Ole and the mystery Mohican footballer

lysglimt

Scout
This remind me of a classic story from Norway. Midfielder Kjetil Osvold in 1986 played the best match of his career against Argentina. Had a nutmeg on Maradona and scored the winner. This peaked Brian Cloughs interest and he signed Osvold for Forest.

Osvold was a blonde guy with fairly long hair and Clough immediately ordered Osvold to get a haircut. Osvold who was proud of his long hair wouldnt take crap from Clough and told him "You can't order me to cut my hair". Clough repliied: You are right, but I decide who plays.

Osvold cut his hair (but still didn't play much so he probably regretted it)

USREDEVIL

This remind me of a classic story from Norway. Midfielder Kjetil Osvold in 1986 played the best match of his career against Argentina. Had a nutmeg on Maradona and scored the winner. This peaked Brian Cloughs interest and he signed Osvold for Forest.

Osvold was a blonde guy with fairly long hair and Clough immediately ordered Osvold to get a haircut. Osvold who was proud of his long hair wouldnt take crap from Clough and told him "You can't order me to cut my hair". Clough repliied: You are right, but I decide who plays.

Osvold cut his hair (but still didn't play much so he probably regretted it)
I remember this story but the guy was called Samson and not Osvold.

Robertd0803

This is possibly the reason why. In Scandinavian countries we are not too flashy, and having a hairstyle that screams superstar without having accomplished anything goes a bit against what we have here called Janteloven (Law of Jante) where the mantra is "dont believe that you're all that" - Players of course have to fit into the dressing rooms as well, so there is a cultural aspect to it.

He basically tells you that the person might have had an inflated ego compared to his accomplishments and the culture he was in, Im sure Ole would have picked up on him if the scouted player really was all that
Exactly this.

And also hes clearly not being serious (or if he is its only one aspect of the story).

People will react to anything these days.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
Ole wasn't wrong on this one. The fact no one knows this Mohican so he probably failed as a professional footballer.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
LvG didn't love Brazilians, Ole doesn't dig mohawks... at least Phelan likes exploding balloons.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
The comment is cringeworthy, inappropriate and just plain stupid coming from the Manchester United manager.

We are a place looking to attract talent. Forgetting all the nonsense around the club and how hard it is to get people to join as it is, having the manager come out and speak some 8th century shit like this will damage our prospects.

Anyone that's ever had to recruit people will be taught not to judge and manage their biases, give people a fair chance.

Even as a joke, this is wrong. In a normal line of work, HR would be having a word with you.

Champagne Football

The comment is cringeworthy, inappropriate and just plain stupid coming from the Manchester United manager.

We are a place looking to attract talent. Forgetting all the nonsense around the club and how hard it is to get people to join as it is, having the manager come out and speak some 8th century shit like this will damage our prospects.

Anyone that's ever had to recruit people will be taught not to judge and manage their biases, give people a fair chance.

Even as a joke, this is wrong. In a normal line of work, HR would be having a word with you.
Nonsense. I think it's a thinly veiled warning to young players like Diallo, Garner, Greenwood etc that it be won't tolerated for young players to start acting like Big-Time Charlie's before they've won anything. Already there's been a couple of issues with Greenwood that would make you question if he has what it takes to be a bona fide Utd player.

Shiva87

Doesn't really matter if he was at Molde or United. Doesn't matter if he's 16 or 25.

There are many reasons to pass on someone these days it including football ability, but this ain't one of them
In your opinion I guess. Not in Ole's. Ultimately a manager sets a team up with people he can work with, and maybe Ole doesn't enjoy the flashy types if they have not made it yet.

The player was getting scouted for Molde, so clearly he wasn't a top player who has shown enough to establish he has the right attitude despite his flairy hairstyles.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
In your opinion I guess. Not in Ole's. Ultimately a manager sets a team up with people he can work with, and maybe Ole doesn't enjoy the flashy types if they have not made it yet.

The player was getting scouted for Molde, so clearly he wasn't a top player who has shown enough to establish he has the right attitude despite his flairy hairstyles.
Flashy types, flairy hairstyles on the basis of a mohawk? Surely there are mohawks that go a bit over the top (also quite defining for mohawks ) but don't you think this is a bit much? For some people a mohawk even suits their headshape better than other hairstyles.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Nonsense. I think it's a thinly veiled warning to young players like Diallo, Garner, Greenwood etc that it be won't tolerated for young players to start acting like Big-Time Charlie's before they've won anything. Already there's been a couple of issues with Greenwood that would make you question if he has what it takes to be a bona fide Utd player.
A great manager, manages.

Rooney, Beckham, Cantona, Rio, Ronaldo. Sir Alex helped them all over come problems (either their own, or thrust upon them by the media) and brought them back to World Class standards.

