Old Trafford Naming Rights or Antoine Griezmann

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Because my job title and my missus' bloody hair colour aren't part of a deep heritage.
I personally think it's just a name, if the club wanted to knock down the stadium and build a new one it's a different issue.

It's the same stadium, just a different name. if Pringles decide to rename their Pringles I wouldn't care.

Carrington was renamed, nobody cared. Yet it brings in 150 Million.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Only if we sold our souls to Tesco like West Ham. Old Tesco/Tesco Trafford/TescoSwamp/Tesco Stadium GGMU.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
As long as the price is right and the money from it is invested in the club (not in debt, not in dividends) then absolutely yes.

Who the feck gives a shit how the name is officially written? Everyone will call it Old Trafford anyway, and we would get top player(s) from that money.
Yeah, until somehow we end up with the Impregnable Durex Arena, for 150M any average Joe and Jane company can afford to buy it just for the sake of it. Heck if you're talking about 150M the Sheikh won't mind buying our rights and rename them the Lesser Manchester City Stadium

pacifictheme

Wouldn't bother me- all the top sports teams especially state side do it.
It happening in the souless world of state side sports, where teams regularly move cities for more support and money, isn't a great example in my opinion.

The only thing that would make me want OT renamed would be if it saved the club.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Not sure what the problem is regarding naming rights, the fans will still call it Old Trafford anyway and more money to buy players, like other's have said will only be a matter of time before it happens and lets be honest there aint much we can do about it, thats why i cant be bothered with united fans moaning about the price Pogba is going to cost, i for one would rather see us paying big fee's then see it sitting in the glazers pockets.
Eh.. not really, that's what people think , but give it 5-10 years the name would really be forgotten. There has been many stadium renaming and it does stick after a while.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Yeah, until somehow we end up with the Impregnable Durex Arena, for 150M any average Joe and Jane company can afford to buy it just for the sake of it. Heck if you're talking about 150M the Sheikh won't mind buying our rights and rename them the Lesser Manchester City Stadium
The agreement in naming rights would be done in a legally binding contract. You wouldn't go "Ok you've bought the rights now pick a name".

It's not like it'll go to a poll like Boaty McBoatface.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Not for Griezmann specifically. But for big money in general? Definitely!

It's a name; it's really not that big a deal, in my opinion. Life moves on.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Eh.. not really, that's what people think , but give it 5-10 years the name would really be forgotten. There has been many stadium renaming and it does stick after a while.
What about Carrington and the AON Training complex.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I personally think it's just a name, if the club wanted to knock down the stadium and build a new one it's a different issue.

It's the same stadium, just a different name. if Pringles decide to rename their Pringles I wouldn't care.

Carrington was renamed, nobody cared. Yet it brings in 150 Million.
I think you're missing the point. United are a club we all love, and nearly as long as we've been United we've played at Old Trafford. Not adidas Old trafford, or Pringles old Trafford, or boddingtons old Trafford. To me, it's nearly as bad as changing the colour of the kit.

We're not Newcastle United, although to be fair their fans were fuming too.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I have no idea how and where that AON comes from, but it sticks after a few years. Besides the flow of time will always favor the new name, it's just a matter of time
Carrington was renamed in 2013 to The Aon Training Complex (3 years ago) yet nobody called it that.

GJNJ

Is that even a question?

A naming rights for only a 100M - 150M to buy a Griezman?? Seriously??

You could post a good question if it's for funding a posh new 100k stadium, but if the club decided they'd sell the OT naming rights just to buy a flavor of the last 5 years player in Griezmann then good grief there'll be protest in the ground.

There's people here that doesn't want Pogba because they think he's not worth 100M, let alone renaming the Old Trafford for 1 player
No it isn't serious, I wasn't giving people the option, I didn't even say I wanted this to happen, I don't have Ed on the other line waiting to pull the trigger.

Sure undersold the amounts and the way people would take the thread to heart. I only plucked Griezmann name out as he had been mentioned a fair bit. I was expecting people to say it would take a lot more than that or not for any amount or even yes because it doesn't bother me.

Sorry I didn't ask the question in the way you wanted it.

Murray3007

if you are a genuine fan of United it will be Old Trafford, might stick if it was a new stadium but as for a an existing stadium i just can't see it, like i have seen posted allready how many people still call the training ground Carrington compared to what it is called now

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
No it isn't serious, I wasn't giving people the option, I didn't even say I wanted this to happen, I don't have Ed on the other line waiting to pull the trigger.

Sure undersold the amounts and the way people would take the thread to heart. I only plucked Griezmann name out as he had been mentioned a fair bit. I was expecting people to say it would take a lot more than that or not for any amount or even yes because it doesn't bother me.

