Ole’s farewell interview

DeGea

I'd expect United fans to watch that interview and feel sympathy for a legend who is clearly broken up by failing to achieve enough.

The fact that some of you, having got what you wanted for so long, are still so mean-spirited makes you look like a seriously toxic bunch.
This. 100%.

mu4c_20le

He did his best, and actually cared about the club out of all the post SAF managers. All we could ask.

Xaviboy

Great guy but not cut out to be a top coach. Fair play to him and interview. Best of luck Ole.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
But he's also exacerbated the issues. Namely, the squad is more top heavy than ever. It was top heavy before, but we have so much attacking talent (of which most can't play on any given occasion) and so little in terms of central midfield talent (of which there isn't enough to even field a balance midfield with).

Individually, yes, he's brought in some top talent, but taken as a balance, as a whole, we're just as imbalanced as we was before.
The job of Murtough etc to sell them no?

b82REZ

Would you swap Fernandes, Ronaldo, Cavani, Greenwood, Varane for Pereira, Jones, Lukaku, Alexis etc? If no then he has improved the squad.
What about the rest of the squad? Plus the two strikers hardly scream long term planning and squad building. The other two will likely be mainstays under a new manager but he's signed much more than those.

GazTheLegend

Pretty much admits he is not a good coach.
Personally feel like Ole is (or could be) an unbelievably good director of football for a club. Whatever anyone might think of him, his major issue and what's got him sacked is that the players he bought should be doing better than they are. That's on both him and them, but the public and media perception of him doesn't help him and it's a real shame because he did some great work here and it's going to be overlooked, maybe especially if we go on to win something now - much like Molde, who had never won ANYTHING until he went there, and who went on to win even more as part of his legacy there.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
What about the rest of the squad? Plus the two strikers hardly scream long term planning and squad building. The other two will likely be mainstays under a new manager but he's signed much more than those.
What do you mean what about the rest of the squad? Which players did he buy that were a downgrade on who we had already? Absolutely puddled if you’d swap the squad we had at the end of Jose compared to now. :lol:

arnie_ni

Mental. What is going on?

Why put him through that for one and then why the feck would you accept thr offer and do the interview?

Norris

Some of the comments here are unbelievable. Show your human side for once. Yes he was not good enough, but that interview shows his human side and how much he loves the club. He clearly tried his very best in good faith but ultimately just was not good enough and he knows that, he is not an idiot. Loved the interview, shows we have got class and will always respect people.

Football means a lot, but it is not everything in life.

Thanks Ole for all that you have tried to do. Will always be a legend. Deserved to go. Shame it didn't work out.
Seconded.
Agreed and thirded.

Hoof the ball

You clearly dont remember the squad before.
Not all the problems have been fixed and we really need to sort midfield. But we are miles ahead of where we were squad wise.
As of Mourinho's departure and Ole's succession, our offensive talent consisted of:

- Alexis Sanchez
- Anthony Martial
- Romelu Lukaku
- Marcus Rashford
- Jesse Lingard

Our midfield talent consisted of:

- Nemanja Matic
- Scott McTominay
- Fred
- Paul Pogba
- Ander Herrera
- Marouane Fellaini

Now, even then, the offensive options are more plenteous in terms of quality than our midfield ones. It's blatantly obvious that the midfield area required the most immediate attention of the two. The forward options were well-stacked by comparison.

Ole came in and since then brought in the following attacking creative players. Ighalo, James, Cavani, Bruno (not a CM), VdB (Ole intended him for AM purposes and not CM, so not CM in this context), Cavani, Amad, Pellistri, Ronaldo, Sancho. That's ten players of an offensive positioning or nature.

How many actual CM's or DM's? Zero. Not even one. He even sold a regular CM in Herrera, so, we didn't even get a squad replacement for him.

He did invest in the defence, but I'm not convinced that if we get a progressive manager/coach to take over that he'll persist with AWB since he's a 50m defensively solid FB who isn't trusted in attacking phases, as evidenced by Ole even going to Trippier (who isn't obviously sitting on the bench).

DavelinaJolie

Despite my earlier comment, I am a human being and do feel compassion for the man. It clearly means a lot to him and I'm sure he's gutted it worked out this way. I know I felt he needed to go, but I've never felt resentment or anger towards Ole through all this.

I do really like the top.

The Hacker

It was never about him or his ego here. You can tell how much he loves the club. To do an interview alone is more than can be expected of anyone after leaving.

such a shame as we all wanted it to to work for him. He inherited a mess, let’s not forget that.

