Old Trafford Naming Rights or Antoine Griezmann

notcool

Supports
a
Not for Old Trafford. If it was a new stadium, however, I would definitely sell naming rights. I guess that's not the point though.

Ananke

The OP should be embarrassed. It's a terrible question.

150m over 5 years to change the name of the stadium? 30 million a year? That's chump change in football these days. Whoever is paying that and making it happen will be laughing their balls off.

VanGaalEra

:lol: :lol:

We can sign Griezmann without selling the stadium name and no one wants to sell the stadium name!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's an interesting one though isn't it.

We're a club who whore out almost everything that can be sponsored. We have partners in tonneloads of things.
So in a way i'm pretty surprised they haven't entertained it.

Barcelona didn't used to have a shirt sponsor, and now they do. Things change.

I wonder if £100m a year would do it.

ReDDHDevilS

Surely this has to be a joke of the highest order!

When we can easily afford to spend 150m+ without even the CL (and it shouldn't be any different for the next few years), why would we need to rename OT? And that too sign a player? Ridiculous to say the least!

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Wouldn't be the absolutely end of the world, because it's always going to be known as Old Trafford. The Adidas Arena, or the Aeroflot Stadium might be right by definition if it happened, but in conversation it will always be Old Trafford.
This, the naming thing is a sham, no one use the commercial name. Like Carrington is still Carrington and the Millenium Stadium will live forever.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
People have became mental in this place. It's definitely time to stop reading football forum here. Absolutely mental state.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Let's be honest, everyone will still call it Old Trafford anyway.

podurban2

People have became mental in this place. It's definitely time to stop reading football forum here. Absolutely mental state.
:lol: This is usually how it is during the summers though, this place is awful bar some of the muppetry and Olly's gifs.

Ravelation

Krump at me Bro
Wait, Wait, Wait, Wait, Wait, Wait.... WAIT!
did you just say ''Boddington's old trafford stadium'' :lol:, The Theatre of Drunks?

Surely this is a joke, surely, i'm wasting one of my 5 posts just to explain how hilarious i find this thread, absolutely bonkers. Griezzman? :lol:.
I'm done... WAIT! I just re-read it, you said 150m over 5 years! :lol:.
I wish i could record a voice note to show you how much I am genuinely laughing to myself, oh gosh, this was too much.

In all serious, Old trafford has history, history which cannot be bought for 150m, It is one of the most famous stadiums In world sport, it would have to be close to half a billion for serious consideration by United, it was 750m paid by Addias a year ago for our shirt sponsorship for ten years.

Oakie

Never!
I dont think i could stand it if the Name was changed Old Trafford is as famous as some teams,
no amount of money is worth more than our history.

Steve the Red

How about if we were bought by a company and the whole club was renamed to, say, Chevrolet Manchester? Like Red Bull, etc, in other countries. /s

stevoc

Abramovich has never sold out on Stamford Bridge so this gives me confidence Old Trafford is here for a good while yet.
I think i remember reading they explored the option but the going rate for sponsoring an existing stadium wasn't enough for them to consider it.

Unless of course you are Man City and a kindly company from Abu Dhabi offers to sponsor your stadium for above market price out of the goodness of their hearts.

RooneyLegend

Here's a different scenario, what if Eddy sold stadium rights to slash ticket prices? Would fans be game? Barclays Old Trafford in order to pay a quarter of the fee that's been payed for matches?

Grande

There is a real simple solution for those who feel more for star players, money and silverware than for what constitutes Manchester United.

A) start cheering for Atletico Madrid. Their stadium name is not Old Trafford, and Antoine Griezman already plays for them.

B) In addition, start cheering for Real Madrid. They play in all white (like Leeds), but they have won more silver than anyone.

C) on top of that, get yourself a Manchester is blue-tattoo. For just a slight name change, keeping most of the name in fact, you get stinking rich owners, the worlds hottest manager and a lovely arena in a beautiful, rain-drenched town in Northern England.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I've always wondered how valuable stadium rights really are? Look at Arsenal, for example. They didn't get a great deal to name their stadium the Emirates. In future, when that deal finally ends, how much can they realistically expect from another sponsor? Surely the value to any potential sponsor isn't great because it's not easy to disassociate the stadium from its previous sponsor.

Or let's take an established stadium name, like the Nou Camp. This is an historic stadium that is famous around the world. Of course companies would like their brand associated with it. But again, where is the value - it'll always be the Nou Camp to most fans.

Twisted Nerve

How about if we were bought by a company and the whole club was renamed to, say, Chevrolet Manchester? Like Red Bull, etc, in other countries. /s
I think I would rather slit my wrists. Where would it end? Rename the team to the Manchester Devils? Annoying baseball fanfare type jingles played throughout the ground when a goal is scored? No thank you.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
If it's just putting a sponsors name in front of Old Trafford, who gives a feck? Everyone but those that have to will still call it Old Trafford.

I would rather be relegated than lose the old Trafford name. It's that serious for me.
:lol:

Green_Red

£30,000,000 a year... is tbat all you think its worth? Our players were in hollywood blockbuster ads ffs!

Seriously though thats not even £2,000,000 a game, must be worth more than that

wizzard

It wouldn't really bother me provided Old Trafford stayed in the name, so it's dairy Lee presents Old Trafford stadium not The dairy Lee stadium as an example.

Secondly I'd like the money or at least a good portion to go into the club. Whether that's new players, training facilities or youth investment, it wouldn't bother me so long as it's not going straight to the Glaziers.

Twisted Nerve

It wouldn't really bother me provided Old Trafford stayed in the name, so it's dairy Lee presents Old Trafford stadium not The dairy Lee stadium as an example.

Secondly I'd like the money or at least a good portion to go into the club. Whether that's new players, training facilities or youth investment, it wouldn't bother me so long as it's not going straight to the Glaziers.
Doesn't matter what sponsor they use in the name, it would still sound shit. Old Trafford it is and Old Trafford it should continue to be.