Ole’s farewell interview

stevoc

The only thing silly is the fawning going on and unnecessary focus on unimportant things. But since you are on that very side it will be difficult for you to comprehend.
Yeah like bemoaning why the MUTV production crew aren't focusing identifying and negotiating with the next manager. :lol:

Rusholme Ruffian

If you followed from start you would see that the point was that he never got chance from some and people blamed him for every lost game but never got credit when we won. They constantly undervalued his performence as a manager and called him all kind of names. Everything with one agenda. To make him look bad in every way.
If you're stating that as your opinion then fair enough, but the facts are that he started with more goodwill and support than any manager we've ever had, and was sacked with more goodwill than any other manager we've had. No United fan wanted 'to make him look bad' - he did that all by himself.

Roboc7

In some ways it’s a nice send off, in others it’s an embarrassment. Been an odd three years where mediocrity has been revelled in because a legend was in charge, things like United DNA and Cultural Reboot repeated like a mantra without any understanding of what they mean.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I like this and have zero clue why some find it cringe, other than watching someone be human is jarring to people who look at people in sport as entertaining digital pixels.

Halftrack

Weird how many are hung up on how fans of other clubs perceive us. Are you really that insecure? Most of them fecking hate us anyway, so why would you even give a shit? We've been taking the piss out of Liverpool fans in general, and RAWK specifically, for ages, yet I've never gotten the impression that they ever gave a solitary toss about what we or others think of them.

stevoc

Nice one mate. Pretty certain editing videos is one of their primary tasks :lol:
No edited as in it was probably actually Ed Woodward sat in the chair and they deep faked Solskjaer's face on to him. After all we can't trust anything filtered through the clubs media department, am I right?

What is this 'fact' that you're referring to?
Solskjaer says in the video that it was his idea. Load of journalists some close to Solskjaer also say it was his idea to do the video and not the club's. But you doubt it was his idea.

Manny

Grammar Police
Honestly the people embarrassed by this interview, I imagine them as school kids embarrassed by the shoes their mam’s made them wear to school. Grow up. Stop viewing everything through the eyes of opposition fans, scared what they might say to you on your lunch break. :lol:

It’s a farewell message from an honest guy and club legend who has a great connection to the fans and always has.

Simple gesture really. He’s still on good terms with the club and he doesn’t want to do any interviews and have his words twisted by the media, he makes that clear.

He did the interview out of choice, to sign off on his own message to the fans, the majority appreciate it and think it’s an appropriate send off.
Yeah I'm happy he did it, and he wanted to do it.

I feel bad for anyone who takes issue with it or feels embarrassed by it. They can't have any real connection to the club or its past.

Imagine feeling embarrassed by a legend picking the club up from of the floor, but saddened that he couldn't get them back to the very top. And trying to apologise for it as he leaves... I feel ashamed of our fanbase rather than embarrassed by the club or Ole.

Reactions: CassiusClaymore

TeddyBear

'Ole's CL goal was overrated'
He said he has given everything during these 3 years.

Sorry to say,
if at the end of 3 years what we have gotten is broken team dynamics , zero pattern zero style of play, 400+M spent and won nothing.

His "everything" is damn low as per an elite club standard.

What a waste of time.

Rusholme Ruffian

No edited as in it was probably actually Ed Woodward sat in the chair and they deep faked Solskjaer's face on to him. After all we can't trust anything filtered through the clubs media department, am I right?
Ah, thanks for the explanation mate. Yep, you've nailed it there - that's exactly what I think has happened here :houllier:

Solskjaer says in the video that it was his idea. Load of journalists some close to Solskjaer also say it was his idea to do the video and not the club's. But you doubt it was his idea.
OK, except that does not make it a fact.

Here are some facts for you:

- Solskjaer says in the video it was his idea
- The club have briefed some trusted journos that it was Ole's idea
- Severance agreements often have terms that both parties sign up to - they can include a 'shared version' of events

I literally said in a post that it may well be true that it was Ole's idea, but that I personally have my doubts. That's not good enough for you for some reason though.

Halftrack

- Severance agreements often have terms that both parties sign up to - they can include a 'shared version' of events

I literally said in a post that it may well be true that it was Ole's idea, but that I personally have my doubts. That's not good enough for you for some reason though.
And why would they do that? They could have sacked him without the interview and no one would have given a solitary toss. The club had nothing to gain by insisting he'd do an emotional interview.

There's no reason to doubt that the interview was done at Ole's request.

