders of protesters at a mass pro-democracy protest in Manchester, has just been released at the cinemas. A film, which received its world premiere at a special LFF screening in Manchester, is now being championed by a city who sold itself out to a repressive, oil-rich state.

I'm sure Howard Bernstein sleeps in extreme comfort.

Richard Leese continues to sell off publicly owned spaces in Manchester to property developers from outside of the city and across the world. There's no suggestion that he profits from this personally, but he did get arrested for hitting a 16-year old girl in the face. So you wouldn't put corruption beyond his moral code or lack of.

Football aside, this is shameful.

Sadly, this is not uncommon in a city which seems determined to exchange its history and values for foreign investment.

A Labour council in name only.

I don't give a feck about FFP or dodgy sponsorship deals.

Looking past who this people are for short-term riches is intrinsically un-Mancunian.

The Citizens indeed.
Excellent posts, gentlemen, thank you. Several other excellent posts on this thread too.

Truly sickening. I've always had zero respect for City and been called bitter. But they are a rotten club so I just don't respect them.

It would be better for football if Liverpool won the league. Despite the insufferableness of it all.

Fridge chutney

Oliver Kay and Oliver Holt are sycophantic morally questionable cretins.

And they are shite journalists.

Basically sports journos named Oliver are bad.

Mordownm35

Supports
Manchester cIty
False equivalence between the present day human rights abuses in the UAE and centuries old issues. You're clutching at straws. By your logic we shouldn't trade with Italy because of atrocities committed by the Roman Empire.

Out of interest, what are your thoughts on the main allegations recently highlighted by Der Spiegel which are; false sponsorship figures, player wages worth £30m paid from 3rd party companies to reduce City wage bill and Mancini being given an advisor role in Abu Dhabi to more than double his wage from City?
That’s not my logic that’s your own fans logic I’m just highlighting the ludicrous nature of it in my post, glad to see you have picked up on it. You have to be consistent with your outrage and people are not so thank you for picking up on the ridiculousness it is makes it much easier to debate.

And as I have said in a previous post couldn’t care less about the origins of the sponsorship payments. FFP is a myth that people of successful, or previously successful, clubs have picked up on to justify keeping the established order. We found a way around it to stay competitive and uefa never acted further because they knew that if challenged the law could not be upheld in court. Your anger should not be directed at city but at the people who brought in FFP as these “allegations” are perfectly legal under uefa law. If city were rubbish and getting these payments fans would think it hilarious. It’s only because City are brilliant at the moment that united fans are unhappy with it.

WensleyMU

So in that respect should Ronaldo sign for real Betis instead of Madrid, Messi go back to Burnley to prove they are one of the best of their generation, Guarduola has proven himself to be one of the best managers of his generation, if you can't see that then frankly you're mad.
He's a very good manager in the right situation. Nobody knows what he's like when he doesn't have everything laid on a plate for him. He will probably succeed, but we don't know

Also, how amazing was Messi when he played for Burnley though? Can't wait for him to go back!!

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

PaulRich

I work out in the UAE and there are high level eyebrows getting raised here about where the Abu Dhabi silver is being spent. Etihad would be bankrupt anywhere else in the world; they're getting a brand new airport terminal which is years behind and is an absolute shambles and a total financial basket case and their financial vehicles - Aabar and Mubadala cant even pay office salaries let alone fund the infrastructure projects they were initially set up for.

Kaldoon may have a little less to spend in future.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Haven't Etihad not posted a profit in about 15 years? Sure I read that somewhere recently.

The only thing that can be admired about City is the way they play the game and their coach. Everything else quite frankly is an absolute disgrace. Some of these allegations, which most people have suspected long before, are basically admitting the game is bent beyond belief.

The stuff about Mancini, Etihad deal being topped up significantly among others, Infantino having secret meetings with City n PSG. The whole thing is a joke really.

I do like Pep and most of their players even as a die hard red. But it's all been achieved on lies, oil and bribes sadly.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Haven't Etihad not posted a profit in about 15 years? Sure I read that somewhere recently.

The only thing that can be admired about City is the way they play the game and their coach. Everything else quite frankly is an absolute disgrace. Some of these allegations, which most people have suspected long before, are basically admitting the game is bent beyond belief.

The stuff about Mancini, Etihad deal being topped up significantly among others, Infantino having secret meetings with City n PSG. The whole thing is a joke really.

I do like Pep and most of their players even as a die hard red. But it's all been achieved on lies, oil and bribes sadly.
It's worth repeating that they are not the only ones having secret meetings. When you read the leaks it's quite clear that the main culprit is the UEFA, they are conniving with every wealthy clubs whether it is the "Petro Clubs" or the "Aristocrats". As football fans we should at least recognize that and realize that it's the mid and small size clubs that are getting fleeced by the organization supposed to take care of all European clubs.