Sorry I didn't ask the question in the way you wanted it.
Put it politely speaking it's a moot question.

Scholsey2004

Carrington was renamed in 2013 to The Aon Training Complex (3 years ago) yet nobody called it that.
Carrington is relatively new though isnt it. The training ground used to be at The Cliff when i was younger. Old Trafford isnt comparable to Carrington. If we're asking a serious question regarding would manchester united fans accept a renamed stadium then no, obviously. Of course what we could actually do about it is another question...

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Carrington is relatively new though isnt it. The training ground used to be at The Cliff when i was younger. Old Trafford isnt comparable to Carrington. If we're asking a serious question regarding would manchester united fans accept a renamed stadium then no, obviously. Of course what we could actually do about it is another question...
Carrington (THE AON TRAINING COMPLEX) is 16 years old, it opened the year after the Treble was won.

It's the human equivalent of a hipster child with an iPhone, it's new in terms of a building but 16 years is still a long time. Architecturally new? maybe.

Old Trafford is an iconic stadium, and place in sport. It's 106 years old, It's the 4th Oldest sporting arena in the world (Anfield is older in English Football).

It'd still be known as Old Trafford by people, and the Theatre of Dreams.

So it's essentially a protected monument but it doesn't mean the naming rights couldn't be sold.

A companies name could be the Suffix of the title, such as BT Old Trafford Arena, Virgin Old Trafford Arena. Contracts can stipulate the naming of it.

Virgin Theatre of Dreams, BT Theatre of Dreams. Shirts have sponsors, Players have Sponsors, things do more forward in Football.

The stadium wouldn't change as a result. As a business you should always look to increase revenue streams so I don't personally see harm in it.

Tiber

For other clubs it would be an interesting point. But clubs like United could find the money to sign Pogba and Griezmann in one day if they really wanted it that badly

Scholsey2004

Carrington (THE AON TRAINING COMPLEX) is 16 years old, it opened the year after the Treble was won.

It's the human equivalent of a hipster child with an iPhone, it's new in terms of a building but 16 years is still a long time. Architecturally new? maybe.

Old Trafford is an iconic stadium, and place in sport. It's 106 years old, It's the 4th Oldest sporting arena in the world (Anfield is older in English Football).

It'd still be known as Old Trafford by people, and the Theatre of Dreams.

So it's essentially a protected monument but it doesn't mean the naming rights couldn't be sold.

A companies name could be the Suffix of the title, such as BT Old Trafford Arena, Virgin Old Trafford Arena. Contracts can stipulate the naming of it.

Virgin Theatre of Dreams, BT Theatre of Dreams. Shirts have sponsors, Players have Sponsors, things do more forward in Football.

The stadium wouldn't change as a result. As a business you should always look to increase revenue streams so I don't personally see harm in it.
Sorry bud, thats still greasy.

SirScholes

You should of seen the newcastle fans when they tried to sell st James park rights, it was chaos.
Not going to happen in the near future and rightly so

GJNJ

Have a word with yourself OP.
Fair enough, i will only post something that is completely bland in future or that i am sure everyone else is in absolute agreement. Failing that i shall be just be self righteous and or passive aggressive.

In Rainbows

I would never want the naming rights sold to that. I think we are well off already.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Everything has a price, but to sell out the history and prestige of our stadium it would have to be a lot (LOT) more than £150m for me to be happy with it. Add a few more zeros and I might be interested.

If we were moving to a new stadium I think the naming rights should be a topic of discussion, but you shouldn't just crap on our heritage for short term gains unless we're in a completely desperate situation, which we aren't.

Globule

You should of seen the newcastle fans when they tried to sell st James park rights, it was chaos.
Not going to happen in the near future and rightly so
Did they even sell the naming rights? Wasn't it essentially free advertising for their owner's business? Or at the least well below market rate.

Globule

I wonder how much Old Spice would pay for the naming rights? Would be perfect because you wouldn't have to change the name, just expand it a little bit.

Old Spice Trafford
Or better yet, Ford. Old TrafFord.

SirScholes

Did they even sell the naming rights? Wasn't it essentially free advertising for their owner's business? Or at the least well below market rate.
To be fair you might be right, Ashley owns both sports direct and Newcastle, they called it sports direct to show potential sponsors how it could work....badly is how it worked, very badly

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Old Trafford. I wouldn't even think about it, no matter who the player is.

People may dismiss the history and culture of a club as irrelevant nowadays and call this a choice of success over sentimentality but I disagree. Those names carry memories which are what bonds us (me), to the club. It's what connects me to it and what allows me to experience the ups and downs as my own. Players come and go, you're a fan of something else. Take that away and all success is meaningless to the fan. We have no involvement in it, without this sentimental bond. Old Trafford is part of this.