Best of luck!

b82REZ

The board are trotting out a man that clearly loves the club to try and appease the fans.

This is undoubtedly one of the worse things I've seen the board do. Putting a freshly sacked man out in front of the world for a few social media clicks while pretending to do this as "we're different as a club".

lilcurt

Heartbreaking watch. Can't decide if it is a class act from the club or a final piece of humiliation for him. I feel half of his job was always protecting the perception of those above him, something a manager shouldn't be concerned with.

I will forever love Ole, sadly he wasn't the manager for us. I wanted to desperately to be proven wrong but for me it was obvious after the EL final.

Thank you Ole.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Top bloke, Ole. He’s not on the same level as Ferguson, Guardiola, Tuchel or Klopp. Absolutely no shame in that.

I wanted him gone a long time ago but I can still recognise a) a lot of good he did here, and b) he’s as Red as they come. A lot of United fans leaving their common decency at the door today. Not nice, that.

TheGame

Some of the comments here are unbelievable. Show your human side for once. Yes he was not good enough, but that interview shows his human side and how much he loves the club. He clearly tried his very best in good faith but ultimately just was not good enough and he knows that, he is not an idiot. Loved the interview, shows we have got class and will always respect people.

Football means a lot, but it is not everything in life.

Thanks Ole for all that you have tried to do. Will always be a legend. Deserved to go. Shame it didn't work out.
Some feckers in here are too childish to have any human side. They’d rather keep slagging him off.

Schnappo

I kinda wish the club had cut out the last 30 seconds of that interview. A sad and very touching moment that will ultimately be used as a meme no doubt. :(

Gutted it didn't work out. Top guy.

SuperiorXI

Nice gesture from the club. Even though it didn't work out for Ole he still brought us some great moments as manager and will always be a legend here. He will always deserve upmost respect as he gave us arguably our greatest ever moment in 1999.

I wanted it to work but it just wasn't to be. Felt different when he got sacked to when other managers have been given the boot, it's more upsetting because Ole is truly one of us.

0161_UNITED

I would literally slap the piss out of some of the disrespectful posters I’ve seen on here. I would take off my glove, slap you across the face with it in front of your family and mates, and challenge you to a duel in the street if you dared to talk that shite in public and in person. I feel sickened and sad for these heartless bastards for whom society, the educational system, and your parents and family have obviously failed you.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Despite my earlier comment, I am a human being and do feel compassion for the man. It clearly means a lot to him and I'm sure he's gutted it worked out this way. I know I felt he needed to go, but I've never felt resentment or anger towards Ole through all this.

I do really like the top.
Totally agree with this!

Kag

It’s perfectly possible that Ole wanted to send a message out to the fans, and that this wasn’t the hostage situation some of you are making out.

Granted it’s unconventional, but the whole Ole managing United situation was unconventional from the outset.

Some of you lot would see his head on a spike outside of Carrington the way you’re going on. Nutters.

cfkane

It was stupid for them to do this interview, but it bothers me somewhat how many of the comments talk about Ole as if he was "nothing special" True, he was not a great manager, but 6 PL Championships, 2 FA Cups a UCL trophy and an Intercontinental cup for the Club is why he will always be "something special" to the fans that can remember what he was as a player and can remember 1999. Of course, the club don't want to be seen as disrespecting Ole by the fans because of how much he has always been revered, hince this interview and the lack of using the term "sacked", but it is obvious that they have treated him badly by stringing this out so long, but some on the Caf should at least have enough class to slag the Board and owners for how they handled this and hold a little respect for a club legend.

b82REZ

What do you mean what about the rest of the squad? Which players did he buy that were a downgrade on who we had already? Absolutely puddled if you’d swap the squad we had at the end of Jose compared to now. :lol:
It doesn't look much better than the end of Jose's reign. You handpicked a select few signings and then listed the absolute worse players still on our books and asked if I'd want to swap them. The fact those shit players are still contracted to the club is on Ole. His squad building has been average at best.

We don't have to pretend he's done some excellent job at building a squad when there's a very good chance in 12 months a lot of his signings won't be in the first team.

Acquire Me

He’s a legend and a class act. I wish him nothing but success going forward. So sad that it didn’t work out, but that’s life. He is leaving behind something great and I look forward to see our next manager take us to the next level.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
I'd expect United fans to watch that interview and feel sympathy for a legend who is clearly broken up by failing to achieve enough.

The fact that some of you, having got what you wanted for so long, are still so mean-spirited makes you look like a seriously toxic bunch.
Well said, mate.

You’ve summed it up perfectly, for me.