PaulRich

Theyre haemoraging money on top of buying failures like Alitalia and Air Berlin. Thinking here is that they will merge with Emirates.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
A question for City fans.
If it had been for example, Leeds United that had been bought by your owners, rather than yourselves, would you be similarly disgusted about the situation?
It really could have been any club that they bought. Newcastle or West Ham...
Same Question to PSG fans and Lyon had the investment, not you?
Before Qatar, I think PSG fans just did want the team to be competitive and able to qualify for the Champions League from time to time whatever the competitive landscape.

As far as I'm concerned, I have mixed feelings: very great to see the best players in Paris but extremely boring not to have strong local challengers in the long run. The balance is positive because now a French club is now capable to challenge other great clubs in the long run.I would welcome Marseille acquired by the UAE to make the league more enticing.

In terms of ethics, which business or sector of our society is not corrupt? Are clubs and players based in Liverpool, Lyon, Arsenal, Dortmund, AS Roma...poor and necessarily more deserving?
What about small cities which can't compete with rich and big ones? I would even say the football industry is more open and healthy than any other industries in which big companies destroy or acquire small ones. Rich clubs are required to overpay and inject more money in the circus as the small clubs are smarter than in the past.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
It's worth repeating that they are not the only ones having secret meetings. When you read the leaks it's quite clear that the main culprit is the UEFA, they are conniving with every wealthy clubs whether it is the "Petro Clubs" or the "Aristocrats". As football fans we should at least recognize that and realize that it's the mid and small size clubs that are getting fleeced by the organization supposed to take care of all European clubs.
Obvious

Guy Incognito

I work out in the UAE and there are high level eyebrows getting raised here about where the Abu Dhabi silver is being spent. Etihad would be bankrupt anywhere else in the world; they're getting a brand new airport terminal which is years behind and is an absolute shambles and a total financial basket case and their financial vehicles - Aabar and Mubadala cant even pay office salaries let alone fund the infrastructure projects they were initially set up for.

Kaldoon may have a little less to spend in future.
Given the money clubs make re TV deals, they'll still spend big in the context of football.

Fluctuation0161

That’s not my logic that’s your own fans logic I’m just highlighting the ludicrous nature of it in my post, glad to see you have picked up on it. You have to be consistent with your outrage and people are not so thank you for picking up on the ridiculousness it is makes it much easier to debate.

And as I have said in a previous post couldn’t care less about the origins of the sponsorship payments. FFP is a myth that people of successful, or previously successful, clubs have picked up on to justify keeping the established order. We found a way around it to stay competitive and uefa never acted further because they knew that if challenged the law could not be upheld in court. Your anger should not be directed at city but at the people who brought in FFP as these “allegations” are perfectly legal under uefa law. If city were rubbish and getting these payments fans would think it hilarious. It’s only because City are brilliant at the moment that united fans are unhappy with it.
What tosh.

If FFP is so bad then City should have challenged the rules. Not signed up to them and cheated multiple ways to cook the books. From player wages, to dodgy inflated sponsorships to manager wages.

Your argument about FFP is so ridiculous its hardly worth a response.

Bearded One

They are a bunch of cheats and I wish they continued with Pellegrini or hired another manager of that ilk. I remember never seeing them as a threat to football all this while despite having loads and loads of money I always had that sense that they would waste it on the likes of Bony, Mangala, Dzeko, Jovetic, Negredo, Jesus Navas, etc.

I recall that even after they had spent millions upon millions, their best players still remained their old gaurd namely Aguero, Silva, Kompany and Yaya. Only KDB was the new performing player highlighting their utter wastefulness. They did hit the jackpot by employing Pep whose signings have been mostly spot on and has also taken some of the underperfomers to a new level.

On sunday I was raged by the gulf in class in both teams that I just walked away at 3:1.
Who will bring us back to the glory days?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

Absolute shite of the lowest grade.

City found a way to circumvent FFP regulations in order to blow their competition aside, not to remain competitive. They cheated the rules so they could gain an unfair advantage on those that would challenge them. Had City stayed within the guidelines set by FFP regulations and spent only what they made in revenue, they wouldn't have anything like the team of superstars they have right now. For you to suggest otherwise is a blatant lie.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Absolute shite of the lowest grade.

City found a way to circumvent FFP regulations in order to blow their competition aside, not to remain competitive. They cheated the rules so they could gain an unfair advantage on those that would challenge them. Had City stayed within the guidelines set by FFP regulations and spent only what they made in revenue, they wouldn't have anything like the team of superstars they have right now. For you to suggest otherwise is a blatant lie.
And Pep would have had zero interest in the job either.

AP88

Supports
Man City
They are a bunch of cheats and I wish they continued with Pellegrini or hired another manager of that ilk. I remember never seeing them as a threat to football all this while despite having loads and loads of money I always had that sense that they would waste it on the likes of Bony, Mangala, Dzeko, Jovetic, Negredo, Jesus Navas, etc.

I recall that even after they had spent millions upon millions, their best players still remained their old gaurd namely Aguero, Silva, Kompany and Yaya. Only KDB was the new performing player highlighting their utter wastefulness. They did hit the jackpot by employing Pep whose signings have been mostly spot on and has also taken some of the underperfomers to a new level.