Sir Alex also repeatedly has spoken about how he wished he had got to manage Paul Gasgoine as Fergie thinks he could have helped him deal with his demons. Lofty goals, and Gasgoine himself pointed out that many players under Fergie had demons.

Regardless, Mason is 19. Let's manage him.

Mickson

This is possibly the reason why. In Scandinavian countries we are not too flashy, and having a hairstyle that screams superstar without having accomplished anything goes a bit against what we have here called Janteloven (Law of Jante) where the mantra is "dont believe that you're all that" - Players of course have to fit into the dressing rooms as well, so there is a cultural aspect to it.

He basically tells you that the person might have had an inflated ego compared to his accomplishments and the culture he was in, Im sure Ole would have picked up on him if the scouted player really was all that
A professional and successful manager (or footballer) doesn't care about 'jantelagen', and that's why they are where they are. Because they ignored it and went their own way. Talk to Zlatan about 'jantelagen'! In this case, I think the comment is really cringeworthy and this is something Roy Keane says, not Ole.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
In this day an age Id say its a poor thing to
say even as a joke

Harold_Giles

Ffs it was a light comment about something he said years ago when he was working for Molde.

Ole playes Pogba every week even though he's been sporting a catalogue of shit haircuts.

People will go extraordinary lengths to bash our manager, it can't be healthy.

Mainoldo

Ffs it was a light comment about something he said years ago when he was working for Molde.

Ole playes Pogba every week even though he's been sporting a catalogue of shit haircuts.

People will go extraordinary lengths to bash our manager, it can't be healthy.
Well why bring it up? I’m sure if we did a case study on what ethnic origin dominated that hair style in Norway he’d be back tracking on his stupid joke. He needs to leave media to Michael Carrick like how he gives up his coaching responsibilities.

ROFLUTION

A professional and successful manager (or footballer) doesn't care about 'jantelagen', and that's why they are where they are. Because they ignored it and went their own way. Talk to Zlatan about 'jantelagen'! In this case, I think the comment is really cringeworthy and this is something Roy Keane says, not Ole.
That's such an unnuanced an uninsightful comment about Janteloven I think, based off 1 player.

Zlatan is such an anormality when it comes to Jantelagen. And Janteloven/lagen is not a bad thing necesarily as it in some cases makes you down to earth and critical thinking albeit you shouldnt completely live by it. Bendtner also gave a feck about Jantelagen and he only made little out of the big talent he actually had. Scored goals for fun in the youth ranks. However a lot of footballers who have been down to earth when Janteloven thrived is also players who have gotten the furthest i.e. Euro 92 winners Denmark and Sweden Bronze World Cup winners 94. Not to mention a lot of other national teams who went far. Sepp Piontek's + Johansson's Denmark of the 80's and Drillo's (boring) teams of the 90's

Last edited:

Matriac

Well why bring it up? I’m sure if we did a case study on what ethnic origin dominated that hair style in Norway he’d be back tracking on his stupid joke. He needs to leave media to Michael Carrick like how he gives up his coaching responsibilities.
Did Ole run over your nan or something?

It's a Q&A from fans done in an entertainment setting where he and the host is joking around.
He was asked about what he saw in Bruno and what he looks at when scouting for players in person, so he tells a humoristic anecdote about that. The host even replies "That's class."

He's not saying he wouldn't ever sign a player that likes fancy haircuts, it's all about context. A player acting like he already made it would not do well in the Norwegian league.
I'm certain that they stayed to watch the player, but saying he could already see from when he walked out with his haircut and demeanor that he wouldn't fit in makes for a better story after.

He doesn't even specify which country they went to, so there's no way to identify, nor alienate any players.

Cheer up, go get some easter-candy, but stay away from the sour stuff.

Acole9

Outstanding
Does it really matter what he said. Pretty sure when Bebe signed SAF told him to go down the barbers.

Mickson

That's such an unnuanced an uninsightful comment about Janteloven I think, based off 1 player.

Zlatan is such an anormality when it comes to Jantelagen. And Janteloven/lagen is not a bad thing necesarily as it in some cases makes you down to earth and critical thinking albeit you shouldnt completely live by it. Bendtner also gave a feck about Jantelagen and he only made little out of the big talent he actually had. Scored goals for fun in the youth ranks. However a lot of footballers who have been down to earth when Janteloven thrived is also players who have gotten the furthest i.e. Euro 92 winners Denmark and Sweden Bronze World Cup winners 94. Not to mention a lot of other national teams who went far. Sepp Piontek's + Johansson's Denmark of the 80's and Drillo's (boring) teams of the 90's
It was with tongue in cheek I named Zlatan. Of course, you have a point. I think it's about balance. You need a bit of both, which I think every top player and coach has. However, as I see it, it weighs over to the "don't give a crap" if you want to be the best. Ronaldo, Messi, even Haaland if we are talking about a Scandinavian.