Shark

@NotShark
Imagine feeling embarrassed by a legend picking the club up from of the floor, but saddened that he couldn't get them back to the very top. And trying to apologise for it as he leaves... I feel ashamed of our fanbase rather than embarrassed by the club or Ole.
Except that's not reallly the full story is it? I think any manager that loses 0-5 at Old Trafford to Liverpool isn't exactly going to be lavished with friendly goodbyes and he was already skating on broken ice before that occurred. If he'd of left or been relieved of his duties after that and not lingered even further there wouldn't be nearly as much toxicity here. Not completely his fault he remained but that was the time to hold his hands up to the fans and say goodbye and let us all move on surely. Also what you need to realise is many fans aren't disappointed/saddened he couldn't get United back to the top but many never thought he should have been given the job in the first place so it was of no surprise throughout his tenure.

Last edited:

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He said he has given everything during these 3 years.

Sorry to say,
if at the end of 3 years what we have gotten is broken team dynamics , zero pattern zero style of play, 400+M spent and won nothing.

His "everything" is damn low as per an elite club standard.

What a waste of time.
I reckon that’s why he’s been sacked mate

Roboc7

I feel bad for anyone who takes issue with it or feels embarrassed by it. They can't have any real connection to the club or its past.

The embarrassment stems from comments like how it’s a great achievement to have finished second ahead of a Liverpool team that had an awful season. Jose was ridiculed for something similar.

I find both embarrassing and find some of logic people use to label themselves as real fans incredibly stupid.

Some of the interview is genuine and more consistent with Ole, some is PR, trying to save face and using Ole to do so.

Rusholme Ruffian

And why would they do that? They could have sacked him without the interview and no one would have given a solitary toss. The club had nothing to gain by insisting he'd do an emotional interview.

There's no reason to doubt that the interview was done at Ole's request.
Well, I addressed that in one of my earlier posts:

"Club PR have played a blinder again. Instead of people questioning how the board came to give such a mediocre manager 2(!) contracts everyone is now acting like he was giving up his time for free, and you'd think he'd pulled the club out of its darkest time since Munich to read some of the revisionism (just as a reminder we finished 2nd just 6 months before he was appointed...)"

Basically it suits the club to create this environment of misty eyed nostalgia around what is actually just a sacking, because it stops any scrutiny over their own failures. My opinion.

stevoc

OK, except that does not make it a fact.

:lol:

And we're back to what you choose to believe, fair enough mate.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I'm not arguing about individual brilliance or mistakes. Or wrong or right tactical setup. There have been lot of those through seasons.

My point is about agenda of people who wanted him out. People that never gave him chance from start and abused him and called him undeserved names. People that used individual brilliance as reasons when we won but when we lost it was all on Solskjaer and the staff. I remember writing long ago that he can never win whatever the results were because some people decided to hate him.

So when you talk about individual brilliance when we win, talk about individual mistakes when we lose. If you give manager criticism when we lose, give manager credit when we win.
There is no doubt that there had been individual mistakes as well. Some of the mistakes done by the likes of Maguire for example border to Championship level football. Some might even consider these mistakes to be done on purpose. However

A- Ole has a knack of running players to the ground. He himself has hinted that Maguire might have played despite being injured which is supposed to be a badge of honor in Ole's books but is very stupid in today's football were games are won on fine margins

B- Maguire was Ole's signing. We spent 80m on a painfully slow CB only to play him in a high line defense. That's a recipe for disaster considering that strikers could easily outpace him.

C- Ole kept playing Maguire week in week out. So either the manager was happy with his level of performance or else he was terrified of dropping his captain

Revan

Assumptionman
Some of the reactions in this thread are pathetic. I've been Ole out for a while, he wasn't going to win us anything and was tactically limited, but don't forget where he took us from. The dross we saw under the 3 managers before his was horrible, during the Ole era i was always entertained and the team did improve. That deserves some respect. It's all gone extra wrong this season, but he earnt the opportunity.
He took us from Sunday league, and sent us on the verge of becoming champions.

Actually no. He took us sixth in the table. Left us 8th in the table. The season before he took us, we finished 2nd with 81 points. The season before he left us, we finished 2nd with 74 points.

430 million to send us sideways, actually when you consider points, the current table position, and the lack of trophies, it is 430m to send us backwards.

A very nice guy. And the reason why we are in such a mess.

RUCK4444

Yeah exactly. We are all ready for a change now, but absolutely nothing wrong with that interview.

