Old Trafford revamp/could be torn down and rebuilt according to Glazer plans

What’s your preference for Old Trafford?

• Rebuild

Votes: 714 48.4%
  • Renovate

Votes: 736 49.9%
  • Leave it as is

Votes: 26 1.8%

• Total voters

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I think that people expecting major redesigns probably need to temper expectations somewhat. We're likely to see an expansion of the south stand, bringing capacity to 88k(ish) and upgraded concourses, not a new Old Trafford.
I still find it hard to imagine they would go this route. It seems like they've continued to make a point that the railroad track is a major impediment to redevelopment of the south stand. I've also read concerns that when doing that it would take a lot of the light entering the stadium to benefit the grass.There is a reason why most redeveloped stadiums either have open or translucent corners, or a sloped roofline. In other words, IF they were to redevelop it anyway it would probably require a lot more modifications than just that.

Bert_

I think that people expecting major redesigns probably need to temper expectations somewhat. We're likely to see an expansion of the south stand, bringing capacity to 88k(ish) and upgraded concourses, not a new Old Trafford.
It's just delaying the inevitable. Once the cost of the renovation of an old stadium that has been neglected for 20 years is weighed up against a new build, the new build will probably win.

Infra-red

It's just delaying the inevitable. Once the cost of the renovation of an old stadium that has been neglected for 20 years is weighed up against a new build, the new build will probably win.
The difference in cost will be enormous. A new stadium in the current economic climate with a 90k capacity? You're looking at 6+ years and £2bn quid. No chance.

Bert_

The difference in cost will be enormous. A new stadium in the current economic climate with a 90k capacity? You're looking at 6+ years and £2bn quid. No chance.
I can't see it getting signed off in the near future either. It will have to be at some point though.

Pointless wasting money deveolping the south stand if you going to end up knocking most or all of it down a few years later. Plus the best solution for expanding the South Stand probably involves shifting all the other stands and the ptich further north anyway unless they've finally found a way to build over the railway track. Once you do that, then you may as well rebuild the whole thing.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I can't see it getting signed off in the near future either. It will have to be at some point though.

Pointless wasting money deveolping the south stand if you going to end up knocking most or all of it down a few years later. Plus the best solution for expanding the South Stand probably involves shifting all the other stands and the ptich further north anyway unless they've finally found a way to build over the railway track. Once you do that, then you may as well rebuild the whole thing.
I worked in the area when the North stand was being built, the club didn't own all the land in those days and they had to build over United Road without it being closed because it was the only access rout to some industrial estates, I had to drive down there most days and it could take anything between2 and 45 mins, it was a huge logistical problem

Looking at the aerial view of OT, the North stand would need to be demolished and re-built with a smaller footprint to allow any movement North, as for building over the railway, that would be a logistical nightmare and would cost a staggering amount, there's no way the railway would be closed down for any significant period of time, the land behind the railway is quite steep, it would need to be levelled out, quite a challenge with trains passing by regularly

wolvored

If JR gets the nod a new build is the only viable option. To rebuild OT to 90k it would have to virtually be knocked down anyway. Add to the cost of rebuild the loss of matchday and merch revenue it would add 100s of mill on top. A new build to the west so the old stadium can still be played in is the best option.

Utd7

Yup. Interest rates are high. Don’t see anything happening with major renovations or a new stadium in the immediate.

Bert_

I worked in the area when the North stand was being built, the club didn't own all the land in those days and they had to build over United Road without it being closed because it was the only access rout to some industrial estates, I had to drive down there most days and it could take anything between2 and 45 mins, it was a huge logistical problem

Looking at the aerial view of OT, the North stand would need to be demolished and re-built with a smaller footprint to allow any movement North, as for building over the railway, that would be a logistical nightmare and would cost a staggering amount, there's no way the railway would be closed down for any significant period of time, the land behind the railway is quite steep, it would need to be levelled out, quite a challenge with trains passing by regularly
All reasons I think the decison will eventually end up being a new stadium. The club has enough land to do it. They can start building west of the stretty. If they can sort out any issues with the freight terminal then it could potentially be built without us having to relocate temporarily.

Won't happen any time soon anyway.

Glad you brought up United road. We still sing songs about it despite it now being nothing more than access to a car park for the past few decades. You don't lose your history or memories when things change.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Best result would be to build a new stadium in town, within walking distance to Mulligans on Deansgate.

