Old Trafford revamp/could be torn down and rebuilt according to Glazer plans

What’s your preference for Old Trafford?

• Rebuild

Votes: 714 48.4%
  • Renovate

Votes: 736 49.9%
  • Leave it as is

Votes: 26 1.8%

• Total voters

redcucumber

People just don't like change, which I can understand.

I'm sure though once/if it did get built, they'd soon appreciate all the modern features it could bring.

We could still make it look/feel the same way, just with a more modern and efficient approach.
What modern features would the average fan appreciate? I love OT. I don't care that it's a bit of a squeeze or that the WiFi connection is crap. Any new stadium design would have to be really innovative and unique, or it'd feel like a downgrade. Visiting a cookie cutter type bowl every couple of weeks wouldn't be the same.

predator

Youth NITK
It's about time now to be honest. The seating arrangement, the stairs, the access in general just isn't up to scratch.

Also the corporate hospitality is severely lacking aswell.

If we are bought by Saudis then I would be amazed if this isn't the first thing the look to do as they are very proficient in construction to be fair.

A new stadium is needed but there are a few caveats for me anyway.

Full rebuild but keep the pitch as and where it is. This would mean we would have to play elsewhere whilst they demolish the stands and build a new stadium though.

The iconic steel bracing holding the cantilevers are the most unique part of OT for me and can be seen from all parts of the stadium and Manchester. If they could somehow incorporate those into the new design I would be very happy.

I'm not too keen on modern bowl stadiums.

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
What modern features would the average fan appreciate? I love OT. I don't care that it's a bit of a squeeze or that the WiFi connection is crap. Any new stadium design would have to be really innovative and unique, or it'd feel like a downgrade. Visiting a cookie cutter type bowl every couple of weeks wouldn't be the same.
Heated seating, more leg room, better/faster + more food/drink stalls, modern toilets.

A roof that isn't leaking, elevators to the top instead of climbing 30 tight stairs etc.

I get it isn't an issue for you right now, but maybe once you get older you'll appreciate things like this. Our stadium should be able to cater for everybody.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
I was just looking out of interest at some of the biggest stadiums in the world - and most of them are College football ones!

Why are they bigger than the NFL ones?

Elcabron

If the small stand backing onto the rail line could be re built to match the other three and then improvements made to the other three that would be fine with me.

No to a soul less modern bowl stadium for me.

More important than the stadium for me is to clear the existing debt in full first, new owners or not. We can't build a new stadium when we are already 6 or 700m in debt.

JB7

I was just looking out of interest at some of the biggest stadiums in the world - and most of them are College football ones!

I looked into this a few years ago, there are a few reasons. The two main reasons seemed to be that tickets are much cheaper and second, the bigger college stadiums were usually in places that there wasn't a huge NFL team, so the college team was the team locals would go and watch, the benefit of watching the college team was that they wouldn't just up and leave one day, which obviously is a possibility with an NFL team.

But there was also the fact that college stadium could use benches rather than individual seats, as such cramming more people in and also there were TV blackout rules similar to what we have in the UK in local areas to encourage people to go to the game

SuperiorXI

I chose the renovate option. OT is steeped in history, it's magical whenever I visit. I wouldn't trade that for a soulless modern shit pot with better WiFi. Who gives a feck about WiFi? You're there to watch football.

Matthew84!

Anybody not wanting Utd to have a brand new 120.000 seater stadium, must be mad, yeah probably will have the new owners name on the side but get with the times, it only has to be done once for the next 30 years or so.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
I looked into this a few years ago, there are a few reasons. The two main reasons seemed to be that tickets are much cheaper and second, the bigger college stadiums were usually in places that there wasn't a huge NFL team, so the college team was the team locals would go and watch, the benefit of watching the college team was that they wouldn't just up and leave one day, which obviously is a possibility with an NFL team.

But there was also the fact that college stadium could use benches rather than individual seats, as such cramming more people in and also there were TV blackout rules similar to what we have in the UK in local areas to encourage people to go to the game
Ah.. okay yeah that all makes sense. Thanks for the info!

Maticmaker

The further in time we move on and away from the glory days of SAF, the more supporters will be likely to demand new build... an all 'singing all dancing' and 'Wi-fi'd up', stadium with a number of large sections for standing and both family/over 60's seating section(s).

It is likely the regenerated/renewed fan-base will be willing to lose the 'Theatre of Dreams' title (which will happen in the case of a new build) in favour of some new complex possibly developed out 'in the sticks' somewhere but within the M60. The access and egress issues that bedevil OT now, will be designed out and the income from naming the new stadium will buy us at least 3-4 WC players.

None of this of course will happen under the Glazer's!

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Heated seating, more leg room, better/faster + more food/drink stalls, modern toilets.

A roof that isn't leaking, elevators to the top instead of climbing 30 tight stairs etc.

I get it isn't an issue for you right now, but maybe once you get older you'll appreciate things like this. Our stadium should be able to cater for everybody.
It's not just wifi but all of this stuff. Older and disabled fans should be comfortable when watching the greatest football team in the world. I understand the attachment to Old Trafford but I will surrender to the opinion of the people who go every week.

stevoc

It's not the same building as it was 30 years ago though is it?
That's probably more of an argument for further renovation as opposed knocking Old Trafford down and building a new stadium in its place.

