Old Trafford revamp/could be torn down and rebuilt according to Glazer plans

What’s your preference for Old Trafford?

• Rebuild

Votes: 714 48.4%
  • Renovate

Votes: 736 49.9%
  • Leave it as is

Votes: 26 1.8%

• Total voters

Pughnichi

Of course there’s a ton of history and memories attached to old Trafford. But sadly I think a new stadium is necessary. It’s just not elite anymore and unfortunately when players are targeted and being shown around stadium/Carrington their heads will be turned elsewhere. We can’t keep calling ourselves one of the biggest clubs in the world if our stadiums and training facilities just aren’t up to scratch. Sure it would hurt leaving and nobody likes change. After 2,5,10 years though with the best stadium on the planet I could move on

Nogbadthebad

Ineos are borrowing to pay the glazers for their shares.

They won't borrow another 2 billion to improve the stadium as well, especially when owning just 25% of the club.

And the glazers will never fund it themsleves.

Whoever utdplug is, they are talking balls.

hp88

It will be Interesting to see what the plans are like for the renovations, think it will be good indication of what's to come under SJR ownership.

Maticmaker

could also be set to do nothing
Exactly, first why would anyone spend well over 1-2£B to build a new stadium that would still be 'sandwiched' in between a railway line and a canal with all the access and egress problems that would still exist? Second, Jim Ratcliffe would have achieved his childhood dream (if we are to believe the publicity) if he gained 25% of Manchester United but would not be able to do anything about moving the Glazers' on and certainly won't want to 'shell out' for a new stadium.... if it's not his Stadium!

Maybe I've missed something, and Jim Ratcliffe is going to put his boot up the Glazers backside... still, must keep looking for those 'flying pigs'

Last edited:

ROFLUTION

Wouldnt want to build a new stadium. The history and soul of Old Trafford is what makes us and the stadium special. The slopes, the dugout, everything.

Build over the railline and renovate the roof and the inside of it somehow. Build on history, dont replace it. And it houses a big capacity already. Replacing it with a brand new one about the same size would be soulless and generic for me.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Wouldnt want to build a new stadium. The history and soul of Old Trafford is what makes us and the stadium special. The slopes, the dugout, everything.

Build over the railline and renovate the roof and the inside of it somehow. Build on history, dont replace it. And it houses a big capacity already. Replacing it with a brand new one about the same size would be soulless and generic for me.
The current stadium bears no relationship to the one I used to go to aside from the location, IMO it's been redeveloped as much as it realistically can be, a new stadium can incorprate some of the old features, you name the slopes and the dugouts, both are relatively new additions and the slopes ae downright dangerous

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
We need to look at all this in terms of the next five years. Ineos will complete their takeover within that timeframe I’d imagine. Ultimately we need a new stadium. The prospect of that happening is unclear but at some point there will signifcsntbck structure debt taken on. This all depends on the existing debt being laid somewhere else. It was Jim’s original plan to move that to Ineos.

Banana Republic

There's hardly anything left of the stadium that I knew as a lad.
The real Stretford End has gone, the real Scoreboard End has gone, the South Stand is on its 3rd or 4th roof.
Seating is cramped and uncomfortable and the overall impression isn't something you can take pride in anymore.
A brand new stadium could be designed to incorporate traditional OT themes...whatever they are.
I'm all in favour of a clean sheet of paper, than some botch upgrade job.

SAF is the GOAT

Real question : What is more important to upgrade and fix in your opinion- Old Trafford or Carrington ?

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The real Stretford End has gone, the real Scoreboard End has gone, the South Stand is on its 3rd or 4th roof.
Seating is cramped and uncomfortable and the overall impression isn't something you can take pride in anymore.
A brand new stadium could be designed to incorporate traditional OT themes...whatever they are.

+ 1

We need a stadium fit for the modern age, not for sentiment.

stevoc

The current stadium bears no relationship to the one I used to go to aside from the location, IMO it's been redeveloped as much as it realistically can be, a new stadium can incorprate some of the old features, you name the slopes and the dugouts, both are relatively new additions and the slopes ae downright dangerous
When you see what Real has just did to the Berneabeu, it highlights that just about anything is possible.

ROFLUTION

What do you mean? Old Trafford’s looked the same for about all the time we’ve had good memories/success. Do you mean that it doesnt look like it did in the 70s/80s or? The slopes arent new, the dugouts arent that new either?

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
When you see what Real has just did to the Berneabeu, it highlights that just about anything is possible.
What's the story with that? Have they increased the capacity or just put a new roof on?

Nou camp capacity being increased as well?

ROFLUTION

Almost anything. You cant build soul or memories, at least instantly. They attach to the place you experienced them over many years. You connect your memories to a certain thing, a place, etc. Memories in a new Old Trafford will surely take many years to build/grow if you build a new from scratch.

Lentwood

Not a snowballs chance in hell are the current owners, going to spent money on a new/refurbished stadium, if anything it was a simple tart up and thats it !
From a business perspective it makes far more sense for them to invest in the stadium and training facilities.

The Glazers have overseen the spend of around £1BN net on transfers and countless millions more on overinflated salaries.

For all the good that has done us, we might as well have torn OT down in 2014, built a brand new stadium and spent the remaining £200m on a new training facility.

I still believe the Glazers ambition is to sell the club, but they clearly think they can get more than the £5/5.5BN that was on the table. A brand new 90,000 seater stadium and a new training facility are tangible assets that would undoubtedly make the club more attractive the next time the "for sale" sign goes up.

Bert_

Echo this. There is hardly anything left of the original stadium in the current one. Well nothing that can't be incoporated into a new one in some way. If we rennovate, It's going to practically end up a new stadium anyway but costing a feck ton more.

I'd say keep the pitch but even that's only a few years old.

stevoc

Almost anything. You cant build soul or memories, at least instantly. They attach to the place you experienced them over many years. You connect your memories to a certain thing, a place, etc. Memories in a new Old Trafford will surely take many years to build/grow if you build a new from scratch.
Yeah, I don't get the argument of ''It's almost a completely different stadium than when I was a boy''.

Yes it is but that didn't happen overnight or even in one go. The stadium has been constantly growing and evolving with the club and the fans for over a century at this stage. It is the same stadium because it's never been completely demolished and rebuilt. All that history for me would be lost with a new stadium, Real have shown that there's absolutely no reason stadiums can't be renovated and upgraded into a modern stadium.

Bert_

Yeah, I don't get the argument of ''It's almost a completely different stadium than when I was a boy''.

Yes it is but that didn't happen overnight or even in one go. The stadium has been constantly growing and evolving with the club and the fans for over a century at this stage. It is the same stadium because it's never been completely demolished and rebuilt. All that history for me would be lost with a new stadium, Real have shown that there's absolutely no reason stadiums can't be renovated and upgraded into a modern stadium.
It's reached it's limit of evolution, unless we go back to terraces. If we did a full renovation keeping the current structure, we'd have to reduce capacity.

matt10000

Absolutely.

Old Trafford is a Cathedral, holy ground that can be renovated to be the best in the world for the same money it would take to move.

We would just end up with a carbon copy of all the other new stadiums. What next? Change the club colours to grey, change the badge and nickname to something more pc……end up with ‘The Grey Fiends’ playing at ‘Bland Trafford’……it’s a no from me.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
What do you mean? Old Trafford’s looked the same for about all the time we’ve had good memories/success. Do you mean that it doesnt look like it did in the 70s/80s or? The slopes arent new, the dugouts arent that new either?
So you don't consider the period of the 70's and 80's to be worthy of memories, presumably because you weren't around in those days, there are a lot on this forum who were though, the soul of United is used a lot, what is it that, to some people it will be the class of 92, to some it'll be the 1999 team of the SAF years, to me it's the Busby Babes, none of those are wrong, different people have different answers, usually based on how old they are

Infra-red

Ineos are borrowing to pay the glazers for their shares.

They won't borrow another 2 billion to improve the stadium as well, especially when owning just 25% of the club.

And the glazers will never fund it themsleves.

Whoever utdplug is, they are talking balls.
A stadium renovation is not going to cost £2bn. That's at the top end of estimates for a 90k new build, which we are definitely not going to get. It'll be a quarter of that for an increase in capacity via a redeveloped south stand and upgrades to the stadium's skin and concourses (Real Madrid's Bernabéu redevelopment cost £494m).

Bert_

A stadium renovation is not going to cost £2bn. That's at the top end of estimates for a 90k new build, which we are definitely not going to get. It'll be a quarter of that for an increase in capacity via a redeveloped south stand and upgrades to the stadium's skin and concourses (Real Madrid's Bernabéu redevelopment cost £494m).
All the stands need sorting really and seats spaced out more. Which would mean a reduction in capacity without some major redesign.

Also, the Bernabau re-devolment is running at nearly twice that cost. The final cost won't be far off what Spurs paid for their new stadium.

Spoony

The People's President
Real's cost near a billion despite Perez's connections. Camp Nou is costing Barcelona 1.2b.

Infra-red

All the stands need sorting really and seats spaced out more. Which would mean a reduction in capacity without some major redesign.

Also, the Bernabau re-devolment is running at nearly twice that cost. The final cost won't be far off what Spurs paid for their new stadium.
I think that people expecting major redesigns probably need to temper expectations somewhat. We're likely to see an expansion of the south stand, bringing capacity to 88k(ish) and upgraded concourses, not a new Old Trafford.

Infra-red

Real's cost near a billion despite Perez's connections. Camp Nou is costing Barcelona 1.2b.
You are quite right - costs have spiralled on Real Madrid's project (delays and raw material prices) since the figures I looked up were published in the summer. That being said, there's no way that the Glazers/Ineos are ever going to spend £2bn on Old Trafford.

Spoony

The People's President
You are quite right - costs have spiralled on Real Madrid's project (delays and raw material prices) since the figures I looked up were published in the summer. That being said, there's no way that the Glazers/Ineos are ever going to spend £2bn on Old Trafford.

Yeah it's just not going to happen. Best we can expect is a new South Stand.