ROFLUTION

So you don't consider the period of the 70's and 80's to be worthy of memories, presumably because you weren't around in those days, there are a lot on this forum who were though, the soul of United is used a lot, what is it that, to some people it will be the class of 92, to some it'll be the 1999 team of the SAF years, to me it's the Busby Babes, none of those are wrong, different people have different answers, usually based on how old they are
sure I do, why would I have any interest in saying such thing? To me it’s been gradually renewed, why the memories persist over very long time and cling to the stadium whether the memories are from the 80s or 90s. Old Trafford was of course different back then, but do you only see Old Trafford from an 80s-memories views? You’re not fund of the 90s/00s memories we created there or how should I understand it?

TheReligion

Abusive
Did the stadium tour yesterday {again}. Yes it’s old but it’s magnificent at the same time. The sense of history is everywhere you look. My view is that it should be refurbed and maybe south stand rebuilt/extended. I hear some complain about modern facilities such as Wi-Fi but why would you care about that? It’s great to get away from all that and soak up the atmosphere for a few hours. The decay of Old Trafford is overblown imo. It’s a proper football stadium
id agree with much of this.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
sure I do, why would I have any interest in saying such thing? To me it’s been gradually renewed, why the memories persist over very long time and cling to the stadium whether the memories are from the 80s or 90s. Old Trafford was of course different back then, but do you only see Old Trafford from an 80s-memories views? You’re not fund of the 90s/00s memories we created there or how should I understand it?
The last time I went there it was still a building site, I have no physical memories of the current stadium

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Did the stadium tour yesterday {again}. Yes it’s old but it’s magnificent at the same time. The sense of history is everywhere you look. My view is that it should be refurbed and maybe south stand rebuilt/extended. I hear some complain about modern facilities such as Wi-Fi but why would you care about that? It’s great to get away from all that and soak up the atmosphere for a few hours. The decay of Old Trafford is overblown imo. It’s a proper football stadium
I agree re: Wi-Fi but that's not dependent on a new or old stadium, all I'll say is that if you wanna go there and soak up a few hours of atmosphere you must have short legs because most folks would be incapable of walking after sitting for a few hours there!

Utd7

Those who want a new stadium - careful what you wish for. Many Arsenal fans wish they never left Highbury because the atmosphere and history cannot be replicated. Locally here in NY, Yankee fans say the new stadium has no soul/too corporate compared to the original that was admittedly old but had charm/character. There is a way to renovate OT properly. The Red Sox have been playing at the same stadium since 1912 and it’s been refurbished structurally until 2040 I believe. United can do the same.

ROFLUTION

Those who want a new stadium - careful what you wish for. Many Arsenal fans wish they never left Highbury because the atmosphere and history cannot be replicated. Locally here in NY, Yankee fans say the new stadium has no soul/too corporate compared to the original that was admittedly old but had charm/character. There is a way to renovate OT properly. The Red Sox have been playing at the same stadium since 1912 and it’s been refurbished structurally until 2040 I believe. United can do the same.
Same - Highbury was great imo, but they clearly had a capacity issue. I can definitely see your point with the new yankee stadium.

Its the same with new buildings popping up in Copenhagen. A lot of them lack charm and soul. Very characterless with few (if any) unique traits. They’re just built in materials that can house a lot of people but not built with style and grace.

Bert_

The Highbury Library? Supporters make the atmosphere not the ground. Arsenal's support is just shit. Can make all the excuses they want but it's always been shit.

stevoc

It's reached it's limit of evolution, unless we go back to terraces. If we did a full renovation keeping the current structure, we'd have to reduce capacity.
The South stand could be expanded as part of a renovation.

sparx99

A stadium renovation is not going to cost £2bn. That's at the top end of estimates for a 90k new build, which we are definitely not going to get. It'll be a quarter of that for an increase in capacity via a redeveloped south stand and upgrades to the stadium's skin and concourses (Real Madrid's Bernabéu redevelopment cost £494m).
Strangely, doesn't the Bernabeu renovation exude the exact type or modern stadium that ignores history? I get that it was a renovation and so some of the original structure is there still but the new look is so different and kind of generic new stadium I don't see how its 'preserving' history at all. It could just as easily be Bayerns ground as Madrids.