I wish him all the very best, hope he can come again at some level and continue his career.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
I never used the word "true" and never would. I don't care where supporters are from or whether they go to go games or not frankly. I've also said nothing about those people, either at the game or in their houses, slating the team and manager. But yes, I don't like people who do not go to games suggesting that those who do follow the team all over are the ones who "don't care about the club", because they certainly do care, otherwise they wouldn't continue to spend their hard earned money going.
First off, I've never said anything about people going to the games not caring about the club. I said irrational people who want him to stay don't care about the club but as we've agreed that everyone wanted him gone the point is moot and secondly how do you know the people who do or don't go to games? You may be surprised.

But there were still people who never gave him any chance and were against him from start.
That's just not true. When Ole came in it was like a breath of fresh air after the toxicity Mou left behind. We were all enjoying the change. What some people questioned was when he was given the job on a permanent basis which raised questions for a lot of us. The way we finished the season compounded that decision which made people doubt his pedigree. Since then it's been a roller coaster 3 years where he showed signs of improving only to blow it time and again which made getting behind Ole all the more difficult. Many people let their standards slip because it was Ole when if it was any other manager not affiliated to United they would of been calling for his head well before now.

stevoc

Well yeah, that's how the world works for most people mate. Do you believe everything that the club says, or do you sometimes try and read between the lines and make your own mind up?
Not all the time mate no. I don't automatically assume everything the club says is bullshit either.

But more importantly in this case it wasn't the club saying it, Solskjaer himself said it. He would have no reason to do the interview unless he wanted to and he would have no reason to say it was his idea if it wasn't.

el3mel

Some of the reactions in this thread are pathetic. I've been Ole out for a while, he wasn't going to win us anything and was tactically limited, but don't forget where he took us from. The dross we saw under the 3 managers before his was horrible, during the Ole era i was always entertained and the team did improve. That deserves some respect. It's all gone extra wrong this season, but he earnt the opportunity.
He took us 6th and left us 8th. :lol:

Revan

Assumptionman
Weird how many are hung up on how fans of other clubs perceive us. Are you really that insecure? Most of them fecking hate us anyway, so why would you even give a shit? We've been taking the piss out of Liverpool fans in general, and RAWK specifically, for ages, yet I've never gotten the impression that they ever gave a solitary toss about what we or others think of them.
They definitely did when we were relevant. For example, against Aston Villa match when we won the title in 2013, we were quoting them and at the same time they were fuming and calling us (the posters who were trolling them) names in their own forum.

Blood Mage

The more you think about it the more absurd it seems. Over 20% of our defeats have come under Ole, it's been a humiliating last few months and he thought it was a good idea to film a farewell interview as if he's leaving the club after a successful spell? It feels very undignified and I hope he wasn't coaxed into doing it by our PR department. The poor guy needs to go back to Norway and lick his wounds for a while.

Halftrack

Well, I addressed that in one of my earlier posts:

"Club PR have played a blinder again. Instead of people questioning how the board came to give such a mediocre manager 2(!) contracts everyone is now acting like he was giving up his time for free, and you'd think he'd pulled the club out of its darkest time since Munich to read some of the revisionism (just as a reminder we finished 2nd just 6 months before he was appointed...)"

Basically it suits the club to create this environment of misty eyed nostalgia around what is actually just a sacking, because it stops any scrutiny over their own failures. My opinion.
Not everything is a nefarious plot.

They definitely did when we were relevant. For example, against Aston Villa match when we won the title in 2013, we were quoting them and at the same time they were fuming and calling us (the posters who were trolling them) names in their own forum.
That's interforum rivalry, connected to club rivalry, over specifics. I've never gotten the impression that they particularly care what we think of them or how we view their club.

BlueMoon clearly does, but they have small man syndrome and take everything as a slight. Is that who we want to be like?'

The ignore button exists. No one is forcing you to read my posts.
No one's forcing you to go around and shit up every Ole thread either, but here you are anyway.

bugmat

Ole is a playing legend but he was never qualified to handle a mammoth club like ours. He was set up to fail with a clueless board not ensuring he was at least surrounded with proper experience (Mike Phelan was never that - he's failed himself as a manager in Australia of all places). Too many inexperienced people and one failed veteran wasn't a good mix. managing by committee is a big part of the issues - too many novice cooks.

The board put him through more than he should have , and he shouldn't have been given the first contract after being caretaker (he should have been let go after the EL final and/or after Liverpool/City during the break), but at least he can say he tried his best. Just wasn't good enough for more than what we've seen. Liking him can't change the fact he was never the right man to do more than reset the club after Mou's poison.