On sunday I was raged by the gulf in class in both teams that I just walked away at 3:1.
Who will bring us back to the glory days?
To be fair Pellegrini coached City amid the faux-FFP ‘compliance’ - Pep added the likes of Stones and Sane to the same squad and only finished 3rd. Had Mancini or Pellegrini been able to spend the £500m Pep has had on top of the squads they coached to the title, they’d have similarly monopolised too; their squad players were Adam Johnson, Scott Sinclair, Navas, Javi Garcia etc, not fecking Gundogan, Bernardo, Mahrez and Otamendi.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Their owners are most concerned about their image. I'd love to see enormous banners highlighting their human rights record when they come to OT.

FujiVice

I'll get a sex change and rename myself FujitaVice if they get any major punishment. The game is corrupt and if you can afford a giant brush, you can sweep anything under the carpet. City play great football, but they're a fecking joke club.

stevoc

Uefa's competitions are basically by invitation, you gain an invitation by winning trophies or league finishes etc. Uefa can make whatever rules they want as they did FFP that teams must abide by to gain entry. If a team fails to meet the requirements for entry to European competition either by low league position or not adhering to financial regulations then they won't have much cause for complaint. The rules are known and every team has to abide by them (or should have to) or not be invited, a team could no more sue Uefa for not being invited to the Champions League for failing FFP than they could sue Uefa for not getting invited for finishing 6th.

I seriously doubt Uefa have allowed City to flout FFP because they are afraid of a legal challenge. They've let them do what they want because there are probably loads of UEFA big wigs getting massive bribes. UEFA are as corrupt as FIFA were/are.

Matst1

Interesting read:

The scale and scope of the City Football Group operation worldwide dwarf any competitors. It allows the City Football Group to spread overhead across more entities but it is also possible to move expenses around in a more arbitrary manner to alleviate any licensing, Financial Fair Play and/or cost control regulations.

A closer examination of the City Football Group and Manchester City’s financial statements for 2016/17 leaves us wondering how expenses have been shared across the family of accounts and whether or not Manchester City is being “subsidized” by other teams.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bobbym...k-city-fc-and-melbourne-city-fc/#65532a1830a4

Fridge chutney

Martin Samuel is on the City offshore payroll. Seldom has one man's head been seen so far up a club's arse.

Classical Mechanic

Their owners are most concerned about their image. I'd love to see enormous banners highlighting their human rights record when they come to OT.
"We are acknowledging that how we are handling this project is telling a lot to the world about how we are,". "The UAE is different from other Arab countries. People think the Arab world is one, but it is not. This is showing the world the true essence of who Abu Dhabi is and what Abu Dhabi is about. That is something new, something we didn't really plan for."

Khaldoon Al-Mubarak 2009

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/sep/18/manchester-city-abu-dhabi-mubarak

City are you nothing more than a propaganda machine for a corrupt and brutal regime.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Guarantee Sky and BT would not broadcast it.

It's embarrassing how City fans are happy to overlook this sort of stuff.

I'd be finished with United if the Saudis took over.

OldSchoolManc

Martin Samuel is on the City offshore payroll. Seldom has one man's head been seen so far up a club's arse.

Real enemies?
He’s got to be on the payroll!
City have made the Premier league a laughing stock!
They are like The Harlem Globetrotters!
That cnut Sterling thought he was in The Harlem Globetrotters at the end of the derby!
Knob.

Nanook

Real enemies?
City have made the Premier League a laughing stock!
That cnut Sterling thought he was in The Harlem Globetrotters at the end of the derby!
Knob.
They’ve had their current owners for a decade now and it’s only the last two years where they’ve looked much better than everybody else. Chelsea looked unstoppable back in 2004-2006 but they were caught, same will happen to City.

Handsome Devil

Ok, genuine question here on legalities and technicalities. If UEFA found irregularities and banned them from European competition for say 5 years ( not holding my breath), would the FA be obliged to act, even though no Premiership rules have been broken, but they are still representatives of English football in European competition?

Handsome Devil

Real enemies?
City have made the Premier League a laughing stock!
Knob.
Definitely, he even encourages more new money. Does the fool not realise you would be swapping one so called elite for an even more greedy and immoral new one?

PaulRich

Living in Dubai and working in Abu Dhabi the whole Citeh thing is piss funny.

Judgement Day came for me when I was watching the Saturday game(s) in my local bar and when asked why he supported Citeh an Egyptian guy responded "I used to support Chelsea but Man City - they are an Arab club now...." I, and a few other reds just turned and pissed ourselves laughing "you'll do for me son" was the general theme of the replies.

In short, even the most ardent blue knows deep down that as a club they have become a parody of everything City stood for, good or bad and they really are nothing more than an oil sheiks penis extension. The fall from grace is going to be biblical. I'm going to ride out our current bad times, grab some popcorn and wait for that day.

OldSchoolManc

If and when City are punished as they should be, it will be the funniest thing ever.
Will shut the hypocritical idiots up forever.