Old Trafford revamp/could be torn down and rebuilt according to Glazer plans

What’s your preference for Old Trafford?

• Rebuild

Votes: 714 48.4%
  • Renovate

Votes: 736 49.9%
  • Leave it as is

Votes: 26 1.8%

• Total voters

Revaulx

What a weirdly cnuty thing to say.
Yay :drool:

A season ticket holder (me) could just as easily that only people that rarely go to OT (if ever), or that aren't as connected to OT, don't see it as a historic place and are therefore happy to see it knocked down and replaced.
Well I’ve been going for over 50 years and have witnessed it being knocked down and replaced several times, so I suppose I’m used to it.

The current configuration (i.e. since the corners were filled in in ?2006) is by far the longest I’ve known it to be unchanged.

stevoc

The main stand I would imagine would be problematic, access to that would appear to be very limited, in today's world of 'elf & safety I could see that being a big issue
Well now that you mention it mate, the North East quadrant would definitely pose some problems. I think when that was expanded back in 2005 all the work was carried out in the summer.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Indeed, any new stadium will most likely be called the Amazon Prime Hippodrome or something similar.
To be fair, one of the few things the parasites said they wouldn't do and haven't done is sell the name of the stadium

stevoc

To be fair, one of the few things the parasites said they wouldn't do and haven't done is sell the name of the stadium
Oh I know but over the years the reason I've heard for that is Old Trafford is such a well known stadium, with such a long history that everyone would just continue calling it OT anyway so it wasn't that valuable to sell the naming rights.

But with new owners building a new stadium I'm 99.9% certain they would sell the naming rights.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Well now that you mention it mate, the North East quadrant would definitely pose some problems. I think when that was expanded back in 2005 all the work was carried out in the summer.

Looking at this picture there's no way you build another stadium on this site without knocking down the current one, the current footprint seems to be much larger than I recall, I always though there was enough room to the right but it's pretty clear that there isn't enough room

Where I used to work has been flattened along with the office block next door, at least they didn't knock down the Trafford next door on the other side!

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Oh I know but over the years the reason I've heard for that is Old Trafford is such a well known stadium, with such a long history that everyone would just continue calling it OT anyway so it wasn't that valuable to sell the naming rights.

But with new owners building a new stadium I'm 99.9% certain they would sell the naming rights.
You could be right

stevoc

Looking at this picture there's no way you build another stadium on this site without knocking down the current one, the current footprint seems to be much larger than I recall, I always though there was enough room to the right but it's pretty clear that there isn't enough room

Where I used to work has been flattened along with the office block next door, at least they didn't knock down the Trafford next door on the other side!
Yep, I'm no expert but it doesn't look like there's enough land to the left of OT to fit another stadium the size of OT never mind a bigger one without it affecting the transit hub. I don't know how much control United actually have over that despite owning the land. It's not something that can be realistically moved.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Indeed, any new stadium will most likely be called the Amazon Prime Hippodrome or something similar.
Would we care I wonder? Renaming Old Trafford would have been wrong in all sorts of ways, but a new stadium wouldn't need to be protected in that sort of way really.

stevoc

Would we care I wonder? Renaming Old Trafford would have been wrong in all sorts of ways, but a new stadium wouldn't need to be protected in that sort of way really.
Personally I wouldn't care, if we leave Old Trafford and build a new stadium either adjacent or somewhere else then we might as well make money from calling it the Apple I-stadium or something.

Last edited:

Grunnn123

I think a renovation would be the best option. A bit like they did Parkehead from Celtic. one side at the time

berbasloth4

It's not feasible to knock it down and rebuild. Where would be our temporary home. Not like we can use Wembley. City wouldn't share and other grounds close by far too small. Our ground is far to iconic to be knocked down.

Renovate the ground and some of the new tech. Give the council a nice backhander so they allow the railway to be moved so we can increase the family stand.

The_Order

It's not feasible to knock it down and rebuild. Where would be our temporary home. Not like we can use Wembley. City wouldn't share and other grounds close by far too small. Our ground is far to iconic to be knocked down.

Renovate the ground and some of the new tech. Give the council a nice backhander so they allow the railway to be moved so we can increase the family stand.
where would we play whilst renovations are ongoing?

This ar stadium is too iconic jingoism is starting to grate,

Old Trafford wont be the first stadium in the world to be replaced.

I say do it now while the price is still semi reasonable.

berbasloth4

where would we play whilst renovations are ongoing?

This ar stadium is too iconic jingoism is starting to grate,

Old Trafford wont be the first stadium in the world to be replaced.

I say do it now while the price is still semi reasonable.
You can renovate stand by stand don't have to close a full stadium. We forever increased the stadium and renovated without much disruption.

The_Order

You can renovate stand by stand don't have to close a full stadium. We forever increased the stadium and renovated without much disruption.
What we did before was not a renovation, it was a capacity increase, something we’ve maxed out in because the south stand can’t be touched due it’s proximity to the rails.

Real Madrid’s renovations was a top to change and required them to play somewhere else for nearly 2 years.

there is no more renovation to be done to OT that would be future proof, if we really have changed as a club it’s time to stop papering over cracka and start looking to the future.

berbasloth4

What we did before was not a renovation, it was a capacity increase, something we’ve maxed out in because the south stand can’t be touched due it’s proximity to the rails.

Real Madrid’s renovations was a top to change and required them to play somewhere else for nearly 2 years.

there is no more renovation to be done to OT that would be future proof, if we really have changed as a club it’s time to stop papering over cracka and start looking to the future.
If it was possible to build a new stadium basically side by side the old one before knocking it down I'm sure that would be feasible. The theatre is more than just stadium it's the site and the canal etc

Drawfull

Not sure it's only up to City, they don't own the stadium.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Not sure it's only up to City, they don't own the stadium.
That's correct, Manchester City Council own it but my guess would be that City have exclusive rights to use it/

However, they wouldn't refuse United if they asked, aside from the extra income the rivalry at fan/team level isn't anywhere near that level at the executive level and never really has been

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I'd hope with the shape of the plot that we could get creative in terms of the shape of the ground, a bit like Brentford did with theirs but it does show we could build on the land and then knock bits of OT down as we progress.

red thru&thru

I'd hope with the shape of the plot that we could get creative in terms of the shape of the ground, a bit like Brentford did with theirs but it does show we could build on the land and then knock bits of OT down as we progress.
With some planning permission from the council, they can get creative indeed.

Sushi Kagawa

Can't wait to see the new owners plans. If its Qatar then I do see a full rebuild happening

Cal?

CR7 fan
Can't wait to see the new owners plans. If its Qatar then I do see a full rebuild happening
What have they done with Stadium 974 after the World Cup? Can we borrow that for a year or two whilst OT is being rebuilt?