The real problems remain because they are upstairs - the board and CEO.

This video is good sentimentality for the fans and Ole, but the fact it was done and done now (not later) implies more attempts by the board to deflect from their failures by blinding us with romanticism and sentiment. No other club would do this for a failed manager, even a playing legend (see Koeman at Barca for one, Gattuso at Milan etc) after firing them. You can see this happening for a successful manager eg Fergie, Wenger, but one who hasn't won trophies? We are just being fed more content to try and keep us off their back and paint a picture that is far from the reality - we are in freefall.

We are still a club who cares more about content for social media consumption and clicks than about actual football outside of it fueling the first.

el3mel

No one's forcing you to go around and shit up every Ole thread either, but here you are anyway.
Is this for real? :lol:

I have the right to post whenever and wherever I want as long as I'm not breaking the forum rules.

If you want to reply that's fine, if you think my posts are tedious, put me on the ignore list instead of forcing yourself to read them.

Easy.

Rusholme Ruffian

Not all the time mate no. I don't automatically assume everything the club says is bullshit either.

But more importantly in this case it wasn't the club saying it, Solskjaer himself said it. He would have no reason to do the interview unless he wanted to and he would have no reason to say it was his idea if it wasn't.
We're going around in circles here - it's absolutely fine for us to disagree you know?!

I get that I'm being cynical and suspicious, but that is based on what we all know about how reluctant Woodward was to pull the trigger on Ole - it is in his interests to take the heat off his own role in the shitshow of the last few months. It's also based on the club being well aware that they would rather fans around the world were watching a nostalgic farewell video from Ole rather than questioning why the hell he wasn't sacked before the international break when we all knew that a result like the Watford one was pretty likely, and now have a couple of must-win fixtures coming up with Michael Carrick at the helm.

Once again I am not trying to convince anybody of anything, but personally would not be at all surprised if as part of the severance agreement discussions it was suggested that some kind of statement was needed from Ole. I can also imagine that the PR team might realise that a video statement would be most powerful medium to use and put that to him. I can also imagine them suggesting that it would look better if everyone was briefed that this was Ole's idea - to ensure that nobody felt the club was forcing him into it...and that would also explain why he mentions it in the video. I have never worked for a football club but I know how these things have worked in other organisations that I've worked for. I also think it's unlikely that Ole - who must have felt like absolute shit at that point and probably just wanted to go home to his wife and kids - was genuinely thinking 'you know what, I think I'd like to make a video for the fans now!'

What you choose to believe is absolutely up to you, but you've spent an entire morning trying to tell me that my opinion is somehow wrong.

studs

He came here on grace and left the place a disgrace.

Last edited:

BorisManUtd

Don't understand the comments. Yes, he never got the best out of this team, finished 3rd and 2nd without winning silverware with all disaster results that happened these last 2 months , no doubt he had to go, but there's nothing wrong with doing that exit interview, it's classy and shows how much he cares about the club. Last 3 managers all failed in the end as well but were never as humble, so it's a much more respectful and less toxic way to end it.

Crashoutcassius

I think this is a real touch of class. He so rarely puts a foot wrong in what he says. Such a calm and composed character. When j first saw I was surprised because this is the first time I've ever seen this, but I think it comes across well

Zlatattack

He took us from Sunday league, and sent us on the verge of becoming champions.

Actually no. He took us sixth in the table. Left us 8th in the table. The season before he took us, we finished 2nd with 81 points. The season before he left us, we finished 2nd with 74 points.

430 million to send us sideways, actually when you consider points, the current table position, and the lack of trophies, it is 430m to send us backwards.

A very nice guy. And the reason why we are in such a mess.
He took us 6th and left us 8th. :lol:
When he took over the club the squad was rubbish, we couldn't kick a ball straight and confidence was shattered. When he left us.... the squad is great.

Halftrack

Is this for real? :lol:

I have the right to post whenever and wherever I want as long as I'm not breaking the forum rules.

If you want to reply that's fine, if you think my posts are tedious, put me on the ignore list instead of forcing yourself to read them.

Easy.
You've been going back and forth between threads posting :lol: and ridiculing people for holding a more positive view of Ole than you. You're obviously free to do that, but it makes you fecking tedious. There's really no need for it.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Cant believe I spent weeks after Ronaldo signed thinking this is it, we are winning the league or at least put out a proper challenge, only to find Ole farewell video in November.