Old Trafford revamp/could be torn down and rebuilt according to Glazer plans

What’s your preference for Old Trafford?

• Rebuild

Votes: 714 48.4%
  • Renovate

Votes: 736 49.9%
  • Leave it as is

Votes: 26 1.8%

• Total voters

UnitedFan93

Everyone seems to want things now now now.

if they rushed it & it turned out to be shoddy, you’d complain we weren’t professional enough & didn’t plan & take our time.

Now we take our time, you complain that it’s not happening quick enough, you also complain that there’s been more dialogue & you’re not seeing the action. But before you complained that there wasn’t any dialogue at all!

The club cannot win!
If Gary Neville hadn't called the Glazers out live on TV about their lack of investment in OT none of this would be happening.

The Glazers have owned United for 16 years, they've had plenty of time to progress with designs/proposals. They haven't because they've got away with it, until now.

Brophs

The One and Only
I’m doing some mastur planning of my own right now.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
If Gary Neville hadn't called the Glazers out live on TV about their lack of investment in OT none of this would be happening.

The Glazers have owned United for 16 years, they've had plenty of time to progress with designs/proposals. They haven't because they've got away with it, until now.
Gary Neville, the guy who built a hotel overlooking the stadium after the club asked him not to

Coops73

if they rushed it & it turned out to be shoddy, you’d complain we weren’t professional enough & didn’t plan & take our time.

Now we take our time, you complain that it’s not happening quick enough, you also complain that there’s been more dialogue & you’re not seeing the action. But before you complained that there wasn’t any dialogue at all!

The club cannot win!
Not while the glazers own it.

UnitedFan93

Gary Neville, the guy who built a hotel overlooking the stadium after the club asked him not to
Showed more ambition than the Glazers in trying to develop the surrounding area to be fair. However, that's not my point. If the events around the cancelled Liverpool game hadn't happened, and ex United players hadn't called them out live on TV this wouldn't be happening.

Once the Glazers start getting called out live on TV, they start acting. It was the same with the Women's team, we were getting critised on MOTD and Football Focus for being the last big club to not have a women's team. It's the same now with the stadium and training ground. The Glazers are constantly pushed to invest in the club.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020

The club cannot win!
What on earth are you going on about :lol: Where did I moan about no dialogue?

If you are happy with months and months of chat and no actions then carry on.

I think we all can be right to be suspicious of these owners, given the fecking state that we are in.

diarm

Has there ever been a kop stand in a stadium that wasn't behind the goal?

Is there no feasible way we could build a tall, steep, single tier south stand? Tall enough that it could marry with the south west and east quadrants (or close enough that you could wall up the difference) and steep enough that we don't need to build over the railway.

Especially now, with safe standing being approved - there are stadiums with up to a 34 degree pitch. The current stand has around a 20 degree pitch so there is loads of room to improve on that and imagine the atmosphere it could create.

Then replace the roof with a flat, or outwardly sloping more modern construction, give the concourses and food areas a bit of TLC and suddenly we have the best stadium in the country again.

Offsideagain

If the owners are going to spend money on the stadium, it will be borrowed money and the debt will increase and therefore the fans will moan again about it. Spurs are almost a billion in debt because of the new stadium they built. What we need is for the Government to build a new state of the art stadium for a two week sporting event and then give it to us for a peppercorn rent. Oh, sorry , that’s been done. Truth is, OT needs to be demolished and built again from scratch instead of constantly being patched up.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Old Trafford is an embarrassment. You would have thought that being American, the owners would know all about stadiums,

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Think we'd be better off doing what Spurs, Bilbao and Benfica did.

Build a new stadium on the grounds in the car park further away from the railway tracks and only knock down OT when three quarters of it is built.

That was we stay basically where we are with the same/similar postcode and we get a brand new state of the art stadium.

OT is just too old and outdated to be feasibly made back into a world beating venue I think, much as I love it for how uniquely tight it is. Not sure how they could redo the roof cause it's pretty integral to the whole structure being cantilevered but it needs a St. James' style one that shows off the size of the stands and doesn't hinder the view from the upper tiers.

Withnail

I think you're giving Gary a little too much credit for a bit of moaning on the telly.

decorativeed

What a daft argument. The club had every chance to buy that land themselves and didn't. More fool them.

Complaining to the council that it would block their views of Ordsall to try to stop construction. Absolutely pathetic.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Old Trafford is an embarrassment. You would have thought that being American, the owners would know all about stadiums,
In American sports the owners threaten to move their team to another city until the local government agrees to pay for a new stadium for them.

crossy1686

career ending
They do, but being American they expect the local council to take care of the stadium like they do in America. Hard to convince someone to spend money on something they usually wouldn't.

Judas

Open to offers

The club cannot win!
What the feck are you talking about? How am I saying I want it now now now now :lol: talk about reading into something just so you can have a whinge at Utd fans again.

There's been articles written countless times over and over about revamps, I've read them all, so at this point I'll believe it when I see it, actual stuff happening! Not rocket science, maybe for you it is though.