The club has invested significant amount of money into the ground over the last 30 years, the stadium has grown with the club. There's loads of different parts of the stadium added or redeveloped during various eras of the clubs history.

If Real and Barca can redevelop their current stadiums don't see why United can't do the same.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
I have some of the best seats available at Old Trafford (6 rows behind ETH, to the left) and I hate going. Cramped, can't see parts of the pitch, takes forever to get in, roof leaks on me. Legitimately prefer going to Aways at shitholes.

Stadium needs to be knocked down and rebuilt; forget all the 'steeped in history' and 'theatre of dreams' stuff, it's all there to create an allure.

Whether I'm attending the Allianz OT or current, run down OT, I'll still have the same fond memories of the past.

red thru&thru

The fans make the stadium. No thing such as soulless unless the fans make it that way.

Everything has a beginning. The most non-soulless stadiums had a beginning. It's what us as fans make the place. Let's not forget why the TRA were introduced at Old Trafford, which is non-soulless!

redcucumber

There is definitely such a thing as a building/stadium lacking 'soul' and character. Architecture and design is a real thing. It's very subjective, obviously, but weird to imply that it's not a thing.

RedPed

Whatabouter.

From what I understand, college football is more like your traditional UK club where it is rooted in the area that the establishment resides. So the locals have more of an affinity with it as it represents their town/city. It's permanent and some of these districts have large populations.. NFL clubs are franchises and are just plonked wherever the owners take a fancy to.

Imagine United uprooting, lock, stock and barrel to Bristol to capitalise on that catchment area and renaming themselves Bristol United then all the Bristolians adopting United as their new club. You get the idea.

Longshanks

I have some of the best seats available at Old Trafford (6 rows behind ETH, to the left) and I hate going. Cramped, can't see parts of the pitch, takes forever to get in, roof leaks on me. Legitimately prefer going to Aways at shitholes.

Stadium needs to be knocked down and rebuilt; forget all the 'steeped in history' and 'theatre of dreams' stuff, it's all there to create an allure.

Whether I'm attending the Allianz OT or current, run down OT, I'll still have the same fond memories of the past.
They are not the some of the best seats available by any stretch of the imagination. I sat in the south stand once twenty years ago and it felt dated and cramped then and the access and egress is straight into the bottleneck of the Munich tunnel aswell. Other than the south stand the rest of the stadium is quite good really and just in need of 'light refurbishment' some new toilets and concourse upgrades more than anything really.

But the South stand is old and poor and i suspect where the whole idea that Old Trafford is falling apart comes from because it's essentially the main stand where the TV gantry is and the press sit.

Replacing the South stand with a modern two or three tier super stand with all new media facilities and all new dressing rooms and some shiny new corporate facilities would be fantastic and make a huge difference. The problem is as we all know the proximity of the railway line and the problems that brings with doing any construction work and the only reason a new stadium is being considered is the associated cost of it.

red thru&thru

There is definitely such a thing as a building/stadium lacking 'soul' and character. Architecture and design is a real thing. It's very subjective, obviously, but weird to imply that it's not a thing.
Character and soul are 2 different things.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Can't wait to hear the final outcome - which will probably be a 10k new lick of paint for the internal stands.

red thru&thru

Can't wait to hear the final outcome - which will probably be a 10k new lick of paint for the internal stands.
Final outcome has already come...the Glazers need to sell (find investment) as the costs of new or rebuild is too much for them.

laughtersassassin

My heart says keep Old Trafford but at the same time you could argue it's an irresponsible waste if money to spend over a billion patching up the current stadium when 2 billion will build us a state if the art stadium......

It feels wrong to say but I'm leaning towards new stadium.

That's said realistically I'm happy with either.

Big Andy

Bloke
The problem is as we all know the proximity of the railway line and the problems that brings with doing any construction work and the only reason a new stadium is being considered is the associated cost of it.
NO IT ISN'T. It's a piece of piss to build over a railway. It's been done loads. It''s nowhere near as cost prohibitive as it was 20-30 years ago.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters

And also most of them pre-date the NFL

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
NO IT ISN'T. It's a piece of piss to build over a railway. It's been done loads. It''s nowhere near as cost prohibitive as it was 20-30 years ago.
Don't think Lou ,Macari would be happy, his chippy'd be a goner

Fried Chicken FC

There is definitely such a thing as tradition, soul and character.

Look at Green Bay in the NFL. A team just like us steeped in history. They built their current stadium in 1967 and the fans still sit on bleachers (benches). The stadium has been expanded but much of it is just like it was over 50 years ago with slight updates. Also, they are one of the only teams that will never move to a different area of the US.

So it is understandable that people don't want to move from Old Trafford. I do go every week by the way, so I'm not speaking as someone that does not go.

wolvored

Arsenal fans moaned when they left Highbury, another iconic stadium. 2016 They did a poll on one of the radio stations and the outcome was 90 odd % of fans who went to Highbury said although they were against moving it was the best thing they did. Nothing lasts forever and you either go with the changes or stagnate