Utd7

The Highbury Library? Supporters make the atmosphere not the ground. Arsenal's support is just shit. Can make all the excuses they want but it's always been shit.
Yes. But a new stadium usually means higher priced seats + more corporate/hospitality areas to increase revenue. This prices out the common fans and makes it more corporate and subsequently less of an atmosphere.

sparx99

There have also been mistakes learnt from by others since Arsenal built. Getting the stands closer to the pitch, kop ends etc.

Unlike Arsenal a new stadium should enhance the atmosphere as the roof is currently a massive impediment to the Old Trafford atmosphere. Just opening the roof up to create one bowl would massively help Old Trafford or any new ground.

Bert_

Yes. But a new stadium usually means higher priced seats + more corporate/hospitality areas to increase revenue. This prices out the common fans and makes it more corporate and subsequently less of an atmosphere.
Very true. Might not be noticed for Arsenal but it coud have a major impact on atmosphere if not done right. You need to keep the Stretford end in some form and transfer seats from the origional to the new if you went new stadium route

Bert_

There have also been mistakes learnt from by others since Arsenal built. Getting the stands closer to the pitch, kop ends etc.

Unlike Arsenal a new stadium should enhance the atmosphere as the roof is currently a massive impediment to the Old Trafford atmosphere. Just opening the roof up to create one bowl would massively help Old Trafford or any new ground.
What do you mean by opening up the roof? It's already open? We could do with a new one though. Current one keeps leaking!

stevoc

Easier said than done given the engineering challanges of building a 20k+ capacity stand over a freight railway.
But it can be done, that's the point. Nothing is impossible and it's not like United would have to invent some new Stadium technology to do it. Stadium's have had cantilevered stands for decades, using a design similar to the one below a tier could be added to the south stand.

Bert_

But it can be done, that's the point. Nothing is impossible and it's not like United would have to invent some new Stadium technology to do it. Stadium's have had cantilevered stands for decades, using a design similar to the one below a tier could be added to the south stand.

The issue is that you can't just stick another tier on top of an existing one. You need to foundations to support the structure. I'm no civil engineer or architect so maybe it is possible to do within the space the south stands currently sits on but how much would it cost?

clarkydaz

Very true. Might not be noticed for Arsenal but it coud have a major impact on atmosphere if not done right. You need to keep the Stretford end in some form and transfer seats from the origional to the new if you went new stadium route
New stadiums tend to be further away from the pitch as well, which is part of the traditional British atmosphere

Big Andy

Bloke
Easier said than done given the engineering challanges of building a 20k+ capacity stand over a freight railway.
They can build Mile high buildings in sand, going over a railway is easy, it’s not the 1980’s any more.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
There's plenty of diagrams and images in this very thread that show how to overcome this.

sparx99

What do you mean by opening up the roof? It's already open? We could do with a new one though. Current one keeps leaking!
Because the stands were built separately starting with the North Stand the roof of each stand angles down. It means if you are in an upper tier in the North Stand you can't see anyone in the upper tier of the east/west stands. It also means sound gets trapped in pockets within each stand. A new roof that allows the whole stadium to act as one would enhance the atmosphere. In some seats you can only see the far edge of the pitch not the other stands.

USREDEVIL

The issue is that you can't just stick another tier on top of an existing one. You need to foundations to support the structure. I'm no civil engineer or architect so maybe it is possible to do within the space the south stands currently sits on but how much would it cost?
That looks like a huge concrete pacman about to chomp the supporters underneath! :confused:

Bert_

Because the stands were built separately starting with the North Stand the roof of each stand angles down. It means if you are in an upper tier in the North Stand you can't see anyone in the upper tier of the east/west stands. It also means sound gets trapped in pockets within each stand. A new roof that allows the whole stadium to act as one would enhance the atmosphere. In some seats you can only see the far edge of the pitch not the other stands.
Yeah that is an issue. Top of the North Stand especially but even high up it the second tiers it's an issue.

neon_badger

In regards to extending the South stand, does anyone know about the houses behind on the other side of the railway, i was under the impression this was a factor in potential expansion, I heard the club had bought most of them but some remained in private ownership.

stevoc

Neither am I. But if it's been done elsewhere decades ago then I'm sure it's possible.

Hal9000

Another 20 years of watching the games with my knees in my chest, with my elbows rubbing against other people.

South Stand isn't the real issue, it's cramped, it's old, the concourse and facilities are terrible. Think i read somewhere that a revamp will be nearly as much as a rebuild.