UnitedFan93

I think you're giving Gary a little too much credit for a bit of moaning on the telly.
I don't mean literally just him, but he was live on Sky when the Liverpool match got cancelled, so obviously his views carried a lot of weight that day. Rio, Keane, Scholes also had similar things to say. The Glazers hate being put negatively under the spotlight so exposing them live on TV to millions of United fans will surely have been felt in Florida.

crossy1686

career ending
If this go ahead it'll centre around a big corporate extension.
Increasing the capacity means more money from public coming to games and you can guarantee there will be some sort of corporate sponsorship or section included. Fair play if it permanently increases the bottom line.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
What a daft argument. The club had every chance to buy that land themselves and didn't. More fool them.

Complaining to the council that it would block their views of Ordsall to try to stop construction. Absolutely pathetic.
I'm just saying the guy's a massive hypocrite, not that the club/owners haven't been massively negligent in maintaining and upgrading OT.

decorativeed

I'm just saying the guy's a massive hypocrite, not that the club/owners haven't been massively negligent in maintaining and upgrading OT.
I really done see what's hypocritical about investing in a new building next to a very run-down and under-invested one.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
What on earth are you going on about :lol: Where did I moan about no dialogue?

If you are happy with months and months of chat and no actions then carry on.

I think we all can be right to be suspicious of these owners, given the fecking state that we are in.
What the feck are you talking about? How am I saying I want it now now now now :lol: talk about reading into something just so you can have a whinge at Utd fans again.

There's been articles written countless times over and over about revamps, I've read them all, so at this point I'll believe it when I see it, actual stuff happening! Not rocket science, maybe for you it is though.
When I said 'you' I meant the forum in general.

They, we, you etc etc Moan when there is literal 0 dialogue. Then there is dialogue and you, we, they, complain that there's too much talking and not enough action.

The club literally cannot win.

Yes, is the very fact that they are talking due to the fact they tried to do the ESL, yes. Is that a huge stain on the whole open dialogue that many clubs are doing now. of course it is, but good has risen from it and only time will tell if it's a positive for the club(s) and the league in general.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
In American sports the owners threaten to move their team to another city until the local government agrees to pay for a new stadium for them.
They do, but being American they expect the local council to take care of the stadium like they do in America. Hard to convince someone to spend money on something they usually wouldn't.
That may well be. I assumed they'd leverage some kind of debt against the club anyway. What I don't understand is, if the likes of Spurs, Atletico, Real Madrid, Everton etc, can get new grounds, surely United should be able to also. We could also upgrade to 85,000 capacity easily.

I know the pandemic has put a hold on things but I wouid just like to see some concrete plans.

crossy1686

career ending
That may well be. I assumed they'd leverage some kind of debt against the club anyway. What I don't understand is, if the likes of Spurs, Atletico, Real Madrid, Everton etc, can get new grounds, surely United should be able to also. We could also upgrade to 85,000 capacity easily.

I know the pandemic has put a hold on things but I wouid just like to see some concrete plans.
United are able to do so, the issue is that American owners don't see value in it short term, and they expect the local council to do it to keep them in Manchester. Teams in America just up and move to a new state if they get offered a better deal. Hopefully they realise after the last year that that isn't going to fly with United fans and this news about a big revamp actually happens.

Robertd0803

Id love to see some of the stuff being suggested by the engineers. Not for any reason other than curiosity.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Hope we extend the capacity to over 100k we definitely are capable of filing that in

Would create a very magical atmosphere if it gets full imagine an ucl semi final with over 100k fans cheering on Would be massive

I also hope that they somehow manage to preserve the main body old Trafford is iconic and one of the last of its kind it would pain if it was to go

Denis79

The club cannot win!
Correction. The Glazers can not win. The parasites can feck off.

pacifictheme

Hope we extend the capacity to over 100k we definitely are capable of filing that in

Would create a very magical atmosphere if it gets full imagine an ucl semi final with over 100k fans cheering on Would be massive

I also hope that they somehow manage to preserve the main body old Trafford is iconic and one of the last of its kind it would pain if it was to go
It's mostly tourists already. So many sections are silent all match other than for goals and even then it's very lacklustre.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
United are able to do so, the issue is that American owners don't see value in it short term, and they expect the local council to do it to keep them in Manchester. Teams in America just up and move to a new state if they get offered a better deal. Hopefully they realise after the last year that that isn't going to fly with United fans and this news about a big revamp actually happens.
They could move the team to Leeds? They're desperate for a football team. We could even be called..... Leeds City.
Id love to see some of the stuff being suggested by the engineers. Not for any reason other than curiosity.
I'm amazed that if you search Old Trafford extension the only things you find are an image where someone has just copy/pasted the North stand over, or the one with the weird looking rooftop fanzone. I was at least expecting an image of a domed stadium with a big internal OLED screen wrapped around the top displaying all of our easily won penalties in 16K glory.

sparx99

It's mostly tourists already. So many sections are silent all match other than for goals and even then it's very lacklustre.
This is partly a result of the roof. It creates closed sections and so the crowd don’t feed off each other. You often hear multiple songs going on in different parts of the ground. A more open roof structure would help build the atmosphere and join up the singing.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Yeah, understood. I hear what you're saying. Well they've been around long enough now to understand, especially after the Super League fiasco, that we are absolutely nothing like their US sports models, thank feck.