Foxbatt

Gullit had a rasta hairstyle. Played bass guitar in a band too. Didn't make him a bad player.
I think it's their attitude that's important. I think Ole didn't mean to say that he would not buy a player who had a different hairstyle but it sounded like one. Trying to get one for Molde is very different from trying to get one for United.

Mainoldo

Did Ole run over your nan or something?

It's a Q&A from fans done in an entertainment setting where he and the host is joking around.
He was asked about what he saw in Bruno and what he looks at when scouting for players in person, so he tells a humoristic anecdote about that. The host even replies "That's class."

He's not saying he wouldn't ever sign a player that likes fancy haircuts, it's all about context. A player acting like he already made it would not do well in the Norwegian league.
I'm certain that they stayed to watch the player, but saying he could already see from when he walked out with his haircut and demeanor that he wouldn't fit in makes for a better story after.

He doesn't even specify which country they went to, so there's no way to identify, nor alienate any players.

Cheer up, go get some easter-candy, but stay away from the sour stuff.
Nope. Just decided to manage my club.

ROFLUTION

It was with tongue in cheek I named Zlatan. Of course, you have a point. I think it's about balance. You need a bit of both, which I think every top player and coach has. However, as I see it, it weighs over to the "don't give a crap" if you want to be the best. Ronaldo, Messi, even Haaland if we are talking about a Scandinavian.
Haha fair enough. I fundamentally agree, but I more see it as a sign that you need to make the sacrifices that others dont. To me Messi screams of being down to earth and is probably the GOAT. Laudrup too - Both very elegant without "giving a crap". But these type of debates are like quoting the bible by picking the verse that suits one's agenda. Examples in both directions can be found

matsdf

Didn't SAF get Beckham to cut his hair? This comment is straight out of SAF's book, funny slating Ole for it.

Rightnr

Didn't SAF get Beckham to cut his hair? This comment is straight out of SAF's book, funny slating Ole for it.
That was also 20 or more years ago. It seems some people in our fanbase think the same way the club is managed - like dinosaurs.

Rightnr

Some serious, serious fecking gowls have infested this forum now :lol:.

Imagine actually getting annoyed by this, you'd want to be some fecking luxury resort.
Look at Mr Top Red Brexit hard man here. So brave and confrontational shouting around but being too much of a coward to address people directly.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Insulting another member
Look at Mr Top Red Brexit hard man here. So brave and confrontational shouting around but being too much of a coward to address people directly.
Here, let me address you directly - you're a cnut. Also, what in the blue feck does brexit have to do with anyhing here you nonsensical tosspot? Seems like I hit a nerve.

Anyway, anyone complaining about an off-the-cuff comment such as this is not very intelligent. Thanks for confirming this.

big rons sovereign

Doesn't really matter if he was at Molde or United. Doesn't matter if he's 16 or 25.

There are many reasons to pass on someone these days it including football ability, but this ain't one of them
Funny how those principles don't work for sticks to beat him with though.....

Rightnr

Here, let me address you directly - you're a cnut. Also, what in the blue feck does brexit have to do with anyhing here you nonsensical tosspot? Seems like I hit a nerve.

Anyway, anyone complaining about an off-the-cuff comment such as this is not very intelligent. Thanks for confirming this.
Firstly, reported.

Secondly, shouting insults at people who disagree with you and then call those people unintelligent is sweet irony but not sure I'd expect you to clock onto that.

Thirdly, after all this talk about culture and United DNA to have the face of this supposed revamp come out and make thinly (to some, not to others) veiled remarks about someone's appearance which can be construed as discrimination by anyone not trying to play the top red role is again quite the irony. Now you may not see it this way because you probably share this view but it is a pretty valid concern.

Finally, the only unintelligent thing I've done here is arguing with you.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
While I agree with Ole on setting a certain standards one can't help thinking that managers should be careful in not divulging such things to the public. Players are becoming more prima donnas at each generation that passes. Capello had a revolt in his hands in the England camp because he banned ketchup, butter and chips during meal time.

Zen86

Firstly, reported.

Secondly, shouting insults at people who disagree with you and then call those people unintelligent is sweet irony but not sure I'd expect you to clock onto that.

Thirdly, after all this talk about culture and United DNA to have the face of this supposed revamp come out and make thinly (to some, not to others) veiled remarks about someone's appearance which can be construed as discrimination by anyone not trying to play the top red role is again quite the irony. Now you may not see it this way because you probably share this view but it is a pretty valid concern.

Finally, the only unintelligent thing I've done here is arguing with you.
This moral high ground is brought to you by the poster of...

Last edited: