Old Trafford Naming Rights or Antoine Griezmann

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
We could next season, but I doubt we would stump up the cash in this window after signing Pogba. I have always been in the No camp but seems invitable at some point.
Its an untapped revenue stream like having training kit sponsors, noodle sponsors not affiliated with the club.

It's a business and a stadium naming opportunity would drive big businesses such as Virgin, BT, Barclays, and so on chances to be a part of the United family.

If that means the BT Old Trafford Arena for £70M-£80M per season, the Barclays Old Trafford Arena. and so on, even having an extra sponsor on the back of the shirt at the back in the deal who cares.

It's an extra £80 Million per season, which gets an extra player, more incentives for players and exposure to the United brand.

Hell if it was Business like BT, United could have players on the adverts with "The Official Sponsor of United" and so on. Virgin could have branding opportunities with Usain Bolt, the United Players competing at the Virgin Theatre of Dreams and so on.

It's a huge untapped source of revenue.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
I wonder did most fans say the same about shirt sponsors?

Given the commercialization of the game it's actually amazing that it hasn't been done yet.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
You mean the Mino Raiola Stadium surely?

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
After securing Paul Pogba Ed is looking at his phone checking Man Utd's and Pogba's twitter hits and see's Antoine Griezmann has tweeted Pogba saying "Congrats, See you soon...Hopefully ;):drool::devil:, PS. I wish it would rain more in Spain :(". The tweet is quickly deleted.... this gets his muppet jucies flowing.

Some minutes later he is fastening his belt back up, he then fields a call from Boddingtons Brewery and they are reopening a new brewery and are going big on advertising. They want naming rights to Old Trafford and will pay £150m over 5 years to name it Boddingtons Old Trafford Stadium.

His first thoughts no because that fans will go ape shit but then thinks with the money he maybe able to trigger Griezmann's buyout clause and pay him for 5 years with the money.

What should Ed do?

Basically if it meant signing a player like Griezmann would anyone be fussed about the naming rights for Old Trafford?
BOTS!

Revan

Assumptionman
As long as the price is right and the money from it is invested in the club (not in debt, not in dividends) then absolutely yes.

Who the feck gives a shit how the name is officially written? Everyone will call it Old Trafford anyway, and we would get top player(s) from that money.

Coops73

Can't stand Boddingtons, it's piss but Boddingtons Old Trafford has a certain
Je ne sais quoi. Let's do it and to hell with the history and consequences.

Revan

Assumptionman
I would rather jump from a cliff than sit and watch Old Trafford losing its name.
feck that. Would much prefer a nuclear war than Old Trafford being renamed. I would probably even take a gamma radiation on the world instead of OT called something else.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
How much do we get for agreeing to replace our mascot with Graham the cow?

GJNJ

Wtf is this?

Renaming old Trafford for 1 griezman? U drunk?
It was more to get a gauge on on what people thoughts were on renaming the Old Trafford were...I'll put you down for a no then. I would be a no, but perhaps not as aggressively as others.

Theonas

Scout
Its an untapped revenue stream like having training kit sponsors, noodle sponsors not affiliated with the club.

It's a business and a stadium naming opportunity would drive big businesses such as Virgin, BT, Barclays, and so on chances to be a part of the United family.

If that means the BT Old Trafford Arena for £70M-£80M per season, the Barclays Old Trafford Arena. and so on, even having an extra sponsor on the back of the shirt at the back in the deal who cares.

It's an extra £80 Million per season, which gets an extra player, more incentives for players and exposure to the United brand.

Hell if it was Business like BT, United could have players on the adverts with "The Official Sponsor of United" and so on. Virgin could have branding opportunities with Usain Bolt, the United Players competing at the Virgin Theatre of Dreams and so on.

Because supporting 11 sweaty men who are chasing a ball and cheering for them to put it in a net is an absurd ridiculous activity for grown men to engage in. The only reason it makes sense is that the romantic side of it, the irrational clinging to traditions and values. The name of the stadium is at the top of those traditions as is the colours of the team, crest, and plenty of other little things depending on the individual. At a time when we're already enduring too many changes and our team is getting more unrecognisable each year, some of us are just clinging to something that makes that absurd activity of supporting a football club not entirely nonsensical.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Wouldn't bother me- all the top sports teams especially state side do it.
Some of the smaller, cash strapped clubs in the UK have already done this.
It will definitely happen to OT, too.
The question is when?

Tarrou

I'd prefer it to stay as Old Trafford but it wouldn't bother me that much if they changed it, it's just a name, and tbh I'd keep calling it Old Trafford anyway

Celestiale

It's not necessary, even if it would be under discussion. We don't need Griezmann now, with the current squad + Pogba we will rival the title anyway, CL is 100%. Rather buy him next year, when we can offer him CL football (+ possible win) as well. In that situation he might even push the move through a little, and make him a little bit more affordable for us. There isn't any danger that he is moving to another club as well, so.. let's wait :)

mu4c_20le

Only one man I'd ever consider renaming our stadium for, and that is Fergie.

Prodigal7

I'm not usually one for unnecessary pomp and tradition in place of reality, but OT is part of Uniteds sole. No way would I ever condone naming rights to the greatest and most prestigious stadium on the planet

HabeasC

We are potentially on the verge of breaking the world transfer record. Why would we do that if we clearly can afford to pay big fees at the minute?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I wouldn't sell naming rights for an immortal Griezmann, let alone one with a shelf life

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Because supporting 11 sweaty men who are chasing a ball and cheering for them to put it in a net is an absurd ridiculous activity for grown men to engage in. The only reason it makes sense is that the romantic side of it, the irrational clinging to traditions and values. The name of the stadium is at the top of those traditions as is the colours of the team, crest, and plenty of other little things depending on the individual. At a time when we're already enduring too many changes and our team is getting more unrecognisable each year, some of us are just clinging to something that makes that absurd activity of supporting a football club not entirely nonsensical.
Then the club should be renamed Newton Heath if you want to be steeped in tradition.

gormless

It's Old Trafford. Somebody could buy the naming rights but it's Old Trafford to everybody. I would imagine companies would know this and naming rights wouldn't be as valuable as a new stadium where there isn't a preexisting name

GJNJ

The only way I could see them doing it would be if the TV money bubble popped. We would still be in a much stronger position then the rest of the clubs in the Prem, in fact it would probably strenghen position, but that would probably create enough of a need/want for to cause a uproar in doing it.

Murray3007

Not sure what the problem is regarding naming rights, the fans will still call it Old Trafford anyway and more money to buy players, like other's have said will only be a matter of time before it happens and lets be honest there aint much we can do about it, thats why i cant be bothered with united fans moaning about the price Pogba is going to cost, i for one would rather see us paying big fee's then see it sitting in the glazers pockets.

the hea

I'd rather let Martial, De Gea, Zlatan, Mhkitaryan, Pogba and Fellaini leave for free than rename Old Trafford. Renaming Old Trafford would take away the last thing that really is Manchester United and we could as well change our name to Corporate United then.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
It's Old Trafford. Somebody could buy the naming rights but it's Old Trafford to everybody. I would imagine companies would know this and naming rights wouldn't be as valuable as a new stadium where there isn't a preexisting name
As an example, Carrington was renamed to the AON Training Complex in a 150M deal, yet everyone still calls it bloody Carrington.

Seveneric

Unless Griezmann was literally some kind of footballing deity and signing him would somehow 100% guarantee the CL & PL every season till football ceased to exist, then no

Theonas

Scout
Then the club should be renamed Newton Heath if you want to be steeped in tradition.
When did I say that? What is it with people and this black and white attitude? It is either zero tradition or we revert back to the 19th century? As I pointed out myself, we are enduring plenty of changes as it is, a lot of them were and are necessary and unavoidable. There is a line however and that line is different from one person to another. To argue though that traditions are entirely useless and have no place in football begs the question; why on earth would you support strange men because they happen to wear the right shirt colour? Why not simply pick whoever is winning if you want to get rid of things that make each club what it is? Traditions, however you define that, are the only thing that gives any credibility to what we are doing as football fans.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Unless Griezmann was literally some kind of footballing deity and signing him would somehow 100% guarantee the CL & PL every season till football ceased to exist, then no
So you're saying the basis of renaming a stadium is a player who somehow scores a few goals a game, and plays literally for eternity, never ages?

prath92

Highly doubtful club will do this. Most big clubs do these to new stadium. Emirates, Allianz Arena Etihad were all newly constructed. It's not like Arsenal renamed Highbury or Bayern renamed Munich Olympic stadium. I highly doubt United would name the stadium something else.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
It was more to get a gauge on on what people thoughts were on renaming the Old Trafford were...I'll put you down for a no then. I would be a no, but perhaps not as aggressively as others.
Is that even a question?

A naming rights for only a 100M - 150M to buy a Griezman?? Seriously??

You could post a good question if it's for funding a posh new 100k stadium, but if the club decided they'd sell the OT naming rights just to buy a flavor of the last 5 years player in Griezmann then good grief there'll be protest in the ground.

There's people here that doesn't want Pogba because they think he's not worth 100M, let alone renaming the Old Trafford for 1 player

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Why? would you be livid if your job title changes name too, or your missus changed her hair colour?
Because my job title and my missus' bloody hair colour aren't part of a deep heritage.

GJNJ

What is this nonsense?
Sorry for distracting you from the Pogba thread. :)

It was an attempt to moderately amuse while provoking some discussion.

Perhaps i should have gone with 'Old Trafford naming rights - What are your thoughts?