Old Trafford revamp/could be torn down and rebuilt according to Glazer plans

What’s your preference for Old Trafford?

• Rebuild

Votes: 714 48.4%
  • Renovate

Votes: 736 49.9%
  • Leave it as is

Votes: 26 1.8%

• Total voters

Red the Bear

Something less generic
It's mostly tourists already. So many sections are silent all match other than for goals and even then it's very lacklustre.
That's basically the case for all the big teams in Europe

We could also cheat and improve the acoustics so the sounds reverberate creating the illusion of massive support

pauldyson1uk

we should be building a new stadium.
We could do what Spurs did and rebuild a state of the art stadium in the same area, yes iT would mean playing away from home for a couple of seasons , but its not impossible.

Moriarty

we should be building a new stadium.
We could do what Spurs did and rebuild a state of the art stadium in the same area, yes iT would mean playing away from home for a couple of seasons , but its not impossible.
I like the idea of a new ground but sharing the council house with the Berties won't be popular. Where else could we feasibly play? Anfield or Goodison? No. Bolton?

pauldyson1uk

I like the idea of a new ground but sharing the council house with the Berties won't be popular. Where else could we feasibly play? Anfield or Goodison? No. Bolton?
Now thats a good question.
Liverpool and Everton are out.
Bolton is an option.
City would be the better choice, but agreed it would not be a popular choice and in reality I doubt it would happen.

IrishRedDevil

Real Madrid are playing in 6000 seater di Stefano Stadium while they spend £700m upgrading Bernabeu.

Could we play at Carrington?

predator

Youth NITK
Doesn't the club own enough land behind the stretford end to build a new stadium? This would allow us to continue playing at OT until the new one was complete. Maybe they could part decommission OT to a single tier bowl for the woman's team? Or maybe do something similar to what City have done with the etihad campus and relocating the training facilities and everything into a huge plot.

I'm on the fence still about what I'd prefer and what is realistic. OT is so dated compared to modern stadiums but it is absolutely iconic. I'm not even sure there are methods of revamping it to match modern stadia without completely modifying major aspects of its structure, facade etc - I am constantly in awe of the steelwork holding the cantilever roof whenever I am in OT or driving past. It is a work of art if you ask me.

choccy77

That may well be. I assumed they'd leverage some kind of debt against the club anyway. What I don't understand is, if the likes of Spurs, Atletico, Real Madrid, Everton etc, can get new grounds, surely United should be able to also. We could also upgrade to 85,000 capacity easily.

I know the pandemic has put a hold on things but I wouid just like to see some concrete plans.
We don't want that much concrete

red thru&thru

I'm pretty sure some kind of cryptocurrency company will be part of sponsoring the development of the stadium.

Red00012

“These meetings have produced exciting potential ideas, although it’s important to note that we’re still at an early stage and it’s premature to talk about timetables,” Collette Roche, Manchester United's Chief Operating Officer, told a meeting of the club’s Fans’ Forum.

Same piece…

Roche noted that this was a “complex piece of work” because of the many legal and regulatory factors involved, but good progress had been made and talks are at an advanced stage.

Maybe we’re at an advanced stage of the early stages? Bit like when we’re considering whether to make a bid on a player.
Ed is in the final stages of preparing a bid

Moriarty

All but derelict , not been played in for years , even when it was played in, it was a shit hole
I remember going to some Bury games in the 1960s. You could walk around to the opposite end of the ground at half-time and they had a wooden kid's stand next to the Cemetery End that was a death trap. Good pies mind.

MrBest

Think we'd be better off doing what Spurs, Bilbao and Benfica did.

Build a new stadium on the grounds in the car park further away from the railway tracks and only knock down OT when three quarters of it is built.

That was we stay basically where we are with the same/similar postcode and we get a brand new state of the art stadium.

OT is just too old and outdated to be feasibly made back into a world beating venue I think, much as I love it for how uniquely tight it is. Not sure how they could redo the roof cause it's pretty integral to the whole structure being cantilevered but it needs a St. James' style one that shows off the size of the stands and doesn't hinder the view from the upper tiers.
I like this idea, would keep the continuity for a while whilst construction happens.

My only concern on a new stadium is that we would need to spend close to a billion. How do you raise capital for that, either debt or equity. Debt is cheaper than equity so that would be the likely option but that would probably bring our total liability up to 1.5bn plus further interest. Repayments would become the main focus as well as further commercial opportunities. With that, the focus on football may not progress much, and that is an area we need to do better in. I can also see a slow down in investment which may be a good or a bad thing. No more marquee signings, but we may focus more on players that we turn into superstars, like the good old days or players that are passionate for the badge.

Either way, we need to modernise the stadium, it is close to embarrassing when compared to other elite clubs.

FlapR

New stadium is 100% needed. Preferably with amenities that aren't terrible and seats that actually have leg room for anyone that isn't an amputee.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Sours played home games at Wembley 2017-18 season
True enough they did but out if an abundance of caution and because they had the option whereas we don’t. Bilbao and Benfica didn’t as far as I know so I’m pretty certain Spurs would’ve stayed at WHL and built at a different rate.

There’s space looking at the car parks behind the North Stand and the Stretty to build at least half a ground and knock half of OT down.

TheReligion

Abusive
To those suggesting playing a season in a tiny stadium; it won't happen. The club would lose millions.

Spurs played at Wembley. United aren't going to go to Gigg Lane or Leigh Sports Village ffs.

pauldyson1uk

To those suggesting playing a season in a tiny stadium; it won't happen. The club would lose millions.

Spurs played at Wembley. United aren't going to go to Gigg Lane or Leigh Sports Village ffs.
those 2 are out I agree, but in time if the powers that be decide that a new stadium is needed and any new stadium has to be at the site or very close to OT , we would have to play somewhere, unless a new stadium was built and the present OT razed to the ground.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
We could share the City of Manchester stadium for a season or two. It’s still council owned after all and they might like to see what it looks like filled with fans.

Red00012

They could move the team to Leeds? They're desperate for a football team. We could even be called..... Leeds City.

I'm amazed that if you search Old Trafford extension the only things you find are an image where someone has just copy/pasted the North stand over, or the one with the weird looking rooftop fanzone. I was at least expecting an image of a domed stadium with a big internal OLED screen wrapped around the top displaying all of our easily won penalties in 16K glory.
There are 2 chances these owners are going to change it to a domed effect. That costs money. They’ll expand it a bit , tidy up a few things around the stadium and that’s it.

Red00012

It's mostly tourists already. So many sections are silent all match other than for goals and even then it's very lacklustre.
Every club is like this not just Utd. Granted if you are someone who likes a good chant it’s demoralising trying to start a song and people stare at you and 10 seconds in you’re still singing it on your own. It’s gone to a point where I’ll only sit/stand in West and East Stands.