Old Trafford revamp/could be torn down and rebuilt according to Glazer plans

What’s your preference for Old Trafford?

• Rebuild

Votes: 714 48.4%
  • Renovate

Votes: 736 49.9%
  • Leave it as is

Votes: 26 1.8%

• Total voters

Coops73

Do we really think this will happen? Increased capacity? Significant redevelopment? I’m being cynical as feck I know but I just can’t see the glazers putting money into such a project and where are they getting the money to do this?

I really can’t see it happening anytime soon, aside from new LED floodlights and a lick of paint, this seems like Glazer PR to me.

Bosws87

The whole concourse would need changing from the leisure centre vibes it gives off now.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Feck me, are people really seeing an expansion of the stadium (potentially) as a negative (read: Glazers want more money by spending more money)
People have been calling for improvements to OT for years, in fact wasn't that one of the reasons we protested?
Yet here we are with potential improvements and still people ain't happy...

Coops73

Feck me, are people really seeing an expansion of the stadium (potentially) as a negative (read: Glazers want more money by spending more money)
People have been calling for improvements to OT for years, in fact wasn't that one of the reasons we protested?
I’d be more than happy for it to happen, it needs to happen but it’s the Glazers and because of that I’ll believe it when I see it.

Infra-red

I'd say that people are cynical about the rumoured proposal, rather than unhappy.

The hope: a significant expansion and refurbishment, 90k+ capacity, extra legroom, new concourses, new roof, and new stadium facade. The reality will probably be a few thousand extra seats in the south stand, new corporate facilities and some kind of gawdy "AON fan park" adjacent to the stadium to try to moneytise pre-match a bit more.

Spoony

The People's President
I'd say that people are cynical about the rumoured proposal, rather than unhappy.

The hope: a significant expansion and refurbishment, 90k+ capacity, extra legroom, new concourses, new roof, and new stadium facade. The reality will probably be a few thousand extra seats in the south stand, new corporate facilities and some kind of gawdy "AON fan park" adjacent to the stadium to try to moneytise pre-match a bit more.
Yep.

Spoony

The People's President
If you mean "extending that one existing section all around the stadium", that doesn't seem likely to me at least right now. If you build up the South Stand and do a third tier all around as well, removing/redoing the overhangs, at that point you'd have one foot dipped 3/4 of the way into 'complete overhaul' territory.

In terms of the exterior, knowing the Glazers, I'm 90% sure they're just looking to get some 'waterfront development' ideas without touching the exterior of OT, but it's really weird to do one without the other (i.e. doing the reverse and building a brand-spanking new OT without touching the surrounding area) so that 'footprint' thing has got me wondering.

Hmmmm... what I'm hoping for would probably cost north of £700m. I've heard US banks are willing to loan for stadium rebuilds.

UnitedFan93

Exactly this.

The fans want a full scale development similar to the Bernabeu. I would be amazed if the Glazers were to commit to something like that. If Gary Neville hadn't called them out live on TV we wouldn't be hearing anything about a OT redevelopment. They are now being pushed to do it, just like they were to start a women's football team.

Spoony

The People's President
Exactly this.

The fans want a full scale development similar to the Bernabeu. I would be amazed if the Glazers were to commit to something like that. If Gary Neville hadn't called them out live on TV we wouldn't be hearing anything about a OT redevelopment. They are now being pushed to do it, just like they were to start a women's football team.
They know they can get good returns from the corporate side. They're businessmen. Sadly.

UnitedFan93

They know they can get good returns from the corporate side. They're businessmen. Sadly.
Just hope they don't settle for a low budget design using cheap materials like red plastic cladding. Old Trafford needs to be one of the best stadiums in tbe world; it was when they took us over. Hopefully we see some ambition from the Glazers.

Spoony

The People's President
Just hope they don't settle for a low budget design using cheap materials like red plastic cladding. Old Trafford needs to be one of the best stadiums in tbe world; it was when they took us over. Hopefully we see some ambition from the Glazers.
I think Populous will design it, they did Wembley and WHL - not my favourite architects but they're good. It simply depends on how much they want to spend. Bernabeu and Camp Nou are getting extensive make overs, we need something similar.

UnitedFan93

I think Populous will design it, they did Wembley and WHL - not my favourite architects but they're good. It simply depends on how much they want to spend. Bernabeu and Camp Nou are getting extensive make overs, we need something similar.
Yep

OT is the most visible symbol of their ambition, hopefully they realise that, and commit to something spectacular.

hungrywing

Hmmmm... what I'm hoping for would probably cost north of £700m. I've heard US banks are willing to loan for stadium rebuilds.
Yes- wait what.

Are you suggesting we do the stadium loan via a different bank to the institution(s) that hold the current debt, then stage a massive boycott until the club goes into receivership and then JP Morgan and whichever other bank fight it out and the Glazers are run out of the picture and the ultra-efficient banks, who will do their due diligence, appoint the most objectively cost-effective manager on the market (Ten Hag) and the club starts winning and everyone except for the Glazers (who are now tied up in lawsuits galore) is now happy.

Because that is 4D chess that the Glazers will never see coming and you would probably deserve a statue somewhere.

stw2022

We do need to lower the pitch to get rid of that ridiculous ditch around the pitch which is a serious injury waiting to happen

Spoony

The People's President
Yes- wait what.

Are you suggesting we do the stadium loan via a different bank to the institution(s) that hold the current debt, then stage a massive boycott until the club goes into receivership and then JP Morgan and whichever other bank fight it out and the Glazers are run out of the picture and the ultra-efficient banks, who will do their due diligence, appoint the most objectively cost-effective manager on the market (Ten Hag) and the club starts winning and everyone except for the Glazers (who are now tied up in lawsuits galore) is now happy.

Because that is 4D chess that the Glazers will never see coming and you would probably deserve a statue somewhere.
:lol:

They're not spending their own money!

redshaw

Do we really think this will happen? Increased capacity? Significant redevelopment? I’m being cynical as feck I know but I just can’t see the glazers putting money into such a project and where are they getting the money to do this?

I really can’t see it happening anytime soon, aside from new LED floodlights and a lick of paint, this seems like Glazer PR to me.
Yes I think they will

Some still think we're at 75k but it's been reduced to 72k for the extra disabled sections and could reduce further to around 68k if they add more (they had plans to do that).

So adding to the south stand won't be 5k extra seats but 8k extra and should see a significant transformation. I wonder if they can fill in the corners more and make it higher as more disabled seats will take it back under 80k. Not sure how much extra rail seating can add.

Bindz

Yes I think they will

Some still think we're at 75k but it's been reduced to 72k for the extra disabled sections and could reduce further to around 68k if they add more (they had plans to do that).

So adding to the south stand won't be 5k extra seats but 8k extra and should see a significant transformation. I wonder if they can fill in the corners more and make it higher as more disabled seats will take it back under 80k. Not sure how much extra rail seating can add.
If the seating remains as it is wouldn't the extra 8000 mean its going to be the 2 quadrants, which would take it upto 80000 if its going to be the main stand and replicate the north stand then the figure would be 86000.The long standing rumours for the past couple of years was they wanted the 2 quadrants done first with new roofs and new skin.

Master planners being appointed

Adnan

Talent Spotter

• Manchester United considering option to upgrade their Old Trafford home
  • A master planner is set to be appointed to oversee extensive overhaul
  • Expansion is likely to take the capacity from current 74,410 to over 80,000
  • Both general admission and corporate areas will be revamped and extended
  • There are also plans to make improvements to their Carrington training base

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Constant rumours, no action

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
“These meetings have produced exciting potential ideas, although it’s important to note that we’re still at an early stage and it’s premature to talk about timetables,” Collette Roche, Manchester United's Chief Operating Officer, told a meeting of the club’s Fans’ Forum.

Same piece…

Roche noted that this was a “complex piece of work” because of the many legal and regulatory factors involved, but good progress had been made and talks are at an advanced stage.

Maybe we’re at an advanced stage of the early stages? Bit like when we’re considering whether to make a bid on a player.

Real Name

Although I would hope it looks the same with the exoskeleton even if it's only for look. It's instantly recognisable as old Trafford.
Yeah, I'm not an expert but if they can reconstruct so it's more modern and doesnt close the view so much but still looks the same on the outside. If that makes sense.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Whilst I understand the skepticism- I for one am excited at the prospect of OT rightfully being the best stadium in the country once again.
It’s also encouraging to see the owners following through on promises made after the SL debacle. Let’s hope they come to fruition!

slavishduke

Roche noted that this was a “complex piece of work” because of the many legal and regulatory factors involved, but good progress had been made and talks are at an advanced stage.

Maybe we’re at an advanced stage of the early stages? Bit like when we’re considering whether to make a bid on a player.
She's actually talking about the Fans Share Scheme. They added alot of other stuff in that article so quotes were a bit of a jumble

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
I'll believe it when I see it.
Constant rumours, no action
Everyone seems to want things now now now.

if they rushed it & it turned out to be shoddy, you’d complain we weren’t professional enough & didn’t plan & take our time.

Now we take our time, you complain that it’s not happening quick enough, you also complain that there’s been more dialogue & you’re not seeing the action. But before you complained that there wasn’t any dialogue at all!

The club cannot win!

Corridor of Uncertainty

Everyone seems to want things now now now.

if they rushed it & it turned out to be shoddy, you’d complain we weren’t professional enough & didn’t plan & take our time.

Now we take our time, you complain that it’s not happening quick enough, you also complain that there’s been more dialogue & you’re not seeing the action. But before you complained that there wasn’t any dialogue at all!

The club cannot win!
People are right to be suspicious. The Glazers have owned the club for 16 years and in that time have allowed the stadium to rot and fall apart. We're supposed to believe all of a sudden they now want to modernize it? Bollocks.

van Nistelrooy

The club statement regarding the Old Trafford redevelopment actually revealed nothing. What are the chances of us getting the same article again in 6 months time? Quite high I think.

crossy1686

career ending
The club statement regarding the Old Trafford redevelopment actually revealed nothing. What are the chances of us getting the same article again in 6 months time? Quite high I think.
Well if everything shuts down again thanks to Covid I don’t think we can blame them for being in the same place they are today 6 months down the line.

I for one would be glad to see Old Trafford get an upgrade and I’m glad the Glazers are keeping their word, credit to them if this does go ahead in the coming months.